Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Albert Breer mentioned that 2 teams in addition to the Redskins used McCloughan's scouting information and board for the 2017 draft.

As soon as the Whaley firing went down, NFL reporter Benjamin Albright said that the Bills were looking at McCloughan for a front office role(not specifically GM).

With our front office situation, I would have to think we were one of the 2 teams and that could be where some of this McCloughan rumor is/was coming from. Secondly, with the Bills looking at first time GMs, I would expect some type of personnel guru type to be in the front office mix.

At this point, I don't think Pegula is above saying to Scot, "How much do make from your scouting consulting? Come work for me. I'll double your yearly salary and all you have to do not give your data to anyone else but us." It makes alot of sense. And you are not putting in a high profile position at all.

I would love this. The guy has incredible talent for finding players. He has also been battling demons for years in terms of alcohol but it sounded like what went down in Washington was more politics than actual issues with his personal decisions.

Give him a director of personnel gig whose job it is to identify talent but who doesn't face constant pressure/scrutiny.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's noted for saying he's a functional alcoholic, and if he just sticks to beer he can control it.

From experience with a family member and work associates. Even being a "functional alcoholic" You never "control it"

In particular working in a high stress executive position. Impossible. Control what? The ability too

build a team while hammered or hungover? Talent aside this is a career killer and even larger problems with the people

who care about the functioning alcoholic.

We are doing things backwards as normally the GM hires the coach. So the Pegula's should be deferring to McDermott as who he would be most comfortable working with.

Obviously, McDermott is a total unknown, someone who has been granted unprecedented power as a 1st time HC. However, there is no turning back now they need to sign off on the guy McDermott wants. Both guys need to be tied to the hip and if they fail they both need to be held responsible.

Edited by billieve420

I know it's irrational, but I don't want anyone from the team that gave up picks to get rid of a terrible QB they signed to a crazy contract.

Getting rid of Osweiler has nothing to do with Gaine's ability to evaluate personnel as the decision to sign and jettison him was on the GM Rick Smith.

McDermott is already GM. They are really looking for a head scout.

Interesting times, interesting times..

Beane and Veach seem like the popular names right now and everything I've read on each seems promising.

If Carrucci is correct, Bills pretty much have to hire someone willing to be subservient to Coach McWrestler

@SalSports

I can't fine any connection between Gaine and McDermott. Gaine is a Bill Parcells disciple.

Can he say "yes, Sir" and (to the press) "Coach will give a statement about that later today"

Interesting times, interesting times..

If Carrucci is correct, Bills pretty much have to hire someone willing to be subservient to Coach McWrestler

Can he say "yes, Sir" and (to the press) "Coach will give a statement about that later today"

I think the whole McD power thing is being way overblown. I'm sure he know Whaley was on his way out and if that's because he wanted it that way then I'm glad. Why would he give Whaley any final say in anything knowing he was going to be fired?

I'm assuming that McD and the new GM will work together and it's not going to be some dictatorship.