Doug Whaley comments going viral

Like I said, talk to Darryl Talley, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Joe Dellamaure, Fred Smerlas, Shane Nelson, Keith Everett. Look at Kent Hull's untimely death, Jr Seau's. The NFL is being sued! What do you not get about how dangerous this sport is and how little the NFL has done to fix this until recently. I love the game but that doesn't mean that maybe it should do more to stop life altering changes to human beings. I guarantee you it was Roger Goodell who made Whaley back track his statement today. He broke the NFL Integrity Rule by implicating the NFL to his own moral feelings about humans playing the sport of football. I am willing to bet the NFL will take action!

The NFL WAS sued. It's a done deal. It's over, settlements are being paid. Where you're categorically wrong is over WHAT. Not because the NFL hid the fact that it's a dangerous sport (what Whaley) said. It was specifically over their treatment (or lack-thereof) of concussions and their impact on players and relevance to the game. You have repeatedly conflated this with what Whaley said and you are entirely wrong to draw a correlation. Period.

EDIT: But let's back up. You're willing to bet? What are you willing to bet? That the NFL will sue Doug Whaley and the Bills over this? Please state your wager.

Human beings weren't built to play football? What, all the pads and helmets weren't clue enough?

GO BILLS!!!

Ding ding.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. The fact that the "legal" side of this has been hammered to mush by fans clawing for a reason why this would be significant does not suddenly make it so.

Right?! Like the legal part has been beaten to death. It has nothing to do with anything. People have to realize what Doug Whaley said would be like LeBron James saying that Nike hires people to make sneakers in South East Asia in unbearable conditions.

The NFL WAS sued. It's a done deal. It's over, settlements are being paid. Where you're categorically wrong is over WHAT. Not because the NFL hid the fact that it's a dangerous sport (what Whaley) said. It was specifically over their treatment (or lack-thereof) of concussions and their impact on players and relevance to the game. You have repeatedly conflated this with what Whaley said and you are entirely wrong to draw a correlation. Period.

EDIT: But let's back up. You're willing to bet? What are you willing to bet? That the NFL will sue Doug Whaley and the Bills over this? Please state your wager.

Ding ding.

https://www.nflconcussionsettlement.com/

On April 18, 2016, the Third Circuit affirmed the District Court’s order in full. On April 28, 2016, certain objecting Settlement Class Members filed a Petition for Rehearing En Banc asking the Third Circuit to reconsider the appeal. If that petition is denied, the objecting Settlement Class Members still may seek review by the United States Supreme Court. The Settlement will not become effective until after all possible appeals are resolved in favor of the Settlement or the time to appeal has run out.

This is like a hospital CEO coming out and saying hospital's kill people. Stupid is as stupid does. Whaley should be fired! He can then do the talk circuit and explain what he means. He should have added in his 2016 Media rules that all dumb statements from GM be censored quickly!

No it would be him saying that people die in hospitals. Totally true, but maybe not a good choice of words.

No it would be him saying that people die in hospitals. Totally true, but maybe not a good choice of words.

No it would be like him being asked why johnny broke his arm, and Whaley saying "well climbing fences and jumping out of trees are a part of life, and it is a dangerous game, personally I don't think humans are supposed to jump out of trees, And these things are going to come up. But we trust in our medical care and trust that Johnny will do what he has to do to get back outside climbing trees and jumping out of them"

Whaley doesn't think kids should play outside!

This is all a smoke screen to get people to stop talking about his misleading statements about Shaq's health and ability to play.

I have to laugh at Bills fans who are constantly looking for an ax to grind, and go to great lengths to find that ax

No it would be like him being asked why johnny broke his arm, and Whaley saying "well climbing fences and jumping out of trees are a part of life, and it is a dangerous game, personally I don't think humans are supposed to jump out of trees, And these things are going to come up. But we trust in our medical care and trust that Johnny will do what he has to do to get back outside climbing trees and jumping out of them"

Whaley doesn't think kids should play outside!

What I read from that is that Whaley hates trees! Or maybe even nature!? Or, HOLY CRAPPER, DOUG WHALEY HATES THE EARTH!!! O_O

I have to laugh at Bills fans who are constantly looking for an ax to grind, and go to great lengths to find that ax

no ****...I've heard that phrase uttered dozens of times by commentators and broadcasters over the years...jeez it's like he uttered the unspeakable. BFD.

As much as I love having the internet, TBD, and getting as much info about my favorite team as possible, part of me longs for the old days

where very little of what went on within the building at One Bills Drive was ever made public. Back then, we never would have heard about

the team's media policy, we wouldn't be worried about or maybe even know about injuries and surgeries until at least August, and something

(stupid or not) being said by the GM of a football team in May wouldn't cause a stir at all.

No wonder the team is restricting the media more, look at how they've handled these last few stories. It is always in an accusing, over-reacting,

and exploitative manner. And we, as the public, are no better when we react to it (and we have all been guilty of this at times, be it with the Biils,

politics, religion, race, etc.).

This is all Much Ado About Nothing.

If you really want to nit pick, Bills win pct since he's been GM: .479 vs. the rest of the playoff drought: .394

Since he's been Asst GM/GM they are .406. If you think that's actually good, then I am not sure what to say. But that is not the sign of a good GM. Even since he's been GM alone sub .500 isn't good. We continue to spin in the septic tank and now we have a GM opening his flap about why the players should even play. The legal crap has all been covered. But if he spent less time demoralizing the team, pissing off multiple coaches and trying to undermine them we might have been successful already. Instead, you seem to be happy with no playoffs, no light in sight and an idiot as a talking head of this team.

Since he's been Asst GM/GM they are .406. If you think that's actually good, then I am not sure what to say. But that is not the sign of a good GM. Even since he's been GM alone sub .500 isn't good. We continue to spin in the septic tank and now we have a GM opening his flap about why the players should even play. The legal crap has all been covered. But if he spent less time demoralizing the team, pissing off multiple coaches and trying to undermine them we might have been successful already. Instead, you seem to be happy with no playoffs, no light in sight and an idiot as a talking head of this team.

Are we really assigning W-L records to assistants now? Good lord.

As much as I love having the internet, TBD, and getting as much info about my favorite team as possible, part of me longs for the old days

where very little of what went on within the building at One Bills Drive was ever made public. Back then, we never would have heard about

the team's media policy, we wouldn't be worried about or maybe even know about injuries and surgeries until at least August, and something

(stupid or not) being said by the GM of a football team in May wouldn't cause a stir at all.

No wonder the team is restricting the media more, look at how they've handled these last few stories. It is always in an accusing, over-reacting,

and exploitative manner. And we, as the public, are no better when we react to it (and we have all been guilty of this at times, be it with the Biils,

politics, religion, race, etc.).

This is all Much Ado About Nothing.

Each individual issue we've seen the last few weeks isn't a huge deal in a vacuum, but collectively they're starting to paint an ugly picture. How much stuff has Whaley, Rex and the team had to walk back lately? Just off the top of my head there's:

- Whaley's comment regarding people not being built to play football. Walked back with a very league-approved "clarification".

- Whaley's comment about getting 3 immediate starters from the draft (an odd thing for a GM to say since the coaching staff selects starters). D'oh!

- Whaley's response that there was no concern regarding Lawson's shoulder when questioned about it immediately following his selection. Whoops!

- The Bills immediately revising their new media rules when some of the dumber rules were questioned.

- Rex's decision to introduce Trump at his WNY rally, which led the team to release a statement distancing themselves from his appearance at the event.

The Bills have looked very incompetent recently. It's like no one is stopping to think before doing anything. I'd love to know how the Pegulas are reacting to all of this. It can't be good.

...The Bills have looked very incompetent recently. It's like no one is stopping to think before doing anything. I'd love to know how the Pegulas are reacting to all of this. It can't be good.

There will come a time when the Pegulas part ways with GMs, coaches, etc. But in the meantime, what do you think informs them more about Whaley, the brief soundbytes or the day in, day out interactions they've had since becoming his employer?

GO BILLS!!!

There will come a time when the Pegulas part ways with GMs, coaches, etc. But in the meantime, what do you think informs them more about Whaley, the brief soundbytes or the day in, day out interactions they've had since becoming his employer?

GO BILLS!!!

Obviously they have a lot of interaction with the man and I'm not hanging him here - plus there seems to be a lot more responsible parties than just him. I guess I didn't finish my thought on the Pegulas. They have to be concerned about recent events and I would naturally expect that to lead to them tightening the ship. That's what I'd hope would happen at least.

Each individual issue we've seen the last few weeks isn't a huge deal in a vacuum, but collectively they're starting to paint an ugly picture. How much stuff has Whaley, Rex and the team had to walk back lately? Just off the top of my head there's:

- Whaley's comment regarding people not being built to play football. Walked back with a very league-approved "clarification".

- Whaley's comment about getting 3 immediate starters from the draft (an odd thing for a GM to say since the coaching staff selects starters). D'oh!

- Whaley's response that there was no concern regarding Lawson's shoulder when questioned about it immediately following his selection. Whoops!

- The Bills immediately revising their new media rules when some of the dumber rules were questioned.

- Rex's decision to introduce Trump at his WNY rally, which led the team to release a statement distancing themselves from his appearance at the event.

The Bills have looked very incompetent recently. It's like no one is stopping to think before doing anything. I'd love to know how the Pegulas are reacting to all of this. It can't be good.

I wouldn't assume the Pegula's are overblowing this to the magnitude you are.

9 or 10 wins and playoffs and you think any of this matters. I don't think so.

I can't figure out why people are freaking out about this. He wasn't saying the NFL shouldn't exist. He was saying that the human body was not created to play football. The human body did not evolve for the purpose of playing football. That is all.

Stop with the insults. Whaley isn't an idiot biting the hand that feeds him. Consider the context of the conversation and the rest of what he said.

Jesus, some people are just sitting around waiting for people to screw up so they can pounce. Let it go.

You sir should be banned for making sense

:doh: :doh: :doh: Resources like what? EA Madden player scores?? Seriously, You honestly believe being an evaluator of talent is something anyone can do?? I mean if everyone here does it so it, any moron can, right?

How did I know that you would come in and insult the fans?

You shouldn't be a Bills Fan. You ruin almost every thread on this board by coming in and insulting other fans.

You should root for the patsies. Maybe their fans would be able to reach your lofty expectations.

Obviously they have a lot of interaction with the man and I'm not hanging him here - plus there seems to be a lot more responsible parties than just him. I guess I didn't finish my thought on the Pegulas. They have to be concerned about recent events and I would naturally expect that to lead to them tightening the ship. That's what I'd hope would happen at least.

I doubt they are concerned by recent events as depicted by an over-zealous, over-reaching media; especially the local media the Pegulas have effectively frozen out since buying the Sabres. I think they can look at the Lawson surgery, Sammy's broken foot, and overreaction to the media policy in a completely rational manner.

GO BILLS!!!

If you really want to nit pick, Bills win pct since he's been GM: .479 vs. the rest of the playoff drought: .394

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain how this will be used in court. Please be the first.

I've explained it. If you want a lengthier explanation, feel free to PM me. I try cases for a living.

You sir should be banned for making sense

He's already admitted, himself, that he was an idiot for saying it the way he did...

Whaley's right and everyone knows it too. Human beings weren't built to crash into each other they way NFL players do. Injuries are inevitable. That doesn't mean that the NFL or football shouldn't exist. There are sports like boxing and MMA where the GOAL of the sport is to injury other participants. As long as the risks are transparent, what's the big deal? Cut him some slack.

Given the context in which Whaley was speaking, what he said wasn't entirely accurate. It's true that the human body endures weekly trauma in the NFL that most of us don't experience. However, the vast majority of players exit games injury-free. What Whaley should've said was that Sammy Watkins's body wasn't meant to play football.

Putting the legalities of his statement aside, because they are unclear, Whaley statement is undoubtedly injurious (no pun intended) to the NFL's reputation and future. Imagine if you're a kid and an NFL GM comes out and says the human body shouldn't be playing football? Couple that with the number of high profile players walking away prematurely, Goodell had to have Whaley on the phone after that statement.

Edited by Saint Doug

Whaley's right and everyone knows it too. Human beings weren't built to crash into each other they way NFL players do. Injuries are inevitable. That doesn't mean that the NFL or football shouldn't exist. There are sports like boxing and MMA where the GOAL of the sport is to injury other participants. As long as the risks are transparent, what's the big deal? Cut him some slack.

blood sport

its all about the wager and the fight till the death. goes back to the Romans and before.

what idiot fights a lion ?

one who values money. There is a reason NFL pays players so much.

this is so basic

While I won't defend Whaley's inability to know what to say and what not to say when he has a microphone in front of him, when you come right down to it, the reaction to his statement is more ridiculous than the statement itself.

It's really not. Especially given that there's truth to his words. You think kids aren't now going to think twice whether they want to suit up or not? Whaley's right. And he happens to be pointing out the obvious. But sometimes people need the obvious pointed out before making rational decisions.

There is a reason NFL pays players so much.

this is so basic

Are you suggesting they are paid millions in exchange for their future mental and physical well being? Let's be frank. I don't know if you are a father or not, but would you want your son to play in the NFL, making millions, only to be a cripple when he's 50?

I wish we could fight the Lions every other week. But then, they might make the playoffs......

Humans are not built to be recorded, scrutinized out of context and get grilled on the minutia of every sentence uttered.

well i must inquire by now. what are humans built for ?

I think it's not that at all. Naturally all of the ex-players who are now commentators and journalists are going to flame him and defend the game. I'm sure your well versed on the CTE dilemma the league is facing and many believe that puts the future of the game in doubt. So having a high profile NFL employee, 1/32, a general manager whom is in charge of employing Humans to play the game...a misstep like that is not only sloppy I'm sure some in the legal office would say it hurts their cause going forward.

I'm sure we all agree he mix matched words and didn't get his point across the way he intended, but word for word he put something out there that shouldn't be.

"Commonsense" LOL.

Are you suggesting they are paid millions in exchange for their future mental and physical well being? Let's be frank. I don't know if you are a father or not, but would you want your son to play in the NFL, making millions, only to be a cripple when he's 50?

yes i am saying exactly that !!

My Son played Pop Warner for 3 years and was some of our best memories together. He decided to no longer play once in high school.

I have 3 adult daughters and grandson. We teach to live healthy and happy.

To all my children we have taught that neither money nor glory is the end game. but they are free to choose. And they will have our full support.

is that what you are asking me?

They aren't your children.

blood sport

its all about the wager and the fight till the death. goes back to the Romans and before.

what idiot fights a lion ?

one who values money. There is a reason NFL pays players so much.

this is so basic

Pretty sure the people who fought the Lions in Roman times didn't do it for the money and were killed.