How clueless is Gil Brant?

maybe because gil brandt can actually say that he has seen both?

maybe because gil brandt is one of few who can truly qualify the talents against another?

andre reed was very good, very very good. but is he top 20 wr's of all time? i don't konw about that. top 40, probably. top 50, definitely.

There's a pretty fixed number here - top 32.

Let's disregard old players who put up 5,000 yards in 7 seasons and focus on the modern era - Torry Holt and Rod Smith were included in his top 32 WRs of all time. Are they in the Hall of Fame? Because Andre Reed is.

Do you agree that Rod Smith and Torry Holt are better than Andre Reed, despite general consensus?

Do you also think that Ezekiel Elliott is already a top RB of all time?

Edited by Hurricane Marv

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's disregard old players who put up 5,000 yards in 7 seasons and focus on the modern era - Torry Holt and Rod Smith were included in his top 32 WRs of all time. Are they in the Hall of Fame? Because Andre Reed is.

Do you agree that Rod Smith and Torry Holt are better than Andre Reed, despite general consensus?

I think Canton just got tired of listening to Reed whine about not getting in every. effing. year.

It was almost as pathetic as Gary Carter whining his way into Cooperstown.

NFL HOF is getting watered down. Reed isn't one of the 32 best of all time.

But I agree ... Elliott is too green to put into any all-time conversations.

I love Andre Reed as much as the next guy, but Torry Holt is better/greater than Andre Reed.

elliott played for the greatest college in the world. so yes.

rod smith is better than than holt, my bias for reed will not let me weigh this answer fairly.

reed's yac was amazing

holt played in a different era with other great wr's.

rod smith was just talented all around but had elway

i'd say smith is better than both of them but reed is close. holt in his best years was better than either.

smith

reed

holt

I love Andre Reed as much as the next guy, but Torry Holt is better/greater than Andre Reed.

Hell yes, put Andre in a dome and watch. Have bruce or holt play in the east without that air control dome

So is Gale Sayers better than Thurman Thomas?

Hell yes, put Andre in a dome and watch. Have bruce or holt play in the east without that air control dome

So is Gale Sayers better than Thurman Thomas?

Sayers played half the seasons Thurman did. Sayers also played on horrible teams for his entire career. This is not a good comparison, in my opinion.

I didn't disagree with that list as much as I disagreed with his list of top DE's of all time. Especially this:

He has Michael Bennett ranked at 27th, ahead of Jared Allen (30), Dwight Freeney (29) and LC Greenwood (28).

Allen had five Pro Bowls, four first-team All Pros, 2011 Defensive Player of the Year, Two-time NFL Sack Leader, 136 career sacks which is good for 11th on the all-time list. Also holds an NFL record for recording safeties with four.

Freeney had seven Pro Bowls, three first team All Pros, 2005 AFC Defensive Player of the Year, Sack Leader for 2005, NFL 2000s All-Decade team, 122.5 career sacks.

Greenwood had six Pro Bowls, two first team All Pros, four Super Bowl rings, voted to 1970s NFL All Decade team, 73.5 sacks in his career, led the Steelers in sacks for 6 straight seasons.

And then there's Michael freaking Bennett: Two Pro Bowls (one Pro Bowl Defensive MVP, big whoop), one Super Bowl ring, 45.5 sacks over 8 seasons. That's an average of 6 sacks a season.

I know Brandt has decades of experience but I don't think Bennett even belongs on this list.

Bennett is arguably the most underrated player of the past decade. He is one of the primary reasons why Seattle's defense is so great, pro bowl appearances or no.

Noob? LOL, just cause I'm new HERE doesn't necessarily make me a noob. Can't tell if your praise for Brant was sarcasm or not. But, anyone who doesn't know Bennett is not in the Hall or thinks Reed doesn't belong in the Top 45 WRs can't be too credible a source. JMO

I personally like Andre Reed a lot as a player, but I also think that Bills fans overrate him greatly. He was a very good but not great player.

Bennett is arguably the most underrated player of the past decade. He is one of the primary reasons why Seattle's defense is so great, pro bowl appearances or no.

I personally like Andre Reed a lot as a player, but I also think that Bills fans overrate him greatly. He was a very good but not great player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now don't quote me but I'm pretty sure I recall reading Andre Reed being in the Top 3 in Receptions, Yards and TD's for WR's at the time of his retirement. If that stat line alone doesn't justify him being in the Top 30 All time and HOF worthy then I don't know what to say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now don't quote me but I'm pretty sure I recall reading Andre Reed being in the Top 3 in Receptions, Yards and TD's for WR's at the time of his retirement. If that stat line alone doesn't justify him being in the Top 30 All time and HOF worthy then I don't know what to say.

OK, just for accuracy. At the time of retirement over a 15 year career Reed was 4th in Rec Yards, 6th in Rec TDs, 3rd in Receptions.

I just don't understand why Robert Brazile is rarely mentioned as an all time great linebacker. He played on a not so great defense and was a one man wrecking crew. Seriously. Do any of you old timers remember this player?

Edited by Bill from NYC

I just don't understand why Robert Brazile is rarely mentioned as an ball time great linebacker. He played on a not so great defense and was a one man wrecking crew. Seriously. Do any of you old timers remember this player?

Great player. I'd dump Hugh Green at #20 off the list and slot him in there.

when marquette king gets his knees busted up i am going to be happy.

there are few players i cheer for injury but that guy is obnoxious and a douchebag

he's a punter. just a little punter. not even a real football player

Reed is #5 all time playoff receiving yards. Sorry, he's a HOFer if there ever was one

And now, even after the game has changed (and he was in early on that), he's #17 overall per Wiki. It sure helps when you're in the playoffs every year. It's so very hard to compare different eras. I say he belongs.

OK, just for accuracy. At the time of retirement over a 15 year career Reed was 4th in Rec Yards, 6th in Rec TDs, 3rd in Receptions.

And did not play in sunny weather or a dome like rice, brown, holt, bruce and many others Edited by Helpmenow

Agreed.

Great player. I'd dump Hugh Green at #20 off the list and slot him in there.

For a couple of seasons, hugh green was absolutely dominant. I guess it depends on how much you value longevity.