ESPN: Ryans planning to take control.

Sounds like Pegula hasn't done enough to keep some semblance of control of this team. Either we're going to skyrocket this season, ... [awkward pause] ..., or the management and other control of this team are on the cusp of completely unraveling.

Everyone can make their guess at which it will be. Here's a hint though, if the former, then it should have happened last season.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron,

In looking back at the thread I want to apologize to everyone as I did not read the WHOLE thread

"

The implication is that Rex is now "all in" meaning that if he is going to go down then he is going to go down "his way". "His way" means that Rex is going to surround himself with people who believe in him as a HC and in his defensive philosophy. He has added Ed Reed and vet DC Rob Ryan already, which fortifies that thought. He has also let guys like star player DE Mar. Williams fly the coup because they were not "all in". He seems seriously pissed at Mario for the way that he behaved last year.

ESPN seemed to think that if push comes to shove that the Ryans will stick together (they are very close after all) and overtake Whaley if need be in order to stay employed with the Bills and then eventually usher in THEIR choice for the new Bills' GM job"

This is the part of the thread that I was commenting on....meaning that if Rex was going to go down....he was going to do it "his way" and was gonna surround himself with people that believe in him. Bringing in his brother....bringing in his former players as coaches that were respected.

I apologize for not catching the reference to "overtaking" Whaley at the end of the post. Although I really dont see the disconnect with Rex and Whaley the way there was with Whaley and Marrone.

Thanks for clearing that up brudda. I completely agree with your last point in bold above.

Edited by Aaron

Sounds like Pegula hasn't done enough to keep some semblance of control of this team. Either we're going to skyrocket this season, ... [awkward pause] ..., or the management and other control of this team are on the cusp of completely unraveling.

Everyone can make their guess at which it will be. Here's a hint though, if the former, then it should have happened last season.

Pegula's management style is to hire people and let them do their job, until they prove they can't. That's what he's doing. It's also what he did with the Sabres.

I was curious about this, so I looked it up. Harbaugh got the Michigan job on 12/29 and Maroon quit on 12/31.

great ruin the whole thing for me lol.

I do remember saying on here back then that we should hire him anyway, oh well maybe next time.

Can you seriously not see that Rex Ryan BEGAN the rebuild?

Stop with the "no buffalo bill can ever do wrong," bull **** and get your head out of the sand.

When a HC dismantles an already successful defense, insists upon putting the success of the offense on a !@#$ing career backup, then stabs his GM's back ..... Well, my friend - that's a !@#$ing rebuild.

How did he stab Whaley in the back? (serious question)

The more I hear about the Ryan Brothers, the less optimistic I am for the '16 season... Perhaps we should just wait to see what these two (jagoffs)- come up with?... -No point in getting bummed out before training camp even starts.

this how I feel about it too, we have all season to be miserable no use making our championships (offseason) bad too.

Pegula's management style is to hire people and let them do their job, until they prove they can't. That's what he's doing. It's also what he did with the Sabres.

That's exactly right. He's a little more shrewd and nasty than his public persona but you nailed it. If either Rex or Whaley succeed in his eyes, he will be loyal to them. He really doesn't like the negativity of the press and I doubt very much that sways him at all.

This season will either be the best season we've all experienced since 1999 or the very worst.

I suppose we can look forward to it being magnanimous either way.

or we could be average again.

If there was a championship for being mediocre we would have won 13 out 15 yrs :thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I think people are making up stories. Rex and Doug seem to get along just fine.

This is kind of like Vic's supposed source who said that the Pegulas issued an ultimatum. One does not have to have an inside source (as Vic's said he had) to know that an ultimatum is not the Pegulas' style.

This is complete BS in my opinion.

Yes, it was. If memory serves me correctly, it was even discredited by one of Vic's colleagues at TBN (either Ty Dunne or TG)

Ty Dunne reported that there was no ultimatum, that several sources who know the Pegulas well said that is foreign to their style.

It wouldn't be unheard-of for one of two men who genuinely get along well to back-stab the other in order to save his hide, but it seems to me one of two things will happen:

1) Rex and Rob and the Bills win. Yea! No reason to back-stab anyone

2) Rex and Rob and the Bills lose. In that instance, do they really have the clout to get Whaley fired?

How good is Bowles if he couldn't get by such a crap coach as Rex? He beats him once and the Jets make the playoffs. So much on the line and he can't win one against a guy you'd fire? You'd take him?

Actually, what I'd like to take is the well-prepared, motivated disciplined Rex-coach team that faced the Jets twice last season. They looked sharp and they got the job done.

The problem is, we don't seem able to get him for the other 14 games.

I'd love to visit an alternate universe where Todd Bowles coaches the Bills and missed the playoffs because his team couldn't beat an allegedly inferior Jets team twice. I'd love to read the TSW comments in that universe.

It would have been a hell of a lot better than the crap we got last season from Rex.

Lol. Doesn't everyone who hires someone to run something keep them in that position until they think they can't do the job? Is there an NFL owner somewhere who likes to leave a GM or HC in place long after they lose confidence in them?

Todd Bowles the goat !! Lost to Hoyer and Tyrod twice.

Crown him

Yeah. Rex was disappointing for sure, but Bowles was awful. He was particularly terrible at game management.

It would have been a hell of a lot better than the crap we got last season from Rex.

What was our reaction to going 9-7 but missing the playoffs by losing to the Steelers third stringers? Edited by PromoTheRobot

Do you ever?

I used to. As in, every single season over the last 25 years until this year. I was the eternal optimist. This pessimism is new for me. I don't like it, either. I simply can't help it.

I used to. As in, every single season over the last 25 years until this year. I was the eternal optimist. This pessimism is new for me. I don't like it, either. I simply can't help it.

With each new head coaching hire, I usually wait and see how they do in their first year. My optimism stopped with Dick Jauron and his bonehead moves on who he hired to run his offense. He had sorta the right idea to build the greatest show on snow in Buffalo akin to the Rams greatest show on turf by hiring the OC under Rams HC Mike Martz.

But what a lot didn't know was that Steve Fairchild didn't call the offensive plays or set up the game plans for the Rams while he was there as it was all Mike Martz. Then to have 5 to 7 step drop back passing plays with a less than stellar offensive line was all about getting the QB's killed. That Mike Martz deep passing attack kept getting QB's injured. It happened in St Louis and in Detroit then on to San Fran for a bad season and finally in Chicago with Jay Cutler getting his ass handed to him. Martz has been out of the NFL since 2011.

So, not only did Jauron not get it right in hiring Fairchild. He then promoted the QB coaches under Fairchild to OC after Failchild left to be a college HC after one season. Just a bad offensive scheme year after year with OC's that had no clue.

Chan Gailey screwed it up by proclaiming that Trent Edwards was his starter only to cut him outright after two games. Gailey was so very lucky that Fitzpatrick was even on the team because Chan stated that Fitz, Edwards, and Brian Brohm were all about the same. Fitz came in of relief of Edwards and all he did was run for his life because bonehead Buddy Nix brought in bums for the O-line. Anyone else remember Cornell Green? The 2010 Buffalo Bills started that season 0-8 and finished 4-12. Jauron managed to do better with JP Losman and Trent Edwards at QB.

Marrone comes in and had basically three rookie QB's on the roster with no QB coach to help guide them and no senior QB. That year Doug Whaley replaced a decent OG Andy Levitre with Colin Brown who lasted 6 games before being cut from the team. Brown was another one of Buddy's pickups. Marrone's first year at 6-10 because his choice for OC was even worse than Jauron's. I get the impression that Marrone walked away because he had no real input with the roster and Whaley and Brandon are steering the ship.

Now Rex Ryan gets fired in NY after a 4-12 season but since he is a defensive genius he gets the benefit of the doubt after being hired by these new owners... and what happens? He destroys an all pro D-line while simultaneously creating strife among those pro bowl players by running a scheme they mostly hate.

I couldn't make this crap up if I wanted to. It's like stupidity runs rampant year after year at OBD and now it may not ever end with these new owners calling the shots on who to hire as head coach and the Ryan Bros safe as a tick on a dog with a stiff neck.

Lol. Doesn't everyone who hires someone to run something keep them in that position until they think they can't do the job? Is there an NFL owner somewhere who likes to leave a GM or HC in place long after they lose confidence in them?

There's a lot of owners who like to meddle in the jobs of the people they hire, like Rex's old owner, Woody Johnson.

With each new head coaching hire, I usually wait and see how they do in their first year. My optimism stopped with Dick Jauron and his bonehead moves on who he hired to run his offense. He had sorta the right idea to build the greatest show on snow in Buffalo akin to the Rams greatest show on turf by hiring the OC under Rams HC Mike Martz.

But what a lot didn't know was that Steve Fairchild didn't call the offensive plays or set up the game plans for the Rams while he was there as it was all Mike Martz. Then to have 5 to 7 step drop back passing plays with a less than stellar offensive line was all about getting the QB's killed. That Mike Martz deep passing attack kept getting QB's injured. It happened in St Louis and in Detroit then on to San Fran for a bad season and finally in Chicago with Jay Cutler getting his ass handed to him. Martz has been out of the NFL since 2011.

So, not only did Jauron not get it right in hiring Fairchild. He then promoted the QB coaches under Fairchild to OC after Failchild left to be a college HC after one season. Just a bad offensive scheme year after year with OC's that had no clue.

Chan Gailey screwed it up by proclaiming that Trent Edwards was his starter only to cut him outright after two games. Gailey was so very lucky that Fitzpatrick was even on the team because Chan stated that Fitz, Edwards, and Brian Brohm were all about the same. Fitz came in of relief of Edwards and all he did was run for his life because bonehead Buddy Nix brought in bums for the O-line. Anyone else remember Cornell Green? The 2010 Buffalo Bills started that season 0-8 and finished 4-12. Jauron managed to do better with JP Losman and Trent Edwards at QB.

Marrone comes in and had basically three rookie QB's on the roster with no QB coach to help guide them and no senior QB. That year Doug Whaley replaced a decent OG Andy Levitre with Colin Brown who lasted 6 games before being cut from the team. Brown was another one of Buddy's pickups. Marrone's first year at 6-10 because his choice for OC was even worse than Jauron's. I get the impression that Marrone walked away because he had no real input with the roster and Whaley and Brandon are steering the ship.

Now Rex Ryan gets fired in NY after a 4-12 season but since he is a defensive genius he gets the benefit of the doubt after being hired by these new owners... and what happens? He destroys an all pro D-line while simultaneously creating strife among those pro bowl players by running a scheme they mostly hate.

I couldn't make this crap up if I wanted to. It's like stupidity runs rampant year after year at OBD and now it may not ever end with these new owners calling the shots on who to hire as head coach and the Ryan Bros safe as a tick on a dog with a stiff neck.

ug that is depressing :bag:

i had to circle back to this because all in all these coaches got beat up by the national media who told us we were going to be average at best. mularky got some good reviews.

marrone seemed to have more optimism garnered to him by the national guys than ryan. that scares me.

i had to circle back to this because all in all these coaches got beat up by the national media who told us we were going to be average at best. mularky got some good reviews.

marrone seemed to have more optimism garnered to him by the national guys than ryan. that scares me.

I will defend Rex here because he is not worse than weirdo phony jerk autocrat Marrone. So he had the same agent as a dweeb who steals medical reports. So what. He was still God awful and Rex, although a coach with demonstrable terrible results and an adherence to an antiquated system, is still someone I'd take 100 times before taking Marrone.

A lot of the above flows from the previous regime's dictum that having a positive cash flow is more important than winning. Rex doesn't have that excuse. Whaley has been taking risks and coming up sevens more than twos and Rex has had everything he could reasonably ask for.

I don't put much stock in ESPN but if this rumor is true it does go along with the Rex Ryan Circus Show. BTW it drives me crazy when people call him a defensive genius, whatever he did right 10 years ago doesn't work anymore and the fact he cant evolve his scheme makes me wonder if it was ever really his to begin with.

I will defend Rex here because he is not worse than weirdo phony jerk autocrat Marrone. So he had the same agent as a dweeb who steals medical reports. So what. He was still God awful and Rex, although a coach with demonstrable terrible results and an adherence to an antiquated system, is still someone I'd take 100 times before taking Marrone.

that wasn't a slight against marrone.

in a perfect world we would have kept marrone one more year to get where i believe we needed to be as a team then bring in the right guy this year - knowing we would have been cusp of playoffs or playoff loser.

I wont argue with you there but I nevertheless I would have fired Rex after the London game, taken the losing season and higher draft pick, and hired a new HC in January. Wade Phillips anyone?

that wasn't a slight against marrone.

in a perfect world we would have kept marrone one more year to get where i believe we needed to be as a team then bring in the right guy this year - knowing we would have been cusp of playoffs or playoff loser.

I think that was Pegs' plan but Marrone wouldn't play.

Any bills HC who treats the bills front office secretary like crap deserves nothing but bad fortune......

Rex Haters can't wait to lose the first three games of the season

Lame o's.

Go Bills!!

kinda weird right ?

but whatevs

You both know that this is complete and utter bull crap. Why someone always feels the need to post this boggles my mind which is further boggled by those agreeing with the statement.

Not liking something, even many somethings about how the team is run, its personnel, its coaches, its FO does not equate to wanting the team to lose. Please drop this load of crap.