Chargers Release Orlando Franklin

yes.

I have to think elway is going to be all over that though - their OL is in need

terrifying how bad Denver fell off after losing their OL.

Everyone those it was Thomas and manning and their WR's doing it on offense. It was their OL. The OL won that championship. The D did everything else.

This goes to show the OL is so very important. The skill players value is great and all, but skill players get you so far until you have protection. The oversight is always believing you need studs on the line when all you need are above average to good consistency on the line with a few stand outs.

This is why Dallas has a chance once they formulate a defense. This is why Buffalo could be close to a winning season.

yes.

I have to think elway is going to be all over that though - their OL is in need

Perhaps--I actually think Miami makes a ton of sense.

Went to school there, and they still have a sizeable need at guard after moving Tunsil to LT full-time.

Why are people so down on Miller? I can think of at least a handful of times Miller was graded out as one of our better players in games. If I recall correctly, Miller had or game where he was our highest rated overall player.

All while not having a good tackle next to him.

The Bills do not have the cap space to make even entertain the idea of signing him without doing some restructuring.

Of course they do--they have nearly $10.5M right now

Why are people so down on Miller? I can think of at least a handful of times Miller was graded out as one of our better players in games. If I recall correctly, Miller had or game where he was our highest rated overall player.

I'm definitely not down on MIller--this is merely an opportunity to add a guy that I feel is a good football player

I'm definitely not down on MIller--this is merely an opportunity to add a guy that I feel is a good football player

I'm all about adding talent. Cream rises to the top and you want to field the best roster possible.

That being said, for being picked 81st overall and being 24 when the season starts, Miller's career is going in right direction.

Franklin being 29 and coming off of two very poor years. It's not like the Bolts dont need help along the line.

Edited by BillsFan17

We are fine at guard....what we need is for some teams to release a linebacker or a safety with something left in the tank

I agree. Miller has played well enough to give the coaches no worries. He was and is part of the #1 rushing O-line in the NFL. Plus they drafted Dawkins who I know they have plans for at RT but is really a Guard and can slide over when in a bind.

The Bills do not have the cap space to make even entertain the idea of signing him without doing some restructuring.

.....think maybe Meatball would restructure?....due $8.3 mil this year......spread it over 2 years even if he was a backup in 2018....if you cut him post June 1, 2018, can't you spread it over 2 years?...cap picture should be better in 2018 I think.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Because they have bad memories of him from his rookie season and haven't bothered to pay attention to his progress. The faction calling for him to replaced is likely not the most knowledgable group of fans.

Hed be an upgrade to Miller, who is still on his rookie deal.

But I dont think we do it at this point, and we roll with Richie and Miller.

I'm not so sure he'd be an upgrade to Miller. Miller had a very successful year last year, showing clear signs of improvement as the year went on. Miller is a strength to this OL imo...

If he can make more progress, he can turn into a stud, but he's already above average imo

I'm all about adding talent. Cream rises to the top and you want to field the best roster possible.

That being said, for being picked 81st overall and being 24 when the season starts, Miller's career is going in right direction.

Franklin being 29 and coming off of two very poor years. It's not like the Bolts dont need help along the line.

The chargers drafted 2 interior lineman in rd 2-3

Because they have bad memories of him from his rookie season and haven't bothered to pay attention to his progress. The faction calling for him to replaced is likely not the most knowledgable group of fans.

Read this after posting , I was so shocked by the comment I replied to, I had to immediately respond.

Miller is a strength and can only get better , I agree, people talking about replacing him have extremely low football I.Q's or are just trolling. Anybody with an ounce of football knowledge knows that John Miller made a huge leap in year 2 and is a helluva guard!

The chargers drafted 2 interior lineman in rd 2-3

Because they needed help on the interior of their line. If Franklin was living up to his contract they either

A) Don't have to draft more competent players

Or

B) Let their drafted players learn a little behind him. Maybe spell him throughout a game to give him a blow here and there.

To me Franklin's best football is behind him.

Agree - I know it is a hard concept for some that players can improve. A move would cost more with little, if any, productivity improvement.

Yeah, there's probably a reason they released him.

3 Million reasons, I would think, plus additional reasons in the amount his new team pays him up to a total of 6.5 Million reasons. They like the 2 guys they drafted, made him expendable.

I agree. Miller has played well enough to give the coaches no worries. He was and is part of the #1 rushing O-line in the NFL. Plus they drafted Dawkins who I know they have plans for at RT but is really a Guard and can slide over when in a bind.

Coaches no worries unless they want a better passing game. Miller: above average for rush. below average for pass. He improved a lot year 1 to year 2, is further improvement possible? Sure!

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

3 Million reasons, I would think, plus additional reasons in the amount his new team pays him up to a total of 6.5 Million reasons. They like the 2 guys they drafted, made him expendable.

The two guys they drafted haven't even suited up in a real game yet. The most likely reason they dumped him is because he's not very good anymore.

The two guys they drafted haven't even suited up in a real game yet. The most likely reason they dumped him is because he's not very good anymore.

Teams do this every year. It is a salary cap issue the cba tried to sort out with the reduction in cap hit for vets. Maybe Orland Franklin does not qualify for this cap savings yet.

terrifying how bad Denver fell off after losing their OL.

Everyone those it was Thomas and manning and their WR's doing it on offense. It was their OL. The OL won that championship. The D did everything else.

This goes to show the OL is so very important. The skill players value is great and all, but skill players get you so far until you have protection. The oversight is always believing you need studs on the line when all you need are above average to good consistency on the line with a few stand outs.

This is why Dallas has a chance once they formulate a defense. This is why Buffalo could be close to a winning season.

The trenches win games on both sides of the ball, if you have a great OL and DL, odds are you're a playoff team, hopefully we start recognizing this. Obvious QB also,but I shouldnt have to say that we all know.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

No, they probably don't look at it that way.

That $10.5 mill will be down to around $7 mill or so after they sign their draftees, and the Bills always go into the season with around $6 mill available for them to use on injury replacements.

The Panthers last year had $13 mill unused which they rolled over into this year, so it's not like they spend right up to the cap either.

They could easily cut a guy or two down the line who could clear up some space, but they have very little space available right now.

In any case, guard isn't a big area of need right now.

Edited by Thurman#1

They do and they gain 4 million more after June1 because of Aaron Williams being released but I think they are trying to maintain youth.

No, they probably don't look at it that way.

That $10.5 mill will be down to around $7 mill or so after they sign their draftees, and the Bills always go into the season with around $6 mill available for them to use on injury replacements.

The Panthers last year had $13 mill unused which they rolled over into this year, so it's not like they spend right up to the cap either.

They could easily cut a guy or two down the line who could clear up some space, but they have very little space available right now.

In any case, guard isn't a big area of need right now.

I could be wrong but I thought that included the draft picks. Also I would look for players like Kouandjio and Henderson getting the boot. That would be almost 3 million.