Bills interested in Romo!

KGun12TD

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More agent leaks. ANY team looking to upgrade the position will have an interest in Romo. Glad we are looking to upgrade but it's too bad that TT has to hear this kind of noise just because an agent wants to start playing the leverage game in the media.

Romo's agent or TT's?

Driving up Romo demand may get the Bills to stick with TT.

Edited by FireChan

Romo's agent or TT's?

Driving up Romo demand may get the Bills to stick with TT.

If the Bills really wanted to part ways with Tyrod they probably would have done it already. No reason to keep him hanging on. Can't trade a guy who isn't under contract for next year. Coaches must want him. Probably holding out in case something crazy comes available.

More agent leaks. ANY team looking to upgrade the position will have an interest in Romo. Glad we are looking to upgrade but it's too bad that TT has to hear this kind of noise just because an agent wants to start playing the leverage game in the media.

Hypothetical -

Trade a 3 for romo

Trade tyrod for a 2

Have a higher pick, lower cap hit and less dead money for any future cuts if you find a guy in the near term

Use a high pick (and maybe some of that value gained via trade) to get a rookie of your choosing to replace romo asap

Crazy?

Almost always the agents.

Absolutely. Trying to drive up the market. I have no doubt Whaley made a call. I don't know if that means they are going to go all out to get him.

If the Bills really wanted to part ways with Tyrod they probably would have done it already. No reason to keep him hanging on. Can't trade a guy who isn't under contract for next year. Coaches must want him. Probably holding out in case something crazy comes available.

Well no, you wait till the league year starts just to see what you can get for Taylor if you are indeed moving on.

Hypothetical -

Trade a 3 for romo

Trade tyrod for a 2

Have a higher pick, lower cap hit and less dead money for any future cuts if you find a guy in the near term

Use a high pick (and maybe some of that value gained via trade) to get a rookie of your choosing to replace romo asap

Crazy?

Not crazy. But If we pick up the option on TT and trade him for a 2 how would TT's cap hit affect us?

In the end if you think someone would give you a 2nd round pick for TT then maybe reasses why it is your trading a 27yr old QB entering his prime to begin with?

Absolutely. Trying to drive up the market. I have no doubt Whaley made a call. I don't know if that means they are going to go all out to get him.

Well no, you wait till the league year starts just to see what you can get for Taylor if you are indeed moving on.

A team wont trade you anything for Taylor now bc they know hes a FA if we dont pick up the option. We have zero leverage.

Not crazy. But If we pick up the option on TT and trade him for a 2 how would TT's cap hit affect us?

In the end if you think someone would give you a 2nd round pick for TT then maybe reasses why it is your trading a 27yr old QB entering his prime to begin with?

A team wont trade you anything for Taylor now bc they know hes a FA if we dont pick up the option. We have zero leverage.

You do it before the option is picked up so that acts as the new team handing him a modest signing bonus/guaranteed dollars for the start of this contract. Getting your guy locked in without competition ala osweiler has value

As for the other half-- lots of qbs have moved for premium picks. Some have been worth it but many have not. Just because a team wants him by itself doesn't mean we are losing anything. It would be a bold move that could backfire... or it could get you a guy like romo as a 1 year bridge to a 1st rounder taking over instead of 2-3 years of TT. If he lasts the better part of the season before the rookie steps up you've done fine transitioning - if he lasts the whole season your likely in the playoffs

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Bills have "significant interest" in Tony Romo.

Source: CBS Sports Feb 2 - 3:28 PM

It's my first post and I hope this was done right! Woo hoo.

Link: http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/354126/report-bills-have-significant-romo-interest?ls=roto:DAL:topheadlines

Hell yeah, about time Whaley started reading my posts, now we will start winning, woohoo!!!

I don't know what to think. Romo is the only upgrade on the market IMO. He obviously has some health concerns but he has been a franchise QB for a while.

I also wish it came from ANYONE but La Conjecture. He has less insight into OBD than every single reporter.

coming from lala is a concern.

getting Hoyer as a backup would be ideal.

I will have to redo my sig if we sign him, first three picks all offense.

I see him as Bledsoe Part II. This is the type of bone headed move Rex would be for, therefore NO! :doh:

actually it is not, TT was Rex's bone head move. Romo would finally be a step in the right direction of fixing our QB draught and hopefully we draft a suitable replacement to groom behind him.

we can trade em TT, our starter for their backup sounds fair

I'm looking forward to the draft and seeing what is going to unfold. The first 3 teams, Cleveland, SAN Francisco and Chicago, are all heavily rumored to be taking a QB. Romo should be in high demand for some of these QB needy teams so there is no need for the Bills to overpay, even if they do become a potential suitor. If Cleveland does indeed trade for Garoppolo then hopefully one of the other early teams makes a play for Romo. I would also like to see CarsonPalmer come back for another season so the Cardinals won't feel the urgency so much for his replacement. With all that being said then if the Bills don't want Taylor then releasing him would take another team out of the QB Sweepstakes. I, once again, would be all for the Bills make a play for Cutler as a stop gap so they can have more time to develope Cardale Jones and for them to also draft the best avail QB at the #10 spot without having to over pay and reach for one in this year's draft. From most of the threads on this board it seems like the majority around here definitely don't want Cutler, Romo and Taylor but I don't see how it could not be 1 of those 3. If it's not one of them then what could be an alternative, a big trade for Brees? I don't know who it's going to be but so far none are overwhelming so I'm real curious on how the Bills are going to figure out their QB position.

Romo will be 37 in April

$14M in 2017
$19.5M in 2018
$20.5M in 2019
$54M total contract left , I just don't trust his health
La Canfora wrote. "Romo prefers to be moved to a contending team -- specifically, the Texans, Cardinals, Broncos or Chiefs."
La Canfora said the Bills are also interested in Romo, but a trade with Buffalo "might be a tough sell."
Edited by ALF

Great. Well give up a one and three this year. A two next year. And hell last three games. Sounds like a Billsy move to me.

I'm looking forward to the draft and seeing what is going to unfold. The first 3 teams, Cleveland, SAN Francisco and Chicago, are all heavily rumored to be taking a QB. Romo should be in high demand for some of these QB needy teams so there is no need for the Bills to overpay,

Romo isnt going to a team that is at least three years away. Edited by TANK2

Romo will be 37 in April

$14M in 2017

$19.5M in 2018

$20.5M in 2019

$54M total contract left , I just don't trust his health

La Canfora wrote. "Romo prefers to be moved to a contending team -- specifically, the Texans, Cardinals, Broncos or Chiefs."

La Canfora said the Bills are also interested in Romo, but a trade with Buffalo "might be a tough sell."

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blogs-local/report-arizona-cardinals-among-preferred-teams-for-cowboys-qb-tony-romo

None of that is guaranteed from the Bills.

we can trade em TT, our starter for their backup sounds fair

I assume you are kidding.

Some people probably believe that trading him without picking up the option first is realistic. In order to trade the guy you would have to pick up his option. Because, otherwise he is going to be a free agent. What team would trade for a guy who is about to be a free agent in a month? And once the Bills pick up the option, he instantly becomes untradable for 2-3 years because of dead cap money.

I assume you are kidding.

Some people probably believe that trading him without picking up the option first is realistic. In order to trade the guy you would have to pick up his option. Because, otherwise he is going to be a free agent. What team would trade for a guy who is about to be a free agent in a month? And once the Bills pick up the option, he instantly becomes untradable for 2-3 years because of dead cap money.

The assumption is you trade him AND the option. Which the new team can exercise. Which I think is how it works. Edited by FireChan

The assumption is you trade him AND the option. Which the new team can exercise. Which I think is how it works.

Could very well be. I didn't know the option was tradable.

Can't see Dallas paying a guy that much money as a backup for the next few years though.

At least not when they can ditch Romo after 2017 for a reasonably low cap hit.

If they keep Romo - they are solid at QB for another year even if the starter gets hurt or even if Dak has a horrible sophomore slump.

Edited by PolishDave

If we do it, then we have to go QB early. If we get a healthy Romo, that's amazing. History just doesn't point to that being the case.

He would also have to choose us and I don't see that happening with other teams wanting him as well

yep, 2 broken backs later, you willingly play in an outdoor stadium in the northeast? Just don't see it happening.

Base salaries are what gets traded with a player. Prorated signing bonuses do not.

(Romo's) his prorated signing/restructure bonuses that count for another $10.7 million. (2017) That would stay with the Cowboys after a trade.

What also would stay with the Cowboys are the prorated bonus amounts for 2018 and 2019. Those total an additional $8.9 million.

If the Bills picked up Taylor option then traded him , the Bills would pay the $15.5M option bonus and count against the Bill's cap .

If that happens I don't think Taylor is tradable JMO

March 9 @ 4PM trades can be made

Edited by ALF

Base salaries are what gets traded with a player. Prorated signing bonuses do not.

(Romo's) his prorated signing/restructure bonuses that count for another $10.7 million. That would stay with the Cowboys after a trade.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2016/11/15/dallas-cowboys-total-2017-salary-cap-impact-if-cowboys-trade-tony-romo-in-offseason/

If the Bills picked up Taylor option then traded him , the Bills would pay the $15.5M option bonus and count against the Bill's cap .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000677028/article/important-nfl-dates-for-201617

The option bonus would be seen as the cost of doing business if he were a FA. The new team could pay it essentially as a signing bonus, or totally restructure him out of the gate. The pick would just avoid the bidding against other teams and give some leverage to the team in negotiations (unless you are the bills and McCoy, of course, mentioned for badol)

(Romo's) his prorated signing/restructure bonuses that count for another $10.7 million. (2017) That would stay with the Cowboys after a trade.
What also would stay with the Cowboys are the prorated bonus amounts for 2018 and 2019. Those total an additional $8.9 million.

So they can't trade him between Nov 1 2016 (trade deadline) and March 9th 2017 4PM anyway?

If so, they would have to pick up the option in order to be able to trade him which would make him untradable because of dead cap hit. Yes? No?

Ah. Nevermind. I see the Bills have till March 11th on option. So they could trade him away March 9th or 10th before picking up option.

Edited by PolishDave

So they can't trade him between Nov 1 2016 (trade deadline) and March 9th 2017 4PM anyway?

If so, they would have to pick up the option in order to be able to trade him which would make him untradable because of dead cap hit. Yes? No?

yes , that is my understanding

I see that the Bills have till March 11 on the option. So they have a two day window in which they could trade him before the option would kick in.

Taylor is a FA 9 March @4PM if the option is not exercised before then

If no other team signs him the option kicks in 11 March and he stays here unless the Bills cut him first

I could be wrong and usually am

Edited by ALF