RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Ok, lets say he doesn't come back until November. Does that make him a bust? Especially since the assumption is that after the surgery it shouldn't be an issue?

Injuries suck, but if they are expecting this guy to be at least a solid starter for years to come, I don't know why people are freaking out about missing a little time.

It means that Rex Ryan will be missing a critical piece of his defense in a critical year for Rex. It increases the odds that Rex is fired at the end of the season and a new defensive system is brought in, making Lawson less of a fit... it's not good.

There's no way you can tell your fan base that even though you haven't made the playoffs in forever and just lost two defensive starters that your #1 pick is a guy that won't even contribute this season. Not if you want to continue to sell tickets.

Besides, I suspect that they hoped he could play this season and get whatever surgery he needed next off season so he didn't miss time. Their medical staff "cleared him" after all.

I disagree.

If they knew surgery was inevitable in the short term, before the season, they should have headed off any controversy at the pass. Would have been easy for any reasonable fan to understand.

But as I've said several times now, the fact that he played at a high level his entire career, and especially in his last season in college, the idea that he could play another season before surgery makes a lot of sense, so I agree that the Bills thought he could play this season.

Ticket sales wouldn't have suffered regardless. Not a chance.

GO BILLS!!!

There's no way you can tell your fan base that even though you haven't made the playoffs in forever and just lost two defensive starters that your #1 pick is a guy that won't even contribute this season. Not if you want to continue to sell tickets.

Besides, I suspect that they hoped he could play this season and get whatever surgery he needed next off season so he didn't miss time. Their medical staff "cleared him" after all.

won't contribute this season? Weren't you the one saying the negative nancy's can accurately interpret the facts? (in a sarcastic manner anyway.)

No, it's all good news today. The only bad news come from the "Negative Nacy's", and that's only because they have character flaws and can't properly interpit the facts.

Yep, you were.

Edited by What a Tuel

Which is why they should've brought in cheap veteran players on short term deals to fill that role rather then draft rookies for a system.

I'll assume they'll bring a veteran player in to replace Lawson. Calvin Pace?

Either way you look at it, it doesn't look good for anybody.

I can accept that, but that doesn't mean people can spew nonsensical conjecture and expect to go unchallenged.

Agents never deliberately deceive NFL executives in order to get their clients drafted and earn more money .

Sincerely,

Drew Rosenhaus

All of prospects have medical information that is widely available to every NFL team. Please stop posting inaccurate information that simply does not add up.

won't contribute this season? Weren't you the one saying the negative nancy's can accurately interpret the facts? (in a sarcastic manner anyway.)

So you think a rookie is going to come in, miss all of OTAs, training camp and the first few games of the season and then turn into a solid contributor for that year? Do you think that might be wishfully thinking? Or are there some secret facts that you know and aren't sharing? Edited by vincec

Do people realize that there is a difference between upper body injuries and lower body injuries in football?

Depends if the player is standing on his head or not at the time of injury.

GO BILLS!!!

Well everything is speculation. The Bills tell you one thing but it could be them simply trying to cover their ass as best they can here.

They took a calculated risk that he could get through the 2016 season w/o any medical intervention as he did all through his Clemson career. It did not go according to their plan, so they fix it now and get him back at 100% health as soon as possible. It is what it is.

All of prospects have medical information that is widely available to every NFL team. Please stop posting inaccurate information that simply does not add up.

The Jacksonville Jaguars red flagged his shoulder- that is accurate. The guy gets drafted in the 1st round then needs surgery less than 3 weeks later. Don't be so naive.

The bills might STILL be the smartest person in the room.....

If this is why he dropped out of being a top 10 pick (which is where he was slotted to go) and he has the surgery and moves on with his career to have a productive one....then the initial time he misses this year WILL NOT MATTER.

Shaq had better be star.

A mother effing star when he returns.

What fools.

Shaq had better be star.

A mother effing star when he returns.

What fools.

Are you saying he needs to be more of a star than he would have needed to have been previously?

GO BILLS!!!