RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

The 2015 19th overall pick signed a 4 year 9.4M contract with a 5.1M signing bonus. At a 5% increase, Buffalo probably needs to pay SL almost 10M with about a 5.5M bonus.

I'm sure TPegs is thrilled to shell out this money. Just like I'm sure he's satisfied with his GM and HC who sold him on damaged goods that will miss the entire off-season and at least 2 games.

All this for a team that's been in win-now mode since 2014 without, of course, actually winning.

"Win now mode" is a garbage media narrative. What evidence is there that such a mode exists, and that we are in it? We're in the 2nd year of a new coach's tenure, our QB is still in the "prove it" stage, and last year's defense was legitimately bad. Which one of those is the trait of a contender?

The original tweet from Stepner was hijacked by Russ Brandon who made sure to insert the word "very"...

He showed constraint however. He originally preferred it to read "super, awesome, very successful surgery." The surgery had a top 10 grade by our medical staff. Shaq is resting with a bottle of #billswater by his side and #duffswings on their way. #onebuffalo #allin

Edited by YoloinOhio

"Win now mode" is a garbage media narrative. What evidence is there that such a mode exists, and that we are in it? We're in the 2nd year of a new coach's tenure, our QB is still in the "prove it" stage, and last year's defense was legitimately bad. Which one of those is the trait of a contender?

Well, when you're the GM of a football team that's 23-25 during your tenure, that probably means it's in the best interest of your future employment to be in "win now mode." Especially when you're working for people who didn't hire you.

When you're a NFL HC being paid 5M+ per season and you've been the beneficiary of millions in team spending on players, just got three (well, almost) rookies to play the defense, hired your brother, and make bombastic statements not grounded in reality, it's probably best to be in "win now mode."

If you're not in "win now mode" what mode are you in? I know in Buffalo there's been a lot of "Rebuilding" mode, but the latest rebuild has been going on since 2013. Or perhaps it's still the original 2010 rebuild, act 2. Hard to tell, considering they've changed coaches 3 times since 2010 and the GM has been here all this time.

Maybe Terry and Kim just like to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to hopefully win. :lol: It's all just a media narrative anyway.

Edited by BillsVet

Well, when you're the GM of a football team that's 23-25 during your tenure, that probably means it's in the best interest of your future employment to be in "win now mode." Especially when you're working for people who didn't hire you.

When you're a NFL HC being paid 5M+ per season and you've been the beneficiary of millions in team spending on players, just got three (well, almost) rookies to play the defense, hired your brother, and make bombastic statements not grounded in reality, it's probably best to be in "win now mode."

If you're not in "win now mode" what mode are you in? I know in Buffalo there's been a lot of "Rebuilding" mode, but the latest rebuild has been going on since 2013. Or perhaps it's still the original 2010 rebuild, act 2. Hard to tell, considering they've changed coaches 3 times since 2010 and the GM has been here all this time.

Maybe Terry and Kim just like to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to hopefully win. :lol: It's all just a media narrative anyway.

Year 2

Meaning what? That you get a mulligan for the first year whenever anything changes?

So, hypothetically, if Whaley and/or Rex gets fired in 2016 that it's not possible to win in 2017 (because it's only year 1) and everyone has to wait until 2018?

@StepnerWKBW

Update: Source tells me after today's surgery Shaq Lawson "should only miss about 4-5 regular season games." #Bills

...and the OTA's

...and all of training camp

...and all 4 preseason games.

Then they can throw him in to games that mean something, and hope he doesn't make any mistakes that may cost the team a game due to missing what I stated above.