How clueless is Gil Brant?

I understand that this is just one persons opinion but you would think that someone who is compensated for his sports acumen have a little something called "knowledge". Here's his list of the 45 greatest LB's.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000816217/gil-brandts-greatest-nfl-linebackers-of-alltime

Scroll down to #23 where you will find our beloved Biscuit. I have no problem with the ranking as it seems about right but see if you notice the discrepancy listed.

Also in his list of 45 greatest WR's of all time he omits HOF'er Andre Reed. I realize that I'm a Bills homer but I honestly can't think of 15-20 WR's before I get to Reed.

Thoughts? Discuss.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't disagree with that list as much as I disagreed with his list of top DE's of all time. Especially this:

He has Michael Bennett ranked at 27th, ahead of Jared Allen (30), Dwight Freeney (29) and LC Greenwood (28).

Allen had five Pro Bowls, four first-team All Pros, 2011 Defensive Player of the Year, Two-time NFL Sack Leader, 136 career sacks which is good for 11th on the all-time list. Also holds an NFL record for recording safeties with four.

Freeney had seven Pro Bowls, three first team All Pros, 2005 AFC Defensive Player of the Year, Sack Leader for 2005, NFL 2000s All-Decade team, 122.5 career sacks.

Greenwood had six Pro Bowls, two first team All Pros, four Super Bowl rings, voted to 1970s NFL All Decade team, 73.5 sacks in his career, led the Steelers in sacks for 6 straight seasons.

And then there's Michael freaking Bennett: Two Pro Bowls (one Pro Bowl Defensive MVP, big whoop), one Super Bowl ring, 45.5 sacks over 8 seasons. That's an average of 6 sacks a season.

I know Brandt has decades of experience but I don't think Bennett even belongs on this list.

I would think a noob with 35 posts shouldn't start threads, but that's jmo. There isn't a human alive with more knowledge of the NFL, past or present, than Gil Brandt. His memory is amazing.

Noob? LOL, just cause I'm new HERE doesn't necessarily make me a noob. Can't tell if your praise for Brant was sarcasm or not. But, anyone who doesn't know Bennett is not in the Hall or thinks Reed doesn't belong in the Top 45 WRs can't be too credible a source. JMO

Noob? LOL, just cause I'm new HERE doesn't necessarily make me a noob. Can't tell if your praise for Brant was sarcasm or not. But, anyone who doesn't know Bennett is not in the Hall or thinks Reed doesn't belong in the Top 45 WRs can't be too credible a source. JMO

Posted Today, 03:43 PM

Chandler#81, on 02 Jul 2017 - 2:32 PM, said:

I would think a noob with 35 posts shouldn't start threads, but that's jmo. There isn't a human alive with more knowledge of the NFL, past or present, than Gil Brandt. His memory is amazing.

Well, some of this guys with high post counts think they run the board. It gets old after a while. I don't have a high post count as I lost my original screen name way back when the server was done over. I was going to Bills games at the old Rockpile when some of these people were in diapers & shook hands with many of the greats. Yet, I notice that many of these thread Nazis cope an attitude with other posters. Whether your new to the board or been a round a while, post away & have a fun time; that's what the board is for.

Posted Today, 03:43 PM

Chandler#81, on 02 Jul 2017 - 2:32 PM, said:

Well, some of this guys with high post counts think they run the board. It gets old after a while. I don't have a high post count as I lost my original screen name way back when the server was done over. I was going to Bills games at the old Rockpile when some of these people were in diapers & shook hands with many of the greats. Yet, I notice that many of these thread Nazis cope an attitude with other posters. Whether your new to the board or been a round a while, post away & have a fun time; that's what the board is for.

You may not be a noob, but why would you call a modertor a nazi? That's a real noob move IMO.

I see ranked #43 is Chris Spielman, unless my eyes are getting real bad, doesn't that look like a picture of some black guy. Spielman looked pretty white to me the last time I saw him

Are you looking at the right picture? They put the pictures above the names, which wasn't smart. Speilman is #54 in the Lions jersey.

Ray Lewis not in the top 5 isn't good. Derrick Thomas was good, but he didn't help his team win a SB. What Lewis did in Baltimore with Ed Reed in 2000 was amazing.

Nothing against Gil. The man knows his stuff and those lists have got to be hard to make. Ray Lewis is the best MLB to play in the last 25 years.

Ray Lewis not in the top 5 isn't good. Derrick Thomas was good, but he didn't help his team win a SB. What Lewis did in Baltimore with Ed Reed in 2000 was amazing.

Nothing against Gil. The man knows his stuff and those lists have got to be hard to make. Ray Lewis is the best MLB to play in the last 25 years.

Ed Reed wasn't in the league in 2000

Agree that DThomas is way too high and RayRay is too low. Overall list isn't too bad but there are a couple names that I wouldn't put there like Hugh Green and Zach Thomas.

Oh yeah, !@#$ Buoniconti.

Gil Brandt has had an excellent career as a personnel guy. I feel comfortable guessing that he knows more about football and football players than anyone on this board.

And yet... some of his position rankings are, let's say, idiosyncratic.

Yeah, I know people like you and I never have brain farts. We're just too perfect.

Lewis was terrific. But remember the years when his DTs were injured and he looked average and everyone said he was done? Great player but he was in a sensational situation.

We can kill two birds with one stone here.

On the one hand, the moderator has a point. There have been more dumb threads started here in the last six months than at any time I can remember (not necessarily saying this thread is one of them). Not sure why that is, but it definately makes me look far less and probably frustrates moderators far more.

Second, Gil Brandt has been doing football evaluations since I can remember trying to read them- pretty sure he has more knowledge than any homer fans might.

This ridiculous attitude is what keeps many "noob's" from posting on forum boards. Many think that because they have "xxxx" # of posts that they are more worthy than a new poster. There are some with huge posting #'s that just spew BS constantly and dont know their head from their arse. Others are great posters with a long history of thoughful and provacative posts and replies. What is it that makes you superior to those of us who like to read the content at this site and selectively reply ?

I could argue that my families history of having season tix on the 47 yard line since 1960 (Yes, original season tix holder, less than 100 of us left) makes me an expert on all things Buffalo Bills but that's just silly. I think new blood is what keeps a forum healthy even if it upsets the grumpy old "Get offa my lawn" oldtimers

Signed,

1960 "Noob"

This ridiculous attitude is what keeps many "noob's" from posting on forum boards. Many think that because they have "xxxx" # of posts that they are more worthy than a new poster. There are some with huge posting #'s that just spew BS constantly and dont know their head from their arse. Others are great posters with a long history of thoughful and provacative posts and replies. What is it that makes you superior to those of us who like to read the content at this site and selectively reply ?

I could argue that my families history of having season tix on the 47 yard line since 1960 (Yes, original season tix holder, less than 100 of us left) makes me an expert on all things Buffalo Bills but that's just silly. I think new blood is what keeps a forum healthy even if it upsets the grumpy old "Get offa my lawn" oldtimers

Signed,

1960 "Noob"

Maybe an exception could be made for "get offa my lawn noob oldtimers" like you?

Ray Lewis was a dominant force and while Derrick Thomas was a beast at home when the o-line couldn't hear the snap count, he disappeared on the road. To be great you need consistency.

Signed,

1960 "Noob"

Settle down, noob.

If I had it my way, you newbs wouldn't be allowed to post until you reached triple digit post count. You noobs are everything that's wrong with America!

Ray Lewis was a dominant force and while Derrick Thomas was a beast at home when the o-line couldn't hear the snap count, he disappeared on the road. To be great you need consistency.

Thomas was the big head scratchier for me.

Lewis to me was such a force on the field. I feel like how good of a player Lewis was will always be diminished to some degree because of that night in Atl.

Settle down, noob.

If I had it my way, you newbs wouldn't be allowed to post until you reached triple digit post count. You noobs are everything that's wrong with America!

Just guessing, but at some point you were probably an upstart noob who thought your posts (pre-100) were earth shattering.

It seems like snobbery prevails here based on number of posts, not content. Have at it get off my lawn guys.

Settle down, noob.

So how should a noob reach a triple digit post count if they are not allowed to post prior to reaching said post count?

Settle down, noob.

I'd like to know how they're supposed to get to the triple digit post mark if you had it your way? We all have to start somewhere.

So how should a noob reach a triple digit post count if they are not allowed to post prior to reaching said post count?

First off I think he was being sarcastic. But to answer your question, you can reach 100 pretty quickly by quoting other posts with well thought out responses like "this," "agreed," and "+1"

Check out his list of greatest corners of all time:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815951/gil-brandts-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time

What's Malcolm Butler doing on that list ahead of some hall of famers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me get this straight. Brant's 20th CB of all time is ranked ahead of HOF'ers though he's trade bait, fighting for a contract and playing second fiddle to Stephon Gilmore. ......GILMORE! Really!

SMH.... It's official, he's clueless.

Check out his list of greatest corners of all time:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815951/gil-brandts-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time

What's Malcolm Butler doing on that list ahead of some hall of famers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me get this straight. Brant's 20th CB of all time is ranked ahead of HOF'ers though he's trade bait, fighting for a contract and playing second fiddle to Stephon Gilmore. ......GILMORE! Really!

SMH.... It's official, he's clueless.

I have to agree with you on that one. There's guys he overlooked that belong ahead of Butler

Add posts immediately, but take the time to familiarize yourself with the flow and ebb of the Board before starting threads. Just a suggestion, but it will help a lot when the Thread blasts the likely pre-eminent living authority on the NFL, calling him clueless. It makes you sound like your typing from your Mom's computer -and Clueless.

Whether you're 16 or 66, if you're a thin-skinned cry-baby who can't let things go, you probably won't like it here.