Brock Osweiler

stuvian

He started one year in college and had twelve games as a Bronco before going to Houston. I am aware of how badly things looked for him as a Texan but I can't help thinking that at some price point he is a good contrarian play. I think that Houston saw him as a finished product which he wasn't. I believe in renaissance QBs when given the chance in the right system (Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Steve Young).

My question is at what price point does taking Brock Osweiler make sense? I believe he is salvageable and in time could be a competent QB along the lines of Matt Stafford.

If we are trading down we are essentially opting out of this QB class and would likely entertain such options along with AJ McCarron etc

He started one year in college and had twelve games as a Bronco before going to Houston. I am aware of how badly things looked for him as a Texan but I can't help thinking that at some price point he is a good contrarian play. I think that Houston saw him as a finished product which he wasn't. I believe in renaissance QBs when given the chance in the right system (Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Steve Young).

My question is at what price point does taking Brock Osweiler make sense? I believe he is salvageable and in time could be a competent QB along the lines of Matt Stafford.

If we are trading down we are essentially opting out of this QB class and would likely entertain such options along with AJ McCarron etc

How do you figure trading down is "opting out of this QB class?"

I don't think he's ever going to be good. Watched him a lot here in AZ and he looked just as bad in the pros. Should've improved by now if he's ever going to be good, I would think.

Flash in the pan.

Edited by LeGOATski

if you trade out of the first round you are opting out of this year's class with the possible exception of Kizer or Webb

You didn't mention trading out of the first round. If we traded down with Houston, for example, and took their 25th pick, it's not unlikely that two of the three- Mahommes, Watson, Kizer- would be available. But, even if we did trade out of the first round, one of those three, as well as Webb, Kaaya, and Peterman would likely be available as late as the third round.

Frankly, I would suspect that trading down would make it easier for us to draft a QB.

You didn't mention trading out of the first round. If we traded down with Houston, for example, and took their 25th pick, it's not unlikely that two of the three- Mahommes, Watson, Kizer- would be available. But, even if we did trade out of the first round, one of those three, as well as Webb, Kaaya, and Peterman would likely be available as late as the third round.

Frankly, I would suspect that trading down would make it easier for us to draft a QB.

I don't disagree but trading out of round one entirely is tantamount to saying this year's QBs offer nothing. Trading into the bottom of round 1 should land us the likes of Mahomes, Webb or Kizer.

So you're saying he could throw for 5,000 yards like stafford can? Have you seen this guy play? There is zero chance this guy is ever a winning qb in the nfl.

Agreed...Osweiler is the white version of EJ Manuel.

Edited by JaCrispy

Not a question of want just a matter of whether a deal is sufficiently wothwhile

It's not

The contract alone makes him the hardest player in the league to move. That is the 1st trade that I can remember (in the NFL) where a team attached an asset to get rid of a guy. In addition to the horrible contract, he is a bad football player. If we are looking for a reclamation project I'd rather Kaep (and I don't want him). At least Kaep has played well at the NFL level.

It's not

The contract alone makes him the hardest player in the league to move. That is the 1st trade that I can remember (in the NFL) where a team attached an asset to get rid of a guy. In addition to the horrible contract, he is a bad football player. If we are looking for a reclamation project I'd rather Kaep (and I don't want him). At least Kaep has played well at the NFL level.

don't disagree with anything you've said but if we opt out of this year's QB class we may need to look at long shots like Brock

don't disagree with anything you've said but if we opt out of this year's QB class we may need to look at long shots like Brock

Why? He's significantly worse than what we currently have. We are looking for an upgrade (which is why we are opting out of this class). We'd be much better off trying to get that guy in 2018.

Why? He's significantly worse than what we currently have. We are looking for an upgrade (which is why we are opting out of this class). We'd be much better off trying to get that guy in 2018.

if we can negotiate his contract down he wouldn't be a bad option. Did Dennison not coach him in Denver? I think we might be looking at a Rich Gannon / Jim Plunkett situation here where a guy can succeed in the right circumstances

if we can negotiate his contract down he wouldn't be a bad option. Did Dennison not coach him in Denver? I think we might be looking at a Rich Gannon / Jim Plunkett situation here where a guy can succeed in the right circumstances

Most guys end up as Losman, Tebow and Manziel not Gannon and Plunkett. Osweiler isn't good at football. The more he has played the worse he has been. He should feel INCREDIBLY fortunate that he signed that contract. His play never warranted that. He will remain on a roster until it is financially reasonable to release him. He MAY catch on somewhere as a backup at that point. Otherwise, he will sit on a bench and collect a big check.

If Browns want the 10th pick I would take Josh Gordon and Osweiller (2 million)and the 12th pick.

If i were the Bills I would require more in return...i don't ever foresee Gordon or Osweiler ever playing again...so basically we are losing value in our 1st round pick for nothing.

This may shock some people here but not all players, QBs especially, get better with time. He sucks. Time to accept it and try to raise the bar significantly higher.

If Browns want the 10th pick I would take Josh Gordon and Osweiller (2 million)and the 12th pick.

Such a horrible deal for us. Absolutely horrible.

I don't disagree but trading out of round one entirely is tantamount to saying this year's QBs offer nothing. Trading into the bottom of round 1 should land us the likes of Mahomes, Webb or Kizer.

I'd be surprised if we didn't draft a QB at some point in the draft. My own worthless guess would be fifth round. Secretly (ok, not so secretly), I hope we sign Kelly as an UDFA.

It's not

They did so to get rid of a terrible mistake---a mistake the Browns were happy to repeat (the booby prize of a 2nd round future pick is a joke). Now the Browns will offer another team 10 million to take him off their hands.

Why should the Bills line up at the idiot counter with these two teams?

So you're saying he could throw for 5,000 yards like stafford can? Have you seen this guy play? There is zero chance this guy is ever a winning qb in the nfl.

I think some people just look at names. How could people want this guy? He has been a terrible QB so far

Facts: Browns lost 16 mill cap space and received a 2018 2nd, 2017 6th

Texans get 2017 4th.

For another team to absorb O's 16 mill cap hit then Browns need to ante up. Especially considering other teams caps are more valuable as they do not have the unlimited cap Browns have.

So team that takes Osweiler needs to get Browns 2017 3rd and give Browns a 2018 4th.

Nobody will do that. Neither the Browns or any team.

Browns acquired Osweiler for draft picks because they had cap space for sale. They don't want him. They already got the value they deserved with picks. No one wants any part of giving up cap space and picks for a waste QB. Just cut him already. Browns are operating under the folly that someone wants Osweiler as a player, he is just cap space now. Just like a NBA player who has effectively retired but his contract is traded as an expiring contract. Except Osweiler contract has no value like in NBA as cap works diff in NFL then NBA.

Why would Browns give up the draft pick value they just acquired for taking Osweiler cap hit to dump that cap hit on someone else whose cap space is more expensive to use since they have less? So is more valuable. Arguably Browns should give up more than the value they got from Texans for the explicit reason is other teams cap space is more valuable as they all have less of it.

If Browns do what the draft value and cap space indicate here then it is just a spinning wheel move or Browns lose more than they got from Texans for reasons mentioned above. Browns thinking is like an asshat right now, why did Browns get Osweiler at all? We all seen what they did. Do they think the rest of the league is stupid.???

This scenario is like watching two different ticket scalpers holding up signs right next to ea other outside Bills stadium: 1 says need tickets, 1 says selling tickets. They both need another sign saying "we are idiots"

Edited by cba fan