Tyrod unforced error examples: All 22 breakdown

Bocephuz

Here are a couple of TT's unforced errors from the game broken down

• DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

___

Q1: 11:44 - 1st and 10 - first play of the game

Tyrod hits his drop and has a clean pocket.. his first read is most likely 85 Clay on the right hash as that is where TT looks first

LxhjJWb.png

Split second later he looks left over to where Watkins is running a hitch and Woods is running deep post..

RhmgGCK.png

Here is what he should have seen at this moment looking left...

YlKFC0o.png

Watkins has a huge cushion and is wide open on his hitch. And even more enticing is Woods who looks completely open on a post route....

__ __

Yet... he immediately turns his head to the middle of the field and dumps down to Shady

8JbddD0.png

___ ____

Here's EXAMPLE 2

q3: 10:19 - 1st and 10

Tyrod hits his drop and has a clean pocket

ov5subV.png

Contrary to popular belief that the Bills didn't try to go deep this game.. you can see here that this play has multiple deep routes built in.

You also can see that nobody is really open yet at this point.

9I4XdUP.png

Tyrod senses some pressure up the middle and inexplicably bails to the right.

A simple side step to the left here would take him to a nice clean pocket to buy a few more seconds to scan the field

4TS02GT.png

If he steps left here.. maybe he sees Clay with a step on his man on the deep post..

aDogTvL.png

But instead.. he bails right and throws Out of Bounds towards Woods for an incompletion.

AWADthj.png

Edited by Bocephuz

DIsclaimer...TT needs to play a LOT better.

In hindsight it is easy to see an open WR from an aerial view of NFL Films. You think it is that easy on the field standing behind huge OL, with equally big DL breathing down your neck, with a split second to make a decision? I bet if you look at film for every team and every play, even the best QB's don't always find the open WR.

In hindsight it is easy to see an open WR from an aerial view of NFL Films. You think it is that easy on the field standing behind huge OL, with equally big DL breathing down your neck, with a split second to make a decision? I bet if you look at film for every team and every play, even the best QB's don't always find the open WR.

Yeah it's almost like...how could anyone do it?

Dude, come on. He gets paid a lot to not miss that read. I don't care if Jim Kelly dumps it off there, you gotta call that out as a terrible decision. It didn't get any better on the day for Taylor so that's any this is a big deal.

All we can do now is hope this game lights a fire for Taylor and he picks his game up and plays less scared.

Edited by fridge

Here's example 2

q3: 10:19 - 1st and 10

Tyrod hits his drop and has a clean pocket

ov5subV.png

Contrary to popular belie that the Bills didn't try to go deep this game.. you can see here that this play has multiple deep routes built in.

You also can see that nobody is really open yet at this point.

9I4XdUP.png

Tyrod senses some pressure up the middle and inexplicably bails to the right.

A simple side step to the left here would take him to a nice clean pocket to buy a few more seconds to scan the field

4TS02GT.png

If he steps left here.. maybe he sees Clay with a step on his man on the deep post..

aDogTvL.png

But instead.. he bails right and throws Out of Bounds towards Woods for an incompletion.

AWADthj.png

Edited by Bocephuz

He couldn't find anyone all day and missed a lot of easy throws. He locked on to receivers and failed to find open targets. His best pass was a broken play, finding Clay on the run. Tyrod was also completely ineffective running the ball. He was flat out terrible Sunday. There is no defending that performance.

I'm not making any sort of statement about his overall play with this.. He had a few good throws too... just illustrating a few unforced errors in depth

I keep posting this in multiple threads (mostly because no one seems to acknowledge the film), but here's a great "not quite A 22" breakdown of the O and D.

https://twitter.com/YardsPerPass

Wow, the roughing call on Hughes (conveniently blacked out by CBS) was absolute rubbish. Big surprise. Edited by mannc

Tyrod senses some pressure up the middle and iexplicably bails to the right..when a simple side step to the left takes him to a nice pocket to buy a few more seconds

But instead.. he bails right and throws Out of Bounds towards Woods for incomplete

I'm guessing he bailed to the right because he had 3 WRs on that side and only one on the left side. When you're used to only reading one half of the field, that's what happens...

He couldn't find anyone all day and missed a lot of easy throws. He locked on to receivers and failed to find open targets. His best pass was a broken play, finding Clay on the run. Tyrod was also completely ineffective running the ball. He was flat out terrible Sunday. There is no defending that performance.

I'm just pointing out how easy it is with slo-mo and an aerial view to say "look at this video and see how open this guy is"? Yes he sucked. Did you see my disclaimer at the top of my post?

Having access to "I want to be a coach" film website, makes everyone a player evaluation expert.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I'm just pointing out how easy it is with slo-mo and an aerial view to say "look at this video and see how open this guy is"? Yes he sucked. Did you see my disclaimer at the top of my post?

Having access to "I want to be a coach" film website, makes everyone a player evaluation expert.

Give me a break with this. He first instinct is to dump it off

Wow. Woods was wide open. Walk in TD. Just can't miss someone that open.

yea - that 2 vs 1 route combo was bound to leave someone open in that coverage scheme. for whatever reason, he misread the defense, and must have assumed the deep guy was running with woods, and the one that made the stop was sticking outside for sammy....

i dont think its being tentative but whether vision, or making the wrong assumption pre-snap, TT blew that play.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

...in week 1, or each and every week? Sure didn't seem that way in many games last year?

How many 300 yard passing games did the Bills have last year?

How does TT get worse than last year? I don't get it. We've heard all the talk of the first team reps and how much he put into improving this offseason, then he looks like a rookie in his first game. I don't understand why he sucked so bad.. it's like he regressed, and not just a by a little bit. Disappointing.... but you see it happen all the time in the NFL. QBs look great for a bit, then fall off them map once defenses learn enough to start gameplaning around their tendencies. Hopefully he figures it out.

To be fair, it's not entirely Tyrod's fault. He had the 5th highest YPA in the NFL last year.

On average, we threw 27 times per game with him under centre. To reach 300 yards, that would require a 11.1 YPA. The league leader was Carson Palmer at 8.7.

Edited by Blokestradamus

300 yard passing games has a direct correlation to how many passes you throw in a game.

TT's YPA was better in 2015 than Brees, Newton, Eli, Brady and many other above average NFL QB's. Does that mean all they do is checkdown?

To be fair, it's not entirely Tyrod's fault. He had the 5th highest YPA in the NFL last year.

On average, we threw 27 times per game with him under centre. To reach 300 yards, that would require a 11.1 YPA. The league leader was Carson Palmer at 8.7.

You beat me to the punch. :)

How does TT get worse than last year? I don't get it. We've heard all the talk of the first team reps and how much he put into improving this offseason, then he looks like a rookie in his first game. I don't understand why he sucked so bad.. it's like he regressed, and not just a by a little bit. Disappointing.... but you see it happen all the time in the NFL. QBs look great for a bit, then fall off them map once defenses learn enough to start gameplaning around their tendencies. Hopefully he figures it out.

simple answer? our fat-ass coaches are trying to put a square peg into a round hole

let him do what he does best...roll-out, improvise, etc

he's not a precise pocket-passer and he may never be, so let him do his thing...there is enough skill on this offense to score more than 7 points against the ravens if they were playing in a snowstorm

Possible he was overly excited to prove something in Baltimore as the team he left...might have been trying too hard to be perfect instead of just playing...lets see what happens this week

Possible he was overly excited to prove something in Baltimore as the team he left...might have been trying too hard to be perfect instead of just playing...lets see what happens this week

i mentioned in another thread that its close to home for him.... and a whole offseason that included a new contract to be #1.

its possible its as simple as thinking too much and a 4 day week will be a good thing for him to get on the field and think less.

That, the slow release, and the ability to see the whole field...through one game, it's not better

yup. no argument there. all off season ive been trying to remind people that we cant just assume that more snaps and experience will fix those.

he has to prove he can not only get back to last year (i expect he will) but take a step forward (who knows if he will)

I think that is likely. This is really the first time I've seen him look skittish in the pocket for the majority of a game and I think the enormity of the moment got to him.

The one consistent thing about him last year was his calm demeanor on the field .. he never really seemed rattled last year. But he sure was rattled this Sunday.

Let's hope he reverts to his old form. Playing at home should help.

Yes, the all 22 makes it easy to see exactly what happened. That doesn't make it easy to be a good NFL QB. We don't have enough evidence at this point, but Taylor might not be one.

Better link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/775724001851244544/video/1

Now you can't tackle a qb at the ankles either I guess.

So if the QB is running away from you, toward the line of scrimmage, you can't dive for his ankles, even if that's the only way to stop him from eluding you? Asinine. There was nothing even remotely dangerous about that tackle.

Edited by mannc

Well. no, Labatt, no one thinks it is easy. But it's something successful NFL QB have to do. If it was easy, it would be more common and easier to find truly NFL capable QB in the college ranks!

Look again at the last pic in the OP's post. you'll see there is space between Glenn and 'Cog. I believe this is what Whaley was referring to when he said "Tyrod needs to find his throwing lanes; they are there". He couldn't step up into the space, but if he sidestepped, he would have a clear lane to throw to that side of the field.

You're quite correct that even the best QBs don't always find the open WR and when they do, don't always throw on target - both Brees and Rodgers make 2-3 "WTF?" throws per game. But successful NFL QB need to find their guy and hit him more often than Taylor did on Sunday.

simple answer? our fat-ass coaches are trying to put a square peg into a round hole

let him do what he does best...roll-out, improvise, etc

he's not a precise pocket-passer and he may never be, so let him do his thing...there is enough skill on this offense to score more than 7 points against the ravens if they were playing in a snowstorm

QB Bills, I think (or maybe I fear) it's not that simple as pointing at our fat-ass coaches.

I think the Ravens, who know him very well, made up their minds that whatever else might happen they were NOT going to let Tyrod "do what he does best". They were going to force him to stay in the pocket and beat them with passing.

Now it's on tape, and every team will try it until we make them pay.

I think this was essentially Game 3 of the preseason for Tyrod and the starting OL. Rex in his infinite wisdom decided to buck the trend of using Game 3 as a dress-rehearsal for the starters. Last year, he over-worked the starters and started the season with tons of injuries because they were running 2 fields simultaneously. This year, he over-compensated. So basically, Tyrod and the OL and the starting WR have not had any "live action" to get in sync. So they had to do it during the season, when it counted. I think it's the same thing with our RB: they weren't trusting the OL, and they were missing holes that seemed to be there (at least from what I could see on TV)

But that's just my theory. Time will tell. All I can say is that as a team, we looked under-prepared and flat.

I think that is likely. This is really the first time I've seen him look skittish in the pocket for the majority of a game and I think the enormity of the moment got to him.

The one consistent thing about him last year was his calm demeanor on the field .. he never really seemed rattled last year. But he sure was rattled this Sunday.

Let's hope he reverts to his old form. Playing at home should help.

Yes. I don't understand how people can throw out everything we've seen from him for ONE game. Ludicrous.

People who are commenting on things they saw last year that are continuing? Well, OK. Makes sense.

But people who say he plays nervous, or only checks down - idiotic. Those are two things he absolutely did not do last year. He did look skittish this game, and it startled me and worried me a little. But it's not a trend yet, by any means. Quite the opposite.

He has plenty of flaws as a QB that he needs to work on. No need to make up new ones based on one game.

Where was all the angst over TT in the offseason, or is this doom and gloom all over ONE bad game?

TT had some bad games last season as well. The offseason hope was that he improved on weak areas of his game that showed last season. So the concern after this one particular bad game is that the improvement wasn't apparent in critical factors of being a good NFL QB. It's a combination of this bad game and last years. He didn't look good. We'll see if he bounces back in a big way and this was just a blip, or an indicator of trouble ahead.

Give me a break with this. He first instinct is to dump it off

He checked down a lot in this game. Didn't really take many deep shots at all.

To be fair though, he did have someone in his face a lot. Baltimore kept sending a defensive back from the edge at him and every time, he seemed surprised by it. An unblocked defender closing fast will make you skittish.

Edited by Rockinon

I commented on this during the game when people kept posting that Roman was an idiot for not calling any deep routes. There are deep routes on almost all passing plays. Either the were always 100% covered or, much more likely, TT is missing open guys in his reads. Now there is some visual evidence.

I know it's hard, but these are the plays that you have to make to be a top QB and win.

Edited by vincec