Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

Good post and I agree wholeheartedly.

And while I'm not a TT guy...I think they are putting him and the offense as a whole in a tough spot. This team has no outside threat, and team's will load up on the run and short pass game.

Watkins was an elite talent, and you don't jettison him unless you get a great return.

The Bills got worse today, and now need to draft a playmaking WR again.

Along with DL, Kyle is definitley retiring next year, another CB.

And again I ask: how so?

A stronger top 3 at CB - yes I'm viewing Gaines as an upgrade over Darby, who was consistently a liability

A WR who will consistently be on the field and will likely give us stats similar to what Sammy gave us in 2014 (This is pretty much a guarantee as opposed to the IF Sammy stays healthy he's gonna go for 1700 yards and 12 TDs)

Most importantly, we now have the picks needed to start legitimately building through the draft. This is how all good teams do it in this league, and 2018 will be the start of that for us.

So Sammy is unprofessional because his bones can break? That's a joke.

You said that, not me.

I do think that Matthews strikes me as more of a professional than Watkins.

I do know that Matthews is more often available, that he puts up similar stats, and that he is just as good if not better of a fit for our offense.

I'm stunned this trade came out of nowhere. Not even a leak. Was this because Beane really didn't shop Sammy around? Could he have gotten more?

They got a corner.....the most important position. This offseason was dedicated to the cornerback position. How are you liking this Promo?

A stronger top 3 at CB - yes I'm viewing Gaines as an upgrade over Darby, who was consistently a liability

A WR who will consistently be on the field and will likely give us stats similar to what Sammy gave us in 2014 (This is pretty much a guarantee as opposed to the IF Sammy stays healthy he's gonna go for 1700 yards and 12 TDs)

Most importantly, we now have the picks needed to start legitimately building through the draft. This is how all good teams do it in this league, and 2018 will be the start of that for us.

Gaines was one of the worst CBs in the league last year.

So the plan is to tank, according to some, and draft a QB with the picks?

Who the hell is said QB going to throw the ball to? Matthews has a year left on his deal and Boldin is a one year deal.

So bring in a young QB and set him up to fail. Brilliant.

Sammy had 1 year left on his deal too and has said he is looking to change the pay structure of the NFL with his next deal (aka break the bank). Matthews is making like what $1.5M this year?

Seems like a much better chance at re-signing Matthews than Sammy, unless you want to give Sammy $15- $17M or whatever the franchise tag is, for potentially 1 good healthy year out of 4 years in the league...

If they are in "tank" mode I am done with them. I have been a Bills fan for a lonnnnnggggg time but if they tank it that is it! I hope they have more integrity than that. I really don't think they would do that but you never know. Sammy was a great receiver but was injury prone. Darby, well I don't know about why they traded him.

You said that, not me.

I do think that Matthews strikes me as more of a professional than Watkins.

I do know that Matthews is more often available, that he puts up similar stats, and that he is just as good if not better of a fit for our offense.

Joke

Sammy had 1 year left on his deal too and has said he is looking to change the pay structure of the NFL with his next deal (aka break the bank). Matthews is making like what $1.5M this year?

Seems like a much better chance at re-signing Matthews than Sammy, unless you want to give Sammy $15- $17M or whatever the franchise tag is, for potentially 1 good healthy year out of 4 years in the league...

And?

What is the problem with paying good/great players? There is no reason they can't pay Sammy, especially if the plan is to draft a QB. That's 5 years of not paying the top position in the league.

I'm sorry I just don't follow.