A Rex Apologist Says Enough

I will preface this: I like Rex Ryan. He seems to be a wonderful man to grab a beer with. I enjoy the spirit and enthusiasm to which he brings press conferences. I think that his antics take pressure off players and onto him. This is in no way an indictment of his personal character, or political affiliation, or his media savvy,

But Jesus Christ on a ham sandwich, this is a nightmare.

It is hard to tear down the coach with the best win/loss record since Wade Phillips, but this Dolphins game was enough for me. If you want to rag on Lynn for the idiotic choice to run that Reggie Bush reverse, I feel you. But so much of this game was decided early.

The tackling. The tackling was terrible. A few broken ones are to be expected, especially when talented players are involved. Gronk is special. Shady is special. Bell is special. But what we say today was a fundamental, top down, bottom up failure on pretty much every level.

When your OC gets close to 300 yards rushing, say what you will about Taylor's viability long term, Lynn long term, but they are not the over-riding problem today. The defense today showed fundamentally poor tackling technique. They have, over the course of two seasons, been poorer than 2014. We are moving backwards, even as we have improved on offense.

I'm sorry. I feel dirty saying this, but Rex is not the answer on defense. Screw injuries. Lawson being injured was replaced with LorAx having a Pro Bowl season. Ragland going down has been filled by Zach Brown, who has very solid. That doesn't change a top 5 defense going to the bottom half.

Jesus, blow it up.

Agreed. I have been on the fence with Rex. I even voted to keep rex bc i expected a redeeming effort vs the Fins. Not only did he not redeem himself, this might have been the worst defensive performance of the season. With the season on the line this is how our D plays? Im sorry. I like Rex, but he has to go. Monday. Fired. Bye.

Agreed. I have been on the fence with Rex. I even voted to keep rex bc i expected a redeeming effort vs the Fins. Not only did he not redeem himself, this might have been the worst defensive performance of the season. With the season on the line this is how our D plays? Im sorry. I like Rex, but he has to go. Monday. Fired. Bye.

I was on the fence as well. The punt in OT when the offense had their best game all year and the defense arguably their worst was enough for me.

Seriously WTF!?!

Apparently the Bills only had 10 guys on the field on The long OT run.

He runs the most disorganised team in the NFL. And his defenses !@#$ing blow.

Goodbye Rex.

Yeah, this is "sorry not sorry" territory.

That is such an obvious organizational and discipline based mistake. And Iike "player coach" people. I see the benefit.

But at that moment, in that situation, that is an absolute failing.

Not blitzing on the first 2 plays of the dolphins game tying drive sealed it for me. Moore luckily under threw a wide open WR on 1st down. Then Moore had all day to throw again on 2nd down and completed a 15 yard pass basically putting them in field goal range. Moron Rex then decides to bring pressure and Moore did nothing the next 2 plays. Rex not detailed enough to win in today's NFL where a couple plays or mistakes in Rex's case decide games.

Yeah, this is "sorry not sorry" territory.

That is such an obvious organizational and discipline based mistake. And Iike "player coach" people. I see the benefit.

But at that moment, in that situation, that is an absolute failing.

Important to note; Rex has the highest number of assistants in the league, and three guys call plays on defense (Rex, Rob, and Thurman).

None of these guys noticed the Bills had only 10 guys on defense, on a first down, in OT.

I agree with the overall all premise of the OP that Rex is a good dude. I'll go even farther. I think he could be a decent or better winning head coach. The problem with Rex is that he is a baaaaaaaaaadddddddddddd defensive coach. Time has passed him by and he has shown no ability to adjust. If it is true that the long OT run came against 10 disorganized players it is just one example in a long list.

His defense does not work in the NFL.

I honestly....and oddly......think if he could simply let go....completely let go of the defense to someone with a decent defensive scheme........he could be a winning head coach. I just don't think he can do it and I don't think it is incumbent on the Pegulas to let him try. I wish he could. I really really do.

I really don't see the case to keep him. If the Pegulas do decide to keep him around, I would be very curious to hear why they have any optimism that things will improve in year 3. In year 2, the defense is even worse than last year. I can't see anything that Rex brings to the table.

@MichaelDavSmith

Most rush yards in a game this year: 236 Le'Veon Bell vs Bills 214 Jay Ajayi vs Bills 206 Jay Ajayi vs Bills 204 Jay Ajayi vs Steelers

Thank you for providing the numbers.

I am sorry, but that is indefensible. (Pun originally unintended, but it totally works)

That is abysmal.

Again, say what you will about the long term viability of TT at QB or Lynn at OC, but when you have three separate games of allowing one player to pick up 200+ yards rushing, looking at it blind you would say "Fire the DC. Immediately."

When you hang your hat on defense, that is more than abysmal. That is team killing.

The ONLY reason to hire or keep Rex Ryan is to get an exotic, attacking defense that puts tremendous pressure on the quarterback from never knowing where the pressure is coming from. That's inarguably the only reason to have him. And he rarely did it the entire season. We were never an attacking defense, we never brought a lot of bltizes, we never got consistent pressure, we confused ourselves much more than we confused our opponents.

There is zero reason to keep Rex.

The ONLY reason to hire or keep Rex Ryan is to get an exotic, attacking defense that puts tremendous pressure on the quarterback from never knowing where the pressure is coming from. That's inarguably the only reason to have him. And he rarely did it the entire season. We were never an attacking defense, we never brought a lot of bltizes, we never got consistent pressure, we confused ourselves much more than we confused our opponents.

There is zero reason to keep Rex.

True.

You could argue that was the signature of Rex in NY. That he would send the house, that he would cook up blitzes that seemed unimaginable.

And then I cut to Week 2 against the Jets. I am watching that game and I am screaming at the TV "send a blitz up the middle! Up the middle! UP THE MIDDLE!!!!"

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

I like Rex, I wish he was successful.

Fact is, the defense is losing us games, and the defense is his baby. It was better with much of the same squad before he got here. He needs to go, unfortunately.

Hopefully we can keep the offense going, when he goes. Because if we get a new HC that fixes the defense, and our offense falls apart, I'm going to kick puppies.

True.

You could argue that was the signature of Rex in NY. That he would send the house, that he would cook up blitzes that seemed unimaginable.

And then I cut to Week 2 against the Jets. I am watching that game and I am screaming at the TV "send a blitz up the middle! Up the middle! UP THE MIDDLE!!!!"

There were more than a couple plays today where we had 3-4 guys at the line, the linebackers were five yards back AND the DBs were playing way off the receivers. There is zero reason for that. That is letting them do whatever they want.

Important to note; Rex has the highest number of assistants in the league, and three guys call plays on defense (Rex, Rob, and Thurman).

None of these guys noticed the Bills had only 10 guys on defense, on a first down, in OT.

This, right here! How do the coaches not know their starting CB is in concussion protocol? This fits in with all the times we see players running off and on the field on defense at the last second. They practice various situations all week. There is no excuse for this type of dis-organization. It's ridiculous.

I too was on the fence about Rex Ryan.

After today, not anymore.

Another 200 yard rushing day against our defense?!

As awful as the defense was today, they did make a stand in the 2nd half when they needed too, and the Bills offense came back and gave us the lead late in the 4th.

That said, we had the ball 1st & 10 on the Dolphins 17 yard line in OT. What in God's name made anybody think that Reggie Bush play was going to work? That is the play that killed us.

Not only that, later in OT, why didn't we go for it on 4th Down & 3!? What other choice did we have?! There was only 4:00 left on the game clock!

Tyrod Taylor stepped up in the 2nd half and he would have been a hero today. But the coaches prevented that from happening.

I've seen enough. Had the Bills won out the rest of the way, I would have been more willing to give Rex another year. A playoffs or you're out of here season.

Not anymore. Our defense was a strength when Ryan got here. Now, it is a joke.

He's a fraud. Him and Russ should go sell used cars somewhere. They'd make a killing. Football on the other hand...

He checked out a while ago. Barely any emotion on the sideline, at least compared to how he used to be.

A shame really. He spoiled what could have been a pretty good team.

Doesn't Pegula have 12 million reasons to keep him? Or am I mistaken that his contract is guaranteed?

His contract is guaranteed and they would pay him 15 million. But they really don't care about that at all. Some people will (wrongly) say that 15 mil is 15 mil and everyone cares but that's not true. The Pegulas want to win. They paid 400 million more than they had to pay for the team, just to end it. They still have 4 billion and more oil fields. Money will be no factor at all in their decision.

I am done with Rex too. I didn't think I was but today sealed it. The offense was so damned good and it all got spoiled by Rex's D and our sad Special teams. I hope there is continuity on the offense though for next year somehow.

Edited by 34-78-83