Redskins sign Zack Brown

Just saw on twitter:

@Rapsheet Source: The #Redskins have agreed to terms with FA LB Zach Brown, pending a physical. Big-name free agent off the market.

Might have to go LB even earlier in the draft now. Shame, I thought he was a solid player back there.

LB's has turned into finding the right athlete to fit your system. Brown looked like he was that, but he also showed flaws last years. I am not a proponent for over paying LB's. Develop raw talent and then let it walk and repeat. The 'special' ones you pay. Brown is not that.

So we've lost Gilmore, Woods, and now Brown.

Wow, what a great off-season.

What did having those players on the team get us? 7-9. Who cares. The Bills have to deal with a new coach and a new system. If that means losing some "contributors" who don't exactly fit, so be it. Woods had 613 yards, so calm down.

LOLOLOL the sky is falling the sky is falling. Here is a list of transactions so far this year. Looks like we have gained way more than we lost with those three.

Buffalo Bills Transactions - 2017

APRIL DATE TRANSACTION April 3, 2017 Promoted Marlon Kerner to director of player engagement and alumni.
MARCH DATE TRANSACTION March 29, 2017 Waived/failed physical DE Scott Crichton. March 28, 2017 Claimed DE Scott Crichton off waivers from Minnesota. March 20, 2017 Re-signed WR Brandon Tate. March 18, 2017 Agreed to terms with WR Andre Holmes. March 17, 2017 Signed RB Joe Banyard, CB Leonard Johnson and WR Corey Washington. March 14, 2017 Agreed to terms with DE Ryan Davis. March 14, 2017 Agreed to terms with DE Ryan Davis. Signed WR Jeremy Butler. March 12, 2017 Agreed to terms with WR Corey Brown. March 11, 2017 Agreed to terms with LB Lorenzo Alexander on a two-year contract and T Jorday Mills. March 10, 2017 Released S Corey Graham. March 10, 2017 Released S Aaron Williams. Agreed to terms with FB Patrick DiMarco, G Vladimir Ducasse, PK Stephen Hauschka and Ss Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer. March 8, 2017 Agreed to terms with QB Tyrod Taylor, P Colton Schmidt and FB Mike Tolbert. Released WR Marcus Easley. March 7, 2017 Exercised its exclusive rights by tendering offers to RB Mike Gillislee and G Ryan Groy. March 6, 2017 Released TE Gerald Christian, K Dan Carpenter, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, LS Garrison Sanborn and S Phillip Thomas.
FEBRUARY DATE TRANSACTION February 23, 2017 Named Scott Berchtold special assistant and Derek Boyko vice president of communications. February 16, 2017 Agreed to terms with LB Ramon Humber. February 7, 2017 Named Gill Byrd defensive backs coach and Bobby Babich assistant defensive backs coach. February 2, 2017 Named Phil McGeoghan wide receivers coach, John Egorugwu defensive quality control coach, Marc Lubick offensive quality control/assistant quarterbacks coach, Matt Smiley assistant special teams coach and Bill Teerlinck assistant defensive line coach.
JANUARY DATE TRANSACTION January 31, 2017 Announced Bobby April, John Blake, Aaron Kromer, David Lee, D'Anton Lynn, Tim McDonald, Pat Meyer, Chris Palmer, Ed Reed, Eric Smith, Kathryn Smith, Dennis Thurman, Jason Vrable and Jeff Weeks will not be part of the team's coaching staff for the 2017 season. January 27, 2017 Re-signed S Colt Anderson. January 24, 2017 Named David Culley quarterbacks coach. January 20, 2017 Named Andrew Dees assistant offensive line coach. January 19, 2017 Named Rick Dennison offensive coordinator. January 18, 2017 Named Kelly Skipper running backs coach. January 17, 2017 Named Rob Boras tight ends coach. January 14, 2017 Agreed to terms with defensive line coach Mike Waufle. January 14, 2017 Agreed to terms with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, linebackers coach Bob Babich and offensive line/run game coordinator Juan Castillo. January 11, 2017 Named Sean McDermott coach. January 2, 2017 Signed LS Reid Ferguson, CB Charles Gaines, RB Cedric O'Neal, S Joe Powell, LB Max Valles and QB Josh Woodrum to reserve/future contracts.
Edited by xsoldier54

Can't keep everyone. And all of those players were massively overpaid to go elsewhere.

On one hand, you have Bills fans complaining that we are letting guys walk and that's why Doug Whaley sucks.

Then you have other Bills fans who complain we are "mismanaging the cap" and paying certain guys too much money.

Can't keep everyone. And all of those players were massively overpaid to go elsewhere.

On one hand, you have Bills fans complaining that we are letting guys walk and that's why Doug Whaley sucks.

Then you have other Bills fans who complain we are "mismanaging the cap" and paying certain guys too much money.

LMAO! SO.......true!!!

LMAO! SO.......true!!!

Gilmore wasn't overpaid. Spotrac calculated his fair market value at 5 years, $73.3M. He took a 5 year, $65M deal to join the Cheatriots.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/stephon-gilmore-9820/market-value/

I thought Woods was probably overpaid, but Spotrac calculated his FMV to be 4 years, $32.2M. He got 5 years, $34M. It doesn't look like he was overpaid either.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/stephon-gilmore-9820/market-value/

We don't even know what Brown's contract is. Kinda hard to make a call on that until the numbers are in. Spotrac has his FMV at 4 years, $18M. We will see on that.

Edited by BarleyNY

By my count our Bills lost 7/22 starters

Or 32% of our starting lineup

On offense WR #2 and WR #3

Or 18%

On defense, C#1, NC #1, S#1, S#2, ILB #2

Or 46%

The off season changes are bigger and bolder than anything Rex/DW did

So its a big transition year and I'm not even talking about all the depth changes

By my count we've yet to replace either WR, C#1, NC#1

Ragland replaces the lost ILB

And I know some here, including I, not so sure the S situation is any improvement

So I can't agree about the pronouncement that what we signed back is better than we lost

Sure, there still is the draft

However its seems we've lost more starting talent than we brought in

And we have more starting holes to fill than we started with

I think you have to ask yourself, will all these changes, project more wins?

If you think our new lineup is a cinch to win 10 games plus then who cares about not re-signing Brown, etc

However if look like a 6-7 win team its hard to say this has been a good off season

Lots of change folks...

jc

He made a lot of tackles. He also missed too many tackles.

On a lot of teams, the D is designed to have the line occupy the blockers so the LBs make tackles. It's not necessarily remarkable that a LB would do that, or a sign that he's always where he needs to be.

ZB was about as good as the rest of the D, on average. In other words, not good enough to pay a lot for him, which is likely what he thought he'd get.

@rapsheet

#Redskins LB Zach Brown signed a 1-year deal worth a maximum value of $4.65M, source said. $500k signing bonus. Not bad this late in FA.

So nobody would do multiple years for a LB that age? I pictured a 3 or 4yr deal, given the circumstances. Thats a win for Washington since he'll be motivated for another contract next year.

Gilmore is the only real loss out of the three.

Robert Woods was a loss but hopefully recoverable. He never gave up, played hard and blocked when ball was not going in his direction,

@rapsheet

#Redskins LB Zach Brown signed a 1-year deal worth a maximum value of $4.65M, source said. $500k signing bonus. Not bad this late in FA.

To get max value he probably needs to be voted MVP and be hero of Superbowl but the number is a good one agent can brag about. Previous agent predicting $9-10 million should not be working.