PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention RE: Lynn, we and the rest of the league have never actually seen what his offense is. No idea on philosophy (though his background suggests a ground based attack), route combinations, nothing.

There's an element of being intrigued by Anthony Lynn and who he really is. I think he's been a positive this year. A few poor in-game/strategy decisions but that's part of the learning curve.

The catch-22 - I want him to stay, just not as HC. I'm happy for the Bills offense to be his muse for a couple more years though. Even to the point where I'd relent on objection to Tyrod's option.

There's an element of being intrigued by Anthony Lynn and who he really is. I think he's been a positive this year. A few poor in-game/strategy decisions but that's part of the learning curve.

The catch-22 - I want him to stay, just not as HC. I'm happy for the Bills offense to be his muse for a couple more years though. Even to the point where I'd relent on objection to Tyrod's option.

I'm at the point where, to me, Tyrod's future in Buffalo is almost entirely dependent on what Lynn does and what his opinion is of Tyrod.

What is the point. Whoever they hire this organization will f*ck it up again just like they have f*cked the coaching hires up for the past 17 years. I can't believe I am saying this but we might as well just roll with Rex next year.

One thing that stuck out to me about that article. It said the Pegulas have been in contact with Coughlin since this past summer. If that is true, that is pretty underhanded by the Pegulas. Nothing like selling out your head coach before the season even starts.

What is the point. Whoever they hire this organization will f*ck it up again just like they have f*cked the coaching hires up for the past 17 years. I can't believe I am saying this but we might as well just roll with Rex next year.

One thing that stuck out to me about that article. It said the Pegulas have been in contact with Coughlin since this past summer. If that is true, that is pretty underhanded by the Pegulas. Nothing like selling out your head coach before the season even starts.

One thing the Pegulas have proven owning 2 sports franchises is that they have no clue what they are doing.

I'm at the point where, to me, Tyrod's future in Buffalo is almost entirely dependent on what Lynn does and what his opinion is of Tyrod.

It's difficult to like it as a fan but this is one of the situations where the guys inside the building know everything and we know nothing. Only Lynn and those around him know his plans for the scheme.

His track record speaks for itself. My only concern with ANY new coach is that it's been shown to take 3 years to get the personnel to run the kind of team the new coach(es) want to run. That would make 2 decades and running of no payoffs..

Well, not true of Coughlin's replacement though.or Dirk Koetter for that matter.

I don't think a new coach needs three years to win. The Bills aren't a Chip Kelly apocalypse of odd-fitting personnel.

I don't like Coughlin for head coach. Much like Ryan, I don't think his on-field strategy and approach evolved as the game evolved.

Further, IMO, he is on a mission to prove the Giants wrong and show the world that his system can still win. Much like our current coach.

As they say, you should never make a decision when you're angry.

i would be so pissed if this happens. he's too old, i am sorry, he will be retired in a few years and we are back at square one. I want one more year for Rex to prove himself(I think 2 years is ridiculously short), if after year 3 we are no better off(which I honestly think we are right now) then we cut bait. But HELL NO to an old re-tread.

70 is the new 60.

...unless they are talking to him about a position other than HC.

Why not make him czar/consultant, and get his full take on both Rex and Whaley. If Coughlin puts his stamp of approval on Whaley, let Whaley hire the next HC if he wants a different guy. At that point, if Whaley's HC choice flames out, then you clean house.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

This would make some sense if they moved on from Rex, and I have on more than 1 occasion said Coughlin would be someone on my short list.

That being said, Coughlin is not the most exciting pick, but there are things to like over a retread failed HC who is currently some assistant or coordinator, or even one that has never been a HC. In fact, there are some reasons I think that make him stand out as attractive to the owners and front office...and probably Bills fans too.

1. He has 2 Super Bowl wins with teams that were not bursting with talent in those 2 Giants teams. Yes they were good teams, not denying that, but they were not seem as being rich in talent as some other teams.

2. Both SB wins came against the Pats, and both times the Pats were viewed as the best team, including the one year they were undefeated in the Reg season and ripped through the NFL at a record pace. Him knowing how to beat the Pats on the biggest stage when no one else could is going to make already make him a favorite as the Pats are still the class of the division.

3. He is known for discipline, something that has long plagued the Bills teams even before Rex. We got plenty of knuckleheads on this team like Dareus and Hughes can be.

4. He seemed to get the most out of a solid, but not great QB. Eli is no scrub, but lets be honest, most of his career outside the 2 SB year playoff runs have been marred with inconsistency.

Edited by Alphadawg7

even if we finish 9-7 and make the playoffs?

Playoffs? seriously. It will take a miracle on top of a lot of luck to get us in.

If I had to bet now, I think they keep Rex and hire Coughlin into another role. I do think he's coming aboard. I'm not convinced they are firing Rex yet, though.

I am tending to agree with this statement. I am not convinced that they have decided to give Rex the ax. I think if the games go well and they finish 9-7 I think they give him another year even though we will still miss the playoffs. If we loose both games, I think they let him go. No matter what happens, I don't see Coughlin coming to Buffalo.

Question for all the "too old" people. What health problems do you know he has? If not then what's the problem? People can live well past 70 these days.

I think you are confusing age and health. One is not dependent on the other. I think the concern from the "he's too old people" is that he is 70, 71 when the season starts and that he is at the age that most people are contemplating retirement. I for one, don't want someone coming in and if by chance builds a winning program after 2 or 3 years, then have to find another replacement because he's decided that he wants to retire.

Edited by BigPappy

Maybe the Pegulas are hiring him as president of the football operation.

A guy experienced enough to keep Brandon away from football meetings, as an evaluator to Whaley's job and to give Rex Ryan some perspective on his future in this league as a coach.

Rex might want to listen to someone that won 2 superbowls against his greatest nemesis. Rex will be back next year but with the friendly reminder that he needs to be more flexible with the defense and open to bring an experienced DC, like Bradley, so he can solely focus on the HC duties.

Come in, 3 years to win.

This team has the talent to get it done. The Bills could have easily beaten: Baltimore, Miami, Seattle, Oakland, this season but they gave no spine to make the critical play. Often that's leadership or lack there of! Maybe a new tougher coach could draw that out in the team. If this team was awful they wouldn't finish 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 every darn season. Crap teams are 3-13,4-12

Edited by KRT88

His track record speaks for itself. My only concern with ANY new coach is that it's been shown to take 3 years to get the personnel to run the kind of team the new coach(es) want to run. That would make 2 decades and running of no payoffs..

Huh? Even Tomlin, Jay Gruden, Dirk Keotter, O'Brien, Arians.....heck even Bellichick

How about we try that with our current coach?

The Jets did that for us. Doug Pegula picked him anyway...

I have always thought that NFL coaching is to some extent a young man's game. I thought part of Chan Gailey's problem was just lack of stamina to put as much into each week's game plan.

But maybe I'm wrong.

71-year old head coach? Might as well bring back Marv.

Isn't marv like 91. Come on

Just to let people know that think Coughlin is some sort of hard ass but in reality it has translated into some very undisciplined teams in NY. If things don't go well early on, his style is known to create mutiny in the locker room also.

For instance name some?