SVP of Communications Scott Berchtold should be accountable

HailMary

Let me start by saying Doug Whaley behind a podium on a good day with good news is terrible. Whaley has needed media training from Day 1. The recent media disasters and confusing messaging with Lynn and Whaley start with the mishandling by the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold should be held accountable. Any savvy experienced media relations pro would have identified the risks with both pressers and planned a strategy with prepared statements delivering succinct transparent messaging with clarity on Tyrod and Rex situations especially given Whaley's media experience. Whaley had the perfect opportunity to come clean on both situations and take charge. Well thought out scripted statements with honesty and clarity would have improved the Bills position and credibility. Instead they put Lynn in the line of fire and Whaley delivered a presser that was a national disaster raising red flags with any potential coach not to mention upcoming free agents. The presser was so bad the Bills had to go into "damage control" with an exclusive Pegula article by John Wawrow, all likely set up by Berchtold. Why didn't they set the record straight before the Whaley and Lynn pressers. While the damage is done more questions should be asked about the role of the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold in this mess.

Edited by tannins

Of all the crazy "accountably" threads, this one might actually make the MOST sense. You're not wrong on the job responsibilities...

Let's at least hope there's footage of him behind the curtain, just off-stage, cringing as Whaley muddled through that presser.

Of all the crazy "accountably" threads, this one might actually make the MOST sense. You're not wrong on the job responsibilities...

Let's at least hope there's footage of him behind the curtain, just off-stage, cringing as Whaley muddled through that presser.

There was an article in 2014 by Tim Graham claiming conflict between Whaley, Marrone, and the "lifers" (not a compliment) including Carpenter, Littman, Overdorf, and Berchtold. The jist of the piece was that "Marrone and Whaley -- unusual young guns compared to the Tom Modraks, Dick Jaurons and Chan Gaileys the Bills have hired in the past -- want to fix the team's this-is-the-way-we've-always-done-it culture" and were struggling to effect change.

The article said that "Berchtold is responsible for helping Marrone and Whaley deal with the media. Bills coaches refer to Berchtold as the team's "sports information director," a term colleges use for their flacks. Berchtold doesn't like that."

If that's true, there's more likely footage of Berchtold behind the curtain, cackling and chortling and rubbing his hands as Whaley struggled.

Let me start by saying Doug Whaley behind a podium on a good day with good news is terrible. Whaley has needed media training from Day 1. The recent media disasters and confusing messaging with Lynn and Whaley start with the mishandling by the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold should be held accountable. And savvy experienced media relations pro would have identified the risks with both pressers and planned a strategy with prepared statements delivering succinct transparent messaging with clarity on Tyrod and Rex situations especially given Whaley's media experience. Whaley had the perfect opportunity to come clean on both situations and take charge. Well thought out scripted statements with honesty and clarity would have improved the Bills position and credibility. Instead they put Lynn in the line of fire and Whaley delivered a presser that was a national disaster raising red flags with any potential coach not to mention upcoming free agents. The presser was so bad the Bills had to go into "damage control" with an exclusive article by John Harrow, all likely set up by Bertchold. Why didn't they set the record straight before the Whaley and Lynn pressers. While the damage is done more questions should be asked about the role of the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold in this mess.

The seeds for this mess were sown long ago. For too long and Bills have given a local media nothing in the way of scoops, info, etc. That, in turn, has given rise to a toxic relationship between the bills and the local media in which most of the locals are unafraid to bite the bills' proverbial "hand" because it doesn't "feed" them. The last two pressers have been outrageous. The questioning would have been far less confrontational had some of these guys had something to lose from the bills. Notice that sal c. has gone soft on the bills. Why, you ask? Because he doesn't want to disrupt the flow of information from Kim pegula. Perhaps it's a similar story with carucci - no hostility there because he can't alienate his sources.

It's crazy that a billion dollar organization can have its figureheads so unprepared to face the media.

It seems like they aren't even prepped on what question to anticipate and how to answer. Another OBD lifer leading the way.

Not defending berchtold here. I have no idea what type of prep was done. But perhaps trying to school Whaley on media presence is like trying to teach a chicken about gravity. It just isn't going to work.

"Whaley was evasive during a contentious 38-minute session where he refused to admit to knowing the details of most anything related to Rex Ryan's firing. The Buffalo media and Whaley drilled down on this topic for a long time without getting anywhere, something you simply don't see very often.

Whaley, who also reportedly did not see eye-to-eye with previous head coach Doug Marrone, did not take responsibility or even address if he approved of Ryan's departure. At one point, a reporter said to Whaley: "I'm trying to figure out what you do for a living despite your job title."

It's clear Whaley is not comfortable with the media. That's not the end of the world. But the image that Whaley and the Bills presented was one of a muddled power structure and shaky communication. That's not an ideal image to give off in a competitive job market, especially with Whaley leading the job search."

Gregg Rosenthal

Around The NFL Editor

Not to turn this into another Brandon thread, but as team president shouldn't he also be concerned with tarnishing the "brand image" by sending Lynn and Whaley out as unprepared as can be? In turn, the Whaley press conference became an embarrassment in sports circles around the country.

Let me start by saying Doug Whaley behind a podium on a good day with good news is terrible. Whaley has needed media training from Day 1. The recent media disasters and confusing messaging with Lynn and Whaley start with the mishandling by the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold should be held accountable. And savvy experienced media relations pro would have identified the risks with both pressers and planned a strategy with prepared statements delivering succinct transparent messaging with clarity on Tyrod and Rex situations especially given Whaley's media experience. Whaley had the perfect opportunity to come clean on both situations and take charge. Well thought out scripted statements with honesty and clarity would have improved the Bills position and credibility. Instead they put Lynn in the line of fire and Whaley delivered a presser that was a national disaster raising red flags with any potential coach not to mention upcoming free agents. The presser was so bad the Bills had to go into "damage control" with an exclusive article by John Harrow, all likely set up by Bertchold. Why didn't they set the record straight before the Whaley and Lynn pressers. While the damage is done more questions should be asked about the role of the Bills communication team and SVP Scott Berchtold in this mess.

I only disagree with the insinuation that the damage control interview by Pegula being set up by Berchtold was a bad thing. Whaley and Pegula pretty much conveyed the same things, but Whaley was ill-prepared and/or ill-equipped to deal with the media onslaught and Pegula didn't have to deal with it.

In the last 3 seasons, he has fielded the 4th ranked defense, #1 ranked special teams and 7th ranked offense. He knows how to build a solid team, unfortunately, Rex tore down the 4th ranked defense before we could pair it with the 7th ranked offense. Those rankings get you in the playoffs more often than not.

??????

The thing to remember is that the Buffalo media is filled with hacks. A few are really good, but most are hacks. They are interested in grinding their ax, not reporting or finding out relevant information. That press conference was crazy - all these idiot "reporters" trying to trap whaley into sounding stupid rather than finding actual valuable information. To me it sounded like the reporters already had their narrative, and were just trying to find quotes to fill out their story. Unprofessional.

He is TERRIBLE at his job. Like, Mike McLintock from Veep terrible. It amazes me that he still has his job after all these years of sucking at it.

That's a hilariously accurate reference.

There has been plenty to critique over the last few weeks. His inability to get his public messengers on the same page is at the top of the list.

Thought he did a good job. Gave nothing to the media. The way it should be

holy cow, Mead! This is not how he came off. BB "gives nothing". Parcels "gave nothing" (except disdain and abuse to his questioners).

Whaley came off as either clueless or (at best) deceptive.

The thing to remember is that the Buffalo media is filled with hacks. A few are really good, but most are hacks. They are interested in grinding their ax, not reporting or finding out relevant information. That press conference was crazy - all these idiot "reporters" trying to trap whaley into sounding stupid rather than finding actual valuable information. To me it sounded like the reporters already had their narrative, and were just trying to find quotes to fill out their story. Unprofessional.

I disagree that it's just the Buffalo media, but I agree that much of the media sucks. Sharks looking for blood and attacking at the first scent.

In another post I linked to a Pro Football Talk article trying to kill the Cowboys for late Xmas deliveries. Football news, right?

Did you see where a reporter suggested to the OWNER that he should fire himself in SF?

holy cow, Mead! This is not how he came off. BB "gives nothing". Parcels "gave nothing" (except disdain and abuse to his questioners).

Whaley came off as either clueless or (at best) deceptive.

I though he was incapable of delivering the message that Pegula ended up delivering afterwards...and that's whether you believe the message they wanted to deliver or not.

Edited by LI_Bills

I don't think they had to trap him. He made his own bed.

Hilly Clinton just lost an election to Homer Simpson b/c everything she says is scripted, with no honesty.

But if your main point is to fire Scott Berchtold too, I'm on board.

Let the inferno be complete in its scope and let the flames do the cleansing.

Berctold shoould have been let go 20 years ago. He's an arrogant hack who belongs in a juior high school only so that kids would laugh at him. He's not good with people skills and isn't that the foundation of his job? He's a joke. Is he responsible for this organization being a fool? Yes in many instances. FIRE HIM.

One person of mild manner that has to deal with him implied to me that he's getting a little b*tchy in his old age now too. :lol:

I have heard A LOT of negative in recent years about a guy who shouldn't even be noticed.

That's a hilariously accurate reference.

There has been plenty to critique over the last few weeks. His inability to get his public messengers on the same page is at the top of the list.

I see a potential job opening for TBC.

Going to have to give up The Lakeshore Athletic Club lifestyle for a condo in Hamburg but you'll be able to agitate Jerry Sullivan and Tim Graham for a living so probably a toss-up to you. :thumbsup:

It's crazy that a billion dollar organization can have its figureheads so unprepared to face the media.

It seems like they aren't even prepped on what question to anticipate and how to answer. Another OBD lifer leading the way.

What does money have to do with it? Money doesn't make you smart

Actually, as professionals the Buffalo media were doing their job trying to "fill in the story" and asked fair objective questions. Vic Carucci claimed he has never received so many calls from national media following the presser so clearly this situation was way beyond local media.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/nfl/bills/adam-benigni-and-vic-carucci-discuss-the-doug-whaley-news-conference-the-bills-coaching-search-and-tyrod-taylor-/381709838

What does money have to do with it? Money doesn't make you smart

The point is that this is a very valuable business that should have a level of sophistication and representation consistent with that value. The pc demonstrated that at least one of these two things is true: Whaley was woefully unprepared; and/or Whaley is inept. Neither of those things are acceptable for an operation of this magnitude.

Actually, as professionals the Buffalo media were doing their job trying to "fill in the story" and asked fair objective questions. Vic Carucci claimed he has never received so many calls from national media following the presser so clearly this situation was way beyond local media.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/nfl/bills/adam-benigni-and-vic-carucci-discuss-the-doug-whaley-news-conference-the-bills-coaching-search-and-tyrod-taylor-/381709838

And that explains why the national take is exactly the same as the Buffalo News take.

Berchtold clearly should have had Whaley better prepared for his presser.

Whaley violated some basic fundamentals: Know your talking points; hit your talking points clearly and decisively; don't let questions hijack your agenda.

Large companies have PR professionals to make sure the messaging is always positive. Whaley's fumbling at a preplanned event did not help the franchise's reputation. What went wrong?

I think the OP is probably right in saying Berchtold should be held accountable.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The quality of the Buffalo media is irrelevant. This is an entertainment industry and the fact is the Media is a huge part of that. The national media is always going to lean on the takeaways/opinions of the local media, because rightly or wrongly there is an expectation that they are closer to the story, and therefore have a better handle on it. So with that being said, the Bills have a responsibility of controlling the narrative of the local media. It's Berchtold and the Buffalo Bills job to know what the narrative and talking points are going to be in these press conferences and control them. None of the questions should have been a surprise. Whaley should not have had to think about his answers. Good organizations, business, etc. make unscripted press conferences or meetings seem scripted.

The Buffalo Media may be hacks or whatever you feel they are, but they are not falsifying anything the Bills have said, and the simple fact is the narrative on a national level is the Bills lack competency, organizational structure, and a cohesive plan. This offseason has led to reputation damage that will hurt the Bills from a football perspective, and ultimately from a business perspective. If you don't believe this, you are in denial. They have a lot of work to do to fix this, and from what I've seen the people in the building aren't capable of doing so. They need the NFL equivalent of a turnaround consultant.

Edited by Zac

Do you work for the Bills? You posted the exact same comment on another post...hmmmmmm.