How clueless is Gil Brant?

So how should a noob reach a triple digit post count if they are not allowed to post prior to reaching said post count?

I'd like to know how they're supposed to get to the triple digit post mark if you had it your way? We all have to start somewhere.

I know you newbs are all into instant gratification but some things take some time and a little elbow grease. You can't just go on the app store and download a 100 posts. Rome, NY wasn't built in a day.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gil Brandt has had an excellent career as a personnel guy. I feel comfortable guessing that he knows more about football and football players than anyone on this board.

And yet... some of his position rankings are, let's say, idiosyncratic.

he's an amazing talent and mind for the nfl.

i'd bet if you asked him next thursday this list again there would be shakeup.

a lot of this stuff is debatable and could depend on any variable of the day.

today most would rank adrian peterson as better than oj simpson, but 20 years ago i doubt anyone would.

today half asked would rank michael strahan over reggie white

today some would rank luke keuchly over ray lewis.

today i know at least one person who'd rank rob johnson over cam newton.

its all about where you stand

today most would rank adrian peterson as better than oj simpson, but 20 years ago i doubt anyone would.

20 years ago, OJ wasn't a convicted killer and was still a beloved figure. I doubt they would have ranked AP above the Juice back then.

You may not be a noob, but why would you call a modertor a nazi? That's a real noob move IMO.

Maybe an exception could be made for "get offa my lawn noob oldtimers" like you?

This ridiculous attitude is what keeps many "noob's" from posting on forum boards. Many think that because they have "xxxx" # of posts that they are more worthy than a new poster. There are some with huge posting #'s that just spew BS constantly and dont know their head from their arse. Others are great posters with a long history of thoughful and provacative posts and replies. What is it that makes you superior to those of us who like to read the content at this site and selectively reply ?

I could argue that my families history of having season tix on the 47 yard line since 1960 (Yes, original season tix holder, less than 100 of us left) makes me an expert on all things Buffalo Bills but that's just silly. I think new blood is what keeps a forum healthy even if it upsets the grumpy old "Get offa my lawn" oldtimers

Signed,

1960 "Noob"

newb on newb crime.

Maybe an exception could be made for "get offa my lawn noob oldtimers" like you?

This ridiculous attitude is what keeps many "noob's" from posting on forum boards. Many think that because they have "xxxx" # of posts that they are more worthy than a new poster. There are some with huge posting #'s that just spew BS constantly and dont know their head from their arse. Others are great posters with a long history of thoughful and provacative posts and replies. What is it that makes you superior to those of us who like to read the content at this site and selectively reply ?

I could argue that my families history of having season tix on the 47 yard line since 1960 (Yes, original season tix holder, less than 100 of us left) makes me an expert on all things Buffalo Bills but that's just silly. I think new blood is what keeps a forum healthy even if it upsets the grumpy old "Get offa my lawn" oldtimers

Signed,

1960 "Noob"

newb on newb crime.

20 years ago, OJ wasn't a convicted killer and was still a beloved figure. I doubt they would have ranked AP above the Juice back then.

i'm talking purely football.

Prior to OJ's conviction, I had him slightly ahead of AP. AP wasn't very accomplished at that point

Prior to OJ's conviction, I had him slightly ahead of AP. AP wasn't very accomplished at that point

oj simpson was among the very best rb's to ever play in the league.

ap is not. he's a jerk. his suspension and all of the crap he pulled with his kids and babies mommas is ridiculous. not at all a role model. whilst ap is the best running back historically in the league his time is essentially done as others are ready to take over, like zeke.

I would think a noob with 35 posts shouldn't start threads, but that's jmo. There isn't a human alive with more knowledge of the NFL, past or present, than Gil Brandt. His memory is amazing.

There could be other humans alive with more knowledge than him, you never know.

I don't doubt that he knows his stuff but obviously these lists are subjective. Like I said before, his DE list, rating Michael Bennett ahead of Jared Allen and Dwight Freeney? I think just about everyone would say that's some flawed thinking right there.

Brandt also had Manziel as not only his top rated QB, but his best overall player in 2014. So, like any guy who makes evaluations, I take it with a grain of salt.

There could be other humans alive with more knowledge than him, you never know.

I don't doubt that he knows his stuff but obviously these lists are subjective. Like I said before, his DE list, rating Michael Bennett ahead of Jared Allen and Dwight Freeney? I think just about everyone would say that's some flawed thinking right there.

Brandt also had Manziel as not only his top rated QB, but his best overall player in 2014. So, like any guy who makes evaluations, I take it with a grain of salt.

bennett could outside contain and fit multiple systems.

jared allen cannot and never could. he was jerry hughes.

bennett was chris kelsey.

most teams would take kelsey

and your speculation that others alive could know more - total newb. why ya gotta be so new man?! no one should be able to post until they have 30k of useless posts.

I was going to Bills games at the old Rockpile when some of these people were in diapers & shook hands with many of the greats. Yet, I notice that many of these thread Nazis cope an attitude with other posters. Whether your new to the board or been a round a while, post away & have a fun time; that's what the board is for.

People shook hands with the greats whilst wearing diapers?

Edited by Gugny

newb on newb crime.

newb on newb crime.

i'm talking purely football.

So am I. You have to consider that the man is simply hated for his alleged crimes. HATED. While hes a great player, he will mostly be remembered for his terrible crime. He was suspended a whole season for what he did! OJ, however, is still revered for his civil rights activism, his acting, and his achievements on the field.

So am I. You have to consider that the man is simply hated for his alleged crimes. HATED. While hes a great player, he will mostly be remembered for his terrible crime. He was suspended a whole season for what he did! OJ, however, is still revered for his civil rights activism, his acting, and his achievements on the field.

this is 100% true.

First off I think he was being sarcastic. But to answer your question, you can reach 100 pretty quickly by quoting other posts with well thought out responses like "this," "agreed," and "+1"

:)

His LB list looks pretty good. I've watched all but a few of them and can't argue. Didn't see theWR list but Andre should obviously be on it.

The problem with lists like this is people criticize but have never seen some of the guys actually play.

...great to see a rekindling of the noob/BBMB'er crap resurface after MODS did a helluva job to quash it so FOOTBALL could be discussed.....hate it when a turd escapes "the Net"...........

Say what you want about the Mods, but I think they do a fine job.

...I believe that is EXACTLY what I said..............

That's exactly how I took it. I don't see it as being about anybody's number of posts. We all had post #1 at some point. It's more about when people charge in and act like jerks. It's not always what you say, but often more about how you say it. We're not all going to agree on everything (how boring would THAT be?), but how people disagree will determine how they are treated and the reaction they will get. I have had people say "hey, it's a message board! What do you expect?" Answer: civil intelligent discussion and maybe a few laughs. If you can't pull that off, maybe the problem is in the mirror.

P.S. - Yes, I agree the mods do a great job.

That's exactly how I took it. I don't see it as being about anybody's number of posts. We all had post #1 at some point. It's more about when people charge in and act like jerks. It's not always what you say, but often more about how you say it. We're not all going to agree on everything (how boring would THAT be?), but how people disagree will determine how they are treated and the reaction they will get. I have had people say "hey, it's a message board! What do you expect?" Answer: civil intelligent discussion and maybe a few laughs. If you can't pull that off, maybe the problem is in the mirror.

....good post bud...hope you enjoy the 4th with your gang............. :thumbsup:

Very well said.

...great to see a rekindling of the noob/BBMB'er crap resurface after MODS did a helluva job to quash it so FOOTBALL could be discussed.....hate it when a turd escapes "the Net"...........

griping about it like this does nothing. that's totally a newb move. why ya gotta be a newb, newb?

all ya gotta do is his the report button. that puts up a bat signal. simon comes in, slaps us vets around, we apologize and life goes on.

learn from a veteran - bitching only fans the flames.

report the posts you don't like, show us where the bad guys hurt your feelings. thats how you win.

i can't stress this enough, all of the american mods do a tremendous job here. i appreciate them all!

griping about it like this does nothing. that's totally a newb move. why ya gotta be a newb, newb?

all ya gotta do is his the report button. that puts up a bat signal. simon comes in, slaps us vets around, we apologize and life goes on.

report the posts you don't like, show us where the bad guys hurt your feelings. thats how you win.

....VERY well stated......does newb or BBMB refugee really make a rat's azz bit of difference?...could care less about your origin, race, creed, color or sexual orientation.....plenty of head banging JUST ABOUT FOOTBALL without petty distractions...CONTRIBUTIONS to discussions is all that matters to me, especially when opinions differ and a logical debate ensues.... .Jesus, let's get back on track......

....VERY well stated......does newb or BBMB refugee really make a rat's azz bit of difference?...could care less about your origin, race, creed, color or sexual orientation.....plenty of head banging JUST ABOUT FOOTBALL without petty distractions...CONTRIBUTIONS to discussions is all that matters to me, especially when opinions differ and a logical debate ensues.... .Jesus, let's get back on track......

are you coming on to me?!

i can't stress this enough, all of the american mods do a tremendous job here. i appreciate them all!

CBF is going to get you whacked!

Check out his list of greatest corners of all time:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815951/gil-brandts-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time

What's Malcolm Butler doing on that list ahead of some hall of famers?

Malcolm Butler at 20, Ty Law at 18. Good God...

I've never understood why Gil is still relevant. He's been off the mark for a decade or more now.

Malcolm Butler at 20, Ty Law at 18. Good God...

I've never understood why Gil is still relevant. He's been off the mark for a decade or more now.

Lil Antoine #25. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on the Vikings for sure. I'm not sure if I can name 25 better CBs for the Bills, but I think I could get close.

I understand that this is just one persons opinion but you would think that someone who is compensated for his sports acumen have a little something called "knowledge". Here's his list of the 45 greatest LB's.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000816217/gil-brandts-greatest-nfl-linebackers-of-alltime

Scroll down to #23 where you will find our beloved Biscuit. I have no problem with the ranking as it seems about right but see if you notice the discrepancy listed.

Also in his list of 45 greatest WR's of all time he omits HOF'er Andre Reed. I realize that I'm a Bills homer but I honestly can't think of 15-20 WR's before I get to Reed.

Thoughts? Discuss.

No issue with any of the lists.

Sorry dude i love Reed too but cant argue with the list he put up. Pretty strong 32 there.

Although he does have a strong Cowboy bias and it shows up in lists like these and him talking about them as well.

Edited by MAJBobby

I'm guessing you didn't start this thread on page 1.

Has anyone considered that these lists are something he probably slapped together off the top of his head to meet a weekly requirement and generate clicks? Lists are a sure fire way to get clicks. We the people cannot get enough of them. List-icle is a term in the common lexicon now. The best part of any all time list is the debate and controversy that follows. You don't get a 5 minute spot on ESPN for putting together a list that everyone agrees with. Maybe, just maybe the supposed snubs and controversy is by design. Or maybe its just off season filler and if you ask Brant again tomorrow, you'll get a different list.

Ha, I just mentioned this. Gil is a dinosaur that should not be taken seriously. This guy actually ranked Rod Smith over Andre Reed as an all-time WR, and don't even get me started on his constant reaching into the past for old players that have no business being compared to Andre or any premier WRs from the past three or four decades...

Ha, I just mentioned this. Gil is a dinosaur that should not be taken seriously. This guy actually ranked Rod Smith over Andre Reed as an all-time WR, and don't even get me started on his constant reaching into the past for old players that have no business being compared to Andre or any premier WRs from the past three or four decades...

That's the one that got me the most. No way Rod Smith should be on the list over Andre.

but would anybody really rank Mac Speedie over Andre Reed, other than some old analyst trying to prove his extensive historical knowledge of football? because that's what Gil Brandt did. stats, career, ability - there's no comparison

He had Malcolm Butler in his best ever Corners of all time. Dude's been playing for 3 years....

Ezekiel Elliot in his top RBs too...

top RBs of all time. Ezekiel Elliott.

but would anybody really rank Mac Speedie over Andre Reed, other than some old analyst trying to prove his extensive historical knowledge of football? because that's what Gil Brandt did. stats, career, ability - there's no comparison

Ezekiel Elliot in his top RBs too...

top RBs of all time. Ezekiel Elliott.

maybe because gil brandt can actually say that he has seen both?

maybe because gil brandt is one of few who can truly qualify the talents against another?

andre reed was very good, very very good. but is he top 20 wr's of all time? i don't konw about that. top 40, probably. top 50, definitely.