RD 1, Pick 19: DE Shaq Lawson, Clemson University

Beerball

enlighten me how we are like seattle or denver. please.

once you think about it, here is how we are not:

we do not have the safeties that the seahawks have which enable them to constantly rush up the middle with very underrated linebackers who stop the run. the safeties there, also step up excellently to stop the run. we don't have that.

in denver - well, they have a swarm of top end talent that was highly underappreciated. prior to them going to the superbowl and winning everyone would have just thought of them as a flash in the pan, non amazing defense. they may have been the best defense - ever. if not, a close debate between baltimores best year.

regardless, what denver had on defense was a consuming front end approach with linebackers who covered every inch of the short field. something we cannot do, something we do not have the talent to do right now. and they had safeties that did not get beat deep. we have those. denver closed a seam like 14 yr old slave labor nike shoe maker.

he really is but unfortunately there are some serious questions that we will need to answer about his health and durability. i still believe he will be similar to chris kelsey.

I am talking about overall relying on the D to smother and a running game to take pressure off the QB....we had a top 5 D prior to last year and I am sure that was the plan.

You can choose to attack individual positions if you wish.

These are extreme reaches.

What do your eyes tell you?

My eyes tell me that we are going into year 2

It's not nearly as important as it used to be. Disrupting the QB is crucial for defenses in today's game considering the rule changes and the increase of emphasis in the passing game on offense.... We were among the best in the league at this in 2014.... Last year not so much....

That's just ridiculous. Try to win with a poor run defense, teams won't have to throw.

Leadership comes from the top down. I won't bother drudging up old history, but it's clear (to me) that Ralph was holding this team back from competing in the modern NFL in a number of ways. The Pegulas, who have only had their hands on the wheel for less than 2 years, have already demonstrated what a difference fresh leadership can make. Russ Brandon doesn't make football decisions, he's a whipping boy by folks who need to cling to the ghosts of the past. Whaley's been really good compared to the GMs that came before him during this drought, whether he's a Ralph holdover or not is irrelevant when you look at the talent on the roster since he took over. The guy hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been a problem either.

I'm not arguing you can't doubt them, just doubt them for the right reasons. Doubt the Pegulas because they have no experience owning an NFL team -- that's completely valid -- but let's at least acknowledge that the "same old Bills" is a misnomer. This is a new franchise in how it approaches building teams and competing in the league. They've shown this with their approach to retaining their own talent, the money put into the coaching staff and facilities... sooner or later that's going to show up on the field. Or at least that's the hope.

As for Shaq's issues, if they are indeed as dire as they sound, there's no reason the guy can't have a long and successful career even if he misses this season. Personally, all things being equal, I would have taken Jack but clearly he's even riskier medically speaking than Shaq.

You make some good points here. There has been a great deal of change and it's probably not fair to just say "same old Bills". And yet, I don't see much evidence of a bold new direction, that the organization "gets it".

An awful coaching hire that results in scrapping a top four defense, drafting players with medical issues and claiming "we can't believe he fell to us", paying top dollar for over the hill talent at a non-premium position, deciding that the way to win NFL 2016 is "ground and pound", etc. There is just a sense that there is no strong direction or plan--that there are multiple captains trying to steer the ship. And no, I have seen no evidence that the Pegulas really know what they are doing.

Man, I was going to respond to ridiculous post after post in this thread but the wheels are just coming off for you people. Take a deep breath, everything's gonna be alright.

The Bill's knew about the shoulder. They weighed it as not a huge concern for them. Time will tell if Lawson will be a great player, but the shoulder surgery will turn out fine, there's a reason everyone says "he will need shoulder surgery at some point" and not "serious shoulder surgery could mean Lawson doesn't fully recover".

Quit embarrassing yourselves overreacting like this.

Billsfantics, which created the Instagram post, I believe got the information from here. I saw on Twitter last night someone saying that's where it's come from. But even then, the information is wrong. eMoulds original quote said nothing of an injury or what the injury was. Just that he expected him to miss some time to start the year. It's now gone a bit viral in the Bills community.

#ChineseWhispers

Billsfantics, which created the Instagram post, I believe got the information from here. I saw on Twitter last night someone saying that's where it's come from. But even then, the information is wrong. eMoulds original quote said nothing of an injury or what the injury was. Just that he expected him to miss some time to start the year. It's now gone a bit viral in the Bills community.

#ChineseWhispers

He later said he was unaware of any off-field issues. Which pretty much leaves medical.

He later said he was unaware of any off-field issues. Which pretty much leaves medical.

Yea, but the Instagram post now says he reinjured his shoulder... I think that's a fairly big leap. I'm not saying it isn't medical. It was never even said if it was the shoulder that's causing him to miss the time. So we've now gone from he will miss some time, probably because of medical to he reinjured his shoulder and will miss time.

Funny, I think when someone ridicules a post without offering an actual take or any analysis, THAT'S "just being lazy". But that's just me.

:thumbsup:

Some get away with being lazy in the face of objective criticism of the team. To them, it's called "fan-hood." Gotta support the team! :lol:

And then some just piss in the punch bowl every chance they get....right Vet?

When the team is winning 41% of their games over the past 6 seasons then yes, yes I will. What kind of alternate reality do some fans live in that this is acceptable and warrants zero criticism? Because I never see you criticize a team that barely wins 2 out of 5 games. Never.

So, do results matter or is it merely the emotional tug of your favorite team? Or should we support everything they do because it's your favorite team?

When the team is winning 41% of their games over the past 6 seasons then yes, yes I will. What kind of alternate reality do some fans live in that this is acceptable and warrants zero criticism? Because I never see you criticize a team that barely wins 2 out of 5 games. Never.

So, do results matter or is it merely the emotional tug of your favorite team? Or should we support everything they do because it's your favorite team?

There is a difference in "warrants zero crit" and what you do which is "crit in every post"

You know you do it

And yes results do matter.....do you want fans to cry about it and not think that the team wont improve? What a miserable life you lead vet.

Edited by John from Hemet

I've said it before, I find it amazing. I'm from the NYC area and lived in Buffalo for a few years. Bills fans find every excuse in the world for their team. It's almost a sin to bash the franchise. Jets/Giants fans call it like it is.

No they dont....their fans are EXACTLY like ours

Some continue to have hope

Some consider themselves fence sitters

Some bash every move the team makes

Just like us

I've said it before, I find it amazing. I'm from the NYC area and lived in Buffalo for a few years. Bills fans find every excuse in the world for their team. It's almost a sin to bash the franchise. Jets/Giants fans call it like it is.

Oh they do, do they?

They are no different than Bills fans, just go over to either of their forums... Jets fans think Mike Maccagnan can do no wrong... They also thought John Idzik could do no wrong. All of this after Maccagnan used a 2nd round pick on a project QB because he refuses to pay Fitz.

No they dont....their fans are EXACTLY like ours

Some continue to have hope

Some consider themselves fence sitters

Some bash every move the team makes

Just like us

The ratios of each are markedly different. They really are.

Put on WFAN when they talk about the Jets. You will hear a much different tune.

Media coverage is different than reality though. This board has more "homers" than "realists" (I hate both those terms but for the sake of the discussion I'll use them), that's undeniable and can skew the perception of Bills fans if this is the only place you frequent. But that doesn't mean it's the same split if you could gather every Bills fan up together and poll them. NYC is a huge media market, much more competitive than Western NY, so it stands to reason the radio call in shows there would traffic more in controversy and conflict (which sells and draws listeners more than homer talk).

Fans are fans in my experience. Every franchise has their homers, every franchise has their realists... well except for the Dolphins because seriously, fug them.;)

Fans are fans in my experience. Every franchise has their homers, every franchise has their realists... well except for the Dolphins because seriously, fug them.;)

One can root like hell for the home team and still be a realist. There are realists who choose not to wallow in negativity.

GO BILLS!!!