Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

That sounds so much like what the Bills players said about Sammy.

I mean, I can see some similarity in some of the comments but I don't remember reading anyone saying he was their favorite teammate, or that he pushed them to be better than what they were, or challenged them to be a man of god or "words can't describe the impact you've had on my life". Every single guy commented on Matthews character.

The Bills comments were more about being shocked about Sammy being traded, and a couple said they were sad to lose a friend. Zay Jones did say some nice things about Sammy being helpful. So yeah, similar in some regards, but different.

@4tommartin

Sammy Watkins at intro presser on the trade: "Just a total shock. But I'm definitely excited."

Watkins: "I'm 100% healthy. Foot thing is out the door. Probably need to get in a bit better shape but I'm fine."

Watkins: "Just being in LA can help me out. Nice weather.... a blessing to be here, to be on grass 8/9 games, being w/ Woods. It's great."

Watkins on early targets in #Bills preseason opener (smiling): "After the game I was like....oh, I probably was out there auditioning."

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bill ... you've been here a while and obviously are respected ... but do you really think give history .. 1 .. Sammy plays a full season .. 2 .. he resigns ... given past performance and his own commentary and also the Bills history of not overspending (i.e Jarius Byrd (which turned out a good choice, Levitre, Gilmore) ... bottom line .. we're a small market team ... we need to be like Green bay and build via the draft .. the past captains yes have sucked since the Marv Levy years ... but at least Pegula doesn't stand pat .. he moves on and tries a different route .. without faiure there is no success ... Lord knows we've failed a lot .. I'll take the future draft capital .. vs. what we got for Gilmore's departure .. i.e .. NADA

Now that's funny ... we do have a tradition of good tailgates ... and supporting the Bills .. so the slogan could work

Why would this matter...all teams build through the draft...the NFL makes billions in revenue and much of that is shared equally plus we have one of the wealthiest owners in the league. The small market line is a bunch of crap

@4tommartin

Sammy Watkins at intro presser on the trade: "Just a total shock. But I'm definitely excited."

Watkins: "I'm 100% healthy. Foot thing is out the door. Probably need to get in a bit better shape but I'm fine."

Watkins: "Just being in LA can help me out. Nice weather.... a blessing to be here, to be on grass 8/9 games, being w/ Woods. It's great."

Watkins on early targets in #Bills preseason opener (smiling): "After the game I was like....oh, I probably was out there auditioning."

Let's see...Buffalo or southern California.......tough choice

That sounds so much like what the Bills players said about Sammy.

:lol:

Why would this matter...all teams build through the draft...the NFL makes billions in revenue and much of that is shared equally plus we have one of the wealthiest owners in the league. The small market line is a bunch of crap

Well but actually - warmer weather and playing on grass are both better for soft tissue/flexibility, I'm fairly certain. So maybe that's what he meant.

I used to hate L.A. but the last few times I've visited I've fallen in love. Great food, great bars, and you throw up a tennis ball and it's going to land on a "10."

I mean, I can see some similarity in some of the comments but I don't remember reading anyone saying he was their favorite teammate, or that he pushed them to be better than what they were, or challenged them to be a man of god or "words can't describe the impact you've had on my life". Every single guy commented on Matthews character.

The Bills comments were more about being shocked about Sammy being traded, and a couple said they were sad to lose a friend. Zay Jones did say some nice things about Sammy being helpful. So yeah, similar in some regards, but different.

He was being facetious

Well but actually - warmer weather and playing on grass are both better for soft tissue/flexibility, I'm fairly certain. So maybe that's what he meant.

I used to hate L.A. but the last few times I've visited I've fallen in love. Great food, great bars, and you throw up a tennis ball and it's going to land on a "10."

Nice

The idea that everyone is gorgeous in LA. One of the worlds greatest myths. It all depends where you choose to throw that tennis ball up.

"soft" is the key word in that paragraph. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Amazing how many fans twist and turn in attempt to convince themselves that the latest WTF moment is actually a good thing for the team. I'm as critical of Watkins as anyone else had ever been but only a fool believes this was OBD being held hostage by a player with low "signability". This is the NFL the owners and GMs have all the leverage, throw around a few extra guaranteed dollars and players start singing tunes of praise.

It's a slap in the face to fans. "Run deep" "All in"... the next slogan should be a little more direct..."you're drunk and stupid just get in here and buy some hot dogs"

I hate to simplify things, but we will survive without Sammy. All of the Watkins fanboys will get over it. Are we Buffalo Bills fans or Sammy Watkins fans? The team comes first. We need to build a team. Team building was the purpose of this trade. No one knows whether or not we will choose the right guys to be build a winning team. That doesn't mean it's something we shouldn't try. We are not ready to be a winning team with Sammy on the roster. I don't love letting talent go, but Sammy is not going to make a huge difference in the W column.

The Whaley regime was all about style over substance. I can now see why so many Bills fans loved a losing GM. Bills fans and Buffalonians are well known for their inferiority complexes. Many of us have a need for star players/big names to be on this team. Without them we feel marginalized as if we are not on par with the elite teams. The only legitimate way to be on par with the elite teams is to win games. Maybe this trade can help us build a team that does so. Big names mean nothing when the franchise isn't winning games.

I mean, I've seen it - there are beautiful women everywhere in that town. It's unbelievable.

Looks and economic status often go hand in hand. There is a lot of money in LA, and there are 3.9 million people in the city. Of course their are a lot of beautiful women. Choose to venture away from the tourist areas and well to do neighborhoods, you will see a different story. It's not if you are genetically superior being born in LA. LA just has a lot of doctors and women with money. I have family in the inland empire. Trust me that LA's "beauty" doesn't extend very into the desert outside of the well to do areas. No different than anywhere else imo. Just a lot of wanna be actresses.

lol lots of eyecandy. good for a rich single boy like sammy.

Not single.

Looks and economic status often go hand in hand. There is a lot of money in LA, and there are 3.9 million people in the city. Of course their are a lot of beautiful women. Choose to venture away from the tourist areas and well to do neighborhoods, you will see a different story. It's not if you are genetically superior being born in LA. LA just has a lot of doctors and women with money. I have family in the inland empire. Trust me that LA's "beauty" doesn't extend very into the desert outside of the well to do areas. No different than anywhere else imo. Just a lot of wanna be actresses.

Not single.

Wanna be actresses is right - beautiful young women from all over the US especially the midwest move there in droves. Most of them don't have any money and are hoping to be "discovered," so I think you're only half right.

Wanna be actresses is right - beautiful young women from all over the US especially the midwest move there in droves. Most of them don't have any money and are hoping to be "discovered," so I think you're only half right.

Not just actresses but alot of idealists who want to break free from whatever town they grew up from. For many it's a chance to rebrand themselves into something new. Even though it is a very liberating lifestyle for many, the vast majority of my California peeps are all collectivists as well and they love that sense of community among with one another. My friends are mainly from the hippyesqe side of things but there are lots of them put there and most are transplants

Not just actresses but alot of idealists who want to break free from whatever town they grew up from. For many it's a chance to rebrand themselves into something new. Even though it is a very liberating lifestyle for many, the vast majority of my California peeps are all collectivists as well and they love that sense of community among with one another. My friends are mainly from the hippyesqe side of things but there are lots of them put there and most are transplants

Good point. Hotties of all types.

Not single.

Sammy not single? Oh LA will fix that LOL!!!

He was being facetious

haha. I'm not a fan of the trade at this point in time. But now that it's mentioned, I follow most of the Bills players on twitter and didn't see anything from anyone thanking Sammy or acting sad that he's gone (unless I missed it). Maybe meaningless but just compared to what happened with Jmatt.

haha. I'm not a fan of the trade at this point in time. But now that it's mentioned, I follow most of the Bills players on twitter and didn't see anything from anyone thanking Sammy or acting sad that he's gone (unless I missed it). Maybe meaningless but just compared to what happened with Jmatt.

Jmatt? Come on.

It could be in part that Brandon Tate is likely going to be the longest tenured WR on the roster and Tyrod is the only qb left.

That he's going to a team that has our #2 WR is likely some sort of implicit endorsement from the guy he probably spent most time with in woods

The price paid in draft currency to select Watkins insured that trading the player would never produce value in return. The only way the Bills could come close to value on investment was if Watkins became a star WR that produced on the field. The best course of action was to pick up SW 5th year option and see what happened in 2017 and 2018. A trade only guaranteed that two first round picks ( and now quite possibly a2nd round pick) were wasted. That is the outcome chosen by the Bills brain trust.

But what everyone is forgetting is that the cost of picking that option was quite high...about $13M....Now the management team has to decide if that was worth the ROI. It wasn't!

From my recollections, SW was an ok teammate. Never really caused any troubles aside from a twitter/fb rant or two, which really isn't "trouble" perse. He seemed to put his head down and was a professional on and off the field. Didn't really display any sort of leadership skills that I heard of but wasn't a pariah either.

However, it does it appear from all accounts that Matthews is a really good locker room type of guy who was a leader on his team willing to bend over backwards for his teammates. Throw that in with his good production, I would say that this is the sort of thing that factored into McD's/Bean's decision.

Hey Nucci ..check out this link to 2016 NFL Franchise Value from Forbes ... take a look at who is #32 ... surprise .. Buffalo ... not complaining .. just stating reality ... so sorry Forbes appears to be full of crap too in your logic.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Less than half the revenue of the #1 Cowboys and less than 10% of Net Income ... so there's your revenue sharing

From my recollections, SW was an ok teammate. Never really caused any troubles aside from a twitter/fb rant or two, which really isn't "trouble" perse. He seemed to put his head down and was a professional on and off the field. Didn't really display any sort of leadership skills that I heard of but wasn't a pariah either.

However, it does it appear from all accounts that Matthews is a really good locker room type of guy who was a leader on his team willing to bend over backwards for his teammates. Throw that in with his good production, I would say that this is the sort of thing that factored into McD's/Bean's decision.

The only thing I remember is a poster here a month or so ago saying he talked to a player or heard from a player (can't remember) that they felt the offense ran better without Sammy because the QB didn't always feel pressured to target him. Don't shoot the messenger btw - it is just a random post that I remember and it kind of stuck in my head. I guess, if true, it would be kind of like when Megatron left Detroit and - though I don't watch a lot of Lions football - I understand from casually paying attention that some Lions fans felt the offense actually improved because Stafford was just spreading the ball around. Again, I know people are very sensitive about this topic and I'm not saying this to be true, it is just stuff I read and thought it was relevant to the discussion.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The only thing I remember is a poster here a month or so ago saying he talked to a player or heard from a player (can't remember) that they felt the offense ran better without Sammy because the QB didn't always feel pressured to target him. Don't shoot the messenger btw - it is just a random post that I remember and it kind of stuck in my head. I guess, if true, it would be kind of like when Megatron left Detroit and - though I don't watch a lot of Lions football - I understand from casually paying attention that some Lions fans felt the offense actually improved because Stafford was just spreading the ball around. Again, I know people are very sensitive about this topic and I'm not saying this to be true, it is just stuff I read and thought it was relevant to the discussion.

I'd say I get it if only he was actually getting forced looks. In the context of what we have seen -- it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Amazing how many fans twist and turn in attempt to convince themselves that the latest WTF moment is actually a good thing for the team. I'm as critical of Watkins as anyone else had ever been but only a fool believes this was OBD being held hostage by a player with low "signability". This is the NFL the owners and GMs have all the leverage, throw around a few extra guaranteed dollars and players start singing tunes of praise.

It's a slap in the face to fans. "Run deep" "All in"... the next slogan should be a little more direct..."you're drunk and stupid just get in here and buy some hot dogs"

Do you still want to make the Mike Glennon bet? I'm in. Edited by HappyDays

Hey Nucci ..check out this link to 2016 NFL Franchise Value from Forbes ... take a look at who is #32 ... surprise .. Buffalo ... not complaining .. just stating reality ... so sorry Forbes appears to be full of crap too in your logic.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

Less than half the revenue of the #1 Cowboys and less than 10% of Net Income ... so there's your revenue sharing

I didn't say all revenue was shared but the Bills get plenty from TV and have an owner worth over $4B.....and there is a salary cap....The Bills have enough money to compete with the big market teams...that was my point regarding market size

Good point. Hotties of all types.

It's likely my age showing, but few places compete with LA to prove the point that no matter how beautiful a woman is, someone, somewhere is sick of her schitt.

If you like looking at women who need to be looked at, and who will go out of their way to ensure as many people pay attention to them as possible, then LA is your place.

But fair warning, once they open their mouths and try to use words...

Incidentally, I watched Sammy interviewed in the booth during the game, and he sounded like he was still trying to figure out what the hell happened. It'll be interesting to see how he performs here. Otherwise, he's gone and all the whining in the world isn't going to change that.

It's a tough one. I like what they did with the draft picks, and hopefully that will translate into a top QB next year. But I think Sammy is a supreme talent and really liked watching him play when healthy. He made this offense better. But I also get why they did it. Overall I prefer having Sammy vs. no Sammy plus draft picks, but I can see their logic at least.

Edited by Rubes

I don't like it anymore than I did 48 hours ago (or whatever it was).

I liked the trade, and I will stand by that belief. It doesn't mean I don't have reservations now that I've had time to think. I'm extremely confident that we aren't losing that much in W column. My biggest concern is the fact that we may have created another hole in the roster. I have criticized this franchise for years about letting players go only to fill that hole in the next draft. It would be hypocritical for me not to remember that.

Boldin is not going to be here for the long haul. Jones is a rookie, we have no clue what type of player Jones will become. Zay could become a star or the next Josh Reed. I would have felt even more confident in this trade if Jones had played a year to show he can produce at the NFL level. A great deal of pressure is on Zay Jones this season. If he doesn't produce we will have another position to retool in the offseason. I still like the trade, but that doesn't mean I don't have slight reservations. Everything comes with pros and cons.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I was wondering the same this this morning and had a look. Stafford had a slightly lower QBR in '16 vs '15, but more yards and much better than '12-'14.

the team improved to 9-7 and a playoff berth over 7-9 while losing arguably the most physically gifted WR in history.

I wonder if Detroit fans felt that was remotely possible when CJ first dropped the bombshell he was hanging 'em up

Shady has said something to Sammy. Haven't seen anyone else but I'm not really looking.

....no need to shoot....not sure if it ran better without him or just removed the SW option from TT's choices....he does have a tendency to lock on to a handful of guys.......it's incumbent upon Dennison to develop a diversified passing game utilizing RB's, TE's & WR's.......the shorter stuff should cut down on TT's "process the entire field" time, with consistent completions helping his confidence and rhythm......and the long ball WILL be there....Stafford is a good example.......

But what everyone is forgetting is that the cost of picking that option was quite high...about $13M....Now the management team has to decide if that was worth the ROI. It wasn't!

That's not a big number at all. Totally manageable for a team without a star QB. It's not exactly like the Bills are coming off a SB win and need to make tough decisions about who to pay. That number is reasonable for a #1 WR and 2017 is still underSWs rookie deal. The potential payoff if Sammy is healthy and can produce is much greater than what the Bills stood to lose if he did not ( nothing). Using $ to excuse missteps by the FO is accepting the spin from OBD. This was an awful move as no big investment would have been due on Sammy until after the 2018 season. Plenty of time to evaluate him. The McBeane tandem look like chumps right now.

Lol ... yes the Bills will be better off without their most dynamic WR because now theirQB won't have to throw the ball to him! So glad the Bills QBs can breathe a sigh of relief now.

Posted this in the other trade thread, but, in a vacuum, $10 million per year for a guy who will usually be in the line-up and give you about 900 yards and 5-6 TDs is good value.

Edit: Also, unsure how Matthews/Jones/Boldin seems like anything worse than an above average top 3 WRs.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks