PFW: Tom Coughlin the favorite to replace Rex Ryan

FluffHead

Although I don't think Coughlin is a bad choice, I think there are better choices. This news piece is just folks looking at what happened this year and putting 2 and 2 together and getting 8.

I hope we look at some good offensive coaches including Sean Payton who apparently can be had in a trade for picks.

I also think Jim Schwartz would do well in Buffalo. They're made for each other.

C

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This feels like when the Dolphins brought in Parcells. Big name, great deeds in the past. Unfortunately, Parcells only set the Dolphins back and I expect a Coughlin stint at the end of his career would be similar. Better to draft a QB and bring in a younger guy like David Shaw if the Pegulas want to change horses.

I would be okay with Coughlin as a bridge for a few years to finding a highly qualified eventual successor.

Let's face it, between Wade Phillips who the last Bills HC to make the playoffs in 1999. The Bills have had Greg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Perry Fewell, Chan Gailey, Doug Marrone and now Rex Ryan. Seven head coaches in the last seventeen years and they all have sucked in one way or another.

Also, In that time the Bills and since GM John Butler the Bills have had Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix and now Doug Whaley as GM's.

Come to think of it I'd rather hire Wade Phillps as HC as he is 69 and find a team president of football operations who can fix the trainers, doctors and find this team it's franchise QB!

If the reports are true that the Pegulas want to bring in Coughlin as HC and leave all the other front office personnel as is, it just proves that the Pegulas have the brains of a casual football fan and the franchise is doomed like we were with Ralph Wilson.

I agree. I don't think I'd want to see him on the sidelines in game, but I find the idea of using him in the senior position re football ops quite interesting. The Bills are I think lucky to have the ownership now that they do, but the Pegs are not experienced in this business and must be perplexed by all of the infighting going on between the FO and coaching and maybe wondering where the problems really are. Best way to manage that is to have an experienced hand directing both the FO and the coaching (and other aspects of football ops, such as, notably, scouting) and giving the owners their views, reasons and recommendations.

Plus TC has family (kids and grandkids in the area) and would likely be at home in Buffalo.

Edited by starrymessenger

If I had to bet now, I think they keep Rex and hire Coughlin into another role. I do think he's coming aboard. I'm not convinced they are firing Rex yet, though.

I can see that honestly , if Coughlin is to be involved at all. Working the the structure of the Organization from game day backwards to Pegulas.

build a better foundation perhaps?

Not that I am sold on Coughlin. But if Pegulas were interested

I don't believe it at all.

This has the Bill Cowher Saga written all over it.

Fire Rex. All the stories about Cowher, Coughlin, maybe Gruden will be out there.

Then they'll just promote Anthony Lynn.

The whole thing is insane. Just keep the damn coach we have.

Thank you. Stop the insanity and desperation people.

If we were really going for a DC i want Wade. I can see that being one hell of a combo killer move.

Rex

Lynn Phillips

Let Rex finds his way to TV and give the HC job to one of the two Coordinators in two years

No, god no. I go to almost all Giants games, while he has won two SB, those seasons, especially the first were ugly. Poor game planning and terrible clock management, the only time they played to their strength was in the playoffs. With the talent they had, and a HOF QB, they should have won 10 games plus every year. Look at the close games last year that they blew, as I recall 5 games because of poor clock management, game planning and player preparation. He is 71 years old, we have a questionable QB, he is not the man to rebuild this team. At least not on the field.

Tom, you have had your day. You will probably be in the HOF. Enjoy your family and health but please don't come to Buffalo, don't take the opportunity away from a younger person that could still be our coach when you finally leave the game.

Why are so many of you worried about age? People can work and perform when they are old, we have a guy who is 85 yrs old and has been in our factory for 65 yrs. He says he doesn't want to retire because he think he will die. Maybe Tom needs this to feel alive and maybe stay alive, pretty good motivators to do a good job if you ask me. A yr off probably rejuvenated him and made him realize how much he loves coaching.

He can beat the Patriots....

Man he sounds just like Rex, like building Bullies and thing like that B-)