Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Ok. Then get rid of Tyrod, Shady and Kyle.

Don't half ass the tank.

And Sammys 24 YO potential superstar if giving the balls. He's not 35.

There is NO reason to trade him.

Three very legit reasons to trade him.

1) He has been hurt far too often.

2) Last year of his contract.

3) If by some miracle he stays healthy and has a great season, god only knows how much he is going to cost. Is there ANY indication he would give the Bills any hometown discount? None that I can tell.

So what is the difference with Sammy on the Bills or not this year, MAYBE with him we can eek out a 7-9 season, so what does that accomplish, nada. Anyone that really thought having a POETNAIL superstar (if healthy) like Sammy would make a difference beyond some season tickets sales and a game or two is kidding themselves.

Sunk costs. Watkins for a second is not awful value-wise. It just hurts.

I'm not bemoaning the sunk cost as much as I am bemoaning the ridiculous stupidity that incurred the costs in the first place. It's a long, grotesque history of player mismanagement.

There's really only one explanation for the trade...they don't trust Sammy's ability to stay on the field, so they acquired something before his value drops to nothing (after the presumed next physical setback). The acquisition of Matthews means they put a competent and reliable player on the field while also gaining draft assets.

It's a slippery slope, trying to win now while planning for the future. Beane and McD will be judged forever on what Sammy's career looks like in 10 years.

If you're convinced Sammy is healthy and out of the woods, I don't understand trading away a player of his caliber.

What i like most about these trades tho is they help us both now and in the future. We added high draft picks for the future. But we also get more productive players for the current team. As Gaines and Matthews have been more productive than Watkins and Darby.

Shhhh, truth and logic will not serve you well.

Sky is falling, brace for impact.

Ok. Then get rid of Tyrod, Shady and Kyle.

Don't half ass the tank.

And Sammys 24 YO potential superstar if giving the balls. He's not 35.

There is NO reason to trade him.

TT is simply a bridge qb. He has little trade value so he is being used properly with his talent level i.e. as a short term bridge qb. This is probably Kyle's last year with us. If he can be dealt to a contending team I would advocate it for his sake. He deserves to be on a playoff team. Will Shady be traded? If he wants out I'm sure a deal can be worked out.

The reality is that although these recent deals came as a surprise the talent tabulation with the replacements is negligible for the team. As I have stated on my prior posts the Bills pre-trade as this team was constituted was not a playoff team. So going at a faster pace this season toward an authentic rebuild makes a lot of sense to me.

Three very legit reasons to trade him.

1) He has been hurt far too often.

2) Last year of his contract.

3) If by some miracle he stays healthy and has a great season, god only knows how much he is going to cost. Is there ANY indication he would give the Bills any hometown discount? None that I can tell.

So what is the difference with Sammy on the Bills or not this year, MAYBE with him we can eek out a 7-9 season, so what does that accomplish, nada. Anyone that really thought having a POETNAIL superstar (if healthy) like Sammy would make a difference beyond some season tickets sales and a game or two is kidding themselves.

So you're saying the Bills shouldn't pay superstar players what they are worth? That's a good strategy for winning.

Well now that J. Peterman is our starting quarterback he wouldn't be able to get the ball downfield to take advantage of Sammy so Matthews might be almost as good.

So I agree but here is the thing? Why stop there? Why not Dumb Tyrod for a 4th? Why not dump Shady for a 3rd? Why not "Clean up on isle one" get all the draft picks for next year and move on to a "new era"

There's really only one explanation for the trade...they don't trust Sammy's ability to stay on the field, so they acquired something before his value drops to nothing (after the presumed next physical setback). The acquisition of Matthews means they put a competent and reliable player on the field while also gaining draft assets.

It's a slippery slope, trying to win now while planning for the future. Beane and McD will be judged forever on what Sammy's career looks like in 10 years.

If you're convinced Sammy is healthy and out of the woods, I don't understand trading away a player of his caliber.

Sammy is healthier than Matthews is right now.

So you're saying the Bills shouldn't pay superstar players what they are worth? That's a good strategy for winning.

What is Sammy worth after he gets injured again?

Not much. Odds are he will get hurt, sucks. Atleast we will be sitting with a 2nd round pick instead of a crappy decision to franchise tag an oft-injured WR.

s I posted earlier, Pegula(s) will not fire anyone for the next two years unless they are an utter embarrassment to the franchise as was Rex. They have most likely already "signed off" on a rebuild. This is a brave and imo, the RIGHT move by the Pegula's. They took their time, weren't swayed by smooth talking promoter (Rex). They are giving this new regime alL the tools they want AND A REASONABLE AMUNT OF TIME to prove themselves.

Because it worked so well with the Sabres with Murray and Bylsma

I still think if that was the case, then you pick up the option or trade him before the option is due.

The Bills could have got a lot more for Sammy if he had 2 years on a contract instead of one. Just look at the Cooks trade, traded before the deadline and the Pats picked up the option.

i am pissed we traded Sammy. But after cooling down and thinking about it, we did alright.

We now have 2 #1s, 2#2s, 3#3s- and possibly 4#3s if we make the cuts

Sammy-Jordan- Sammy all world when/if healthy. Mathews is 6'3 and has been very productive in college and the nfl. And he is an excellent blocker. He will save millions on the cap. And even if he bolts after this season, chances are we receive a 3rd round compensatory pick. New trend? Boldin, Zay, and Mathews are all big target, move the chains players.

Gaines had an excellent rookie season. He is has great instincts, and will do well in our zone. I will take a 3rd and Gaines for Darby all day. Plus if he bolts, yet another compensatory pick

In summary- we are stockpiling picks. The next draft might yield 6 key contributers. We freed up cap space. We got bigger and tougher at WR. And we are shaping up our 4-3 zone and smashmouth, 10 yard posts style. I like where we are headed.

PS my guess Ragland is traded for whatever we could get. That pretty much concludes all Whaleys moves

only 3-4 years to a winning season..McCoy, Dareus, Hughes and K.Williams will all be gone next few years

What is Sammy worth after he gets injured again?

Not much. Odds are he will get hurt, sucks. Atleast we will be sitting with a 2nd round pick instead of a crappy decision to franchise tag an oft-injured WR.

Odds are not that he will get hurt. I bet his surgeon thinks odds are unless something freaky happens unrelated, that he will play at 100%.