RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Shaq will be a good player for the Bills I believe, but an immediate game changing impact player like Bennett I don't think anyone is expecting.

I agree. I think he has All Pro potential. He's an athletic man for his size and played exceptionally well with one bad wing his entire college career.

But some of the ladies from the knitting group seem to be demanding nothing less! Cause, you know, we were duped!

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. I think he has All Pro potential. He's an athletic man for his size and played exceptionally well with one bad wing his entire college career.

But some of the ladies from the knitting group seem to be demanding nothing less! Cause, you know, we were duped!

GO BILLS!!!

Well of course the Bills were duped. Deservedly so since they don't do any research on prospects, but instead rely on the word of agents and expert draft guides. Rank amateurs. :rolleyes:

i didn't underestimate anything. I realize the value of those things. It would better if he didn't miss anything, obviously. I was indicating he will be able to be involved in a lot. And, he will be medically cleared to practice before he plays in the games.

You realize that he will not be cleared and then start the following Sunday like some 5 year, pro-bowl veteran right? If the Bills are lucky, then after he is cleared after 4 or 5 weeks he will gradually be worked into some contributing role and then maybe in 4 or 5 more weeks he will start a game.

I realize that it's not the end of the world but I don't see how he can be much of a factor for the first half of the season.

Edited by vincec

so he will be back vs Rams in LA or Niners at home

it might be his agent who is the source. Rapaport tweeted same time frame this morning.

If it's Shaq's agent, would you expect him to be optimistic or pessimistic about his return?

The good news I suppose is that it's easier to maintain leg and core muscle and cardio conditioning while rehabbing a shoulder

You realize that he will not be cleared and then start the following Sunday like some 5 year, pro-bowl veteran right? If the Bills are lucky, then after he is cleared after 4 or 5 weeks he will gradually be worked into some contributing role and then maybe in 4 or 5 more weeks he will start a game.

I realize that it's not the end of the world but I don't see how he can be much of a factor for the first half of the season.

yes, I realize that. If it is the case that they expect him to miss 4-5 games, they would also expect him to be cleared to practice in the weeks prior to that 5th/6th game.

The source didn't say he wouldn't be cleared until then, but that was how many "games" he was expected to miss.

That would be consistent with the 4 month time frame that is on the short end of the 4-6 month range projected. If it did come from the agent, it makes sense he would use the short end. 4 months falls at Week 2. The source expects him to be cleared to practice prior to games 3 and 4, and then ready to play week 4 or 6. The short end of the time frame is also the likely outcome for a 21 year old elite athlete with NFL trainers and rehab.

Edited by YoloinOhio

That game is indelibly etched in my mind. Bennett's first snap and Elway running for his life and then calling timeout two snaps later because nobody could stop Biscuit. He played like he was shot out of a cannon.

As for Lawson, I'd be happy if he could just get in and get his feet wet. I have no expectations he will come close to doing what Bennett did. Sure would be nice, though, wouldn't it?

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. I was more referencing the ability to come in late and still be 'ok'....as opposed to expecting Shaq to be Bisquit 2.

That was a great game. Good times man...good times.

yes, I realize that. If it is the case that they expect him to miss 4-5 games, they would also expect him to be cleared to practice in the weeks prior to that 5th/6th game.

The source didn't say he wouldn't be cleared until then, but that was how many "games" he was expected to miss.

That would be consistent with the 4 month time frame that is on the short end of the 4-6 month range projected. If it did come from the agent, it makes sense he would use the short end. 4 months falls at Week 2. The source expects him to be cleared to practice prior to games 3 and 4, and then ready to play week 4 or 6. The short end of the time frame is also the likely outcome for a 21 year old elite athlete with NFL trainers and rehab.

I'd sit him until 2017. He will be in this year with a recent injury and recovery, go against a 325# lineman coming at him full speed and blow it out again, maybe some permanent damage

I'd sit him until 2017. He will be in this year with a recent injury and recovery, go against a 325# lineman coming at him full speed and blow it out again, maybe some permanent damage

There is absolutely no reason to sit him for the season after successful surgery and the required recovery period. This simply is not going to happen.

So what would you consider this team?

Spunky?

The internet seems to have a difficult time with the concept that "competitive" and "mediocre" are synonyms in the NFL.

Well, when you're the GM of a football team that's 23-25 during your tenure, that probably means it's in the best interest of your future employment to be in "win now mode." Especially when you're working for people who didn't hire you.

When you're a NFL HC being paid 5M+ per season and you've been the beneficiary of millions in team spending on players, just got three (well, almost) rookies to play the defense, hired your brother, and make bombastic statements not grounded in reality, it's probably best to be in "win now mode."

If you're not in "win now mode" what mode are you in? I know in Buffalo there's been a lot of "Rebuilding" mode, but the latest rebuild has been going on since 2013. Or perhaps it's still the original 2010 rebuild, act 2. Hard to tell, considering they've changed coaches 3 times since 2010 and the GM has been here all this time.

Maybe Terry and Kim just like to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to hopefully win. :lol: It's all just a media narrative anyway.

By that logic, every team in the NFL is in "win now mode" to varying but similar degrees. Which means that nobody is. The term is meaningless.

You singled out 2014 as the year we supposedly entered this mode and then listed some factoids about the year 2016 as "proof." So I'm going to assume that your statement was originally meant to refer to the Watkins trade. And the idea that trading up for Watkins somehow put us in a different mode than we were before, is a garbage media narrative with no basis in reality.

By that logic, every team in the NFL is in "win now mode" to varying but similar degrees. Which means that nobody is. The term is meaningless.

You singled out 2014 as the year we supposedly entered this mode and then listed some factoids about the year 2016 as "proof." So I'm going to assume that your statement was originally meant to refer to the Watkins trade. And the idea that trading up for Watkins somehow put us in a different mode than we were before, is a garbage media narrative with no basis in reality.

Whatever dude. Owners just spend millions (or in some cases billions) in hope of winning. Just like buying lottery tickets. :lol:

jw, I'm curious -- do you believe there's a problem with the Bills' medical staff, or was the Lawson thing just bad luck (i.e., hurt it in non-contact practice while not wearing brace)?

i didn't see their medical report on Shaq, so tough to say. that said, their track record has been suspect.

jw

I thought the post you responded to was sufficiently absurd enough to read clearly as sarcasm but apparently not. I thought we had met before.

my apologies. i'm on vacation so didn't have my sarcasm setting on for some reason.

:thumbsup:

jw