Most Underrated Bill of the Draught

Due to the lack of winning teams, a lot of the best players on the Bills don't get a lot of attention. Who do you think is the most underrated Bill of the last 17 years? I would say Terrance McGee. He was never an amazing player, and despite being injured a lot later in his career, McGee was always a very solid corner, and one of, if not the most feared kick returner in the league in the mid 2000's. He also spent his whole 10 year career with the Bills. Who are some other players from this era who you guys feel are underrated, and were better than people give them credit for now?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought McGee was overrated. Especially towards the end. Kept relying on him to be healty and cover number 1s and he kept seeming to fall short.

I'mma go Poz on this one. Never really put together an exciting highlight package was was a solid contributor who didn't let up a whole lot of big plays. Class act. He is with the jags and has been one of only a few players to stick through turnover and continue to start in what appears to be a solid defense going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Kyle Williams to the fan base over there.

Aaron Schobel

He may be most-underrated Bill of all time

I thought he was overrated. He made a couple of Pro Bowls but I seem to recall that he'd get a bunch of sacks in 2 or 3 games against weak teams and then not do much in the rest of the games. He also was usually shut down by better than average OTs.

Aaron Schobel

He may be most-underrated Bill of all time

This. He was great. And he never got the apreciation he deserves. I feel like Cordy Glenn is getting up there though.... do people seriously not remember what this team looked like with the scrubs that can between Peters and Glenn? A top 10 left tackle is something people only notice once it has gone.

Maybe not underrated but probably under appreciated would be London Fletcher who went on to play many years after leaving the Bills.

Antoine Winfield comes to mind in the same category. When I'd see him I couldn't believe he was still playing so many years after his time in Buffalo.

Without hesitation I say that the answer is Jabari Greer

The man was an undrafted FA that worked his way up to full time starter and was a bona fide #1 corner.

This team made a critical error when they let him walk for $5.5M per year so that they could keep McGee at $7M per.

The man was an undrafted FA that worked his way up to full time starter and was a bona fide #1 corner.

This team made a critical error when they let him walk for $5.5M per year so that they could keep McGee at $7M per.

Greer was a really good player. I remember when we were playing the Jets and Greer ran the WR's route better than he did while in coverage then made a play.

Aaron Schobel made a lot of big plays, but the team was not good enough to close those games with a W.

I remember that season opener where Schobel intercepted a screen pass from Brady for a score to put the Bills ahead. Most teams would have won with that defensive play, but not us. Had we won that game we would all list that play as a top ten defensive play.

The drought does feel like a draught. Time to warm it up. At any rate, I like your choice of Greer.

I also like Jason Peters as a UDFA who became an All Pro LT.

Shady McCoy. In this drought we have had 1 legit, blue chip, all world superstar skill position player on offense. A guy that has an actual claim to being a top 3 player at his position. Outside of Jason peters, the one offensive player we have that nationally would get recognized as great. Still, when it comes to our own fans, you never see the credit given. Nobody ever stops to appreciate what we have in Shady. Bills fans would soon rather talk about the back up QB, or a WR that will barely make the team. Everybody on here (or the Bbmb) wants to talk about potential. What a guy might do if the stars align. Once a guy is paid, or is a name people outside the fanbase know, it's somehow not cool to support them.

The guy is one of the most incredible players this team has ever had. Watching McCoy run is by far the most exciting thing about this team. There is no player on the Bills, current or past drought..that has been less appreciated by the fans.

Honorable mention ;

Travis Henry. We have had a lot of really good RBs in the drought and as little as that has actually helped, Henry is the one nobody ever talks about . The guy had back to back 1350+ yard seasons. The guy ran incredibly hard and no one person was bringing him down. He was a more physical Fred Jackson without the personality and likable back story.

The drought does feel like a draught. Time to warm it up. At any rate, I like your choice of Greer.

I also like Jason Peters as a UDFA who became an All Pro LT.

I can't pick peters because he's probably going to be a first-ballot HOFer, so that takes him out of the "underrated" conversation for me

Shady McCoy. In this drought we have had 1 legit, blue chip, all world superstar skill position player on offense. A guy that has an actual claim to being a top 3 player at his position. Outside of Jason peters, the one offensive player we have that nationally would get recognized as great. Still, when it comes to our own fans, you never see the credit given. Nobody ever stops to appreciate what we have in Shady. Bills fans would soon rather talk about the back up QB, or a WR that will barely make the team. Everybody on here (or the Bbmb) wants to talk about potential. What a guy might do if the stars align. Once a guy is paid, or is a name people outside the fanbase know, it's somehow not cool to support them.

The guy is one of the most incredible players this team has ever had. Watching McCoy run is by far the most exciting thing about this team. There is no player on the Bills, current or past drought..that has been less appreciated by the fans.

Honorable mention ;

Travis Henry. We have had a lot of really good RBs in the drought and as little as that has actually helped, Henry is the one nobody ever talks about . The guy had back to back 1350+ yard seasons. The guy ran incredibly hard and no one person was bringing him down. He was a more physical Fred Jackson without the personality and likable back story.

Nice one. T Henry ran like Emmitt Smith...

I can't pick peters because he's probably going to be a first-ballot HOFer, so that takes him out of the "underrated" conversation for me

I think he was "underrated" for his Bills' career by both management and fans. Not the kind of player a team should let leave.

I thought he was overrated. He made a couple of Pro Bowls but I seem to recall that he'd get a bunch of sacks in 2 or 3 games against weak teams and then not do much in the rest of the games. He also was usually shut down by better than average OTs.

I respectfully disagree. Not only was he underrated he was also under appreciated. Also you have to remember the D line he had. He was the only one with double digit sacks. When he would put up those numbers the next person under him in sacks would have like 3 to 4 sacks.

You also have to remember the offense didn't make it better. He rarely played having a lead which make other teams one dimensional. There was a lot going against him and he still put up decent numbers.

Was that the Favre game in Buffalo?

Can't remember if the QB was Favre or Sanchez, but I remember Greer being on the guy like he was the number on his jersey. It was insane.

It was from the Bills vs Jets game in 2007. Clemens was their QB at the time. I found it in some highlights, but it doesn't show how Greer blanketed the WR the whole way like it did on the replay.

Edited by H2o

He belongs on the wall, IMO. Excellent choice.

You are serious overestimating how good he was. Butch Byrd, Cookie Gilchrist and Eric Moulds aren't on the wall, and you're going to put Schobel on there? He was a good DE but not elite. And the fact that he shows up in all these "underrated" lists shows that he was not underrated at all.

12th man, we have been here longer then any player on the team. We witnessed the music city miracle and still have shown up every Sunday since!

Good choice! May very well be the most loyal fan base out there.

I'd go Kyle Williams though. As before mentioned Bills fans know what he is but not so much other people

I honestly thought McGee was overrated. Especially towards the end. Kept relying on him to be healty and cover number 1s and he kept seeming to fall short.

I'mma go Poz on this one. Never really put together an exciting highlight package was was a solid contributor who didn't let up a whole lot of big plays. Class act. He is with the jags and has been one of only a few players to stick through turnover and continue to start in what appears to be a solid defense going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a Kyle Williams to the fan base over there.

Agree on all of this. Love Poz and bought his jersey.(Dicks sporting goods mistakenly put it on discount rack his rookie year. Got it for 5.99)

You are serious overestimating how good he was. Butch Byrd, Cookie Gilchrist and Eric Moulds aren't on the wall, and you're going to put Schobel on there? He was a good DE but not elite. And the fact that he shows up in all these "underrated" lists shows that he was not underrated at all.

Underrated. ...same as best on a bad team perhapse?

He played 9 seasons and played in 16 games for 8 of those seasons. He averaged 9 sacks/season and had 21 forced fumbles in his career.

Cookie played here for 3 seasons - great seasons - but as for the wall, I'll put a guy up there who played 9/9 years in Buffalo and showed up just about every Sunday.

I respect your opinion, but I do not think I'm overestimating anything with regard to Schobel.