Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Beane and seems obvious but McDermott wasn't the favorite and then he was hired. Don't be surprised if it is not Beane.

Beane is being linked to Buffalo because of McDermott and their relationship. They have been linked before Whaley was fired.

Furthermore, might be only if the only ones okay taking the position with the power that mcdermott seems to have.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Gil Brandt said that Whaley will certainly get a job but NOT as a GM, at least for the time being. He said he would have to do some work to ever get back to that capacity.

I am paraphrasing but this is what I heard at approx. noon today on Sirius.

Makes sense

@charlesrobinson

Name of #Chiefs Brett Veach is really starting to circulate in personnel circles around the #Bills GM job.

@nfldraftscout

If it doesn't happen this year, it'll happen very soon. Veach is a future GM.

That is tops on my list

Not sure if anyone has already posted a link to this December '16 article from Albert Breer on the "short list of GMs for 2017"--came across it as I'm trying to educate myself on who the most well-respected top candidates are for a new GM gig. I apologize if someone has already posted the link and if any candidates are gone:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/15/nfl-general-manager-candidates-2017

Beane and seems obvious but McDermott wasn't the favorite and then he was hired. Don't be surprised if it is not Beane.

Love the new sig BB - you missed "ONE VOICE" though.....

And I will just remind you all McDermott was my favourite the moment the Bills job became vacant. I have all the faith in the world in him at this point... even to the point where I as a Whaley sympathiser am content to put the whole ship in McD's hands.

Bills seek permission to interview Carolina's Brandon Beane for GM opening [1:58 AM]
Buffalo News reports: 'Beane was named the Panthers' assistant GM in June 2015. Before that, he served as as the director of football operations and served as interim general manager in 2012 before the Panthers hired Dave Gettleman. Beane interviewed with the San Francisco 49ers in January before they ultimately hired John Lynch.

Not sure what the debate is. Its going to be the guy from Carolina. Good GMs want total control and the Pegulas messed up and are giving that to Mcdermott.. Therefore its gonna have to be someone that knows the HC. Most teams don't give total control to the head coach. This is such a mistake.

Agreed.

Gil Brandt said that Whaley will certainly get a job but NOT as a GM, at least for the time being. He said he would have to do some work to ever get back to that capacity.

I think this is absolutely right. He hasn't done badly enough that he would never get a GM job again, but he hasn't done well enough to get another one on the back of this work with the Bills. If he wants to stay in the NFL his best route is Director of Pro Personnel in a stable organisation with a veteran, older GM and try and get himself in the spot where is considered the "continuity candidate" when that guy retires.

Edited by GunnerBill

Not sure what the debate is. Its going to be the guy from Carolina. Good GMs want total control and the Pegulas messed up and are giving that to Mcdermott.. Therefore its gonna have to be someone that knows the HC. Most teams don't give total control to the head coach. This is such a mistake.

Or... McDermott is going to listen to someone he trusts and let him evaluate the talent for him? Wow what a concept! The HC has someone he can TRUST and likes as a GM And they work together to build a roster. Wow!!!

Hmmmm. Interesting. I heard T Pegs say that it will be a collaboration, that the HC and GM will work together. Doesn't sound like total control.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I heard T Pegs say that it will be a collaboration, that the HC and GM will work together. Doesn't sound like total control.

Pegula also said collaboration between Doug and Sean before the draft. We now know that was bull.

Pegula also said collaboration between Doug and Sean before the draft. We now know that was bull.

I think T Pegs wants collaboration . It doesn't seem that Whaley was capable of it. That's probably why he had to go.

For those that asked about my suggestion of doing what's necessary to get Will McClay, well, he's the guy that's been running the Cowboys' drafts for years.

Jerry and Steven Jones like to take the credit, but NFL insiders will tell you that it's McClay's show.

He'd be my #1 pick for GM for this team, if he's willing to take other offers.

One of my favorite articles about him:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/23/14714008/seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-dallas-cowboys-mysterious-draft-guru-will-mcclay-ezekiel-elliott

For those that asked about my suggestion of doing what's necessary to get Will McClay, well, he's the guy that's been running the Cowboys' drafts for years.

Jerry and Steven Jones like to take the credit, but NFL insiders will tell you that it's McClay's show.

He'd be my #1 pick for GM for this team, if he's willing to take other offers.

One of my favorite articles about him:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/2/23/14714008/seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-dallas-cowboys-mysterious-draft-guru-will-mcclay-ezekiel-elliott

No relationship with McDermott probably means no consideration.

No Rooney rule?

There is a Rooney rule for front office as well.

Which, I am sorry, but I don't think the rule makes much sense other than being PC at this point.

I know it has worked in the past but if a team wants who they want, they will hire who they want regardless of race.

Instrumental in drafting that filthy Seahawks roster.

Did an amazing job turning around a deadbeat franchise in Washington.

By all accounts the Skins termination was the result of Dan Snyder's asinine behavior.

Sign me the f**k up!

I mentioned in another thread that they should put him in a behind the scenes talent evaluator/draft role like Scott Pioli in Atlanta. He can do what he does best, but behind the scenes due to his issues. Beane would be the GM who is the face of the FO.

By all accounts the Skins termination was the result of Dan Snyder's asinine behavior.

Sign me the f**k up!

Was McCloughan responsible for DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon being in DC? No, he wasn't.

That being said

Kirk Cousins and his two 1000 yd WR's did the turning around. Well, that and a crappy NFCE in 2015.

I mentioned in another thread that they should put him in a behind the scenes talent evaluator/draft role like Scott Pioli in Atlanta. He can do what he does best, but behind the scenes due to his issues. Beane would be the GM who is the face of the FO.

I be fine with that role but not sure Beane is the best option as GM.

Hopefully the Bills got a good up and coming young HC and find a good up and coming young GM, then draft a good rookie QB so we can be good for 15-20 years and win 3-4 Super Bowls, spread out over that time every few seasons.

Is that too much to ask?!

It had to have been a collaboration because it takes a year to set up most teams draft boards. McDerm would not have been able to do it in 3 months.

It had to have been a collaboration because it takes a year to set up most teams draft boards. McDerm would not have been able to do it in 3 months.

Exactly, just because Whaley's fate was all but sealed, they still had to work together in some capacity.

McCloughan would be a huge get for the Bills; the only question is whether he wants the full GM job or would settle for a key scouting role. The guy is one of the best talent evaluators around; he got pushed out by an insecure Bruce Allen in DC, and the the Skins released his drinking issues publicly (which is schitty).

McCloughan would be a huge get for the Bills; the only question is whether he wants the full GM job or would settle for a key scouting role. The guy is one of the best talent evaluators around; he got pushed out by an insecure Bruce Allen in DC, and the the Skins released his drinking issues publicly (which is schitty).

if I am Pegs I pay him a ton and put him behind the scenes. Lend him support with the alcoholism/rehab, if open to it.

if I am Pegs I pay him a ton and put him behind the scenes. Lend him support with the alcoholism/rehab, if open to it.

He's noted for saying he's a functional alcoholic, and if he just sticks to beer he can control it.

Sign me the f**k up!

Sign me up too. He would be an asset, just hope he can coexist peacefully with McForehead.

Well he went to college right down the road at Wichita State so I'm sold.

In all seriousness though, he seems to have a pretty good scouting record. Make him head of college scouting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/larrybrownsports.com/football/scot-mccloughan-candidate-replace-doug-whaley/366380/amp

McCloughan was fired by Washington earlier this offseason amid rumors that he was struggling with alcohol relapses. However, one of McCloughans former players said a few weeks back that alcohol is no longer an issue.