RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

Just so I'm clear on this, Shaq Lawson will be back sooner or later and in the meantime somebody else is going to play his position.

give or take a spleen or two

That's.....less than ideal.

could be much worse though. much worse

I think folks care because Shaq Lawson was propped up to be Mario's replacement last offseason in order to offset us having to cut him. Him missing a significant amount of time year one blows that argument up. Who is our EDGE guy replacing Mario in 2016 for the 1st Q of the season?

Ok, lets put an end to that right now...MARIO cut MARIO. His contract was so big we would have had to not resign other key players to keep him. And you don't choose an aging 31 year old DE who very obviously mailed it in last season, took plays off, and generally wouldn't buy into the scheme because he disagreed with it.

Hes a 31 year old DE making ridiculous money coming off a season where he basically quit on the scheme and the team. He made that a VERY easy choice to cut him, especially with guys like Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, and Taylor needed and deserving new contracts.

And none of that has anything to do with Shaq, his surgery, or draft slot. Mario played himself off this team, plain and simple...and I was his biggest fan and now need to buy a new jersey for this season again.

That's.....less than ideal.

Yeah, it is.

But it's leaps and bounds better than anything Mario gave us last year. Mario gave a little more than a traffic cone.

GO BILLS!!!

Ok, lets put an end to that right now...MARIO cut MARIO. His contract was so big we would have had to not resign other key players to keep him. And you don't choose an aging 31 year old DE who very obviously mailed it in last season, took plays off, and generally wouldn't buy into the scheme because he disagreed with it.

Hes a 31 year old DE making ridiculous money coming off a season where he basically quit on the scheme and the team. He made that a VERY easy choice to cut him, especially with guys like Glenn, Gilmore, Incognito, and Taylor needed and deserving new contracts.

And none of that has anything to do with Shaq, his surgery, or draft slot. Mario played himself off this team, plain and simple...and I was his biggest fan and now need to buy a new jersey for this season again.

The fact remains we had a hole at DE/EDGE we were "supposed" to fill with Shaq Lawson.....who will not be able to play the 1st Q of the season at least.

That's the answer to your earlier question of why folks care.

Yeah, it is.

But it's leaps and bounds better than anything Mario gave us last year. Mario gave a little more than a traffic cone.

GO BILLS!!!

We shall see.

The fact remains we had a hole at DE/EDGE we were "supposed" to fill with Shaq Lawson.....who will not be able to play the 1st Q of the season at least.

That's the answer to your earlier question of why folks care.

We shall see.

You're not convinced Manny Lawson brings more to the table than a traffic cone?

GO BILLS!!!

You're not convinced Manny Lawson brings more to the table than a traffic cone?

GO BILLS!!!

No, I am but as we've rehashed a hundred times before, I don't view the whole situation as an "either/or" scenario.

We shall see how it all works out.

No, I am but as we've rehashed a hundred times before, I don't view the whole situation as an "either/or" scenario.

We shall see how it all works out.

Either/or? Lawson either gives us more than a traffic cone or he doesn't.

There are only a handful of players that can give us what MW gave us when he gave a schit. I hope nobody is expecting Lawson to give us what MW gave two seasons ago. Ain't gonna happen.

But I'm positive he will give us more than Mario gave us last year. There is no doubt about that. It's impossible to give us less.

GO BILLS!!!

Alphadawg, while you're right that Mario made cutting him an easy and (due to salary cap) necessary choice....The fact is, cutting him left a hole for "edge rusher".

That very much has something to do with Shaq, his surgery, and his draft slot. Teams expect their draft choices in the first 2 rounds to be able to step up and contribute immediately. Teams talk about "best player available" but magically, the "best player available" on their draft board is usually a position where the team has a need. There's also a factor of "return on investment", since it's getting the most years out of quality players on their rookie contracts which enables teams to resign or sign a few high-price stars.

So in drafting a potential high-quality edge rusher who, as it turns out, is going to sit out at least half his rookie season, the Bills are losing both 1/8 or so of is ROI potential as well as failing to improve at the "edge rusher" hole left by cutting Mario. Mario, when he gave a schitt, was a star. Manny Lawson is a lunchbucket player. For folks to mention him as our plan to replace Mario/Shaq Lawson is head scratching strange.

So for the Bills to draft a player who was

Alphadawg, while you're right that Mario made cutting him an easy and (due to salary cap) necessary choice....The fact is, cutting him left a hole for "edge rusher".

That very much has something to do with Shaq, his surgery, and his draft slot. Teams expect their draft choices in the first 2 rounds to be able to step up and contribute immediately. Teams talk about "best player available" but magically, the "best player available" on their draft board is usually a position where the team has a need. There's also a factor of "return on investment", since it's getting the most years out of quality players on their rookie contracts which enables teams to resign or sign a few high-price stars.

So in drafting a potential high-quality edge rusher who, as it turns out, is going to sit out at least half his rookie season, the Bills are losing both 1/8 or so of is ROI potential as well as failing to improve at the "edge rusher" hole left by cutting Mario. Mario, when he gave a schitt, was a star. Manny Lawson is a lunchbucket player. For folks to mention him as our plan to replace Mario/Shaq Lawson is head scratching strange.

So for the Bills to draft a player who was

Key phrase being, "When Mario gave a schit."

Id rather have Manny Lawson manning it then Ike E......who seems to never make plays.

What are you talking about? I heard Ike's name every time he was on the field. Granted he was being flagged for something but he was getting his name called.