Chiefs fans are laughing about the trade.

This is the truth. Andy "Big Love" Reid is good until it counts. Then he blows the game, and his son gets hooked on heroin. Crunch time isnt his thing, and coincidentially, neither are crunches.

I'm sure most men who spend 18 hours a day at the office were lousy fathers.

Chiefs are a good team, they aren't going to knock off the Pats (coach and player insufficiencies there)

They have a solid expectation of the playoffs, the kind of team that will jump right in if the better teams get hurt (like Andy Murray)

These negative reactions blow me away. They really do.

KC, despite their record, is not very good. They are average with an average QB, below average offense and above average defense.

I think it's entirely realistic they go 8-8 or worse in 2017. They Raiders are better than the chiefs, the Broncos might be better, and the Chargers are ok but probably a little worse.

If I were a chiefs fan and I had any hope for 2017, I'd be pissed. Seems to be planning more for the future than trying to win now by paying such a big price for a guy who's not playing in 2017 and not getting much in tha draft that's helping this year.

KC, despite their record, is not very good. They are average with an average QB, below average offense and above average defense.

I think it's entirely realistic they go 8-8 or worse in 2017. They Raiders are better than the chiefs, the Broncos might be better, and the Chargers are ok but probably a little worse.

If I were a chiefs fan and I had any hope for 2017, I'd be pissed. Seems to be planning more for the future than trying to win now by paying such a big price for a guy who's not playing in 2017 and not getting much in tha draft that's helping this year.

I think KC is better than you say because of the coaching, but it is the case that their pythagorean record last year was 10.1-5.9, and they were helped with ridiculously close and arguably lucky wins against Atlanta, SD, Carolina, and Denver. Almost all were basically decided on the last play and involved flukes. They also went 2-0 in OT. The Atlanta game was the most ridiculous one; ATL had just gone up by one point late in the game and went for two to take a 3-point lead, and Berry returned an INT for a pick-2.

They lost one tough one to TN on the last play, but by my count they went 4-1 in nail biters. They lost 19-17 to TB, but it was 19-10 when the Chiefs scored very late (garbage time, basically). TB dominated them statistically.

Furthermore, their 6th overall DVOA ranking was bolstered by being #2 in ST; they were 13th on offense and 14th on defense. ST performance fluctuates wildly from year to year.

Edited by dave mcbride

Did anyone else get the feeling that the pairings of QB to teams was off?

I thought of that "Love Stinks" song looking at Mahomes on the phone with the Chiefs. IMO, he looked like he was crushed that he wasn't going to the Texans. It's one of the reasons why I was getting hesitant about the Bills drafting him. Yes, Jim didn't want to come here, but that was in a whole different era. Teams didn't give a you-know-what and the player would just have to suck it up or do something else. I thought that Trubisky should have gone to the Browns because it was the natural fit that should have been, and I thought that Watson was just a more natural fit for the Chiefs. Now they have a guy that probably wanted to be somewhere else.

When the Bills do finally pick their franchise QB (no doubt 2018, unless Jones takes over the 2017 season and locks it down), I want it to be a slam dunk, guy wants to be here, is happy to be here, and is ready to big a big part in ending the Patriots dominance of the AFC east and conference.

Edited by 1billsfan

Every year I say the Chiefs aren't very good and every year they churn out double digit wins and I am freaking sick of it! Time for a correction! Let's see that Chiefs pick become top 15!

Every year I say the Chiefs aren't very good and every year they churn out double digit wins and I am freaking sick of it! Time for a correction! Let's see that Chiefs pick become top 15!

That's the plain truth about the Chiefs.

The Chiefs are consistently good. They tend to play Disciplined football and capitalize on other teams errors. They also have been well-coached. However their margin of error is very small. They could easily lose the close games this year instead of win them. I doubt they will be terrible but I wouldn't count on them being in the 20s for sure.

The Chiefs are consistently good. They tend to play Disciplined football and capitalize on other teams errors. They also have been well-coached. However their margin of error is very small. They could easily lose the close games this year instead of win them. I doubt they will be terrible but I wouldn't count on them being in the 20s for sure.

Their schedule looks pretty tough and now their starting QB has been told they don't want him anymore. They certainly could be heading for an 8-8 or worse season.

Team disunity or discomfort is never a good thing in the NFL.

They got a "project" QB. They had to reach for him because Browns and Cardinals were waiting for Mahomes. We got one of the best corners in the draft with that 27th pick, which was likely one of our original objectives at 10 anyways. What you're going to see this year is that our first rounder will be on the field while theirs won't be. For them QB is a long term project, as it should be. It's a gamble but their GM Dorsey's banked a lot of goodwill at KC that allows him room for one or two big mistakes. Here's what SI said about the pick:

"How ‘bout that? As rumor had it all day long, the Chiefs swung for the fences, moving up a whopping 17 spots in Round 1 at the cost of picks 27, 91 and a 2018 first-rounder. But with Cleveland and Arizona lurking at picks 12 and 13, respectively, Kansas City had little choice if it wanted to guarantee itself Mahomes. The gunslinger from Texas Tech lands in a perfect situation, with a QB-friendly coach in Andy Reid, a veteran in Alex Smith to hold down the fort and an opportunity to take over the starting job soon. The rub: The Chiefs paid a huge price for a developmental quarterback, choosing Mahomes over Deshaun Watson. This is the type of move that can make or break a front office."

Reid on Mahomes:

""I don’t worry about Alex on this," Reid said. "Alex knows we trust him. Alex is the starting quarterback. Nothing is going to change there. The kid is going to take some time. He understands that. But there's gonna be a day Alex isn't playing anymore and we'll need someone to step in and play.""

Edited by CanadianFan

They were 6-0 against those 3 teams that are better than them. Just saying - Their defense is legit.

They lost 4 games, and 3 of those losses were by 1 score. They win the majority of close games because they play tough d, and run the ball well.

Edited by dneveu

Congrats for reading an internet post on Mahomes and basing your opinion on that. You were wrong but keep digging.

OMG, you act like you are the end all be all QB evaluator because you like a QB that 5 teams DESPERATE at QB passed on before Chiefs took him. Just stop dude. You talk about Mahomes like he's a sure fire HOF QB, yet he wasn't in anyones top 40 for the most part, wasn't even in the top 2 at his own position by most accounts. Time will tell how he does, but you over exaggerate him like no other...

Your crush on him is one thing, but CONSTANTLY shoving that crush down everyones throat like you can see the future is ridiculous. If the dude was a lock, he would have gone #1 to Cleveland, #2 to Bears, #3 to SF, #4 to Jax, #6 to the Jets or even #7 to Chargers who need to find a Rivers replacement soon. Instead, he went to a team who is deep on both sides of the ball and has the luxury of taking a guy that doesn't need to contribute for a year or two. But the teams that desperately needed a QB, ALL passed on him.

And, this nonsense about Reid being some QB guru is false. His GENERAL MANAGER drafted one of the top QB prospects when they were desperate at QB, and the best one on the board was McNabb. Just because McNabb worked out, doesn't make Reid a guru. Since then, he has literally done nothing with QB's. In fact, Smith went more than a full season (594 days to be exact) without throwing a TD to a WR which was his worst year since Harbaugh saved his career in SF. Nothing about Reid makes him a QB guru...so trying to annoit Mahomes because Reid the guru drafted him is a bit silly. Not to mention, you have no idea if that is what Reid wanted, could have been a move by the GM to go get a potential QB replacement for Smith. In fact, it would make more sense that a team competing for a potential SB berth next year that the coach would have wanted a major impact player next year at 10, not a QB who will sit at least one and probably 2 years behind Smith and do nothing for the teams current SB run. Coaches almost always prefer to draft for the now, especially on a team seriously competing.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

Andy Reid was basically fired in Philly for a run of questionable personnel decisions and poor drafting. I'm not buying into the idea that he "knows what a QB looks like."

He did not draft Bret Favre. Tom Modrak had more to do with the selection of McNabb than Reid. Has Reid developed QBs - absolutely. But these are the QBs that he has been directly involved in selecting in the draft:

Kevin Kolb

AJ Feeley

Andy Hall

Mike Kafka

Nick Foles

Aaron Murray

Kevin Hogan

I'm not worried that Reid sees something in Mahomes that we don't.

Also, the Chiefs have the 3rd hardest schedule in the NFL next year and have to play OAK twice, DEN twice, SD twice, NE, DAL, NYG, and PIT. Not to mention that the strength of their team was a number 1 defense that is typically an unsustainable trait from year to year.

And finally, they were many articles written last year midseason that the Chiefs were about to fall off a cliff. As we all know, they didn't. But that fall is coming.

I think this is a pretty calculated trade that we made here.

The trade is what it is, there's good and bad in it, things will pan out as they do, hopefully to the Bills advantage.

But people on here trying to pretend the Chiefs are a hopeless organization is quite funny.

Pretty simple. If Mahomes turns out to be the elusive franchise QB it was a fantastic trade for KC and the Bills are the dopes that didn't take him. But if Mahomes flames out then KC made a much bigger blunder than the Bills did with the Watkins trade up. It will be a few years until we see which it is.

But in the meantime, the Bills are setup for a hell of a 2018 draft and still are managing to plug a few holes in this draft. And should have a chance at a "franchise" QB themselves next year. A sound, conservative move IMO.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I like Mahomes as a prospect and was disappointed the Bills didn't go after him to be a franchise QB. But I think Chad Kelly is better so I still have hope.

If I was the Chiefs tho, I wouldn't be laughing. QBs are risky and have a high failure rate and he probably won't help them next year.

Next year, we can expect the Raiders to be better. The Broncos may be better if Paxton Lynch is decent. The Chiefs could be looking at a 3rd place finish in their division. That is a bottom 15 pick.

I think that you have to remember that no one expected Mitchell Trubisky to be anywhere near the NFL draft last year at this time. Mahomes wasn't even considered a first or second pround pick. Darnold has very little film at this point, we don't know if he's a sure thing at #1. A lot can change between now and then.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Pretty simple. If Mahomes turns out to be the elusive franchise QB it was a fantastic trade for KC and the Bills are the dopes that didn't take him. But if Mahomes flames out then KC made a much bigger blunder than the Bills did with the Watkins trade up. It will be a few years until we see which it is.

But in the meantime, the Bills are setup for a hell of a 2018 draft and still are managing to plug a few holes in this draft. And should have a chance at a "franchise" QB themselves next year. A sound, conservative move IMO.

In the meantime, the Chiefs have a ticket to the championship lottery and the Bills do not.

Wait 'till next year! The Bills really are the new Cubs.

The Bills pick up probably two more starters in 2 years for a team with lots of holes. Chiefs picked up a no impact guy in 2017.

If Mahomes is a franchise QB, good on them but Bills win either way.

You don't actually believe that, do you? We probably won the trade...but if Mahomes is a franchise QB, Bills LOSE. Hard.

Until Rosen and Darnold go 1 and 2 to the Jets/Browns

49ers/Chargers are possibilities as well...

We seem to forget that here

The Chiefs aren't a lock to make the playoffs. They aren't that good. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go 8-8.

They are like 43-21 or 41-23 since Reid has been there.

11-5 or 10-6

Andy Reid was basically fired in Philly for a run of questionable personnel decisions and poor drafting. I'm not buying into the idea that he "knows what a QB looks like."

He did not draft Bret Favre. Tom Modrak had more to do with the selection of McNabb than Reid. Has Reid developed QBs - absolutely. But these are the QBs that he has been directly involved in selecting in the draft:

Kevin Kolb

AJ Feeley

Andy Hall

Mike Kafka

Nick Foles

Aaron Murray

Kevin Hogan

Also, the Chiefs have the 3rd hardest schedule in the NFL next year and have to play OAK twice, DEN twice, SD twice, NE, DAL, NYG, and PIT. Not to mention that the strength of their team was a number 1 defense that is typically an unsustainable trait from year to year.

And finally, they were many articles written last year midseason that the Chiefs were about to fall off a cliff. As we all know, they didn't. But that fall is coming.

They were saying Sirius this morning it was bad for KC. Andy Reid falls in love with a player and thats the end of it, good or bad

Kevin Kolb

AJ Feeley

Andy Hall

Mike Kafka

Nick Foles

Aaron Murray

Kevin Hogan

Oh **** some smart posting. I agree...

do you really think the Bills were gonna take Mahomes? not sure what you are saying?

trading isn't a zero sum game

both teams can "win"

You're not sure what I'm saying? I'm saying that if Mahomes is a franchise QB, the Bills lost that trade.

Would you trade a rookie CB, 3rd round pick, and next years 1st for a franchise QB? If the answer is no...