RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

I did a consensus Big Board a few days ago including Pro Football Focus, NFL.com, CBS.com, Great Blue North, and Draft Breakdown Consensus...Shaq came out at #11 overall...We got him at #19...That's about as good value as you can hope for in the 1st Round... B-)

He needs shoulder surgery that will require 4-6 months of rehab once done.... Oh but it can wait until AFTER the season.

Does that make any sense?

If imagine there are plenty of procedures that have high recovery times but are generally low risk to play through. Any given Sunday you likely see a ton of guys in that boat.

So what the !@#$ is Schefter talking about?

Again, lots of guys playing dinged because the risk of flare up is low but recovery time high. He will need to have his shoulder cleaned up at some point and next offseason as a low mileage guy with a full NFL offseason is a prime time to do it--- so it will likely get done

how did mario's poor play truly impact how ****ty we were on defense?

hint: it didn't.

teams still passed all over our middle. ran up the gut of the defense.

so, again, DE not needed. LB needed. we both agree. lawson may have been bpa or close but there were better picks considering his shoulder issue, his size and frame.

i am fine with this pick. he's going to be alright but i'd much rather have gone a different direction, like treadwell, lee (who would be ideal for safety and linebacker), butler or even jack based solely on positional value to this scheme.

You're in 4-man front most of the time anyway, so we needed a 2nd edge rusher to line up at DE opposite Hughes. The fact that he has a big body and is powerful, can 2 gap and set the edge against the run = cha ching. I think its a perfect fit and love this pick.

Schefter is full of hot air. I'm sure Brady and McNally can help him out with that.

Sounds like Shaq's shoulder is something teams found in the e v a l's but it was something that wasn't affecting his play. I remember two quick sacks vs. Bama before he aggravated his knee injury.

You're in 4-man front most of the time anyway, so we needed a 2nd edge rusher to line up at DE opposite Hughes. The fact that he has a big body and is powerful, can 2 gap and set the edge against the run = cha ching. I think its a perfect fit and love this pick.

ryan doesn't rush the edge...

I'm excited about the pick just worried about the shoulder

Edit: saw the above post after I posted. Sounds like less of a big deal than the commentators were letting on

Shoulders are no big deal now a days. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries 2 on the right one on the left. Each shoulder has been cut to the bone and right shoulder needed 250 stitches to reattach muscle and such. Right shoulder had a 1 1/2 " tear in the labrum and a torn capsule. I have almost 100% mobility and have never been stronger. They were all performed in the late 90's and I rarely even think about them I have no pain whats so ever.