patriot bride asked a question

yes i married a patriot bride 26 years ago. she knows her football. she asked why players hate coming to buffalo, but once they settle in, they have good things to say about the city. she is from maine. i said buffalo grows on you. it is a quaint place. people work hard and play hard. i have been in florida for about 10 years. i miss the food. i took her to buffalo 23 years ago. the look of amazement on her face when she experienced niagara falls was awesome. got her wings and took her to kosher deli. she also got beef on weck. lol.

what do you think are the reasons many players like buffalo?

yes i married a patriot bride 26 years ago. she knows her football. she asked why players hate coming to buffalo, but once they settle in, they have good things to say about the city. she is from maine. i said buffalo grows on you. it is a quaint place. people work hard and play hard. i have been in florida for about 10 years. i miss the food. i took her to buffalo 23 years ago. the look of amazement on her face when she experienced niagara falls was awesome. got her wings and took her to kosher deli. she also got beef on weck. lol.

what do you think are the reasons many players like buffalo?

We have a sense of community and togetherness many places don't. We have a small town feel but in a city. It's almost like we are a big family...we can make fun of ourselves but God help the outsider who makes fun of us.

Years of being beaten down and being the brunt of jokes have only made that feeling of togetherness stronger...and plus if you've ever seen how people work together when we get a heavy snow event you'd know what I'm talking about...people snowblowing the elderly neighbors driveway and sidewalk and not expecting anything from them. People taking time out when they see a car stuck to help push it out. The list goes on...we've all been there, we know what it's like to be helpless from the snow, so we all pitch in to help others. What happened during the Blizzard of 77 with people opening their businesses to those stuck and stocked delivery trucks bringing food in for everyone was legendary and was an oversized example of what happens here on an everyday basis.

Not to mention the weather here in the summer might be the best of anywhere in the US...75-80 and sunny most days with a nice breeze. And we are the festival capital of the US, having some of the biggest festivals in the country...Taste of Buffalo, Allentown Art Festival, Italian Festival, CanalFest, National Chicken Wing Festival, Dyngus Day, etc...and hundreds more.

The saying here is people initially come kicking and screaming to Buffalo but after they've been here a while we can't get rid of them.

Edited by matter2003

We have a sense of community and togetherness many places don't. We have a small town feel but in a city. It's almost like we are a big family...we can make fun of ourselves but God help the outsider who makes fun of us.

Years of being beaten down and being the brunt of jokes have only made that feeling of togetherness stronger...and plus if you've ever seen how people work together when we get a heavy snow event you'd know what I'm talking about...people snowblowing the elderly neighbors driveway and sidewalk and not expecting anything from them. People taking time out when they see a car stuck to help push it out. The list goes on...we've all been there, we know what it's like to be helpless from the snow, so we all pitch in to help others. What happened during the Blizzard of 77 with people opening their businesses to those stuck and stocked delivery trucks bringing food in for everyone was legendary and was an oversized example of what happens here on an everyday basis.

my bar mitzvah was blizzard of 77 lol

Part of it might be the maturation of the players. If you are young and looking to go out to clubs every night, New York, Miami and other places can offer more. If you need to rub elbows with celebrities or your girlfriend needs to shop on Rodeo Drive once a week, Buffalo might not seem like a great place. When you get over that stage of life and you want to raise a family, you have cheap housing, great schools public and private, a short flight to New York or Chicago if necessary and few or no midnight traffic jams. If you can afford to snowbird it 3-4 months a year, it is fantastic. The Hockey players love it because it's close to Toronto without the Canadian taxes/Canadian dollar.

It's a slower pace of life than NYC/Miami/LA et al, but when you slow down a bit it can be a great fit.

Part of it might be the maturation of the players. If you are young and looking to go out to clubs every night, New York, Miami and other places can offer more. If you need to rub elbows with celebrities or your girlfriend needs to shop on Rodeo Drive once a week, Buffalo might not seem like a great place. When you get over that stage of life and you want to raise a family, you have cheap housing, great schools public and private, a short flight to New York or Chicago if necessary and few or no midnight traffic jams. If you can afford to snowbird it 3-4 months a year, it is fantastic. The Hockey players love it because it's close to Toronto without the Canadian taxes/Canadian dollar.

It's a slower pace of life than NYC/Miami/LA et al, but when you slow down a bit it can be a great fit.

i think a lot of this is very true. wny really isn't great for young people, but as you mentioned, when people mature and families are started, it's a very nice place to be, (winter weather aside). it really just depends what you're looking for.

i think a lot of this is very true. wny really isn't great for young people, but as you mentioned, when people mature and families are started, it's a very nice place to be, (winter weather aside). it really just depends what you're looking for.

I wish a study could be done about NFL players in their first 3 seasons (I picked 3 out of the sky; another number could make more sense, I don't know), that categorized their off-time activities.

One extreme would be "Worked out, practiced and studied the playbook 100% of the time," the other extreme would be, "Partied like a rock star 100% of the time." Then a few in between.

I'd like to know how much these young guys devote to football and in how many of them it makes a difference on the field.

Some are just naturally gifted and can get away with less diligence - but I think those are exceptions - especially in today's game (I just know this is going to go right to the 80s and 90s, when everyone was doing coke and getting hammered 7 days/week).

I wonder if it would show the % of young players who give into the temptations of the bigger cities and whether - even in Buffalo - young guys still manage to party non-stop.

If you don't know any better, you think rust belt city with 10 feet of snow and a losing NFL team. When you learn a little about it, the first lesson is high taxes. When you KNOW the city you discover great food, good and hard working people, great affordability and seriously devoted Bills fans.

If you don't know any better, you think rust belt city with 10 feet of snow and a losing NFL team. When you learn a little about it, the first lesson is high taxes. When you KNOW the city you discover great food, good and hard working people, great affordability and seriously devoted Bills fans.

Great food?

2 of of 3 of those things are correct. LOL "hot women." You need to get out more.

No, they are hot because they are forced to continue wearing their winter jackets and warm clothes until late spring because the mornings are cold but my lunch time the temperature went up 20 degrees so they get really hot

Great food?

When I get back there are not enough meals in the day to satisfy all the places I want to hit and foods I want to eat. I have to invent new meal times. Even some things as simple as pizza are hard to replicate anywhere else. (I don't know about the fine dining scene there though.)

I haven't lived in Buffalo since 1988 but when I did live there, people wouldn't hassle a Bills or Sabres player if they were seen at the grocery store, restaurant, bar etc. We used to see Jeff Wright and the Kelly clan at Rappl's in OP and everyone treated it like a non-event.

That still seems to be the case. Some of my high school buddies and I were tailgating at the season opener several years ago next to a bunch of Sabres players and people pretty much left them alone other than the occasional "Go Sabres!" shout out. That has to be a nice change from other places where the players are hassled for autographs everywhere they go.

Edited by Haslett_Stomp

I haven't lived in Buffalo since 1988 but when I did live there, people wouldn't hassle a Bill or Sabre player if they were seen at the grocery store, restaurant, bar etc. We used to see Jeff Wright and the Kelly clan at Rappl's in OP and everyone treated it like a non-event.

That still seems to be the case. Some of my high school buddies and I were tailgating at the season opener several years ago next to a bunch of Sabres players and people pretty much left them alone other than the occasional "Go Sabres!" shout out. That has to be a nice change from other places where the players are hassled for autographs everywhere they go.

Is that where I got it? Is it a Buffalo thing? If I'm with my family and see someone famous, they all go crazy. I tell them - yeah, well, just leave them alone and let them eat their dinner/work out/shop or whatever! (Still, my son has a collection of photos with famous people at the gym, I'm not there to stop him...)

All you guys on this board and your women debates make me laugh. Women are women, some are beautiful, some not so much. Some cities just have better plastic surgeons than others.

You know what would make all women look better?

A mute button.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I wish a study could be done about NFL players in their first 3 seasons (I picked 3 out of the sky; another number could make more sense, I don't know), that categorized their off-time activities.

One extreme would be "Worked out, practiced and studied the playbook 100% of the time," the other extreme would be, "Partied like a rock star 100% of the time." Then a few in between.

I'd like to know how much these young guys devote to football and in how many of them it makes a difference on the field.

Some are just naturally gifted and can get away with less diligence - but I think those are exceptions - especially in today's game (I just know this is going to go right to the 80s and 90s, when everyone was doing coke and getting hammered 7 days/week).

I wonder if it would show the % of young players who give into the temptations of the bigger cities and whether - even in Buffalo - young guys still manage to party non-stop.

i think in today's nfl, you have to be amazingly gifted to perform at a high level and put very little work in. i'm sure some get away with it, but i think the guys who have the long, successful careers are the ones who put the time in...like anything else i suppose.

2 of of 3 of those things are correct. LOL "hot women." You need to get out more.

You are looking in the wrong places my friend.

Everywhere I go in this country I see many beautiful girls. Matters little the location. At Bills games Buffalo has a lot of good looking females. They look even better in Bills jerseys.

Edited by cba fan

I do think that some free agents chose cities with the nightlife they want. Miami has had a lot of big free agent signings that wound up to be underperforming players for them. It can happen anywhere, but I think some places are a magnet for players who care a lot more about the lifestyle of a famous NFL player rather than working hard and winning.

The fans.

Many NFL players (and the world at large) are desperate for validation. We have rabid fans that will support the players and show them love even when they suck. We waited at the airport and gave a key to the city to an aging locker-room cancer that the game had passed by. It's ego, and the fans go a long way to make these players feel like they are somehow better or special.

Nowhere else would Trent freakin Edwards get years to start, and fans to fluff him up.

Obviously that is not everyone, as I think there is real validity to the notion that as you grow up, you want a place like Buffalo. Most people don't party all the time, or need to be entertained so much as the young guys. You know when somebody says "theres nothing to do in Buffalo", that they just don't get it. I agree with Hank "Send me to hell or NY city, they're just about the same to me".

But to each his own, and now to quote Chan "That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 different flavors"

The snow. As people fling crap @ Me! ;-)

I love the snow, but it is a PITA.

I like playing in it, but NOT working in it.

I know, I know... I am near Chicago. BUT:

http://goldensnowglobe.com/all-snowiest-us-cities/

Even during this past weak winter BFLo got around 77" of snow. Chicago doesn't even crack the top 50. @ aroung ~20 or so inches. Average is ~35" and the all-time snow record is close to what BFLo gets in a "down year" like this past winter.

Yeah BOS @ ~50"... CLEV/DET @ ~40", MN/NYC/PITT @ ~30"'..

That's around half for other NFL teams...

Snow, I can deal with it... But it gets old, belongs in the mountains @ my age especially...

...Now that being said, I am not adverse to retiring in a snowy place, like the UP of Michigan, etc... But have other options to stay too.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'll put the girls I dated in Buffalo against most places. But I'm handsome so my perspective is probs ly different than yours.

If the Bills won, there would be zero complaints about Buffalo. Plus, Toronto and the Canadian Ballet are right over the board.

If it was all about weather and women, why aren't SD and Miami better?

Players that stick around after their careers are more likley to have married local women and once the kids start coming, the bonds of family are tough to break. Plus. their celebrity status means more in this market than the larger ones and it does create more opportunities (I am speaking financial here.) Summers are great and the traffic is never too bad realtive to other areas.

I doubt the bachelor types or the guys that met their wives elsewhere are as likely to stay.

Not to mention the weather here in the summer might be the best of anywhere in the US...75-80 and sunny most days with a nice breeze.

"Best of anywhere in the U.S."

The best?!

I can understand loving living in Buffalo, but weather is in no way one of the reasons. For just weather, I'll take San Diego

I'll put the girls I dated in Buffalo against most places. But I'm handsome so my perspective is probs ly different than yours.

If the Bills won, there would be zero complaints about Buffalo. Plus, Toronto and the Canadian Ballet are right over the board.

217396.jpg

"Best of anywhere in the U.S."

The best?!

I can understand loving living in Buffalo, but weather is in no way one of the reasons. For just weather, I'll take San Diego

Buffalo summers are the best of anywhere in the country imo. Phoenix has the worst summers.

Buffalo summers are the best of anywhere in the country imo. Phoenix has the worst summers.

Last time I was there during the summer stayed a my sister's on the lake. We were there for a week, it only rained twice, once four three days and once for four days.

Buffalo and Phoenix are exact opposites. They each have about 6 ok months.

I'll take San Diego over Buffalo 12 months a year, for weather. In the winter, San Diego crushes Buffalo. In the summer, Buffalo is a bit hotter than San Diego.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/New-York/Places/buffalo-temperatures-by-month-average.php

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/California/Places/san-diego-temperatures-by-month-average.php

Because Miami is a hot swamp. San Diego outlier.

Na na!

:-P :-P

No, they are hot because they are forced to continue wearing their winter jackets and warm clothes until late spring because the mornings are cold but my lunch time the temperature went up 20 degrees so they get really hot

I was going to say that they ate too many hot wings, but that works too.