Bills Defense Shines @ Pro Bowl

I would try to keep all three even though Lorax probably doesn't fit this defense well. But he can be a star on ST's again.

Franchise Gilmore.

Make Brown a good offer. He probably will get a better offer elsewhere and will be the hardest to bring back. I would cut P. Brown and use that money to bring back Z. Brown.

My hunch though is that unless they franchise Gilmore, all three will be gone.

I would try to keep all three even though Lorax probably doesn't fit this defense well. But he can be a star on ST's again.

Franchise Gilmore.

Make Brown a good offer. He probably will get a better offer elsewhere and will be the hardest to bring back. I would cut P. Brown and use that money to bring back Z. Brown.

Gotta keep Gilmore. You need good CBs in this league. Don't mess with that ****.

Go figure. Lorax leads tacklers with 7 plus a pick. Z Brown also has 7 and Gilmore gets a pick. For the life of me, outside of Rex being a complete and utter dumbass, this defense should have lead us to the playoffs. We need to retain these guys and build on the D and not screw up the offense.

How was Kyle?

Sure, Whaley can get some good players. But have you seen his press conferences?

Kidding aside, the most underrated signing by Whaley has been Monos.

wonder if Manos takes over for Whaley someday?

Franchise Gilmore.

Gilmore will be the most expensive .. I'd let him go and replace with lower price FA or draft pick. Keep Z Brown , L Brown could be brought back reasonable due to his age. Gilmore will be overpaid in FA and better by another team than by the Bills.

Lets not overreact to a Pro Bowl but I think pretty much everyone could see that Rex's defense was less than the sum of its parts.

I agree we should keep Gilmore. I know he isn't as natural a fit in a team that is going to play more zone but good cornerback play matters. The franchise tag is an option in my opinion.

As for what BB says I can absolutely see the Bills promoting Monos. Say we go 7-9 again this year and the clamour for Whaley's removal reaches fever pitch - I can see Terry and Kim, if they still have faith in him, promoting him into some VP of personnel role and making Monos the day to day GM.

4. Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander (defense) and Kelce (offense) were named the most valuable players of the Pro Bowl following a pair of strong performances. Both players received new cars for their efforts.

"It feels pretty good," Kelce said. "These are the moments to keep making life surreal ... It gives me a little motivation to keep striving to be the best."

Sure, Whaley can get some good players. But have you seen his press conferences?

Kidding aside, the most underrated signing by Whaley has been Monos.

Yes Whaley can get good players as clearly demonstrated by his four year contribution to the playoff drought. Best GM in the NFL.

Enough with the playoffs talk. Ask Bengals fans what getting to playoffs mean if you can't manage to win a game. Forget being a "playoff team". It's pointless just getting to the dance. What's not questionable is that, unlike the prior 17 years, this team has talent. The teams with Fitzy as QB, those teams had questionable NFL talent at best. They were a joke. I didn't think there was enough to win consistently. This team, yeah there's talent on THREE SIDES of the ball. That includes the kicking game. There's enough to win. There is now an evolution to winning, growth happening here. Growth is always painful. But its happening. Winning is coming. Enjoy this process. That's why i'm engaged in the developments of this team again.

Oh yeah. Happy to see all those Bills helmets in that game. Dont forget Ritchie on the O side. Shady and Watkins are good enough talent to start on this side of the ball too don't forget that. Yeah there's talent.

Well, that proves it, Rex's scheme is neanderthal. Unfortunately, everyone of them is a free agent and will probably walk.

Not necessarily. But it proved that neither Rex nor his staff were committed enough to get the players to understand or buy into his system.

Why wouldn't Lorenzo Alexander fit the McDermott defense?

Honest question - interested in that perspective.

Linebacker's are relied upon in coverage, and no one is sure how he'd play on the defensive line. I think he'd be a good depth signing as he seems willing and able to just play wherever you put him. Could be a backup end/SAM though

Linebacker's are relied upon in coverage, and no one is sure how he'd play on the defensive line. I think he'd be a good depth signing as he seems willing and able to just play wherever you put him. Could be a backup end/SAM though

I know it's the pro bowl but he looked like he could drop into zone yesterday no problem

Well huge grain of salt being the Pro Bowl, but a bit ironic that the consensus the past two years has been how complicated Rex's D is and players struggled with it. Now line up in the most simplest D's in a Pro Bowl and our players shine. Granted, the offense they run is just as simplistic.

Good coaching makes a difference.

BINGO!! God I hope McD and his crew can make it work here for once. We could use some good coaching. The talent level is so close in the NFL that good coaching, game planning and game time adjustments are the difference between the playoffs and a top 10 pick. I'm getting tired of top ten picks.

Why wouldn't Lorenzo Alexander fit the McDermott defense?

Honest question - interested in that perspective.

He was interviewed on DC radio this morning. When they asked Lorax about his fantastic season he did say this his skill set fit Rex Ryan's scheme. So if the scheme is drastically different under McDermott I don't know where he stands. I hope they keep him another season.

Edited by zow2

Bills ranked 19th in total defense. Five out of twelve playoff teams ranked below them in total defense in 2016 and still made the playoffs.

Bills - 19th - Taylor

Packers - 22nd - Rodgers

Chiefs - 24th - Smith

Falcons - 25th - Ryan

Raiders - 26th - Carr

Dolphins - 29th - Tannehill

Five Franchise QB's led their team there. TT led the Bills to 7-9. Even if OBD fixes the D, that doesn't mean the Bills will punch their ticket to the playoffs.

TOTAL DEFENSE RANKINGS NON-PLAYOFF TEAMS

Cardinals - 2

Vikings - 3

Broncos - 4

Jaguars -6

Rams - 9

Top 10 D only part of the equation. They need the combination of an improved Defense AND superior play from a FRANCHISE QB. TT has not proven he is THE guy.

Tank and rebuild.

I know it's the pro bowl but he looked like he could drop into zone yesterday no problem

Saw some highlights. He seems to play to the ball. We just used him like 90% as a rush backer. Looks like he can play some SAM for us though. Rush the QB a bit, drop into zones in cover 2 and follow the flat in cover 3. Probably where Preston Brown plays unless they feel like he's fast enough to play will (which he isnt..)

Bills ranked 19th in total defense. Five out of twelve playoff teams ranked below them in total defense in 2016 and still made the playoffs.

Bills - 19th - Taylor

Packers - 22nd - Rodgers

Chiefs - 24th - Smith

Falcons - 25th - Ryan

Raiders - 26th - Carr

Five Franchise QB's led their team there. TT led the Bills to 7-9. Even if OBD fixes the D, that doesn't mean the Bills will punch their ticket to the playoffs.

Cardinals - 2

Vikings - 3

Broncos - 4

Jaguars -6

Rams - 9

Top 10 D only part of the equation. They need the combination of an improved Defense AND superior play from a FRANCHISE QB. TT has not proven he is THE guy.

Tank and rebuild.

As i said in another thread (this one is legit about Defense and you still make it somehow about Tyrod...)

What are you using as a "total defense" ranking?

By DVOA (http://www.footballo...om/info/methods) we were ranked 26th - and only ahead of 1 playoff team in Atlanta (who was ranked 1st on offense). Buffalo was ranked 10th on offense (ahead of several playoff teams - KC, MIA, DET, SEA, NYG, and HOU).

You can find a statistical model to support whatever theory you want. Rather than discuss numbers, the eyeball test showed that our defense was poor last year. It also showed that we had a decent offense built on a very strong running game and a fairly poor passing game. Overall, we scored enough points to be competitive and I believe that with better coaching, this roster can be playoff caliber. A little bit of discipline and accountability may have gotten the 2016 team over the hump. Let's hope the new coaching staff can get us there in 2017.

Edited by msw2112

That is a good question. Another thing to consider isn't the game simplified, which would favor mano y mano defensive play?

Well I think the whole celebrity captains and pro bowl draft thing the last couple of years has made it even more of a joke show...... going back to the AFC v NFC format probably helped a bit but I agree this was better than the last couple of AFC v NFC games before the change.

Tank and rebuild.

Wouldnt have a problem with this but if your gonna do it make Cardale your starter. Remember. Hes a piece of clay. We can mold him into sucking probably moreso than making him good. Everyone runs five yards downfield and turns for the ball on every play. Defenses will sit on that and well be lucky to get ten points a game. Should also be good for a dozen or so pick sixes. Let the tight end run a down and in every so often not to make it look to obvious.

Gilmore will be the most expensive .. I'd let him go and replace with lower price FA or draft pick. Keep Z Brown , L Brown could be brought back reasonable due to his age. Gilmore will be overpaid in FA and better by another team than by the Bills.

It will be interesting to see McD's influence on the Gilmore decision. He saw what happens when you let corner talent walk in Carolina. His scheme is a zone concept primarily, so Gillie might be less valuable here than somewhere else.

BTW, good topic re: Bills' defense performance at Pro Bowl, but it wasn't actually the Bills D...just some of the notable characters. I did like how the defenses were a bit chippy, especially since we didn't have any offensive players risking their careers!

Bills - 19th - Taylor

Packers - 22nd - Rodgers

Chiefs - 24th - Smith

Falcons - 25th - Ryan

Raiders - 26th - Carr

Cardinals - 2

Vikings - 3

Broncos - 4

Jaguars -6

Rams - 9

Tank and rebuild.

this is a simple answer schedule

can turn stats however you want 4 playoff teams we top 10 passing while 6 playoff teams were top 10 in rushing

Packers in the AFC East are done at 4-6

You can find a statistical model to support whatever theory you want. Rather than discuss numbers, the eyeball test showed that our defense was poor last year. It also showed that we had a decent offense built on a very strong running game and a fairly poor passing game. Overall, we scored enough points to be competitive and I believe that with better coaching, this roster can be playoff caliber. A little bit of discipline and accountability may have gotten the 2016 team over the hump. Let's hope the new coaching staff can get us there in 2017.

My take was and is that the problem was Rex. We had the roster, we had the talent, we had the drive and Rex came in and ran a clown camp. His big mouth bs tanked us and he couldn't see the forest through the trees. If Rex had any sense he would have been a head coach first and realized his roster was built for a 4-3. He should have let Schwartz continue to do what he was doing and not let his bravado take over to try to implement an entirely new scheme.

This was our downfall. Rex tinkered with things that were not broke and in the process broke them. He lucked into having A Lynn around to fix the O, but opened the coffin by bringing in his (*^*&%^$^#brother. Rob had already tanked with his last 2 defenses, what made anyone think he could improve ours.

Sadly the window of opportunity slowly closed and it is going to take some incredible coaching, superb drafting and identifying the right free agents to get back on track. 2017 is probably a wash.

Agreed

They aren't a young team by any means and they've lost some talent on defense and look to be losing more if Gilmore, KW, and Brown all go.

We just can not afford to lose talent on D. I want to see what Ragland and Shaq can do, but we still need Z Brown and Lorax. The secondary was weak without AW and it will really topple if Gilmore walks. I say franchise him and get the others signed. Draft a safety early. Draft a WR early and keep TT for now. I think the Jets are going to take D. Watson and it's not worth trading up.