Reasons to believe it'll be Jacoby Brissett this Sunday?

Estro

Here's what we know as of early Friday morning:

1 - The Bills coaching staff believed they knew who was starting at QB since Monday

2 - A reputable former NFL doctor who tracks NFL injuries stated that a grade 1 sprain would cause Jimmy G to miss 0-2 weeks and that a grade 2 sprain would result in a 2-4 week absence. At the time of injury (week 2), he indicated it'd be a close call as to who came back first Brady or Jimmy G. Meaning this Doc thought Jimmy G's likely return would be no earlier than week 5.

3 - John Clayton on WGR, said that although he's no DOC he believed that it looked like a grade 2 sprain that Jimmy G suffered and he'd have a tough time playing this week.

4 - Sal Capaccio tipped his hand a bit this week on WGR stating that he was surprised to see the Bills have such a "physical pad popping" Thursday practice. He then went on to reason that perhaps they were getting ready for a heavy dose of run on Sunday with Brissett as QB.

5 - Many sports books still have no line on the Bills Patriots game, indicating they are unsure what QB is playing. However, the fact that the opening line favored the Patriots by 3.5, indicates that Vegas, as of Sunday night, believed it was going to be Jacoby Brissett. With Jimmy G the line would've favored the Patriots by closer to 7 points. Keep in mind the Patriots opened as 6.5 point favorites at home vs. the Dolphins with a healthy Jimmy G.

6 - Finally back to point 1. There is no way that the Bills could be 100% certain it's going to be Jimmy G for all the reasons I've stated. When the Pats decided not to sign a FA QB last week it was clear they were comfortable at least 1 of the 2 QB's would be good to go. No way they can go into a game with just Edelman and no other QB's on the roster.

With all my detective work (!) it leads me to the following conclusion:

Patriots starter: Jacoby Brissett

Patriots backup: Julian Edelman

Clearly this is the best case scenario for the Bills. With Jimmy G playing the Bills would be about 3/1 underdogs, with Brissett they are going to be around 2/1 underdogs.

Still tough to envision a win, even against a 3rd string QB, because I think their coaching staff will totally outclass ours and I'm also very concerned about Tyrod Taylor's play. I think his play has been the most concerning aspect of this season by a long shot. He is weak in all facets of the game he was weak in last year, and he seems to be abandoning the pocket quicker this year, which really has me discouraged. Let's hope he steps up big time, because he needs to play well in order for us to steal one.

Edited by Estro

Another point I forgot to mention:

Sigmund Bloom said he thinks it's going to be Jacoby Brissett, on WGR w/ Schoop and the Bulldog on Thursday. This is another guy that knows a lot. I stand by my belief that all signs point to Brissett

1 - The Bills coaching staff believed they knew who was starting at QB since Monday

2 - A reputable former NFL doctor who tracks NFL injuries stated that a grade 1 sprain would cause Jimmy G to miss 0-2 weeks and that a grade 2 sprain would result in a 2-4 week absence. At the time of injury (week 2), he indicated it'd be a close call as to who came back first Brady or Jimmy G. Meaning this Doc thought Jimmy G's likely return would be no earlier than week 5.

3 - John Clayton on WGR, said that although he's no DOC he believed that it looked like a grade 2 sprain that Jimmy G suffered and he'd have a tough time playing this week.

4 - Sal Capaccio tipped his hand a bit this week on WGR stating that he was surprised to see the Bills have such a "physical pad popping" Thursday practice. He then went on to reason that perhaps they were getting ready for a heavy dose of run on Sunday with Brissett as QB.

5 - Many sports books still have no line on the Bills Patriots game, indicating they are unsure what QB is playing. However, the fact that the opening line favored the Patriots by 3.5, indicates that Vegas, as of Sunday night, believed it was going to be Jacoby Brissett. With Jimmy G the line would've favored the Patriots by closer to 7 points. Keep in mind the Patriots opened as 6.5 point favorites at home vs. the Dolphins with a healthy Jimmy G.

6 - Finally back to point 1. There is no way that the Bills could be 100% certain it's going to be Jimmy G for all the reasons I've stated. When the Pats decided not to sign a FA QB last week it was clear they were comfortable at least 1 of the 2 QB's would be good to go. No way they can go into a game with just Edelman and no other QB's on the roster.

Clearly this is the best case scenario for the Bills. With Jimmy G playing the Bills would be about 3/1 underdogs, with Brissett they are going to be around 2/1 underdogs.

Still tough to envision a win, even against a 3rd string QB, because I think their coaching staff will totally outclass ours and I'm also very concerned about Tyrod Taylor's play. I think his play has been the most concerning aspect of this season by a long shot. He is weak in all facets of the game he was weak in last year, and he seems to be abandoning the pocket quicker this year, which really has me discouraged. Let's hope he steps up big time, because he needs to play well in order for us to steal one.

I agree with you. I think it will be Brissett and I think the Bills have been primarily preparing for him all week.

If anything at least your theory is well reasoned. TYGOD will show up.

Well I respectfully disagree. Jimmy G gives the Pats the best chance to win this the reason why he will start. As for the experts you quoted, they are guessing as they don't know what grade he has so their guess is no better than anyone else's.

in that respect, YOU'RE guessing as well. also "Jimmy G gives the Pats the best chance to win this the reason why he will start" pretty much ignores the fact that his shoulder is cabbage right now.

Doesn't matter if it's backup A, backup B, or Backup C, it's still their backup. The Bills defense needs to shut down any team that have their backup QB in the lineup. This includes the **Patsies, as well coached as they are, they are playing at a disadvantage without their starting QB. GO BILLS!!!!

in that respect, YOU'RE guessing as well. also "Jimmy G gives the Pats the best chance to win this the reason why he will start" pretty much ignores the fact that his shoulder is cabbage right now.

Lol @ cabbage.. No one outside of the Patriits organization knows exactly how his shoulder is. Even the expert in the

Is thread said 1-2 weeks or 2-4 depending on the degree. If it's degree 1 it's been 2 weeks, if 2 then you may be right as this would be at the very earliest he could return.

I am basing my opinion off of the throws they have shown he is making up to 40 yards.. No pads and in a red shirt I know but for a "cabbage" (lmao) arm that's damn good.

I think it will be Brissett. If it is Jimmy G just hit him late on the first snap, it is worth the 15 yards and will be Brissett after that. There is no way Garoppolo can be fully healthy. I am not in the Pats facility, I have not seen the injury or examined it but I don't believe he could be fully healthy inside a fortnight.

It will be Brissett.

Lol @ cabbage.. No one outside of the Patriits organization knows exactly how his shoulder is. Even the expert in the

Is thread said 1-2 weeks or 2-4 depending on the degree. If it's degree 1 it's been 2 weeks, if 2 then you may be right as this would be at the very earliest he could return.

I am basing my opinion off of the throws they have shown he is making up to 40 yards.. No pads and in a red shirt I know but for a "cabbage" (lmao) arm that's damn good.

boiled cabbage.

also did the tape of him throwing look like this?

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

1) im not sure the point made here.

2) a doctor that hasnt examined the injury said it would be close who came back first (ie he doesnt know but seems to be saying a range of this week through the next 2)

3) clayton as a medical source based on the hit he saw? dicey.

4) brisset likely sees a heavy run game, but wouldnt a limited Jimmy G too?

5) I guess? This seems to be pushing towards not knowing at all, not clarifying the issue

6) Id venture that they think both guys are healthy enough to be at worst be limited sunday and play QB1 and QB2 in no particular order depending on how the week plays out.

my read on your points is that no one knows the starter but that the obvious guess is this wont be a high flying aerial affair. they likely have 2 guys that can handle a lot of hand offs.

Edited by NoSaint

Their running game should be our top concern regardless of QB.

Exactly. We need to win the battle for the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense.

Brady would have that quick release to nullify the rush. I hope that it doesn't happen this Sunday.

The defense has to put pressure on whoever is back there. If they try the quick release, hands up!

I think it's going to be Brissett. The Pats aren't going to rush Garapollo back when they know they can win with Brissett (i.e. they just beat Houston 27-0 with Brissett).

Garapollo was the #2 QB last week so he could play in a pinch. I think he'll be the #2 QB again this week.

With Brissett at QB NE is forced to change their game plan. They're no longer a quick, short passing team.

The Bills are going to have to get a heavy dose of L. Blount in this game. If they can prevent him from having a big game then they can force Brissett to make some big plays....and that's probably their best chance to create some turnovers and ultimately win the game.

I think it's going to be Brissett. The Pats aren't going to rush Garapollo back when they know they can win with Brissett (i.e. they just beat Houston 27-0 with Brissett).

Garapollo was the #2 QB last week so he could play in a pinch. I think he'll be the #2 QB again this week.

With Brissett at QB NE is forced to change their game plan. They're no longer a quick, short passing team.

The Bills are going to have to get a heavy dose of L. Blount in this game. If they can prevent him from having a big game then they can force Brissett to make some big plays....and that's probably their best chance to create some turnovers and ultimately win the game.

The Patriots probably could "rush Garapollo back" because they don't need to preserve him for the duration of the season.

This would be his last game until the Patriots sit Brady in game 16 anyway.

If he can go they would probably start him.

Nonetheless, I continue to think it's going to be "Brisket" at the helm.

It doesn't matter who the starting QB will be for the Cheatriots - they won't finish the game and the Bills are going to destroy them.

GO BILLS!!!!

I definitely think Jimmy's injury is more susceptible to aggravation. My son had a Grade 1 AC sprain this past year. He's pretty tough and he couldn't even sleep well for a couple weeks, let alone take a hit. If Jimmy G is the QB, I'd be shocked if Jerry doesn't get a 15 yard penalty just to test out Jimmy's resolve to play through pain.

BTW, Can you imagine what would happen to Bruce if he played in this generation? Do you remember the time he hit Boomer and knocked him out cold on a false-start? Funny how the league has changed.

Wasn't it reported last Friday that Brissett was going to need surgery and was done for the year??

My thinking is either:

BB placed his hand on Brissett's forehead and cured him

OR

He is truly hurt but BB wants to keep Buffalo guessing who'll play so has been reporting him as ready to go, probably forbid him to war any kind of a cast. Wouldn't surprise me to hear this coming Monday he's on IR.

Wasn't it reported last Friday that Brissett was going to need surgery and was done for the year??

My thinking is either:

OR

He is truly hurt but BB wants to keep Buffalo guessing who'll play so has been reporting him as ready to go, probably forbid him to war any kind of a cast. Wouldn't surprise me to hear this coming Monday he's on IR.

yeah why has that report fallen by the wayside? i remember hearing he needed surgery as well.

i think he's not ready to go and they're going to game time decision garappolo. if he can hand off and make intermediate throws, he's going. if not, edelman.

he's throwing: https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/781179141701955584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

My thinking is either:

OR

ACTUAL FOOTAGE OF BB HEALING BRISSETT'S TORN THUMB LIGAMENT

SFnvg88or3IMo.gif