Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb move if he's healthy. SW as good as gone if he has a good year. Betting on your players to fail is bad

Why would you say they are betting on him to fail? Its all health related.

I am surprised they are not picking this up (if they don't). They must think Sammy is just way too injury prone.

He's not able to practice yet.

Why would you say they are betting on him to fail? Its all health related.

He's not able to practice yet.

Yeah, kind of surprised it seems he's so hurt here. Tough break (no pun) for him and the Bills if he's hurt to the point where it's a chronic issue that can't really be resolved.

I disagree, while I don't agree with not giving him the 5th year, I don't think he will mail it in, he is in a contract year.

question; worse case scenario, can we franchise tag him after this year?

@RapSheet

Source: #Bills are not picking up Sammy Watkins' 5th-year option. ... Could be a blessing. Franchise number much higher than option number.

I thought I had read that the tag was like $2MM more than the 5th year option? Certainly not MUCH higher...

The Buffalo Bills will not be picking up wide receiver Sammy Watkins' fifth-year option, the team announced on Tuesday.

Bills head coach Sean McDermott issued the following statement:

"Sammy and I have had good conversations about this decision. There is no question that Sammy is a very good football player and has worked very hard during his rehab this offseason. We look forward to seeing a healthy Sammy Watkins on the field in 2017."

Around The NFL will have more on this shortly ...

I don't know what to make of this because Sammy is a special talent but special means nothing if he can't get on the field.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

Not sure how this is disrespectful.

Honestly the Buffalo Bills may not only be the worst-run organization in professional sports, they may be the worst-run private business in America that is not an airline.

JetBlue baby!

McHardass wants to see Sammy at full health before he can make sure he is worth it. So piss him off, lose a year of leverage and awayyyyy we go. Same town different circus. Heck I bash Sammy as much as anyone and this was an EASY decision.

I love the smart decisions going on at OBD finally. No way in hell do I pick up his option. He has to EARN the new contract and Sammy can't stay on the field. If he does, franchise him and work out a long term deal, if not trade him.

You got to look at it from Sammys side. He definitely won't resign after being disrespected. So mail it in, so they don't franchise you.

look at it from an intelligent human's side. sammy's time is coming up to get a big pay day if he can show he can play to the extent we think he can, and stay healthy. mailing it in would do nothing but hurt his future. it's just a dumb thought.

We can just franchise tag him?

He doesn't have to sign it. Although I expect him the have a great year, be franchised, and the team try to sign him to a huge extension. It's just a matter of whether he wants to stay in Buffalo after this. I'm hoping he does. Some team will pay through the roof for him.