Poll: New Bills Stadium: Drop Top Dome or Open Stadium?

135 members have voted

1. 1. If you dont have to foot the bill, would you want the Bills in an arena stadium or keep the Ralph

• Id rather our team play in a dome that has a drop top to open the ceiling on nice nights/days, and escape the Indian burrial ground curse
    • No! Dont change the history! Its the Ralph for a reason.

In the unlikely event that the Bills do plan on building a new stadium, would you want a dome? Or an open stadium like we currently have.

Pros:

We have the most ridiculous weather in the league which is a slight disadvantage to us and a bigger disadvantage to visiting teams but, we play 8 games a year there which hurts us more then opposing teams.

We will finally rid ourselves of the Indian burial curse and Flutie curse in one shot. (Curses are real for the sake of this argument)

Cheerleaders can now wear really revealing attire showing off more T&A boosting fan and team morale.

We will no longer have to worry about game plan changes based on the crazy wind we get mid-late season.

We can sign future QBs think 2020 and beyond, with smaller hands that dont perform well in outdoor stadiums.

Will attract players that dont like playing in cold climates

Its easier to get warm before/during games in an arena then in buffalo weather.

Domes are enclosed areas so if you thought the Ralph was rocking before, the arena will amplify that sound.

Cons:
The tax players foot the bill.

Its the !@#$ng RALPH!

Ticket prices will go up

No more awesome snow games.

No more teaching kids to be men and watch the Bills in freezing temperature weather.

NOW: For the sake of the post, lets say tax players dont have to foot the bill. Hypothetically which would you rather the new stadium be?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about the teams that have domes and those that don't.

If you ever want to see a super bowl played in Buffalo then vote for the dome.

Not going to happen. Not enough hotel rooms. They could fix up the projects for the big game then rent them out!

I don't pay the bill: Dome for sure!

I pay the bill: The Ralph is fine, especially for what 10 games tops? Versus the cost and burden to build new

Not going to happen. Not enough hotel rooms.

Niagara Fall Canada has a ton of rooms....................that is if the people can cross the border

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/31/4368898/could-buffalo-host-a-super-bowl

there are more than enough hotel rooms for buffalo to host a super bowl.

I'm on the fence. I would like a retractable roof stadium downtown with a patriots* place type thing attached. Maybe pegula will make a football version of harbor center for the bills. Also the chance at a super bowl. I would like all of that until sunday(or monday, Thursday or Saturday). I've been to games where the stadium was downtown and it was terrible. Everything was a hassle. If we built a stadium downtown I would probably go to one game just to say I went then watch every other game at home.

for game day give me the Ralph and it's location.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I would be greatly saddened by a dome stadium. Everyone's eyes get big, thinking about the superbowl, but let's be honest...we would never ever ever host one.

Something similar to Heinz Field is more appropriate for this fan base and region. Embrace the tradition of the outdoor game, its one of the last things we have that even resembles our past.

I would be greatly saddened by a dome stadium. Everyone's eyes get big, thinking about the superbowl, but let's be honest...we would never ever ever host one.

Something similar to Heinz Field is more appropriate for this fan base and region. Embrace the tradition of the outdoor game, its one of the last things we have that even resembles our past.

Goodell said something a couple years ago that if you build a new stadium and meet the requirements you will get a superbowl. Trying to find a link. Detroit and Minnesota got one why couldn't we? Edited by Not at the table Karlos

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/5/31/4368898/could-buffalo-host-a-super-bowl

there are more than enough hotel rooms for buffalo to host a super bowl.

I'm on the fence. I would like a retractable roof stadium downtown with a patriots* place type thing attached. Maybe pegula will make a football version of harbor center for the bills. Also the chance at a super bowl. I would like all of that until sunday(or monday, Thursday or Saturday). I've been to games where the stadium was downtown and it was terrible. Everything was a hassle. If we built a stadium downtown I would probably go to one game just to say I went then watch every other game at home.

for game day give me the Ralph and it's location.

I stand corrected. Wondering how many hotel rooms are High End? Edited by Hammered a Lot

Ask Jim Kelly the last proven QB to play in Buffalo. He had home field advantage in the elements.

You only have a home field advantage in bad weather if you practice out in the bad weather regularily. But, the Bills practice inside in their dome when the weather is bad...you have to put in the game plan, you know. So, I am not sure I buy the bad weather is an advantage argument unless Rex has the team out there when its really bad. Practice outside in bad weather to prepare to play in it. what they do now is practice outside when its sunny and a nice day. :doh:As a result, I don't think the Bills really have a preparedness advantage that some speak of here.

Edited by bigK14094

You only have a home field advantage in bad weather if you practice out in the bad weather regularily. But, the Bills practice inside in their dome when the weather is bad...you have to put in the game plan, you know. So, I am not sure I buy the bad weather is an advantage argument unless Rex has the team out there when its really bad. Practice outside in bad weather to prepare to play in it. what they do now is practice outside when its sunny and a nice day. :doh:

Have a good team...How can you practice and put in a game plan in 50 MPH winds?

I would like to see a dome.

I cant remember the last time bad weather has worked to the Bills advantage

CBF

Lol that's a fact! I'd like to see the Bills get a stadium with a retractable roof somewhere in downtown Buffalo.

Thinking about the dome vs open issue......I think a dome would have made the field available for the Jets game a couple of years ago (moved to Detroit) But, that game was delayed/moved because the county infrastructure and services could not handle game traffic in the middle of a storm emergency. (the NFL got that one right btw) A dome would not have helped in that situation in terms of having the game go as planned at home. and, I don't think the infrastructure situation is any better in downtown Buffalo, probabily worse actually. So, a dome doesn't buy anything in those circumstances imho.

Have a good team...How can you practice and put in a game plan in 50 MPH winds?

Perfect Practice makes perfect......you have to practice in the conditions you play in. Maybe you have to repeat the work outside after the mental part is covered indoors. Comfy practice does not make foul weather play better!!!

Think about the teams that have domes and those that don't.

If you ever want to see a super bowl played in Buffalo then vote for the dome.

I really don't care about a SB being played in Buffalo; honor the tradition of football and Buffalo!

the Super Bowl is not coming to Buffalo

maybe a college bowl game, but 12,000 people would attend and it would 'feature' teams such as Rice vs UConn

Wrestlemania and Final Four are possible one-off gets

Possibly they could snipe a Syracuse or Penn State vs Notre Dame neutral site game (one time) and it would be a pretty big event.

Edited by May Day 10

I would like to see a dome.

I cant remember the last time bad weather has worked to the Bills advantage

CBF

agreed. the bad weather likely keeps more fans away than it does help the team on the field. not a believer in some sort of curse on the Ralph (did win AFC Championships there), but a dome would be fantastic. And the noise from the fans only amplified. It would instantly be the loudest/hardest place to play in the NFL>

Lol that's a fact! I'd like to see the Bills get a stadium with a retractable roof somewhere in downtown Buffalo.

i just want to get off the burial ground. But if they do build one, it has to have a retractable roof.

swirling winds you know !

I stand corrected. Wondering how many hotel rooms are High End?

that was my question. A lot of hotels have been popping up lately and a few have been pretty nice. I don't know about billionaire nice though.

i just want to get off the burial ground. But if they do build one, it has to have a retractable roof.

swirling winds you know !

holy cow. Could you imagine the winds and cold in an open air stadium downtown. Seems like it's always 10 degrees colder DT Edited by Not at the table Karlos

Did I misread the poll? Where is the "new open air stadium" choice?

Ditto

Exactly. Totally agree. We shouldn't rush to erase regional identity.

Tough question - I'm torn on this one because on 1 hand I say, you have to keep up with technology - if you can build a re-tractable dome stadium and possibly attract a Super Bowl, then you need to. On the other hand, I always love football in the toughest of elements and have always felt that it was meant to be played in the elements on grass & dirt. I love the Ralph but also understand the need to keep up with the times.

the Super Bowl is not coming to Buffalo

maybe a college bowl game, but 12,000 people would attend and it would 'feature' teams such as Rice vs UConn

Wrestlemania and Final Four are possible one-off gets

Possibly they could snipe a Syracuse or Penn State vs Notre Dame neutral site game (one time) and it would be a pretty big event.

A Niagara Falls location would draw several large games, super bowl almost for certain

team A plays in bad weather 12 times a year

team B plays in bad weather 4 times a year

who has the advantage ?

Which team has the better QB?

For where the NFL is going, premium on speed de-emphasis on size/hitting/running the football, having a dome and getting out of the weather will help you more than it hurts.

A retractable roof stadium does not make sense if you are paying for it. Best case, it is opened twice a year. The cost vs a fixed roof is enormous. If you are going to spend the money to build a new one, cover it. It is about fan comfort for those attending the game.

As far as the positive economic viability of a stadium, even with multi-use beyond the Bills, it is a fantasy that they will even break even. And the economic boost minus the cost to the local economy for building it, the infrastructure and the other issues is a loser all the way around. Only a few close by businesses will benefit from it, while a majority of other taxpayers and the competitors of those businesses will be paying a lot more than the benefits those chosen few derive from it.

Check out the economic cost/benefits of every stadium nationwide to see how much of a fantasy it is of an economically viable self supporting stadium. If stadiums could be economically viable, then the rich, smart, NFL business owners would build them all by themselves and get even richer than they are now from those benefits by keeping the profits all to themselves. The reason they have taxpayers fund them is because they simply never make economic sense, they are monster financial sinkholes. Better to get the suckers (er taxpayers) pay to feed the monster and reap just the sweeter side of the profits and rewards of owning an NFL team,

Edited by simpleman

I would think with the wild swings in weather between August and December ( and certainly January), a retractable dome is the obvious solution, especially if you want other events in winter. having said that, I just don't see the numbers ever working for either the Pegula's or the government... Goodell can pound the table all he wants, but a new stadium at $1B is just a non starter from an economic standpoint... plus the Ralph is cool

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore