Restaurant Guide To Buffalo For Visitors

Best kept Italian secret in Buffalo is Linguine's out in Lancaster/Bowmansville. It's in a gas station plaza, and is the closest thing to eating at your Italian grandmother's house you will find. Way more than just a "red sauce and pasta" place like Chef's.

Genesee & Harris Hill?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best kept Italian secret in Buffalo is Linguine's out in Lancaster/Bowmansville. It's in a gas station plaza, and is the closest thing to eating at your Italian grandmother's house you will find. Way more than just a "red sauce and pasta" place like Chef's.

Ahhh!!! You beat me to it! I love Lingunie's. I always get the VEAL MARSALA!!!

• No Mighty. That's a taco. You guys from Buffalo think it's fast food, but when you've been gone for 25 years, I love the fact I can order on-line.
  • What about Beef on Weck? I don't know if Eckels is still open in Orchard Park, but they were awesome growing up. Personally I grew up working at the K of C in Lackawanna and they had the best BOW,
  • Pizza - Our favorite was Blasdell or Abbott Pizza as it tasted the same as both owners were best friends.
  • Lastly, how do you not include Hoaks as the Best Fish Fry on the planet.

Can you tell I grew up in the Southtowns as a kid. Other than the best people, and I mean that, I miss the food. I loved the Wegmans comment on the article. Best grocery store on the planet. My sis is a VP for them. She's worked there for 30 years since college.

All of this, plus Connor's and Schwabl's.

Genesee & Harris Hill?

That's the one!

Ahhh!!! You beat me to it! I love Lingunie's. I always get the VEAL MARSALA!!!

Yep, and I always go with the Linguine Shrimp w/Tomato Asiago Cream & Olives. After starting with a Stuffed Artichoke of course! :thumbsup:

You really cant go wrong.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I ate at Schwabl's about a year ago. It was like $13 for and open faced roast beef sandwich at lunchtime and it came on wonder bread. It was average, was not impressed.

• No Mighty. That's a taco. You guys from Buffalo think it's fast food, but when you've been gone for 25 years, I love the fact I can order on-line.
  • What about Beef on Weck? I don't know if Eckels is still open in Orchard Park, but they were awesome growing up. Personally I grew up working at the K of C in Lackawanna and they had the best BOW,
  • Pizza - Our favorite was Blasdell or Abbott Pizza as it tasted the same as both owners were best friends.

Can you tell I grew up in the Southtowns as a kid. Other than the best people, and I mean that, I miss the food. I loved the Wegmans comment on the article. Best grocery store on the planet. My sis is a VP for them. She's worked there for 30 years since college.

I second the best fish fry nomination for Hoaks. Having that last name does not in any way make me biased. :thumbsup:

I ate at Schwabl's about a year ago. It was like $13 for and open faced roast beef sandwich at lunchtime and it came on wonder bread. It was average, was not impressed.

It's been many years, but I never had anything but beef on weck at Schwabl's. I was vaguely aware they ahead a menu beyond that....

I'm moving a washer for a friend tomorrow and she's treating me to tacos... were they good?

they are the best in wny. Very authentic. I usually get 1 carne asada and 1 barbacoa. The asada is steak and the other is a saucy shredded beef. 2 is sufficient for me, but you'll be working up an appetite. They sell beer there too.

My family is very close with the old owner of Abbot Pizza. Great sauce and always consistent pies.

We loved Schwabl's for the BOW. My parents were big fans of the Mansard for steak as well. Funny, reading this thread I'm getting hungry.

I just skimmed the article (fun read by the way) but did they leave off Ted's? Nothing better than a charbroiled Sahlen's, with Ted's hot sauce, onion rings and ice cold Loganberry.

Nice call Yolo. I never appreciated Ted's until I left Buffalo.

BUFFALOBART will be conducting a "how to properly cook chicken wings" clinic @ 13 Glen St. off of Abbott Rd. prior to every regular season home game this season. Stop by, if you are interested. :-)

If i attend a game this year, this is on my list !!

BTW

This is probably the best thread i have seen in the last couple years. Its Buffalo at its heart, which is through the stomach..

Good eating !!

DiTondo's is legit. Weird operating hours but excellent food.

My thoughts on pizza in WNY: it mostly sucks. Mostly.

Really? Maybe things are changing but I've always thought the pizza in WNY blows the doors off of pizza on the West Coast, for example. Or most international pizza.

My family is very close with the old owner of Abbot Pizza. Great sauce and always consistent pies.

I used to rave about Mighty Taco. It was awesome when it was new. Now, it's just another non-authentic Mexican-inspired fast food joint.

Paula's, ever notice everyone there is 100# to 200# overweight?

I loved Mulberrys, last time there it looked like every dinner portion was cut in half.

Problem and a solution?

La Divina is AWESOME! Best kept *not so much* secret in Kenmore.

Took the wife and twins there Saturday...really enjoyed it.

The tortillas are absolutely perfect, and the fact that the food is in your hands in less than 5 minutes is a major win for a couple trying to keep two 3-year-olds occupied.

I will most definitely be back.

C'mon Hondo. You don't want a few beef and cheese hot so your stomach is killing you in the morning?

When I was much younger and had a cast iron stomach, I used to enjoy Mighty Taco's original location on Hertel. It was a dumpy little place and it seemed like greasy hair and acne were requirements to work there. The sketchy neighborhood, the dirty kitchen, the drunken clientele - it took a bit of courage for a shy teen like me to eat at Mighty in those early days. But the food so tasty that it overcame my fears.

Now they've gone all generic and my strong stomach has been weakened by years of abuse.

Mulberry is tremendous. Lasagna is 5 star.

Steve's Ox Roast- Outstanding roast beef sandwich

Breakfast- Original Pancake House - Williamsville

Steak- Buffalo Chophouse is very good- bring your wallet!

Pizza- Bocce is good, Danny's near the stadium has good pizza

F*** Schwabl's. After an elderly person crashed into their building several years ago, the ****head owner put a sign out in front of his building declaring "closed due to careless driving", while the driver of the car was in the hospital. I wouldn't go in there, if they were giving food away.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/west-seneca/friends-of-injured-driver-have-beef-with-schwabls-sign-20131205

F*** Schwabl's. After an elderly person crashed into their building several years ago, the ****head owner put a sign out in front of his building declaring "closed due to careless driving", while the driver of the car was in the hospital. I wouldn't go in there, if they were giving food away.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/west-seneca/friends-of-injured-driver-have-beef-with-schwabls-sign-20131205

I had not heard that story. You are right - that sucks. But, the beef on week is really, really good .......

I had not heard that story. You are right - that sucks. But, the beef on week is really, really good .......

Yep, that does suck. This could serve as a test for me. I'd probably fail....

When I was much younger and had a cast iron stomach, I used to enjoy Mighty Taco's original location on Hertel. It was a dumpy little place and it seemed like greasy hair and acne were requirements to work there. The sketchy neighborhood, the dirty kitchen, the drunken clientele - it took a bit of courage for a shy teen like me to eat at Mighty in those early days. But the food so tasty that it overcame my fears.

Now they've gone all generic and my strong stomach has been weakened by years of abuse.

Just for you Hondo, I'm ordering a 12 pack on their website. Darn it making me hungry for the old food. Give me your address on a PM and I'll send you a pack so you can bring back your youth. All good bud.

As an aside, thanks for the pro football history lesson a couple of weeks ago when the Tonawanda article came out. That was awesome as I didn't know so many of the pieces of info you provided. Your a football scholar my friend.

I went to the Mighty Taco in Henrietta when it opened last year here.

Rochester has a Duffs now too.

No point in going and clouding up the myth with a meh review.

Some things are better left as a fond memory.

There is a pizza joint in South Brighton we used to go to on Friday nights as kids. Parents gave us money to go there to suck down soda and eat pizza.

One of my favorite memories. It is still open. But i do not dare go there. I want the memory to remain as great as it is.

I want again say, i love this thread. It really does bond us in a way.

Food is the way to the heart.

That is why i love taking my Family out to eat as often as we can , if only for brunch. We remember pleasantly , after many years these moments

Edited by 3rdand12

Sounds like careless driving, it appears a factual statement:

Krupinski reportedly was charged with imprudent speed, making an unsafe turn and failure to stay in lane.

I had a driver dodge a deer (she was cited as driving too fast which is why she could not stop in time), drive thru a brick and concrete wall around my house and her insurance company refused to pay for damages to property; they did not even clean up mess other than tow car away, I needed to file against my home insurance to get repairs with the insurance company (AIG) trying to give me an estimate which no contractor would do job for. After several repeated calls and emails it was finally resolved but wall does not match rest of property now. The insurance company then raised rates citing me at fault (I am at fault? The wall is on my property and was on it when they signed me as client) for which I immediately dropped. I have sympathy for his position.

The restaurant took a big hit during the busiest time of the year, and it will remain closed into January, Staychock said. Damage topped $200,000, and 27 people were left without jobs.

I am sure many of the employees out of work have same opinion.

After that Sign, I have no desire to support their business.

Really? Maybe things are changing but I've always thought the pizza in WNY blows the doors off of pizza on the West Coast, for example. Or most international pizza.

I used to rave about Mighty Taco. It was awesome when it was new. Now, it's just another non-authentic Mexican-inspired fast food joint.

I'm not a fan of the medium thickness crust or the Cisco truck sauce that is on 90% of the pies in town. A few really good places, but a whole lot of mediocre.