RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

I saw it once. That was enough, thanks. Speaking of 2015, it's a great example of posters ripping those with a more realistic view of the team. Either you're a Pollyanna or ridiculed. Take a couple of my predictions for 2015:

- My Bills season projection was that they'd make the playoffs, but lose in the WC round. I got ripped by some for saying that they wouldn't win a playoff game and for saying that they weren't good enough to compete for a title. My projection was actually better than what they achieved, but I was considered to be negative.

- I thought the Rex hire was excellent and that he'd have the defense playing great. I expected a top defense by the end of the season, giving some early leeway for players learning a new system. I way overestimated him and his ability to tailor his defense to the talent. So now think I was wrong based on his performance and that of the defense. But I guess I'm not supposed to take what I see into consideration. If I don't see how super-awesome Rex is, I shouldn't post on here. Or I should just wait until he's on his way out and then we can all bash him together!

Sorry, rose colored glasses shouldn't be required to post here and some people should really take theirs off before ripping people who are correct a whole lot more than they are.

While I know you have been ripped for actually decent insight, it is posts like this that get people tired of the negativity and wooest me attitude, and they just don't want to hear it.

So teams knew this was an issue but the Bills feel it was not. But this doesn't reek of incompetence?

#wastedpick #fragile #failurecontinuesunabated

There's tons more, but the going trend is the "dooooomed" attitude towards every single piece of bad news. Shaq Lawson will not be a wasted pick. The front office is not incompetent because negative fans are attributing their own ignorance of the facts to the front office.

what pisses me of is this...

Whaley says repeatedly 3 day one starters, right off the Bus.

So at that point he is completely confident about lawson playing.

Something is amiss here.

Drs PR Whaley??

That is my issue

Sorry, rose colored glasses shouldn't be required to post here and some people should really take theirs off before ripping people who are correct a whole lot more than they are.

Your begging the question is ironic. You are just as dismissive of opposing views as those you criticize.

And no one is more or less correct about an upcoming season that hasn't happened.

Nor are past seasons with different players, owner, and general manager indicative of the future, though apparently blanket pessimism is "realist."

Does anyone know what the injury actually is?

Slight labrum tear. He'd been playing with it throughout his college career while wearing a brace. It's not a coincidence that he aggravated the injury when not wearing a brace.

GO BILLS!!!

Something is amiss here.

Drs PR Whaley??

Or maybe they thought he was going to be able to play, but he got re-injured and now needs (well, had) surgery.

Not sure that's the case, but it's as plausible as any other theory...

Something is amiss here.

Drs PR Whaley??

That is my issue

Whaley was out of line. I get he was enthusiastic about his draft, but naming starters is not in his purview.

GO BILLS!!!

Or maybe they thought he was going to be able to play, but he got re-injured and now needs (well, had) surgery.

Not sure that's the case, but it's as plausible as any other theory...

Of course they thought he could play just as he played with the injury throughout his college career and at a very high level, especially his senior season. It was a calculated risk.

GO BILLS!!!

Also thought this was relevant from the locked thread, a caller on GR55 talking about this type of injury (but we don't know if it's EXACTLY the same) posed by Fadingpain:

http://media.wgr550....wson-injury.htm

Interesting phone call to S&B from earlier today.

Caller (who had a SLAP tear in each of his shoulders himself) asserts Shaq has a SLAP tear; would have been diagnosed in 1 minute by competent doctor; guarantees the Bills knew of this on draft day; Bills have decided to fix it now rather than later; Shaq will be useless for 3 months while arm is in sling; once fully recovered his shoulder should be 100% with full strength and with little chance of recurrence.

Also some good banter in that thread about how long recovery from a SLAP tear takes.

Just wanted to continue to stir the pot :D:beer:

Something is amiss here.

Drs PR Whaley??

That is my issue

Things change. The thing is that you guys assume the doctors are so incompetent that they found whatever the 2nd time around? If they didn't know, then how did they find out? It is more likely, that they probably didn't like something during rookie minicamp or the practice dummy thing is legitimate, and they said let's just get this done now.

There doesn't need to be some underlying conspiracy to deceive us. I trust the Bills organization is making the best moves for the long term success of Lawson.

Edited by What a Tuel

The 2015 19th overall pick signed a 4 year 9.4M contract with a 5.1M signing bonus. At a 5% increase, Buffalo probably needs to pay SL almost 10M with about a 5.5M bonus.

I'm sure TPegs is thrilled to shell out this money. Just like I'm sure he's satisfied with his GM and HC who sold him on damaged goods that will miss the entire off-season and at least 2 games.

All this for a team that's been in win-now mode since 2014 without, of course, actually winning.

Keep pounding that drum. 17-15 with a bad QB (EJ/Orton) and a first time starter (Tyrod). Pegula doesn't mind the bonus.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Things change. The thing is that you guys assume the doctors are so incompetent that they found whatever the 2nd time around? If they didn't know, then how did they find out? It is more likely, that they probably didn't like something during rookie minicamp or the practice dummy thing is legitimate, and they said let's just get this done now.

There doesn't need to be some underlying conspiracy to deceive us. I trust the Bills organization is making the best moves for the long term success of Lawson.

Don't "you guys" me . I dont care for that.

I have not spoken about conspiracy, and you are quite defensive.

I am pointing out, there is a disconnect. You can imagine all you wish.

The message was clear and loud.

and now the message has changed.

I am glad you have thought all this out weighed the most likely outcome and have pronounced your self correct.

and it may well be that simple.

OOPS !

Don't "you guys" me . I dont care for that.

I have not spoken about conspiracy, and you are quite defensive.

I am pointing out, there is a disconnect. You can imagine all you wish.

The message was clear and loud.

and now the message has changed.

I am glad you have thought all this out weighed the most likely outcome and have pronounced your self correct.

and it may well be that simple.

OOPS !

I'm not defensive. I'm just throwing my opinion out there like everyone else. The "you guys" was for everyone who is "pissed off by this" as if they were misled. Sammy Watkins is a starter as well, whose circumstances changed because he broke his foot. The same could have easily happened with Lawson. He could have aggravated it, or the Bills staff didn't like the way it was looking and said let's get this surgery over with. Like someone else said, its as plausible theory as any other one, so there isn't much to be "pissed about". To each their own though. Apologies if I offended.

I'm not defensive. I'm just throwing my opinion out there like everyone else. The "you guys" was for everyone who is "pissed off by this" as if they were misled. Sammy Watkins is a starter as well, whose circumstances changed because he broke his foot. The same could have easily happened with Lawson. He could have aggravated it, or the Bills staff didn't like the way it was looking and said let's get this surgery over with. Like someone else said, its as plausible theory as any other one, so there isn't much to be "pissed about". To each their own though. Apologies if I offended.

No you did not offend me. Thanks.

I don't get the outrage. The Bills/Doctors didn't miss anything. They knew the shoulder was injured, but were betting on it lasting through this season, then were planning on getting it taken care of next offseason. He was going to be a starter if he was on the field, which was the plan. Where is the problem in saying that? They never felt it was a career ending injury, and felt he was a special player long term (even at the risk of him missing some time short term due to the injury). I fail to see how this all adds up to the Bills doctors and front office being morons and incompetent.