A Faith Based QB for a Faith Based Coach

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

A few months ago I would have thought this was impossible, but it seems a few things have fallen into place that would make a franchise QB uniquely available to the Buffalo Bills.

Yes, that QB is Philip Rivers.

Franchise QB's almost never become available but I think there are a few reasons why the Chargers should and may move Rivers.

1. The team just moved from San Diego to LA after 56 seasons. With the lack of a fan base in LA, and the hearts of the San Diego fans just being ripped out, I can't imagine there is much reason to make sure Rivers retires as a Charger. If they were to stay in San Diego, this would be almost a lock, but I don't see the reasoning now.

2. San Diego is ripe for a rebuild. 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 9-7, 9-7, 4-12, 5-11, those are San Diego's records the last 7 years. They are not winning with Rivers. It would be logical and prudent for an owner and GM in this situation to take the opportunity of the team moving to rebuild. They could move Rivers and acquire players and picks that can be useful in there battle to be the number 1 team in LA. I think trading Rivers now gives them the best opportunity going forward.

3. Philip Rivers seemed genuinely hurt by the team moving. While I don't think he is necessarily looking to move, I think he may be willing to move if the right situation came along.

The Bills would may be the best landing spot if Philip Rivers were to move and if I were the Bills GM I would pursue it.

1. Tyrod Taylor's option does not kick until 3 days after the start of the league year. That gives the Bills a small window to trade Tyrod to a team who may be in a better situation and in more of a rebuilding mode with not as much pressure to win right away.

2. The Chargers just hired Anthony Lynn as their head coach. He was hired primarily because of the success he had this season running the offense for the Bills with a a great running game that included the special talents of Tyrod Taylor. What more of a perfect fit then to send Taylor to Los Angeles. In a city where flashy highlights are almost as important as winning, I think Tyrod would go over well. The Chargers could draft Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette and get right to running the offense that brought Lynn success in Buffalo with one of them and Tyrod.

3. If I am Doug Whaley I offer the Chargers Tyrod Taylor and the 10th overall pick. I would be willing to add a little more to get the deal done, but I think that at if you offer Tyrod and the 10th, they have to listen. Having the 7th and 10th overall pick in the draft would give the Charges a ton of flexibility and could start off the rebuild and move to Los Angeles with a great draft. They could trade down both picks and acquire a stock pile for drafts to come. Or they could possibly trade up to number 1 if they wanted to.

All the teams drafting higher than us in need of a QB will not want Rivers. Their picks are too valuable to trade for Rivers considering were their teams are. The Bills are a little too good to rebuild and no other team will be able to offer as high of a pick for Rivers in this years draft as the Bills.

They would also still have a capable QB that is completely familiar with the HC and offense that may or may not be able to get them into the playoffs.

I know some may think it is risky giving up that much for Rivers but I think he would immediately make us one of the best offenses in the league and give us a 2-3 year window to win the Super Bowl.

If you can get the Chargers to come to terms on a trade, the final piece would to get Rivers to agree to come to Buffalo. Yes it is not likely, but it is not impossible. Philip Rivers is family oriented man. More importantly for us, he is a devout Christian. And it just so happens that our new head coach Sean McDermott is as well. This could be our ace in the hole. Whaley's job is to get the Chargers to agree to a deal in principle. Then we just need McDermott to get in a room with Philip Rivers and hope he can convince him to come to Buffalo.

The power of faith can do amazing things. I am not proclaiming to deeply devout myself but I genuinely think McDermott and Rivers could be a match. Get those two in a room together and maybe a couple hours later they will walk out both thinking God called them to Buffalo to win a Championship. I am totally serious on that one.

Also I really do think the Bills are great fit for Rivers. You have an established top notch running game and potentially one of the best receivers in football. The only QB that is winning in the playoffs right now without a great running game is Aaron Rodgers, and he is playing as good or better than anyone ever has at the position the last 8 weeks or so. Give Rivers Sammy Watkins, LeSean McCoy and the Bills running game, and I will show you a top 5 offense or better.

I also really feel Rivers may love the opportunity to battle Tom Brady twice a year even if if it is just for 2-3 years.

This is Doug Whaley's opportunity to complete the Watkins trade and get him one of the best QB's in the game. He started off his tenure aggressively and he needs to be aggressive now. There is an opportunity to make a move on Rivers and he needs to pursue it. Maybe using McDermott to get Rivers was the angle all along. If so Whaley is a pretty smart guy. Either way I think this an opportunity the Bills can't afford to overlook.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago I would have thought this was impossible, but it seems a few things have fallen into place that would make a franchise QB uniquely available to the Buffalo Bills.

Franchise QB's almost never become available but I think there are a few reasons why the Chargers should and may move Rivers.

1. The team just moved from San Diego to LA after 56 seasons. With the lack of a fan base in LA, and the hearts of the San Diego fans just being ripped out, I can't imagine there is much reason to make sure Rivers retires as a Charger. If they were to stay in San Diego, this would be almost a lock, but I don't see the reasoning now.

2. San Diego is ripe for a rebuild. 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, 9-7, 9-7, 4-12, 5-11, those are San Diego's records the last 7 years. They are not winning with Rivers. It would be logical and prudent for an owner and GM in this situation to take the opportunity of the team moving to rebuild. They could move Rivers and acquire players and picks that can be useful in there battle to be the number 1 team in LA. I think trading Rivers now gives them the best opportunity going forward.

3. Philip Rivers seemed genuinely hurt by the team moving. While I don't think he is necessarily looking to move, I think he may be willing to move if the right situation came along.

The Bills would may be the best landing spot if Philip Rivers were to move and if I were the Bills GM I would pursue it.

1. Tyrod Taylor's option does not kick until 3 days after the start of the league year. That gives the Bills a small window to trade Tyrod to a team who may be in a better situation and in more of a rebuilding mode with not as much pressure to win right away.

2. The Chargers just hired Anthony Lynn as their head coach. He was hired primarily because of the success he had this season running the offense for the Bills with a a great running game that included the special talents of Tyrod Taylor. What more of a perfect fit then to send Taylor to Los Angeles. In a city where flashy highlights are almost as important as winning, I think Tyrod would go over well. The Chargers could draft Dalvin Cook or Leonard Fournette and get right to running the offense that brought Lynn success in Buffalo with one of them and Tyrod.

3. If I am Doug Whaley I offer the Chargers Tyrod Taylor and the 10th overall pick. I would be willing to add a little more to get the deal done, but I think that at if you offer Tyrod and the 10th, they have to listen. Having the 7th and 10th overall pick in the draft would give the Charges a ton of flexibility and could start off the rebuild and move to Los Angeles with a great draft. They could trade down both picks and acquire a stock pile for drafts to come. Or they could possibly trade up to number 1 if they wanted to.

All the teams drafting higher than us in need of a QB will not want Rivers. Their picks are too valuable to trade for Rivers considering were their teams are. The Bills are a little to good to rebuild and no other team will be able to offer as high of a pick for Rivers in this years draft as the Bills.

They would also still have a capable QB that is completely familiar with the HC and offense that may or may not be able to get them to the playoffs.

I know some may think it is risky giving up that much for Rivers but I think he would immediately make us one of the best offenses in the league and give us a 2-3 year window to win the Super Bowl.

If you can get the Chargers to come to terms on a trade, the final piece would to get Rivers to agree to come to Buffalo. Yes it is not likely, but it is not impossible. Philip Rivers is family oriented man. More importantly for us, he is a devout Christian. And it just so happens that our new head coach Sean McDermott is as well. This could be our ace in the hole. Whaley's job is to get the Chargers to agree to a deal in principle. Then we just need McDermott to get in a room with Philip Rivers and hope he can convince him to come to Buffalo.

The power of faith can do amazing things. I am not proclaiming to deeply devout myself but I genuinely think McDermott and Rivers could be a match. Get those two in a room together and maybe a couple hours later they will walk out both thinking God called them to Buffalo to win a Championship. I am totally serious on that one.

Also I really do think the Bills are great fit for Rivers. You have an established top notch running game and potentially one of the best receivers in football. The only QB that is winning in the playoffs right now without a great running game is Aaron Rodgers, and he is playing as good or better than anyone ever has at the position right now. Give Rivers Sammy Watkins, LeSean McCoy and the Bills running game, and I will show you a top 5 or better offense.

I also really feel Rivers may love the opportunity to battle Tom Brady twice a year even if if it is just for 2-3 years.

This is Doug Whaley's opportunity to complete the Watkins trade and get him one of the best QB's in the game. He started off his tenure aggressively and he needs to be aggressive now. There is an opportunity to make a move on Rivers and he needs to pursue it. Maybe using McDermott to get Rivers was the angle all along. If so Whaley is a pretty smart guy. Either way I think this an opportunity the Bills can't afford to overlook.

Rivers will be a Charger for his entire career. Not gonna happen.

All the teams drafting higher than us in need of a QB will not want Rivers. Their picks are too valuable to trade for Rivers considering were their teams are. The Bills are a little too good to rebuild and no other team will be able to offer as high of a pick for Rivers in this years draft as the Bills.

They would also still have a capable QB that is completely familiar with the HC and offense that may or may not be able to get them into the playoffs.

Also I really do think the Bills are great fit for Rivers. You have an established top notch running game and potentially one of the best receivers in football. The only QB that is winning in the playoffs right now without a great running game is Aaron Rodgers, and he is playing as good or better than anyone ever has at the position the last 8 weeks or so. Give Rivers Sammy Watkins, LeSean McCoy and the Bills running game, and I will show you a top 5 offense or better.

I like your train of thought, except I'd offer Tyrod, this year's 2nd and next year's 2nd. Gotta keep my 1st for Corey Davis especially if we acquire Rivers

that would be the second greatest trick the devil ever pulled.

Good Lord

Trade away the best Bills QB since Bledsoe AND a #10 pick for an aging QB who has never regularly played in cold? I pray you never become the Bills GM. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Trade away the best Bills QB since Bledsoe AND a #10 pick for an aging QB who has never regularly played in cold? I pray you never become the Bills GM.

Shouldn't you be telling people who are life long Bills fans to root for another team if they don't like losing? Doug Whaley and the entire Bills staff would be doing back flips if this trade went down

Nick Foles also identifies himself as a Christian. Why not go with him since he has a history working with Andy Reid and has a longer career ahead of him and cost us less to acquire him?

the priest from the church down the street is probably more religious than foles and could be had for $25k/year. worth kicking the tires, methinks.

Edited by Dirtbag

Right, he would move his rather large family (6 kids?) from San Diego to Buffalo. :wallbash:

Please point out a player in the NFL that does not profess to be a devout Christian, because I can't think of any.

Tom Brady is a little cry baby.

I don't know about his religious beliefs. I just know he is a little piece of shiz.

I think that a Scientologist or a Jehovah's Witness (even though they are kind of Christian) would be more interesting. We've heard a lot of QBs thank God but rarely have we heard them denounce Christmas or reference things that happened 76 trillion years ago. That would be so much more interesting.

I think that a Scientologist or a Jehovah's Witness (even though they are kind of Christian) would be more interesting. We've heard a lot of QBs thank God but rarely have we heard them denounce Christmas or reference things that happened 76 trillion years ago. That would be so much more interesting.

You are easily the best poster on TSW. Thank you.

"A devout Christian..." I remember my uncle and I being accosted on a street in Buffalo many decades ago by a guy who said, "Excuse me, sir, are you a Christian?" and my uncle sneering at the street corner evangelist and telling him, "F___ no, we're Catholics."

I consider being a devout Christian to be a serious character red flag. Same for irresponsibly having eight kids. But the biggest reason I would never consider Rivers if I was Whaley is that, in spite of the career-long hype, he is not a top QB, never was, never will be. He's an aging middle of the pack turn over machine with the exquisite ability to screw things up at the worst possible moment.

Romo, Rivers, Foles, Hoyer, Cutler...just some of the lads who've won the fickle hearts of many Bills fans. Must be the winter months are freezing brains left and right back in WNY. Lord have mercy. Get a grip, boys, get a grip.

Edited by yungmack

Chargers have Melvin Gordon. I don't think they need another RB.

Since Rivers is 35 and Tyrod 28, I think the 10th pick is too much to add to this deal. Maybe a 3rd round pick.

Rivers was born in Alabama, went to college in North Carolina and played in San Diego his whole NFL career. it would take some serious convincing for him and his family to move to Buffalo. Probably have to add in a hefty move bonus.

The Bills currently have nowhere near the receiving talent the Chargers have had. Rivers has had Antonio Gates as his safety valve forever along with wide receivers like Keenan Allen and Vincent Jackson. Watkins could be better than any wide receiver Rivers has thrown to but he hasn't proven he can stay healthy.

Philip Rivers contract with the Chargers has $18M of signing bonus prorated over 2017-2019. Trade him, and it accelerates and hits the salary cap in 2017. The Chargers show as having $21M in cap space.

Not gonna happen.

Nick Foles also identifies himself as a Christian. Why not go with him since he has a history working with Andy Reid and has a longer career ahead of him and cost us less to acquire him?

If we must have a Christian QB we can just pick up Taylor's option as he is a Christian. And so, apparently, are the overwhelming majority of the QB in the league. This is really just a non-starter as a reason to acquire a QB.

But of the QB who are likely to be available, Nick Foles actually interests me the most.

He signed an extension and he is building a brand new house in San Diego for his family. Rivers doesn't even know we exist. I can't believe how delusional some people are.

I hope they have some extra bedrooms! Place must be like a hotel considering present and future needs. Good for him!!!! I love it when guys are in a position to call their shots and enjoy their lives and families. (If he were a Bill I'd have mixed emotions.)

I appreciate the effort on the original post and the effort thinking through scenarios. I just wish Rivers was a little younger because I fear it will take a few more years to get our act together just when his age catches up with him and we will be spending resources that will delay the work we need to do to become a playoff team.