Most Underrated Bill of the Draught

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are serious overestimating how good he was. Butch Byrd, Cookie Gilchrist and Eric Moulds aren't on the wall, and you're going to put Schobel on there? He was a good DE but not elite. And the fact that he shows up in all these "underrated" lists shows that he was not underrated at all.

Byrd and Gilchrist belong on the wall. However they belonged on the wall long before Tasker, Talley, and Hansen. Schobel was a better player than Talley and Hansen. He has 16.5 more sacks than Hansen in two less seasons. Hansen played with Bruce Smith for 8 of his seasons. I believe you are seriously underestimating how good he was.

I honestly think that many guys who will be mentioned on this post as being underrated are probably overrated in reality. Most people think that the same few guys were the underrated ones. Guys like Schobel,Moulds,Jackson,Fletcher etc. I believe that most of these guys are properly rated already. They are neither overrated nor underrated.

During the drought we had many very good players, but I'm not sure if we had any true greats. In some cases I think that playing for this crap franchise actually inflated the value of some guys.

Schobel and Kyle have never gotten the respect they deserve IMO

I'm not sure that I agree. They both get a ton of respect on this forum for what it's worth. Both of these guys are very well liked by fans. You can't expect a defensive player on losing teams to get national media attention although both guys are/were perennial pro bowl players.

He was underrated when he was drafted? Getting him that late MAKES him underrated.

Schrobel was a 2nd round pick....Moulds a first.....etc etc

...from that perspective, I certainly agree...the 5th rounder has been a force IMO.............

Lynch and Peters. Any HOFer you let walk has to be underrated.

Yeah I agree with Lynch. We had a pretty bad Oline and coaching (& management) most of that time. Fantastic athlete.

I also think Schobel and Greer are good picks.

Also, maybe Larry Centers or Sam Gash.

I honestly think that many guys who will be mentioned on this post as being underrated are probably overrated in reality. Most people think that the same few guys were the underrated ones. Guys like Schobel,Moulds,Jackson,Fletcher etc. I believe that most of these guys are properly rated already. They are neither overrated nor underrated.

During the drought we had many very good players, but I'm not sure if we had any true greats. In some cases I think that playing for this crap franchise actually inflated the value of some guys.

Schobel is second all-time in sacks for the Bills. He is 68th all-time in NFL. That is 14 spots ahead of Biscuit and 38 ahead of Hansen. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/sacks_career.htmHe is in very good company on that list.

Agree - he is not close to a HOF guy. He is a solid Hall of the Very Very Good in NFL, and certainly a great in Bills history - second best DE after Bruce though Mario Williams had more raw talent than Schobel.

As for Moulds, Fletcher, and Jackson I agree with you. They are good players knocking on the great category but not quite. Jackson is a great story but he is 10th in yards/game in Bills history. He is not in my top 5 (Thurman, OJ, Shady, Cookie, Cribbs) at his position.

Yeah I agree with Lynch. We had a pretty bad Oline and coaching (& management) most of that time. Fantastic athlete.

Larry Centers is an interesting choice. For a short window of time, he was the best in the NFL at his position. Bledsoe still talks about him on the radio.

Centers and Gash. Nice ones.

Greer was a really good player. I remember when we were playing the Jets and Greer ran the WR's route better than he did while in coverage then made a play.

Greer seemed to always be in the hip pocket watching him was like watching reggie miller come off a screen.

Lots of good answers in this thread - I just also wanted to give a shout out to one of my favorite Bills when I started religiously following the team: Lee Evans.

Like Moulds, I can't help but imagine what-could-have-been should he have had a more talented QB. If he ended up teaming up with Flacco years ago as opposed to during the downslide of his career, he would easily put up double digit TDs on several deep balls. Signing an extension with us when Trent Checkwards was our QB simply did not pay off for him. Since so many WRs are divas that get frustrated over a lack of targets/stats (or being wide open and missed by crummy QBs), his team-player mentality throughout our ****ty years made him that much more likable.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

Aaron Schobel was extremely high-motor. I remember getting tired just watching him run 30+ yards trying to turn the corner on the LT all game. Yeah, he made it to the QB some times, but I prefer more of a North-South pass rusher myself. I think he's rated accordingly, and by all means, keep him off the Wall.

Seeing a few guys saying Moulds, he wasn't part of our playoff drought. Remember he was part of the Flutie led squad that lost to Miami in the wildcard game. I think he still has the NFL playoff record for receiving yards in a game with 240. I'd probably go with Travis Henry, Kyle Williams is a popular pick but I feel like he's not quite that underrated. Most real football folks know how great of a player he's been. So i'll stick with Henry, a guy whose off-field issues made people forget how good of a player he really was, especially in BUF.

Shady McCoy. In this drought we have had 1 legit, blue chip, all world superstar skill position player on offense. A guy that has an actual claim to being a top 3 player at his position. Outside of Jason peters, the one offensive player we have that nationally would get recognized as great. Still, when it comes to our own fans, you never see the credit given. Nobody ever stops to appreciate what we have in Shady. Bills fans would soon rather talk about the back up QB, or a WR that will barely make the team. Everybody on here (or the Bbmb) wants to talk about potential. What a guy might do if the stars align. Once a guy is paid, or is a name people outside the fanbase know, it's somehow not cool to support them.

The guy is one of the most incredible players this team has ever had. Watching McCoy run is by far the most exciting thing about this team. There is no player on the Bills, current or past drought..that has been less appreciated by the fans.

Honorable mention ;

Travis Henry. We have had a lot of really good RBs in the drought and as little as that has actually helped, Henry is the one nobody ever talks about . The guy had back to back 1350+ yard seasons. The guy ran incredibly hard and no one person was bringing him down. He was a more physical Fred Jackson without the personality and likable back story.

excellent write up. i think mccoy isnt mentioned because it is blatantly obvious that he is whats for dinner. People say that we win because of Tyrod... he helps but McCoy us half man half amazing. the holes he hits the way he seemingly never takes a big hit. he is the reason... to me we win. travis henry is a forgotten name. that whole era derrick holmes antoine smith. its like thurman then who? fred Jackson and marshawn lynch. we had players man.