McDermott establishing Leadership Council amongst players

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a really good thing. But without knowing who's on it and how it works, who knows?

And regards to Sammy... I can see how he plays and I know what he says to the media. That's it. I have no idea what kind of influence he has on the sidelines, on the practice field, in the weight room or locker room. So I have no idea if he should be on the Leadership Council.

Watkins has made several comments about a lack of leadership under Rex and guys stepping up, including himself. So Sammy has that desire to be more than just a great WR on the field. He truly sounds like he wants this team to win and be a leader in the locker room. I think the injuries have frustrated him but I love his desire to be a leader, if he stays healthy , he's the total package.

And it's well known that Taylor demands the respect of the rest of the offense, many teammates have publicly stated this. These things matter , it takes more than talent to win in this league.

Man, how can you not be impressed by McD so far, I have a Gut feeling he proves to be a steal and a coach for a very long time here...

Watkins has made several comments about a lack of leadership under Rex and guys stepping up, including himself. So Sammy has that desire to be more than just a great WR on the field. He truly sounds like he wants this team to win and be a leader in the locker room. I think the injuries have frustrated him but I love his desire to be a leader, if he stays healthy , he's the total package.

And it's well known that Taylor demands the respect of the rest of the offense, many teammates have publicly stated this. These things matter , it takes more than talent to win in this league.

Man, how can you not be impressed by McD so far, I have a Gut feeling he proves to be a steal and a coach for a very long time here...

I'm very impressed :thumbsup:

This is a good idea. I also don't want to give McDermott more credit than is due just because he is not making the same mistakes as Ryan. Still, I like this.

Re: Watkins, no. I have not seen the maturity necessary to be a leader. Talent =/= leadership. To echo what has been said -- show me.

Taylor? Yes. He has proven in less time than Watkins that he is a leader of men. By example.

Obviously

Listening to Lorax speak right now... he's pretty inspiring and exactly what I would want around young players

McD also mentioned they had a Leadership Council in Carolina

I believe Marrone had one here (if I recall correctly)

As evidenced by their deep playoff run....

Listen, anytime we can get Fitzy to be another teams QB, especially in the division, it's good for the Bills.

So you think Geno was going to throw for more than 3,900 yards and 31 TDs en route to the playoffs? That's more TD's than he's thrown in his entire career.

Under Rex:

• Discipline issues among players (not on time, sleeping, etc.)
  • Lack of work ethic from the head coach
  • Poor execution of the basics -- knowing alignments, getting plays in on time, etc
  • Despite this lack of foundation -- a cocky arrogance
Under McD:

• Player friendly but also player driven
  • Attention to detail
  • Great work ethic from the coaching staff
  • Humility
  • Focus on the fundamentals - coaches prepared, player discipline, blocking and tackling, maximum effort
Give me McD--I like what we are seeing......but all that matters are the W's....

Rex was loved but not respected...Players don't work hard when they don't respect the leader.

"Under McD" Sounds great. How on earth did you dig up so much info on a guy that has coached zero games as a HC?

Besides the obligatory he is well respected in the league? He seems certainly different than the past few bozos. But I will wait until the end of the season too heap unearned praise though.

#passthekoolaid

@buffalobills

Kyle Williams: "McDermott inspired and breathed life into me with his vision. With guys like me who have been around a lot, that's exciting.

C8gL_CNXYAE_WMa.jpg

If he is healthy extend him another year.

So with all those that screwed off this last year, I wonder how many get benched or flat out cut? And I wonder if he is going to put up with Dareus giving half and effort in half the games?

So you think Geno was going to throw for more than 3,900 yards and 31 TDs en route to the playoffs? That's more TD's than he's thrown in his entire career.

LOL, god no. But the JETS not knowing means that they maybe focus or invest a little less in the QB position while he's still on the team. Anything to perpetuate the terribleness that is their current QB situation.

Does the leadership council answer to Whaley or McD, or Pegs?

But really, its a good idea. After hurricane Rex swept through with a storm of goofs, gluttony, unaccountablity, poor planning, poor execution, etc, I think the team is ready for more structure.

At the end of the day, trusting your players judgment is important, but just letting everyone do whatever they want didnt work with this team.

The leadership council will answer to Khaleesi and her 3 Dragons of course....

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I feel like this people who never played organized sports are the ones who think chemistry and culture don't matter, when it actually is essential.

I think Tyrod is one of those quiet lead by example guys. He's first man in every morning for workouts, year round and takes his job seriously. That's what you look for in a captain.

He's definitely a leader by example, but he's not always quiet. I remember one game last season when a lineman was about to get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct - Tyrod got in his face, talked him down, and saved us 15 yards.

The leadership council "chest thump"

Agree enough of the nonsense of the Ryan era

...can see why Pegula hired an image consultant......this is year 55 for me following this club and probably THE two largest PR gaffes I've seen that provided the urinalists with never ending cannon fodder were:

1. Firing of Tom DonoHOLE- after RW realized that his "Inner Circle of Trust" was woefully violated, he summons trusted confidant Marv, "re-tires" him with new Firestones and a bottle of Geritol. Next step was to promote Brandon into positions he had NO business being in. Detroit's winless season took some of the pressure off, but still OBD's patchwork FO was ripe for the mockery.

2. Hiring of Wrecks- Ticketmaster Brandon is guilty as charged and the Pegulas took the bait. For smart people taking that bait is unconscionable. The "Jets East Circus" moved to the shores of Lake Erie as the new "Jets West Circus". Letting this azzclown hire his brother in need of a paycheck made the Pegulas look even worse.The neophyte owners were made to look like "clowns in a a barrel" courtesy of Blowhard Buddy Jr and the "Ticketmaster", hardly an image they wanted to portray.

....I can see an image consultant , a hard nosed HC kid like McCoach as THE voice with Whaley in the background (don't recall Colbert or Teddy Thompson on the interview circuit) , and a more structured, disciplined team as only being positives....show me where this type of approach has existed during the drought and I'll shut the hell up........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

What is this another episode of Survivor? It is pretty easy to tell a true leader of a pack. Williams is definitely an alpha dog who leads by example. If you need a council to define that, you might want to get everyone a participation trophy.

According to many he must be planning with his team of coaches on how to tank next season

...so how is "Tankgate" any different than the whiners about the Patsies multiple "Cheatergate" scandals?....and .those FIVE tainted Lombardis?....think Goodell would not love a $20 million dollar fine for tanking to pad his "401K Plan"?..........

Good! No more changing captains every game because they were born there or have played there before.

I think it is important for players to know who they can rally around when the game is on the line.

Agreed! It's seems like simple, common knowledge......but, I guess it wasn't with Rex.

Agreed! It's seems like simple, common knowledge......but, I guess it wasn't with Rex.

I hated that middle school mentality! Grow up and skip the not-so-subtle digs. It didn't get under the skin of the Big Boys, but may have pissed off a few people. That never helps, and can actually hurt.

Under Rex:

• Discipline issues among players (not on time, sleeping, etc.)
  • Lack of work ethic from the head coach
  • Poor execution of the basics -- knowing alignments, getting plays in on time, etc
  • Despite this lack of foundation -- a cocky arrogance
Under McD:
  • Player friendly but also player driven
  • Attention to detail
  • Great work ethic from the coaching staff
  • Humility
  • Focus on the fundamentals - coaches prepared, player discipline, blocking and tackling, maximum effort
Give me McD--I like what we are seeing......but all that matters are the W's....

Rex was loved but not respected...Players don't work hard when they don't respect the leader.

Agree on the differences between Rex and McD and love it. Regarding Rex....I don't think he was that loved by players or anyone. I always just thought it was built up by media before and during Buffalo without any basis.

I feel like this people who never played organized sports are the ones who think chemistry and culture don't matter, when it actually is essential.

Agreed!

Agree on the differences between Rex and McD and love it. Regarding Rex....I don't think he was that loved by players or anyone. I always just thought it was built up by media before and during Buffalo without any basis.

Agreed!

Rex was "loved" like the baby sitter who let you eat crap, stay up too late and watch things on TV your parents would have nixed. That's not really love.

...can see why Pegula hired an image consultant......this is year 55 for me following this club and probably THE two largest PR gaffes I've seen that provided the urinalists with never ending cannon fodder were:

1. Firing of Tom DonoHOLE- after RW realized that his "Inner Circle of Trust" was woefully violated, he summons trusted confidant Marv, "re-tires" him with new Firestones and a bottle of Geritol. Next step was to promote Brandon into positions he had NO business being in. Detroit's winless season took some of the pressure off, but still OBD's patchwork FO was ripe for the mockery.

2. Hiring of Wrecks- Ticketmaster Brandon is guilty as charged and the Pegulas took the bait. For smart people taking that bait is unconscionable. The "Jets East Circus" moved to the shores of Lake Erie as the new "Jets West Circus". Letting this azzclown hire his brother in need of a paycheck made the Pegulas look even worse.The neophyte owners were made to look like "clowns in a a barrel" courtesy of Blowhard Buddy Jr and the "Ticketmaster", hardly an image they wanted to portray.

....I can see an image consultant , a hard nosed HC kid like McCoach as THE voice with Whaley in the background (don't recall Colbert or Teddy Thompson on the interview circuit) , and a more structured, disciplined team as only being positives....show me where this type of approach has existed during the drought and I'll shut the hell up........

Harsh but solid. i am highlighting my favorite bit.

hardly any proof and nearly all conjecture. But there is a pattern here. and one I like so far. Sean as the Leader is worth a shot for sure.

has some tooth to it i think

What is this another episode of Survivor? It is pretty easy to tell a true leader of a pack. Williams is definitely an alpha dog who leads by example. If you need a council to define that, you might want to get everyone a participation trophy.

It must be rather gratifying to be recognized by the new HC as a strong leader of men. I thinks that pretty cool.

but i am quite bias about KW

...Kirk...Main Bridge...............

Kirk (McD) : "Scottie!! (Hughes ) I am going to need everything you have !! we need warp speed to get out of this decaying orbit . Find a way "

Good! No more changing captains every game because they were born there or have played there before.

I think it is important for players to know who they can rally around when the game is on the line.

All they were really there for was coin toss.

my question there is if we draft or sign a qb and he ends up benched what'll that do for leadership? Changing leadership mid course is difficult and not wise.

I wouldn't mind boldin. But I'd rather have taken crabtree when the last group of these older vet wrs was available and bold in was also on that list.

Other positions are drafted for and players replaced; Tony Romo was leader in Dallas.

Edited by Koolaid