RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

I think you are thinking of the training staff. I think they won some award but I don't think that includes the team physicians but I could be wrong. Very discouraging though. We seem to be the only team that didn't know he needed surgery. No wonder he dropped

Training staff. Yep!

and heck it might be them that shut him down ?

Players get hurt all the time. You draft a guy in the first round hoping he comes out and produces year one, but sometimes that doesn't happen due to poor performance or injury. I'd rather it be the latter than the former. A pre-existing shoulder injury is not a huge concern like the situation with Myles Jack.

Guess what? Some of us want to win NOW. Losing our first round pick, who was supposed to shore up our crap defense from "day 1", is a problem. But now at least Rex and his supporters have a new excuse--and the season doesn't even start for four months. Edited by mannc

I am curious why the medical staff cleared him before the draft and now the medical staff decides he needs surgery. What changed?

My guess is he said his shoulder was fine before the draft to get picked high. Then once they started practicing he started complaining about it which led them to look deeper

Guess what? Some of us want to win NOW. Losing our first round pick, who was supposed to shore up our crap defense from "day 1", is a problem. But now at least Rex and his supporters have a new excuse--and the season doesn't even start for four months.

We will still "win now". With recovery times the way they are, Lawson will be back and healthy before you know it, ready for the playoff push, if not earlier. Step away from the ledge.

I am curious why the medical staff cleared him before the draft and now the medical staff decides he needs surgery. What changed?

Someone mentioned that they were probably working him out and testing it out, and determined that surgery is better now, rather than risking injury during the season.

Guess what? Some of us want to win NOW. Losing our first round pick, who was supposed to shore up our crap defense from "day 1", is a problem. But now at least Rex and his supporters have a new excuse--and the season doesn't even start for four months.

Would you rather have Shaq start the season and possibly re-injure his shoulder, ending his season early or have him back and healthy for the stretch run? We have guys that can play right now. We still have Hughes, Kyle and Dareus. We now have Adolphus and the other Lawson really upped his game in the second half of the season. If the offense improves even a little, and Rex gets it right with the players and scheme, we will be just fine without Shaq for a few weeks.

They said there was a re-occurrence of the injury last week.

4 months sounds long. Most estimates I saw were 3 months. Maybe an extra month if you factor in getting back into football shape.

Im thinking the extra month is getting functional strength back into the shoulder

If I was the bills I would double down with a vet.....and allow Shaq to rotate with someone while he gets back to 100 percent

Remember....we have this player for what.....4 years?

The guy was in a shoulder brace in the conference championship, the national semi and the championship game. It was a problem. Take care of it now.

The good news is -- its likely not a full tear (he wouldn't have been able to lift if it was) -- if they can do the repair with a scope that is best but they will want to make sure its not more so they will likely open him up..this adds to the rehab.

I agree that missing time will hurt him badly in year 1 -- but its upper body -- meaning he can keep his legs, do cardio, stay in good shape. If its a small tear he can begin light strength training by the end of June and once that starts its all about his healing power...based on this kids desire and character I bet he will be doing side reps by the middle of August...

So what I'm hearing is that he has to go to surgery we knew was coming at some point, and the staff decided to bite the bullet and do it now so that his arrival would be close to Week 1, while we have a competent backup in Manny to hold things down until then.

DOOOOOOOMED

Im thinking the extra month is getting functional strength back into the shoulder

If I was the bills I would double down with a vet.....and allow Shaq to rotate with someone while he gets back to 100 percent

Remember....we have this player for what.....4 years?

Well, 3 if you take into account what will SURELY be a useless rookie season.