Baker Mayfield...

KellyToughII

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

When someone compares Mayfield and Manziel its the first sign that person has only watched Mayfield here and there.  Manziel was a scramble first quarterback that rolled out constantly and played sandlot football.  A majority of Mayfields throws come from the pocket and the ball is out quick.  Not at all the same player.  Similar height maybe but Mayfield is a pocket thrower.

Mayfield has been held to a different standard.  He grabs his nuts and he is classless.  Rosen wears a f**k trump hat and people rave about his social awareness.  Give me a break with the fake outrage.  Please go on and tell me how classy Brett Favre was.

Manziel was not a scramble first QB. He made half a million plays from pocket and half a million sandlot. Not to mention when people compare the two it's for numerous different reasons, some legit and others not legit. 

Sorry but Mayfield having already gotten himself into plenty of trouble and he still stands on the sidelines grabbing himself and yelling F you to the other team when he knows he's on TV is completely idiotic and is exactly like Johnny Football whipping people off. Head cases like that don't make it as NFL QB's because you have to be a professional first and foremost.

The same people that want the Bills to get Mayfield are the same ones that wanted them to draft Manziel guaranteed. We need to find those threads in the archive. Mayfield will fail for the exact same reasons as Manziel: too short, head case, immature, product of college style offense.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Sorry but Mayfield having already gotten himself into plenty of trouble and he still stands on the sidelines grabbing himself and yelling F you to the other team when he knows he's on TV is completely idiotic and is exactly like Johnny Football whipping people off. Head cases like that don't make it as NFL QB's because you have to be a professional first and foremost.

The same people that want the Bills to get Mayfield are the same ones that wanted them to draft Manziel guaranteed. We need to find those threads in the archive. Mayfield will fail for the exact same reasons as Manziel: too short, head case, immature, product of college style offense.

This ^ Manziel 2.0. The QB is the face of your franchise. No one wants unnecessary distractions due to the QB’s on field behavior. It’s unfair to compare Mayfield’s immaturity to guys like a young Jim Kelly. Kelly had his off the field demons, and may have been quite arrogant, but he refrained from making a spectacle of himself on the field. Mayfield won’t be much help when he gets suspended for being an idiot in the pros. His behavior seems like the type of distraction that could tear a team apart. It’s also difficult to see him as someone McD would want on the roster. 

11 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm starting to fall in love with Baker.  The kid can flat out play, and you will never have to question his passion.  The height thing will need to be worked with, but his accuracy is tough to teach.

I could see him as a Russell Wilson/Brees type of player.

I really liked Manziel and I still believe that if he had committed himself to football he'd be a successful NFL QB.

Mayfield is The One as far as I'm concerned.  If you want a savior for this franchise, he's your guy.  Putting aside his attitude (which I like), his throws on the move remind me of Aaron Rogers.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really liked Manziel and I still believe that if he had committed himself to football he'd be a successful NFL QB.

Mayfield is The One as far as I'm concerned.  If you want a savior for this franchise, he's your guy.  Putting aside his attitude (which I like), his throws on the move remind me of Aaron Rogers.

I admittedly don't watch a ton of college football but make it a point to catch big games or games involving big time prospects.   Every time I watch Mayfield I come away impressed.  He slides well in the pocket and finds throwing lanes and I too like the fiery attitude.  Long way to go until the draft but at this point I would be very happy with him as the qb.  He doesn't strike me as a McDermott kind of guy though so it probably won't be him as frustrating as that may be.

Seems like Mayfield is someone everyone loves to play for.  His coach loves him, I think his passion for the game is unsurpassed by anyone.  He's the ultimate competitor.  I think his football character, and when you dig into a player before the draft, a lot of positive locker room things will come out in his defense, that'll counterbalance some of his more questionable moves

Edited by Laughing Coffin
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2017 at 9:30 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

I think you'll find a lot of overlap between Mayfield and Manziel guys. Some folks only take the negatives from the attitude, imo.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, Augie said:

Does the lack of maturity not concern you? I love moxy, I hate idiots...and it’s a fine line. I honestly don’t know what to think. 

No doubt he has behaved like a jerk. Other teams have gone out of their way to provoke him by such classless tactics of not shaking his hand at introductions or headhunting. He immaturely took the bait. He failed to control his intense emotions. But let's not exaggerate his scofflaws and portray him as criminal. 

If you watch how he relates to the other players you will see that he is a leader in which they rally towards. When a player fumbles or drops a pass he is the first person to go up to the player and offer support. This is a player in which football means a lot to him and he is committed to winning alongside with his teammates. Adding a passionate player to a sleepy team is not something that should be feared, it is something that should be embraced. The mediocre Bills not only need a jolt of talent but also a jolt of attitude.

At this point I'm not committed to any one qb but without a doubt he is one of my favorites. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He looks the part but something about his game doesn't seem right. Not sure what but I don't come away feeling like Rudolph is the guy.

Same way my friend...his accuracy seems like it’s “area code” and his arm strength appears mediocre- floats a lot of passes and doesn’t really drive the ball like you would think a guy his size should- and he is surrounded by talent.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The tricky part about evaluating talent in college is the fact the talent disparity is so great in college.  OU has way more talent than most of their opponents so it's hard to really gauge Mayfield's talent.  Is he really that good?  Or is the other team that bad?  It may seem unfair to bring this up but there's some truth to it.  It's a big reason why EJ got drafted so highly (along with his measurables).  While FSU wasn't at its greatest when EJ was there, they always had talent at the skill positions which benefited EJ.  

Edited by Bills757

4 hours ago, Bills757 said:

The tricky part about evaluating talent in college is the fact the talent disparity is so great in college.  OU has way more talent than most of their opponents so it's hard to really gauge Mayfield's talent.  Is he really that good?  Or is the other team that bad?  It may seem unfair to bring this up but there's some truth to it.  It's a big reason why EJ got drafted so highly (along with his measurables).  While FSU wasn't at its greatest when EJ was there, they always had talent at the skill positions which benefited EJ.  

If you watched ej in college it was clear to see he was average QB with inaccuracy. The main reason he was drafted was because of "potential" . However he was even worse than I predicted.

Oklahoma plays against good schools and even out of conference games like Ohio St.

36 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Mayfield is a hot head like Ryan Leaf, no thanks!

The comparison to Leaf is crazily off the mark. Leaf's teammates in college didn't even like him. Mayfield is warmly embraced by his fellow mates. Mayfield is an intense competitor who cares about winning. He is a hard worker who thoroughly prepares. 

Mayfield at times has acted inappropriately. He would be first person to say so. As a prototypical qb he would not be at the top of the list. But from a production standpoint he is as good as any qb in this draft. How can anyone not like a qb that Kirby, a stern evaluator,  has taken a shine to? :D

This guy is the best QB in the draft. He goes through progressions, finds the open man, and delivers a strike wherever he chooses to put the ball downfield. He does it week in and week out for the last three years.     

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, H2o said:

This guy is the best QB in the draft. He goes through progressions, finds the open man, and delivers a strike wherever he chooses to put the ball downfield. He does it week in and week out for the last three years.     

...if he can keep his head screwed on straight, it's there for his taking..............

On 11/29/2017 at 2:50 PM, CajunBillsBacker said:

Mayfield is a hot head like Ryan Leaf, no thanks!

He's passionate. I'd take him no question.

5 hours ago, H2o said:

Man, does he throw an accurate ball or what? 

• Like (+1) 2

People want to talk about his character concerns, but he is a typical college kid. College kids party and do dumb stuff all the time. It's just part of the experience. Hell, they said Joey Bosa and Zeke Elliott were two of the biggest party animals at Ohio St. Now Zeke's faults are a little different than others, but I was just talking about the level of player.

I do remember Jim Kelly being called an a-hole on occasion and being known for his nights out drinking as well as many of the other Bills players on that team. Can you imagine if the technology available today was around back then? What about if they followed around LT or Michael Irvin, guys who still got caught for things without it? It's a different world these days. 

People make a big deal out of what happened at Kansas. So what. Who cares? People really need to stop with this overly sensitive bs. They were saying stuff to him so he threw a jab back. They say Phillip Rivers is the biggest trash talker in the NFL. He's pretty good. Cam will talk trash. We've all seen Brady talking :censored: on numerous occasions. I think he, Mayfield, is just passionate about football. 

If you've watched him play over the last 3 years then you know the guy is good. He can throw to all levels of the field, he sees the whole field, he's athletic enough to run, he can throw on the run, he always keeps his eyes downfield, has good arm strength to fit passes into tight windows, and he is accurate as evidenced by his 70% completion percentage for his whole college career. When he throws the ball he is also putting it in a place to allow his receivers to get the all important YAC. It's very impressive to watch.

If we're going QB then Mayfield is at the top of my list. After Mayfield is Rosen. I still think Darnold goes back to school next year, but I would actually have him 3rd. After those 3 there is a drop off to the next group. The next group being Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, and Lamar Jackson (who I don't see making it as a QB). But again, if we are going QB then Mayfield is the guy we should be after.  

Edited by H2o
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When you watch Mayfield play what comes to mind is that his style of play is conducive to playing right away. No doubt there will still be a learning curve and acclimation to the pro game but his short, medium and rhythm passing translate to the pros. Not only is he precisely accurate but his ball placement is uncanny. The receivers comfortably catch the ball in stride when he is slinging the ball. At first I thought that Darnold and Rosen were the qbs in which a lot of assets would be need to be expended to move up the board to select either of them. Now I'm adding him to the higher priced mix.  

A lot of teams need qbs In this draft. Close to half of the teams have a major deficit at that position. When the draft process is concluded and final evaluations are written up he is going to be near the top of the qb list. I do believe that there are at lest 3-4 very good franchise qb prospects in this draft. Although I am open to other options he is the qb that I would prefer the most, at least at this time. 

The biggest mistake this franchise can make is get distracted by the prototypical physical requirements for the position, The issue is simple: How do you play? Whenever I have seen him play, mostly against high level programs, he is easily identified as the best and most dynamic player on the field. If one likes players such as Russell Wilson or Drew Brees, as I do, then this is the qb that should be favored. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m torn on the guy...clearly he is super talented...just don’t know if I would take him over Rosen or Darnold if given the chance...I would probably take Mayfield 3rd- height and character concerns being the reasons.

Edited by JaCrispy

On 12/3/2017 at 6:49 PM, auburnbillsbacker said:

He is better in the pocket and finds his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th reads better than any other college QB.  He also throws a great deep ball and his teammates love him.  He is on the short side and there are some concerns about his character but he should be our pick in round 1.  

I'm not sure you've ever seen him play other than his highlights. Or maybe this was sarcasm?

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

I'm not sure you've ever seen him play other than his highlights. Or maybe this was sarcasm?

I have concerns about height and maturity,  but he’s fun to watch and seems to find the open guy. When  guys like Daniel Jeremiah and Kirk Herbstreit are very impressed, I have to at least listen. Herbstreit said this morning 5 years from now he could be the best from the class and we’ll be wondering why everyone didn’t see it. 

Time will tell. I don’t pretend to be an expert or owner of a crystal ball. I will say the Johnny Football comparisons are just lazy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.