5-28: Carucci's TBN Piece on John Miller

Thanks 26CB. I had no idea on his mom, and knew he had some injury, but not the specifics of it. One good points on the grind to get drafted, then the season.

He's not a bust, and most rookie O-lineman struggle at some point. I expect him to have a good year. After losing my mom on my 40th birthday, I couldn't imagine coming back to a sport like the NFL and performing at an elite level. You get back to work, but in some ways you're in a fog for awhile.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play. He had a decent first half of the season and his rookie camp was solid.

The Right Tackle position worries me, not so much in Mills being serviceable, but more so someone is going down on this line throughout the year. It's rare to ever see an entire O-Line remain healthy for 16 games. We don't have squat fo depth. Kuondjo is an absolute bust, and what's after him?

@viccarucci

Rebounding from heartbreak: #Bills' John Miller battles back from long rookie season of pain. BN Blog: https://t.co/5h9OEwZZC5

Good story on Miller. I'm looking forward to seeing him grow his game this season.

"So I got a chance to talk with those guys, see what they do in the offseason, how they take care of their body, as far as massages, chiropractor, a lot of different things that you can do as far as soft tissue and stuff like that," Miller said. "Making sure you're putting the right things in your body. Your protein, making sure you're taking your supplements. That was one of the things that I was lacking that I'm doing now."

This tells me either training staff is insufficient because they were not teaching Miller or able to get thru. Still think Bills need to get Rusty Jones as consultant.

We forget sometimes that most rookies are kids. Tough year for him, I think he'll bounce back. If he does and they get even adequate play at RT, the OL could be very good.

I fully understand your point but I never do this. It's embarrassing how people take pride in labeling players busts after a bad training camp practice.

Thanks 26CB. I had no idea on his mom, and knew he had some injury, but not the specifics of it. One good points on the grind to get drafted, then the season.

He's not a bust, and most rookie O-lineman struggle at some point. I expect him to have a good year. After losing my mom on my 40th birthday, I couldn't imagine coming back to a sport like the NFL and performing at an elite level. You get back to work, but in some ways you're in a fog for awhile.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play. He had a decent first half of the season and his rookie camp was solid.

The Right Tackle position worries me, not so much in Mills being serviceable, but more so someone is going down on this line throughout the year. It's rare to ever see an entire O-Line remain healthy for 16 games. We don't have squat fo depth. Kuondjo is an absolute bust, and what's after him?

When Kuoandijo filled in for Henderson in the 'Nati game he actually did pretty well. I don't know what is going on with him in the practice setting that he can't earn the gig. I wonder if that knee problem that was discussed when he was drafted is playing a role in his issues.

@viccarucci

Rebounding from heartbreak: #Bills' John Miller battles back from long rookie season of pain. BN Blog: https://t.co/5h9OEwZZC5

Good story on Miller. I'm looking forward to seeing him grow his game this season.

I thought this was a Tyler Dunne article !! Not bad by Vic.

Miller , i have remained a Fan.

Another kid i have to root for !!

Go John !

We forget sometimes that most rookies are kids. Tough year for him, I think he'll bounce back. If he does and they get even adequate play at RT, the OL could be very good.

The right side will look better this year. Last season was just plain tough over there.

Kujo is not a bust. yet. He surely can improve but , no bust.

and Hendy will never qualify as one due his draft. A risk worth taking. i just hope he gets his health in order

I fully understand your point but I never do this. It's embarrassing how people take pride in labeling players busts after a bad training camp practice.

agreed

PH- I hope your right and simply an injury, vs. a lack of adjust,net to the NFL. I never had much confidence in Henderson coming back this year. I've been in medical devices and healthcare for 18 years, but a couple in the GI space. Crohn's really takes a toll on the body. I'm hopeful he'll be ok in life, but to play a lineman in the NFL with Crohn's is a challenge. At least the first six or seven months after diagnosis, I would have expected a significant weight loss, and significant loss in strength.

I wish him the best as he really made up for his mistakes in college. It would be great if maybe he can make it back by next year, but would guess that is a small percentage. I do think he can live a normal life and be fine of he sticks strictly to his regimen.

PH- I hope your right and simply an injury, vs. a lack of adjust,net to the NFL. I never had much confidence in Henderson coming back this year. I've been in medical devices and healthcare for 18 years, but a couple in the GI space. Crohn's really takes a toll on the body. I'm hopeful he'll be ok in life, but to play a lineman in the NFL with Crohn's is a challenge. At least the first six or seven months after diagnosis, I would have expected a significant weight loss, and significant loss in strength.

I wish him the best as he really made up for his mistakes in college. It would be great if maybe he can make it back by next year, but would guess that is a small percentage. I do think he can live a normal life and be fine of he sticks strictly to his regimen.

Matt Light did it http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828f145d/article/matt-light-reveals-long-battle-with-crohns-disease

When Kuoandijo filled in for Henderson in the 'Nati game he actually did pretty well. I don't know what is going on with him in the practice setting that he can't earn the gig. I wonder if that knee problem that was discussed when he was drafted is playing a role in his issues.

I have wondered that myself. He came in healthy and started strong, then faded as the grind of training camp wore on. Made me wonder if the knees are a factor and they just can't hold up to the grind.

Great article. I had no clue his mom died during the Jax game week. Explains the mental focus issue for sure. Losing a parent at 22 is devastating.

The fact that Miller played as well as he did with all he had to deal with as a ROOKIE is incredible. He will be good. Fans need to take a deep breath.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Great article. I had no clue his mom died during the Jax game week. Explains the mental focus issue for sure. Losing a parent at 22 is devastating.

The fact that Miller played as well as he did with all he had to deal with as a ROOKIE is incredible. He will be good. Fans need to take a deep breath.

Bitter Bills Face is hard to overcome for some when they have been suffering so long with BBFS.

This tells me either training staff is insufficient because they were not teaching Miller or able to get thru. Still think Bills need to get Rusty Jones as consultant.

Don't forget that he didn't join our offseason program until May last year and it wouldn't be crazy for a kid to not run through a brick wall following new trainers advice after a quick no pads minicamp.

That struck me as well, but there is no way the training staff isn't teaching him this stuff already. It reminds me of how kids' parents tell them something is good for them but it only sinks in if their friends tell them it.

Young adults not so much kids but to your point certainly at a transition time in life. I can't imagine making that flight home alone under the circumstances. That is a tough situation for anyone at any age.

Miller's play did tail off in the second half, which could be due to many factors including personal issues, "rookie wall", less than stellar play from the RT position, and possibly others. In my view, overall he outplayed his draft position. I think he is going to be fine. It will be one of the more interesting story lines to watch this year. I thought Miller looked very good at times, but he is still learning all aspects of the pro game. People need to chill a bit on Miller.

Miller's play did tail off in the second half, which could be due to many factors including personal issues, "rookie wall", less than stellar play from the RT position, and possibly others. In my view, overall he outplayed his draft position. I think he is going to be fine. It will be one of the more interesting story lines to watch this year. I thought Miller looked very good at times, but he is still learning all aspects of the pro game. People need to chill a bit on Miller.

I agree. Give the guy a chance.

As someone who has actually had Crohn's Disease since the early 90's, I would be willing to bet that as long as he takes care of himself, he will be just fine.

Never knew he had it. It doesn't seem like much of a problem to most people, but it can be pretty debilitating.

Crohn's disease is a huge problem for some who have it. Absolutely life changing disease. But most people keep it to themselves. Who wants people to hear about them constant having to take painfully urgent bowel movements?

As someone who has actually had Crohn's Disease since the early 90's, I would be willing to bet that as long as he takes care of himself, he will be just fine.

Crohn's disease is a spectrum. There's some that die from it and there's some that "need to watch their diet". Myself, I've had 5 surgeries and I'm in my 30s. I guess that anecdote negatives your anecdote. Edited by Saint Doug

And I find it embarrassing to watch people make s*** up out of thin air to try to make a point or seem superior to others.

And I find it embarrassing to watch people make s*** up out of thin air to try to make a point or seem superior to others.

Yeah, no one was ripping Darby last preseason. No one. You're the one making s*** up. But your point is so much better because you can type a swear word!

Yeah, no one was ripping Darby last preseason. No one. You're the one making s*** up. But your point is so much better because you can type a swear word!

They weren't calling him a bust. He WAS struggling last preseason.

or, his first off season as a pro, he made the decision to take his time off and train with the best of the best at his position.

That was how I remember it as well.....but it was like it was planned almost.....Rex was just throwing him out there and letting him take his lumps

Darby adjusted nicely

He had games where he was overwhelmed, learned something and went back and made himself better each time.

I have a Jets fan buddy. He has an expression he uses a lot now. "Ronald Darby, I Win!"

I think it's funny that opposing fans hate their guys being covered by him.

I think miller takes a big step this year. He delt with much last year. I can sympathize, having delt with it with my grandmother and mother in the last 3 years. Excited to see this young man rise from the fog it creates and seek guidance from some of the best in the game.

(It only appears as a fog from the outside, when the real issue is the intense focus that won't allow you to think of much else. I'm proud of the young man for handling himself well.)

Edited by JaxBills

• 1 month later...

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Stronger #Bills RG John Miller aiming for a big jump in Year 2... https://t.co/5yqcg897tj

Before the Buffalo Bills broke the huddle one play this spring, offensive line coach Aaron Kromer had a message for his front five.

“He said we have to be the ones to carry this team,” right guard John Miller said. “That’s true.”

A major piece of that puzzle will be Miller.

The left side of the offensive line is set from tackle to center. The right side of the line? Not quite. But if Miller delivers in his second season, there’s no reason this line can’t carry the Bills in 2016. A year ago, they led the NFL in rushing at 152 yards per game. This year, it’ll be counting more on the 6-foot-2, 303-pound Miller. If he can pull more, if he can take on tackles 1 on 1, Greg Roman's playbook will open up even more.

I have a Jets fan buddy. He has an expression he uses a lot now. "Ronald Darby, I Win!"

I think it's funny that opposing fans hate their guys being covered by him.

I think miller takes a big step this year. He delt with much last year. I can sympathize, having delt with it with my grandmother and mother in the last 3 years. Excited to see this young man rise from the fog it creates and seek guidance from some of the best in the game.

(It only appears as a fog from the outside, when the real issue is the intense focus that won't allow you to think of much else. I'm proud of the young man for handling himself well.)

Its life.

Its tough, but it is something we all do.

I have a great deal of hope for John , and our line this year.

I very much like Kromers attitude btw.