Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Bringing in an active alcoholic, which is apparently the case (based on a basic web search it at least appears that way) is a mistake for both the team and the person. Assuming this is the case he needs to get his life together before taking on another high pressure job and this is exactly the sort of anarchy Pegula should be avoiding.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing in an active alcoholic, which is apparently the case (based on a basic web search it at least appears that way) is a mistake for both the team and the person. Assuming this is the case he needs to get his life together before taking on another high pressure job and this is exactly the sort of anarchy Pegula should be avoiding.

Precisely

He started a scouting service right before the draft and revised two teams draft boards. No inkling on which teams. He is really, really good at talent evaluation and personnel strategy.

A lot of us have loved ones who are addicts. There's no simple answer ever to what an individual needs --it's really personalized... Some thrive in rehab...some folks think the worst thing you can do is put an addicted individual in an environment with other addicts. Some favor support with meds...some don't .... There is no "getting a handle" on the problem or any other trite solution. The team that affiliates with him is going to have to evaluate his personal situation and build that kind of support network around him..that being said -- would love to have him affiliated with the Bills and have him build the scouting organization. If not as GM then as a really highly paid personnel tsar....

Edited by JoeF

Albert Breer mentioned that 2 teams in addition to the Redskins used McCloughan's scouting information and board for the 2017 draft.

As soon as the Whaley firing went down, NFL reporter Benjamin Albright said that the Bills were looking at McCloughan for a front office role(not specifically GM).

With our front office situation, I would have to think we were one of the 2 teams and that could be where some of this McCloughan rumor is/was coming from. Secondly, with the Bills looking at first time GMs, I would expect some type of personnel guru type to be in the front office mix.

At this point, I don't think Pegula is above saying to Scot, "How much do make from your scouting consulting? Come work for me. I'll double your yearly salary and all you have to do not give your data to anyone else but us." It makes alot of sense. And you are not putting in a high profile position at all.

Albert Breer mentioned that 2 teams in addition to the Redskins used McCloughan's scouting information and board for the 2017 draft.

As soon as the Whaley firing went down, NFL reporter Benjamin Albright said that the Bills were looking at McCloughan for a front office role(not specifically GM).

With our front office situation, I would have to think we were one of the 2 teams and that could be where some of this McCloughan rumor is/was coming from. Secondly, with the Bills looking at first time GMs, I would expect some type of personnel guru type to be in the front office mix.

At this point, I don't think Pegula is above saying to Scot, "How much do make from your scouting consulting? Come work for me. I'll double your yearly salary and all you have to do not give your data to anyone else but us." It makes alot of sense. And you are not putting in a high profile position at all.

this is what I was thinking as well.

Exactly.

Love the new sig BB - you missed "ONE VOICE" though.....

And I will just remind you all McDermott was my favourite the moment the Bills job became vacant. I have all the faith in the world in him at this point... even to the point where I as a Whaley sympathiser am content to put the whole ship in McD's hands.

I used vision as my spin on it. Glad you like it.

Love the new sig BB - you missed "ONE VOICE" though.....

And I will just remind you all McDermott was my favourite the moment the Bills job became vacant. I have all the faith in the world in him at this point... even to the point where I as a Whaley sympathiser am content to put the whole ship in McD's hands.

I used vision as my spin on it. Glad you like it.

Pegula also said collaboration between Doug and Sean before the draft. We now know that was bull.

So where is the new avatar ;)

if I am Pegs I pay him a ton and put him behind the scenes. Lend him support with the alcoholism/rehab, if open to it.

Sounds easy but overcoming alcoholism is really really tough. I have dealt with couple of alcoholics close to me in the past several years and have seen their struggles as well as those around them. It is different in family and business. McC would have to prove an extensive period of sobriety before the Bills should consider hiring him. First ask the simple question - has he been off the bottle since his dismissal ? I really dont buy the 'functioning alcoholic' defense.

The HC should not run the personnel department.....how will he do this while coaching the team?

Who even needs a personnel department? Just let Sean pick players using internet mock drafts. He can use Todd McShay's board.

Edited by jeffismagic

Is the whole scouting team fired? It was never really mentioned in the statement and the scouts before the draft was expected to be fired. If they are i could see this.

General Manager- Brandon Beane

Director of Player Personnel- Brett Veach

Isn't Brett Veach Director of PLayer Personnel in KC at present? Why would he take a lateral move?

The new Bills. Coach with power, surrounding himself with his guys. Ralph era officially over.

Overdorf, Lamattina, Brandon still here

Regardless of who the "real" GM is, you don't think that some very good scouts just got tossed out the door with some bad scouts?

Yes of course. This is also true when there is wholesale replacement of coaching assistants.