Bills trade Ronald Darby for WR Jordan Matthews, 3rd rd pick

YoloinOhio

What are you talking about? Both of these guys were #1 on their respective teams... You are saying their #1 first stringers are '1 year borderline scrub rentals'? o.O

Yes. They are both FAs after next year.

Darby > Gaines

Watkins makes Matthews look like a scrub.

This is what I mean.

Its all about the draft picks. They are gonna get a QB this draft. I get the moves. I dont like losing Darby for Gaines tho.

Edited by Marty McFly

Bills 2018 1st first round pick should be top 10, 2nd 1st round pick be in the top 20.

Bills 2018 1st 2nd round pick should be in the top 5 and 2nd second round pick be in the top 10.

Bills 2018 1st 3rd round pick be in the top 10 and 2nd second round pick be in the top 20.

CAN WE PLEASE GET A DAMN FRANCHISE QB!

If the jets are at # 1 they are not trading out.

I'm in shock because I had high hopes for both Watkins and Darby.

Obviously Beane/McD are not enamored with Watkins (his work ethic & his injury history).

These moves were all about the 2018 draft picks.

Beane's vision is all about building the Bills through the draft. The draft picks give Beane the wherewithal to build the team HIS way.

You can bet that he's looking to obtain even more draft picks via compensatory picks if he's willing to do this. He could obtain a R3 and R4 for losing Gilmore and Woods. If that happens the Bills could have the following picks for the 2018 Draft:

R1/R1/R2/R2/R3/R3/R3/R4/R4/R5/R6/R7 (12 picks 7 in the first three rounds).

Remember how the J. Johnson-led Cowboys turned around their franchise by trading H. Walker for a boatload of picks and players. Those picks netted them HOFs T. Aikman/E. Smith/M. Irvin and ultimately the SB.

The Bills now have no outside deep receiving threat, and they have a qb who specializes in the long ball.

that was a three year blip, and he at least had 2 winning seasons. I'm talking over this millennium.

They have made numerous wise decisions and numerous bad ones for quite some time.

Far better than Bills though.

I hate these trades. Although if you trade Sammy you need a decent starter. Matthews is a decent starter. I feel bad for Kyle and Shady and Tyrod though.

They have made numerous wise decisions and numerous bad ones for quite some time.

I hate these trades. Although if you trade Sammy you need a decent starter. Matthews is a decent starter. I feel bad for Kyle and Shady and Tyrod though.

Check out Matthews' injury status right now. Seriously. He's also in the final year of his contract.

You should probably watch more football.

Um ... huh? That's not an argument.

Edited by dave mcbride

I also hate these trades. Seems like terrible judgment to me, but obviously B & M think they are the smartest guys in the room. Like my sign-off quote says, "The human mind is not a dignified organ."

Edited by Dr. K

Different regime. The one in place now is good - and better than the one the Bills have. Jordan Matthews is a semi-rich man's David Nelson. He is not good, but as I say above, someone has to catch the passes, and since Nelson Aguilar can't catch, Matthews is the beneficiary by default.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-jordan-matthews-knee-issue-may-be-more-than-tendinitis

Yikes , hope trade is based on him passing a physical

Mathews 46 gms 225 rec 2,673 yds

Watkins 37 gms 153 rec 2,459 yds

Yeah, Mathews sux

This is context-free. Matthews is not a game breaker, he can't beat people over the top, has average hands, and isn't particularly explosive. He appears to be a solid route runner. He is not terrible. He is simply garden-variety. That's great for a #2 or #3, but not a #1, and the Bills no longer have a real #1. Watkins is ten times the talent he is, and moreover Matthews reportedly has a knee issue.

I strongly suspect that both of these guys were toss-ins, for either cap, upcoming UDFA status, or roster reasons. The real trades were for the picks.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hooray, Matthews can amass virtually the same number of yards and TDs as Sammy on 75 more targets

Exactly! You are getting comparable production with the WR swap. Gaines is better suited than Darby for this style of D. AND we get 2 high chess pieces. Depending on how KC & Philly finish we could have 6 picks in the top 80 or so next year.

Look I'm not saying he's Watkins. Sammy was elite. But Jordan doesn't suck.

Edited by r00tabaga

Hooray, Matthews can amass virtually the same number of yards and TDs as Sammy on 75 more targets

Can cut both ways: more targets = available to play more often

Apologies if already posted:

NFL Draft Profile

OVERVIEW
Cousin of Hall of Famer Jerry Rice. Receiver-defensive back who also played basketball as an Alabama prep. Played all 52 games of his career. As a true freshman in 2010, started 10-of-12 games and caught 15 balls for 181 yards (12.1-yard average) and four touchdowns. Started all 13 games and paced Commodore receivers each of the next three seasons -- produced 41-778-5 (19.0) in '11; 94-1,323-8 (14.1) in '12; and 112-1,477-7 (13.2) in '13. Rewrote the VU receiving records and owns SEC records for career receptions (262) and receiving yards (3,759). Team captain.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Good length. Big zone target. Good form as a route runner. Sinks his hips and pops out of breaks. Concentrates, tracks and adjusts. Soft hands and sticky fingers. Has leaping ability to compete in the air. Opens up his stride in the clear and shows nice long speed. Good field awareness. Gives effort as a blocker. Competes and plays with intensity. Tough and intelligent. Lined up outside and inside and has punt-return experience. Team captain and four-year starter with record-setting production.
WEAKNESSES Could stand to bulk up his frame. Adequate line release. Fairly linear. Not a quick-twitch athlete. Does not show elite explosion to separate vertically. Lets some throws into his body and is not immune to concentration drops. Limited creativity and elusiveness after the catch. Can be moody and has some diva in him.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3
BOTTOM LINE Matthews is a tall, narrow-framed, West Coast possession receiver with soft hands, a professional approach and the versatility to line up inside or outside and become a solid No. 2 or No. 3. High-floor prospect.
A lot of similarities to Zay Jones with the bloodlines, production, and professional demeanor.

Exactly! You are getting comparable production with the WR swap. Gaines is better suited than Darby for this style of D. AND we get 2 high chess pieces. Depending on KC & Philly we could have 6 picks in the top 80 or so next year.

Neither of those things are true.

Sammy is far, far more productive when targeted. It's actually not even close.

Gaines is in no way a better fit than Darby--he's smaller and doesn't have the same coverage skill. He also lost his starting job to Kayvon Webster and has one less year on his deal.

Neither of those things are true.

Sammy is far, far more productive when targeted. It's actually not even close.

Gaines is in no way a better fit than Darby--he's smaller and doesn't have the same coverage skill. He also lost his starting job to Kayvon Webster and has one less year on his deal.

Yup. These were toss-ins. The trades were for the picks.

Exactly. I'll Take 2014 Gaines over 2016 Darby all day. By all accounts he's finally healthy.

If we're going to play this game, Darby 2015 was a LOT better than Gaines in 2014. He's simply more talented, although he struggled last season. He's going to be playing for a very good defensive coach now, though, so perhaps he'll rebound quickly.

I like the deal. We got a good receiver and good DB for multiple picks and gave up Darby (solid DB) and Watkins (China doll). We have depth at receiver and we are more of a running team anyways.

Stocking up picks and getting better depth or trading up (or down) for better talent has worked very well for the Patriots... why not follow that strategy.

Trading 1 frequently injured WR for another frequently injured WR is a wash in my book but then trading Darby and getting a 5'8" CB to replace him is a huge mistake in my book. Brady is licking his chops looking at our secondary.

We have stock piled out draft picks next year so we better get our franchise QB. I'm currently pulling for Josh Rosen (reminds me of Jimbo).

Go Bills!!!!!

I like the deal. We got a good receiver and good DB for multiple picks and gave up Darby (solid DB) and Watkins (China doll). We have depth at receiver and we are more of a running team anyways.

Stocking up picks and getting better depth or trading up (or down) for better talent has worked very well for the Patriots... why not follow that strategy.

we have a lot of them but nothing great