98% of NFL experts agree - NO playoffs for the Buffalo Bills

Wayne Arnold

Only 1 out of 40 experts polled by newyorkupstate.com predict the Bills will make the playoffs.

98% of NFL writers/experts from NFL.com, PFF, ProFootballTalk, USA Today, CBS, ESPN, etc. who do this for a living do not think the Bills are a Top 6 team in the AFC.

Amazing.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/09/2016_nfl_predictions_only_1_of_40_national_experts_say_bills_make_playoffs.html

Only 1 out of 40 experts polled by newyorkupstate.com predict the Bills will make the playoffs.

98% of NFL writers/experts from NFL.com, PFF, ProFootballTalk, USA Today, CBS, ESPN, etc. who do this for a living do not think the Bills are a Top 6 team in the AFC.

Amazing.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/09/2016_nfl_predictions_only_1_of_40_national_experts_say_bills_make_playoffs.html

Why is that amazing to people? You're all acting like this team has done ANYTHING to merit people believing they should be listed among the top 6 in the AFC.

Why is that amazing to people? You're all acting like this team has done ANYTHING to merit people believing they should be listed among the top 6 in the AFC.

Because that's quite the percentage. I would think an average team would get 75-80% tops. I didn't think anyone aside from the worst team in the league would get a prediction that poor from NFL writers.

Exactly. While I love the Bills and want them to win every game, this needs to be looked at realistically. These writers eyc are at least as well versed in the " nuances" of the NFL as every poster on this board. The Bills play in the AFC East. Does anyone believe that the Pats will not win the division yet again, even with Brady suspended for 4 games? That mean the Bills, Jets , Phins are fighting for a WC spot. That's a tougher go than teams in other divisions that have more than one way in. The Bills also have to play NE twice and have a Mon night @ Seattle. That leaves them 13 games to get what is likely the required 10 wins to make the AFC playoffs. They also have two games in CAL where they historically almost never win. Perhaps 9 wins does it in the NFC, but the AFC will take 10. Injuries, suspensions, FA leave the Bills with less talent and ability to absorb more injuries when the real games start. No playoffs is a pretty good bet for them. I hope they can beat the odds, but they are up against it.

One team no one picks usually sneaks in every year, and one trendy pick usually bottoms out. It could be us - but the top 3/4 are usually set so were battling like 6 or 7 teams for 1 or 2 open spots. Its tough.

Not to mention we're in a division with a powerhouse team- usually puts an extra 2 L's on your record, and takes away the possibility of winning the division. 2 extra AFC losses and a worse divisional record - all tiebreakers that get harmed by playing new england twice a year during their run of winning an average of 12 per year for 15 years. Certainly doesn't make it easy.

Edited by dneveu

Because that's quite the percentage. I would think an average team would get 75-80% tops. I didn't think anyone aside from the worst team in the league would get a prediction that poor from NFL writers.

The question doesn't appear to have been if the Bills were one of the worst teams in the league. It was if they would make the playoffs. There are several factors that could keep the Bills out of the AFC playoffs including the relative strength of the competition and that they play in the AFC east with the Patriots. It's likely that the Bills would not be on a 16 year non playoff streak if they played in another division or in the NFC. The writers are likely looking at the big picture away from the Bills , not just the relative quality of their roster.

I think what happens is if the perception that the Bills will make the playoffs is say(for example), 25% or 33%, then that means it's 67%-75% that they won't. So if 39 out of 40 sportswriters simply 'play the odds' in their predictions, they won't pick the Bills to make the playoffs. But that doesn't mean the Bills are 97.5% likely to miss the playoffs with only 2.5% chance to make them. The underlying probabilities are still 25%-33% chance to make the playoffs.

Same argument for teams considered likely to make the playoffs - even if the underlying odds are 80% likely, close to 100% of sportswriters will pick them to make it.

Edited by Sakman

Exactly. While I love the Bills and want them to win every game, this needs to be looked at realistically. These writers eyc are at least as well versed in the " nuances" of the NFL as every poster on this board. The Bills play in the AFC East. Does anyone believe that the Pats will not win the division yet again, even with Brady suspended for 4 games? That mean the Bills, Jets , Phins are fighting for a WC spot. That's a tougher go than teams in other divisions that have more than one way in. The Bills also have to play NE twice and have a Mon night @ Seattle. That leaves them 13 games to get what is likely the required 10 wins to make the AFC playoffs. They also have two games in CAL where they historically almost never win. Perhaps 9 wins does it in the NFC, but the AFC will take 10. Injuries, suspensions, FA leave the Bills with less talent and ability to absorb more injuries when the real games start. No playoffs is a pretty good bet for them. I hope they can beat the odds, but they are up against it.

Let's see what they say in week 8 when we have a top 10 Defense and people act all shocked across the country...

Last year we were one of the trendy teams. We made anyone who believed look dumb.

Most thought Rex could coach defense and with the talent that was on that defense last season it was going to be lights out for most of the teams playing the Bills. It didn't turn out quite that way.

With my NFL conspiracy hat on, this is the perfect story to fuel the narrative.

You see, the ideal narrative is for the Bills to have a 2015 Carolina Panthers season. Be so surprising, be so convincing, be so dominating that it is an amazing, feel good, uplifting story that is impossible not to like. Redemption for the Ryans. They stay in the league.

Playoffs for sure.

Invigorated fan base.

Tons of pressure ratcheted up on the Pegulas and the state for that new stadium. And nothing else matters.

With my NFL conspiracy hat on, this is the perfect story to fuel the narrative.

You see, the ideal narrative is for the Bills to have a 2015 Carolina Panthers season. Be so surprising, be so convincing, be so dominating that it is an amazing, feel good, uplifting story that is impossible not to like. Redemption for the Ryans. They stay in the league.

Playoffs for sure.

Invigorated fan base.

Tons of pressure ratcheted up on the Pegulas and the state for that new stadium. And nothing else matters.

Ok, I guess I'm ready to lose another super bowl.

Ok, I guess I'm ready to lose another super bowl.

Two schools of thought

Owners want the Bills as Super Bowl winners. Apex of success and the Pegulas would be in a poor position to be cheap after finally getting to the top of the mountain.

Flip side - Owners want the team super competitive but not win it all. Keeps the Pegulas from saying "well we won, box checked" and get complacent about the definition of success going forward in a stadium that doesn't make money.

While 90% of this is tongue in cheek, the other 10% of me wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the Bills amazingly successful this year. Why?

The NFL is a private enterprise in the entertainment business. It can tell whatever story it wants to.

Edited by dpberr

Not surprised at all. Doesn't change their playoff chances, though.

The Bills need to take care of business when the opportunity is there. (Beat the Brady-less Pats, win their home games, and sweep the underdogs.) Do that and it leaves 4-6 losses. That's enough.

Playoff teams are the ones who capitalized on the opportunity, no matter what the strength of schedule was.

Everyone is always surprised by these things, but here's the math from the national viewpoint:

2015: 9-7

plus: not much (no major FA signings, draft class is a hosipital ward)

minus: 4 game suspension for top defender

minus: top pass rusher now in Miami

minus: last year's surprisingly successful backup RB cut

= 2016: 8-8

No one is going to bank on TT being better, McCoy being healthy, Watkins playing a full season, the defense gelling, etc. until they see it on the field.

When injuries and stupidity run rampant on one team, what other rational conclusion should we reach?

They could make the playoffs, but how many of you if you had to risk your life on your decision would opt for they will make it?

When injuries and stupidity run rampant on one team, what other rational conclusion should we reach?

They could make the playoffs, but how many of you if you had to risk your life on your decision would opt for they will make it?

they arnt risking their lives.....they are wrong all the time....just a new year of guesses

they arnt risking their lives.....they are wrong all the time....just a new year of guesses

I'll alter the hypothetical for you.

If you had to bet $10,000 on whether the Bills will make the playoffs this year, what would your bet be?

Yeah, I know you don't have to bet.

I still hope they make it, but when looking at it objectively, I doubt very many here would bet on making it.

Who cares what the "experts" are predicting? Nobody what anybody thinks will happen right now, they are all guessing.

That's why they play the games and that's what makes the NFL interesting. There's always a team or two that is way better than most people expected. Maybe that will be the Bills this year. Maybe not. Nobody knows. GO BILLS

Personally, I think they will be in the group of 5-6 teams fighting for wildcard spots (Pitt, Cin, Oak, KC, JAX, NYJ, BUF, etc). Based on their schedule, I expect them to fall just short. But would not be shocked at all if they get in.

Add me to the list of those who do not think they will make it. Too many holes and inconsistent play. Could they make it? Sure but things have to fall their way and we know the Bills luck is not that good. They have talent on the roster to make it but the right side of the offensive line and the linebackers are weaknesses you can not gloss over.

So these experts don't trust Rex to get a team into the post-season?

I guess if you throw the last 5 seasons of Rex's coaching career out the window then they're wrong.

I hope Whaley doesn't trade away what is left of the Bills 2017 draft picks. You know.....just in case they finish with a poor record.

Amazing.

How is it amazing?

Amazing.

I guess I thought it was amazing that 1 of the 40 writers predicted "Superbowl!" for the Bills

One team no one picks usually sneaks in every year, and one trendy pick usually bottoms out. It could be us - but the top 3/4 are usually set so were battling like 6 or 7 teams for 1 or 2 open spots. Its tough.

Not to mention we're in a division with a powerhouse team- usually puts an extra 2 L's on your record, and takes away the possibility of winning the division. 2 extra AFC losses and a worse divisional record - all tiebreakers that get harmed by playing new england twice a year during their run of winning an average of 12 per year for 15 years. Certainly doesn't make it easy.

Yep. Titans, Bengals, Ravens, Jags, and Raiders games are the ones we really need to win (besides the AFCE) in order to make the WC spot happen. What bothers me is the last 3 games we have Bengs, Jags, and Raiders, and I dont remember a time last season where we strung more than 2 wins together back to back. If we want to get a WC we need to be able to go on 3-5 game winning streaks throughout.