Baker Mayfield...

KellyToughII

The good news is smart money is on both of us being right. Quarterback success rate in the NFL is something around 19% of those drafted.

Agree to disagree and wait to see how it turns out.

Well there's that are there's also:

- not a lot of successful short QB's

- not a lot of successful QB's from spread offense

- not a lot of successful QB's who were walk on

- not a lot of successful later round QB's (possible mid to late round pick)

Add to that what you said that 19% make it in the NFL. I haven't heard that stat but if that's true I'm taking my chances on someone tall from a pro style offense in round 1.

Well there's that are there's also:

- not a lot of successful short QB's

- not a lot of successful QB's from spread offense

- not a lot of successful QB's who were walk on

- not a lot of successful later round QB's (possible mid to late round pick)

Add to that what you said that 19% make it in the NFL. I haven't heard that stat but if that's true I'm taking my chances on someone tall from a pro style offense in round 1.

Yep, Darnold, Rosen.

• 2 weeks later...

Mayfield for HeIsman

@bustedcoverage

Baker Mayfield denies Mia Khalifa and drops the block hammer

https://bustedcoverage.com/2017/09/25/baker-mayfield-denies-mia-khalifa-on-twitter-photos-instagram-morgan-mayberry-girlfriend/amp/

Still not as good as this :D

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/911709440667086848

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think they lost because of Mayfield. But I didn't see any wow from him tonight. I thought the bigger wow throws came from the walk on 3rd stringer on the other side. Some things I like about Mayfield but I didn't come away excited to watch him again.

That was literally the first time I have watched him play.

Edited by GunnerBill

I don't think they lost because of Mayfield. But I didn't see any wow from him tonight. I thought the bigger wow throws came from the walk on 3rd stringer on the other side. Some things I like about Mayfield but I didn't come away excited to watch him again.

That was literally the first time I have watched him play.

Not his fault - their defense is crap. I'm just having fun

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Fair enough, and he’s looking good tonight. I still don’t trust Big 12 QB’s, and he needs to wear jerseys that cover his stomach better. Dude looks like he might become obese after he gets drafted as a pro. 

Think of that as IQ and “padding”? 

30 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Fair enough, and he’s looking good tonight. I still don’t trust Big 12 QB’s, and he needs to wear jerseys that cover his stomach better. Dude looks like he might become obese after he gets drafted as a pro. 

Think of that as IQ and “padding”? 

Might it be bubble wrap? 

TBD reasons for not liking Baker Mayfield:

Hes a drunk

He wear his jersey too short

Big 12 Quarterbacks dont play against good defenses

Hes Johnny Manziel

Only reaaons not to like Baker Mayfield:

Hes short

He plays in a spread offense

Meanwhile Ive read people tell me how great Lamar Jackson is. No crystal ball but Mayfield has been incredible to watch this year.  Best Quarterback in college football.

Edited by thenorthremembers

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Look away McDermott...?

And possible even a few draft spots. There’s a lot to like, but at what cost??? 

As Cowherd likes to say, he’s not very “quarterbackial”. I know a lot of folks hate Cowherd, but I agree thre face of the franchise should act a certain way. Time to mature. 

Meanwhile the other leading Heisman candidate skirts the sideline en route to a TD.  Which upon review shows his toe was just barely out of bounds.  FS1 cameras catch a shot of Barkley and Coach Franklin watching the replay on the Jumbotron and sportsmanly accepting that he stepped out

26 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Meanwhile the other leading Heisman candidate skirts the sideline en route to a TD.  Which upon review shows his toe was just barely out of bounds.  FS1 cameras catch a shot of Barkley and Coach Franklin watching the replay on the Jumbotron and sportsmanly accepting that he stepped out

They give Barkley the old “better person than player” praise, so I think we can sign him up for Sainthood soon. The guy can PLAY!  

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Unfortunately for Baker Mayfield, Johnny Manziel existed and was a total flameout. Mayfield is the reincarnation of Johnny Football and would be completely off my draft board

When someone compares Mayfield and Manziel its the first sign that person has only watched Mayfield here and there.  Manziel was a scramble first quarterback that rolled out constantly and played sandlot football.  A majority of Mayfields throws come from the pocket and the ball is out quick.  Not at all the same player.  Similar height maybe but Mayfield is a pocket thrower.

Mayfield has been held to a different standard.  He grabs his nuts and he is classless.  Rosen wears a f**k trump hat and people rave about his social awareness.  Give me a break with the fake outrage.  Please go on and tell me how classy Brett Favre was.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

When someone compares Mayfield and Manziel its the first sign that person has only watched Mayfield here and there.  Manziel was a scramble first quarterback that rolled out constantly and played sandlot football.  A majority of Mayfields throws come from the pocket and the ball is out quick.  Not at all the same player.  Similar height maybe but Mayfield is a pocket thrower.

Mayfield has been held to a different standard.  He grabs his nuts and he is classless.  Rosen wears a f**k trump hat and people rave about his social awareness.  Give me a break with the fake outrage.  Please go on and tell me how classy Brett Favre was.

Not that I think they are the same player at all

buy

jonny football did lead Division 1 football in accuracy and efficiency from the pocket his redshirt Sophomore year. So he was throwing from the pocket a lot his second year

his heisman year however...

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Manziel also did it against SEC defenses when the SEC was LOADED. Baker is doing it against the Big 12. Let’s not pretend Johnny wasn’t the player that he was. We don’t need recency bias to downplay Johnny. He was the best college player that I’ve ever seen.

With that being said, I love Baker. He is a playmaker and a bro. That swagger has long been lacking on this team. Baker would be a welcome addition. This QB class is going to be good. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Manziel also did it against SEC defenses when the SEC was LOADED. Baker is doing it against the Big 12. Let’s not pretend Johnny wasn’t the player that he was. We don’t need recency bias to downplay Johnny. He was the best college player that I’ve ever seen.

With that being said, I love Baker. He is a playmaker and a bro. That swagger has long been lacking on this team. Baker would be a welcome addition. This QB class is going to be good. 

Does the lack of maturity not concern you? I love moxy, I hate idiots...and it’s a fine line. I honestly don’t know what to think. 

The lazy comparisons to Manziel remind of the lazy comparisons folks made about Von Miller being the next Maybin, you heard a lot of that garbage when we drafting that year.  

Mayfield's a stud, wish we land him, we probably won't.

Edited by bouds

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.