2017 Alexander, Woods, Brown>Gilmore

Besides the fact he was miserable the moment the Bills drafted him, he is in no way a leader on the defense, and he does not like to tackle these days. But the real reason is because we need to spend that $14-15 million a year on guys like Zach Brown id say 6 mill a year, Robert Woods 6 mill a year, and Lorenzo Alexander prob about 3 mill a year (due to his age).

We can more than likely sign all 3 of these players for the price we can re-sign Gilmore. Plus we have good CB depth and Darby is a true # 1. It is good to keep your own productive players at the right price. We are already paying Glenn, Hughes, and Dareus huge money on long contracts not to mention McCoy and Clay. You can not load up on 10 mill plus contracts on your team. Dareus is a good example of why. And with Gilmore giving the Bryd treatment lately he is only one half assed injury from being a total waste of $. He is a talented CB but he is not worth the Bills keeping at anywhere near the price they would have to pay.

Also save another bunch of money by not picking up Taylors option

Sure, lets hop back on the QB carousel. We have the best crop of QB's we have had in a long time. Taylor aint perfect but remember he really is in his second year starting. He causes fits for defenses and takes care of the ball.

I think the Bills will have a value on Gilmore and if he won't take it they will tag him for 2017.

Tag means top 5 pay- he isnt a top ten CB and plays soft as hell.

Besides the fact he was miserable the moment the Bills drafted him, he is in no way a leader on the defense, and he does not like to tackle these days. But the real reason is because we need to spend that $14-15 million a year on guys like Zach Brown id say 6 mill a year, Robert Woods 6 mill a year, and Lorenzo Alexander prob about 3 mill a year (due to his age).

We can more than likely sign all 3 of these players for the price we can re-sign Gilmore. Plus we have good CB depth and Darby is a true # 1. It is good to keep your own productive players at the right price. We are already paying Glenn, Hughes, and Dareus huge money on long contracts not to mention McCoy and Clay. You can not load up on 10 mill plus contracts on your team. Dareus is a good example of why. And with Gilmore giving the Bryd treatment lately he is only one half assed injury from being a total waste of $. He is a talented CB but he is not worth the Bills keeping at anywhere near the price they would have to pay.

well thought out.. have not been a gilmore fan from early on.. i would trade him now for a receiver.. if not , the financial analysis you made makes sense.. we have depth.. let him gp..

Sure, lets hop back on the QB carousel. We have the best crop of QB's we have had in a long time. Taylor aint perfect but remember he really is in his second year starting. He causes fits for defenses and takes care of the ball.

Yes i do because Taylor is not deserving of the contract he would get by picking uo his option. After 5 years essentislly still the same QB from college.

Gilmore looks like he should be playing flag football. I would let him walk also. Jordan Lewis at Michigan will be a great cover corner. Tackles like Antoine Winfield, but is a much better cover guy.

Taylor is afraid to just let it rip down the field far too often. If he does not show major improvement over the rest of the season, I would let him go and groom Cardale to be the guy next year. People do not realize that he can move also. And draft someone in the first couple rounds to compete w him. We have a talented roster. We need a talented passer as well.

I still like Gilmore and would love to keep him in Buffalo. But he's not worth what he wants (to this team) based on the first five games. If he still wants to be paid like josh Norman I'd let him go get that elsewhere and sign a second tier CB in FA or *gasp* draft a CB in the first or second to play opposite Darby.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Well his 5 Th year option this year is pretty high anyway. So the cap hit likely wouldn't b much bigger next year under the tag and there's no way SG signs a one year deal other than to play under the tag. It gives them one more year to find a replacement / get him ready so the tag is a real possibility for Gilmore and probably a smart play. He's not worth a long term top 5 money deal.

Agree that Gilmore is not worth what he will likely command and that Whaley, who has been right on virtually every buy/sell situation he's come across, will let him go (maybe franchise him in 2017?) Also agree that Darby is our best corner right now and it would not be wise to allocate that much money to the same position. I would be fine with Darby and Seymour or whomever.

Disagree with paying Robert Woods $6 million/per. What is this based on? He's not making that on the open market, let alone in Buffalo. While he does have some admirable qualities- normally has great hands (except for that horrendous drop yesterday), terrific blocker- have you ever seen a less explosive wide receiver in a Bills uniform? At least one who is expected to be a #1 or #2 type guy?

At least he throws with Anticipation and Accuracy.

Why would we spend 6M a year on A WR when our QB only puts up 5.4 ypa?

While I would say that Taylor has regressed slightly this season, I think there may be quite a bit of chicken/egg involved in terms of his numbers. Meaning, Woods/Goodwin/Powell may very well be the worst 1/2/3 a QB has had to work with in as long as I can remember. Look up Taylor's YPA from 2015 and where ranked in the league when you get a second.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Agree that Gilmore is not worth what he will likely command and that Whaley, who has been right on virtually every buy/sell situation he's come across, will let him go (maybe franchise him in 2017?) Also agree that Darby is our best corner right now and it would not be wise to allocate that much money to the same position. I would be fine with Darby and Seymour or whomever.

Disagree with paying Robert Woods $6 million/per. What is this based on? He's not making that on the open market, let alone in Buffalo. While he does have some admirable qualities- normally has great hands (except for that horrendous drop yesterday), terrific blocker- have you ever seen a less explosive wide receiver in a Bills uniform? At least one who is expected to be a #1 or #2 type guy?

While I would say that Taylor has regressed slightly this season, I think there may be quite a bit of chicken/egg involved in terms of his numbers. Meaning, Woods/Goodwin/Powell may very well be the worst 1/2/3 a QB has had to work with in as long as I can remember. Look up Taylor's YPA from 2015 and where ranked in the league when you get a second.

I base it on the fact that he is a top blocking receiver who is also a capable of having an impact in the passing game. He will not make any less than 4-6 million on the open market. He could probably be an elite slot receiver. I don't think he's a great #1 or even 2. But could you imagine him on a team like pittsburgh or the patsies in the slot where he should be playing.

Edited by Estelle Getty

I believe Robert Woods is comparable to Hines Ward and would look a lot better had he a Roesthlisberger/Rivers type QB

Yo! Did you see what #2 WRs signed for this past offseason?

Marvin Jones got $8M/year, Travis Benjamin got $6M/yr, The Pats are paying their #2 and #3 WRs $4M/yr each.

$6M/yr for Bob Woods on the open market is totally feasible. It's not a guarantee, and I dont think the Bills should pay that much for him, but it's within the market.

Edited by DrDareustein

I think Gilmore is a top 10-15% starting corner, but he's wanting top 1% corner money. He's not worth that, I believe we have a decent prospect in Seymour and decent depth and if we were to draft a couple more db's, we probably would be better served using that money for other players.

That's a smart move. Maybe Orton will come back?

:lol::lol::lol:

Also save another bunch of money by not picking up Taylors option

MAJbro - If we renegotiate Tyrods contract into something middle of the road, are you down to roll wit him till we draft, trade for, or develop a better QB? Cuz rite now Tyrods our best option with a lot of upside, gotta remember hes in his 2nd year as a starter, hasnt seen enough game time to close the book on him, and for a 2nd year guy hes doing quite well, better than Mariota, Tanney, Cutler, oswieller, and Winston.

*For the record I think Winston is gonna be a certified baller in another year or two

Marvin Jones got $8M/year, Travis Benjamin got $6M/yr, The Pats are paying their #2 and #3 WRs $4M/yr each.

$6M/yr for Bob Woods on the open market is totally feasible. It's not a guarantee, and I dont think the Bills should pay that much for him, but it's within the market.

Yep. This has been done before. Better numbers than Jones and Sanu who both got paid as #2s. When you factor in Woods is a premier blocking receiver I think he goes and gets paid. It won't be here though.

As well as Lorax is playing paying a 33 year old coming off by far a career year is not a move a smart team makes. If he will take another 1 year deal at $2m, sure he gives good depth but if he won't then find another plug and play Ryan scheme vet.

Zach Brown is the one I would consider making an offer on. If he keeps playing as he has you pay him and let Preston walk after 2017 (probably can't afford to pay both long term) but Preston has been pretty solid too so this is a tough call. I think they are competing for a contract basically and the winner plays alongside Ragland long term.

Edited by GunnerBill

Yep. This has been done before. Better numbers than Jones and Sanu who both got paid as #2s. When you factor in Woods is a premier blocking receiver I think he goes and gets paid. It won't be here though.

As well as Lorax is playing paying a 33 year old coming off by far a career year is not a move a smart team makes. If he will take another 1 year deal at $2m, sure he gives good depth but if he won't then find another plug and play Ryan scheme vet.

Zach Brown is the one I would consider making an offer on. If he keeps playing as he has you pay him and let Preston walk after 2017 (probably can't afford to pay both long term) but Preston has been pretty solid too so this is a tough call. I think they are competing for a contract basically and the winner plays alongside Ragland long term.

I'd like to keep Bob if he's in the 4-5 mil range. Beyond that, it'd be tough.

I'm not too worried about Lorax's number because he'll get dinged for PED's in the off season. That's the only way I can understand his improvement!

Zach Brown isn't going to be a top priority because of Ragland. The team needs to emphasize the draft, not signing every last free agent.

Gilmore will get tagged if he doesn't take a deal around $12,000,000. If you ask me he would stupid not to. I fully believe he is in a "me first" mode this year and trying to avoid injury at all cost before hitting the open market to get his deal. But bet this, if he gets tagged he will do the same thing next year. The money could be spread out wisely in different ways if not spent on Stephon. You also have to believe there is no way in Hades that Tyrod sees $27,000,000 next year. That deal will certainly be reworked. They will convert x amount to some kind of bonus that will be spread out and ease the cap hit. Overall I think Whaley works the books to free up money for the players we need to keep and the team is basically the same next year with another fresh draft class coming in.

Woods needs a couple of big games. I agree he might have the talent and I think he wants out of Buffalo. It's nothing against the Bills he just wants to play in a pass first offense with a true pocket passer. Woods would make a great number two with that kind of offense.

Yes i do because Taylor is not deserving of the contract he would get by picking uo his option. After 5 years essentislly still the same QB from college.

Thats not a fair assessment because he was never truly being developed he was the scout team QB for the Ravens, meaning he had to emulate the QBs they were facing each week, thats no way to develop your own style. The scatter shot QB we saw last pre-season when Tyrod won the job compared to the guy that played vs the Pats and Cards are two different QBs, There is progression there and it will continue, hopefully the FO shows more patience then the fans do and renegotiate a more team friendly contract to keep Tyrod while we draft and develop a better one. Getting rid of him without a back up plan is exactly what led to the Kevin Kolb mat smackdown incident. So yes Tyrod is in his 2nd year, theres a big difference between being a scout team practice QB and a starter when real bullets are flying.

Gilmore isn't going anywhere. Rex needs his shut down corner and he will be the best one available if he hits the FA market. Regardless how bad he's played the last few weeks, he's still our best corner.

I hate to admit but that might be true. I really think he needs a 6 week camp on how to tackle properly without injuring himself tho. What pisses everyone off is that he is gonna get payed much more than hes worth because teams are CB starved and in this age you need 3 solid starting CBs

Im just saying why give ourselves salary cap issues that we don't have to have. I am comfortable going into next year with Darby, White, Robey, Seymour, and say a third rounder. Rather than give another huge contract to a player with questionable heart. I think he is a top 20 CB or so but he wants to get paid like a top 3. Not worth it.

Let's take a page out of the patsies non cheating chapter of their book here and have enough confidence that our coaches can coach players up rather than back up the bank truck.

Edited by Estelle Getty

I do not care about the money.

For a guy who really stuck with Gilmore over these years, i have come to the strong conclusion that he plays soft. Too soft.

As some may have noticed I have been adamant this year about his poor tackling and pusyfooting around the play. I watched the play yesterday as he kept running with his receiver to nowhere away from the ball. I watch him too much, and his play irritates me as it did years before.

Yesterday, Darby showed how the position needs to be played.

all facets. Ball awareness, tackling, hitting with demeanor, play recognition.

I wont harp on it any longer though. Regardless of his skills, cuz he has them, he is not a good fit here if he cannot crash down a block or leverage a player to divert the play for a stop.

signed

Pissed

Im just saying why give ourselves salary cap issues that we don't have to have. I am comfortable going into next year with Darby, White, Robey, Seymour, and say a third rounder. Rather than give another huge contract to a player with questionable heart. I think he is a top 20 CB or so but he wants to get paid like a top 3. Not worth it.

Let's take a page out of the patsies non cheating chapter of their book here and have enough confidence that our coaches can coach players up rather than back up the bank truck.

Sure hope they are developing See More. I like White too !

MAJbro - If we renegotiate Tyrods contract into something middle of the road, are you down to roll wit him till we draft, trade for, or develop a better QB? Cuz rite now Tyrods our best option with a lot of upside, gotta remember hes in his 2nd year as a starter, hasnt seen enough game time to close the book on him, and for a 2nd year guy hes doing quite well, better than Mariota, Tanney, Cutler, oswieller, and Winston.

*For the record I think Winston is gonna be a certified baller in another year or two

LMAO, why are you asking him like he's the decision maker about Taylors future?

Mohammad Sanu and Marvin Jones both got more than 6 mil per and their stats are basically identical to Robert Woods and Woods has played in less games with worse QB play. He's tough, physical in the run game, runs very good routes, doesn't complain, does what is asked. He will get his money somewhere. Pro Personnel people will know what he can do.

No because unless i do it before the option is due which wont happen because Taylor has no reason to

Thats not a fair assessment because he was never truly being developed he was the scout team QB for the Ravens, meaning he had to emulate the QBs they were facing each week, thats no way to develop your own style. The scatter shot QB we saw last pre-season when Tyrod won the job compared to the guy that played vs the Pats and Cards are two different QBs, There is progression there and it will continue, hopefully the FO shows more patience then the fans do and renegotiate a more team friendly contract to keep Tyrod while we draft and develop a better one. Getting rid of him without a back up plan is exactly what led to the Kevin Kolb mat smackdown incident. So yes Tyrod is in his 2nd year, theres a big difference between being a scout team practice QB and a starter when real bullets are flying.

I hate to admit but that might be true. I really think he needs a 6 week camp on how to tackle properly without injuring himself tho. What pisses everyone off is that he is gonna get payed much more than hes worth because teams are CB starved and in this age you need 3 solid starting CBs

It is a true assessment most of all his flaws remain and he has been in the league for 5 years. Heck even after a full offseason not that the big play is gone henhas regressed

No because unless i do it before the option is due which wont happen because Taylor has no reason to

It is a true assessment most of all his flaws remain and he has been in the league for 5 years. Heck even after a full offseason not that the big play is gone henhas regressed

This stuff gets really interesting when people start crusading like this.

Your painting yourself into a corner and if Tyrod's stats start picking up your gonna have to go one of 2 routes

- Admit your wrong

- Hold onto that bone like a pitbull and look foolish (much the same way Bado is doing with his McCoy rants)

Im just wondering which way your gonna go

This stuff gets really interesting when people start crusading like this.

Your painting yourself into a corner and if Tyrod's stats start picking up your gonna have to go one of 2 routes

- Admit your wrong

- Hold onto that bone like a pitbull and look foolish (much the same way Bado is doing with his McCoy rants)

Im just wondering which way your gonna go

Guess you didnt read my Praise for him last week.

See how an objective person works. Now going the other way if Taylor keeps playing like this do you think he earns his option.

I already know the answer so dont worry about answering that question.

LMAO, why are you asking him like he's the decision maker about Taylors future?

Cuz I just dont see how anyone would logically wanna jettison the best QB weve had since Bledsoe witout a back up plan, especially when its about money that dont belong to any of us! :lol:

People act like EJ or Cardale gonna play leaps and bounds better then Tyrod, I jus dont see that happenin. Franchise QBs dont appear out of nowhere. The best QB from this draft was taken in the 4th and his owner didnt even want him! So the whole "you need a pick in the top 5" to find one is not fully on point.

Cuz I just dont see how anyone would logically wanna jettison the best QB weve had since Bledsoe witout a back up plan, especially when its about money that dont belong to any of us! :lol:

People act like EJ or Cardale gonna play leaps and bounds better then Tyrod, I jus dont see that happenin. Franchise QBs dont appear out of nowhere. The best QB from this draft was taken in the 4th and his owner didnt even want him! So the whole "you need a pick in the top 5" to find one is not fully on point.

Because i want a better QB not one I have to settle on because he is the best of all the trash we have put out there.

And actually the Best QB in this draft was taken 2nd overall

Edited by MAJBobby

Because i want a better QB not one I have to settle on because he is the best of all the trash we have put out there.

And actually the Best QB in this draft was taken 2nd overall

Ill revisit Dak vs Wentz at the end of the season when both have played a decent amount of good DCs

Guess you didnt read my Praise for him last week.

See how an objective person works. Now going the other way if Taylor keeps playing like this do you think he earns his option.

I already know the answer so dont worry about answering that question.

So you praise one week and then crusade this week?

What are you.....bipolar? Sounds to me like your just hedging your bets

Edited by John from Hemet