Poll: New Bills Stadium: Drop Top Dome or Open Stadium?

135 members have voted

1. 1. If you dont have to foot the bill, would you want the Bills in an arena stadium or keep the Ralph

• Id rather our team play in a dome that has a drop top to open the ceiling on nice nights/days, and escape the Indian burrial ground curse
    • No! Dont change the history! Its the Ralph for a reason.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the unlikely event that the Bills do plan on building a new stadium, would you want a dome? Or an open stadium like we currently have.

Are you serious? When he bought the team,Terry Pegula said there would be a new stadium at some point. It doesn't really take a genious to see that a new stadium is needed in the not too distant future. I believe a new stadium will be built (or in process) before the end of the current lease. I believe it will be built downtown and I believe will be a covered facility similar to the stadium in Indy.

Are you serious? When he bought the team,Terry Pegula said there would be a new stadium at some point. It doesn't really take a genious to see that a new stadium is needed in the not too distant future. I believe a new stadium will be built (or in process) before the end of the current lease. I believe it will be built downtown and I believe will be a covered facility similar to the stadium in Indy.

again, whats the point of wasting money on a retractable dome that will never be open.

They will never use the retractable roof

I went to a game in Houston 85 and sunny and the representative said if there is a chance of rain or any bad weather within 48 hrs before or after kickoff they won't open it

Now obviously the hours thing might be a little off but I was shocked

the Super Bowl is not coming to Buffalo

maybe a college bowl game, but 12,000 people would attend and it would 'feature' teams such as Rice vs UConn

Wrestlemania and Final Four are possible one-off gets

Possibly they could snipe a Syracuse or Penn State vs Notre Dame neutral site game (one time) and it would be a pretty big event.

If you believe that the Super Bowl would never come to Buffalo which is something I do agree with, I also am skeptical the Final Four would come to Buffalo. The only real possibilities I see are low level bowl games, and wrestle mania. I can't even imagine a SU football game. This is not a college football town at all. A neutral site Syracuse game would make no sense to the SU athletic department. The only reason they've played games in NYC is the incredible amount of SU alumni that live down there. They'd be better off playing in Philly or DC against a team like Penn State than in Buffalo of all places. A new stadium will happen because that's what the NFL wants, but when the developers will try to tell us all of all the non Bills events that will happen here it's nothing more than pipe dreams imo. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I never suggested a retractable dome. I suggested that it will be a closed stadium like in Indy. Theirs is not retractable.

Actually it is.

I love how stupid people are that think a retractable roof is viable. 4 times a season at the most it's be open, thats counting preseason.

You're right. Save money with a fixed roof. But it has to be a stadium with a roof.

Aesthetically, the new stadium should mirror Lucas Oil, which has a great industrial look and would fit the waterfront area.

A retractable roof is a must, and I would hope the rule would be to play NFL games with it open (weather be damned), and close it the other 6 days a week and so they can host other events year round.

If I were Pegs, and sitting on that pile of cash, I'd build it myself. Lucas Oil only cost $791Million in 2016 dollars. Build it myself and own it outright, put it close to the arena, own that entire area and sporting complex. Build retail/office/living spaces right there. Make sure the Transit line extends all the way to the new stadium. This is the plan to basically own Buffalo. Bills, Sabres, Stadium, Arena, Harbor Center, Parking, and a bunch of multi-purpose buildings surrounding... Daaaamn, Daniel.

If we build a domed stadium, we get a Super Bowl/NCAA Final Four/College Bowl Game/WrestleMania/etc.

Make it happen

absolutely not on several of those.

but the dome is still the right call probably.

Edited by NoSaint

I would like to see a dome.

I cant remember the last time bad weather has worked to the Bills advantage

CBF

I can't really remember a time when bad weather has worked to the Bills' disadvantage either. I am shocked with some of the responses on here. I would be pretty devastated to see the Bills play in a dome. Edited by metzelaars_lives

If a new stadium has to happen, my guess is it would be a dome, but would rather have an open air stadium. The people who think if we built the Taj Mahal we could get a shot at a SB are mistaken. Living in a city where we get a SB about every 8-10 years (Tampa), Buffalo has zero shot at a SB. It's a game for the rich, celebrities, and corporate types. For the average fan, it is fun going down to the experience during the week.

No one is going to Buffalo in February. Don't mistake my comment to be an editorial. I love my home city, and wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else in the world.

Lastly, I still contend a new stadium won't be finished until 2022 coinciding with the terms of the lease.

As another poster noted this poll is bogus. There is no new open air stadium. That's what most of us want.

There ya go. Cleveland did it, what the hell is the big deal. A lot of you guys have gone soft on me. One day the Bills will play another home playoff game. I was at the last home playoff game and I'll damn sure be at the next one. And I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna tailgate with my brothers all morning in that or even a new sacred parking lot and then walk into a 70 degree dome. What's the matter with some of you people? Edited by metzelaars_lives

There ya go. Cleveland did it, what the hell is the big deal. A lot of you guys have gone soft on me. One day the Bills will play another home playoff game. I was at the last home playoff game and I'll damn sure be at the next one. And I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna tailgate with my brothers all morning in that or even a new sacred parking lot and then walk into a 70 degree dome. What's the matter with some of you people?

I dont want to go to indoor games either, but the new stadium has to be multi-use. Or else, we're just blowing a lot of money. Unless Pegula wants to fund it completely himself (like he should). But I dont think a businessman would build an open air stadium either.

Retractable roof with the top dropped for games, is the ultimate answer, imo.

Also, citing "Cleveland did it" isnt really a great argument to convince us about anything. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDareustein

Thinking about the dome vs open issue......I think a dome would have made the field available for the Jets game a couple of years ago (moved to Detroit) But, that game was delayed/moved because the county infrastructure and services could not handle game traffic in the middle of a storm emergency. (the NFL got that one right btw) A dome would not have helped in that situation in terms of having the game go as planned at home. and, I don't think the infrastructure situation is any better in downtown Buffalo, probabily worse actually. So, a dome doesn't buy anything in those circumstances imho.

Perfect Practice makes perfect......you have to practice in the conditions you play in. Maybe you have to repeat the work outside after the mental part is covered indoors. Comfy practice does not make foul weather play better!!!

what if there aren't lousy conditions to practice in that week? Then what? It's not like the weather in Buffalo is predictable at all.

Why?

CBF

Because it's more comfortable for the masses to have a climate controlled stadium. Here is Phoenix for football and baseball , you have gorgeous days with the roofs closed. Also, the teams prefer it controlled, especially with such an emphasis on passing.

They will never use the retractable roof

I went to a game in Houston 85 and sunny and the representative said if there is a chance of rain or any bad weather within 48 hrs before or after kickoff they won't open it

Now obviously the hours thing might be a little off but I was shocked

I think it depends on how they feel about it. I went to a baseball game in Toronto and the roof closed while I was out getting a beer. Light rain started, and it was surprisingly fast! I was disappointed I missed it.

I'd love retractable, and I'll allow the Pegulas to foot most of the bill. I'm that kind of guy! I loved bad weather games as a kid, but I'm no kid any more.

I think the newer domes (Lucas Oil, new Atlanta stadium, etc.) let a lot more natural light in and feel MUCH better than the old sterile domes. It would be much better than the Georgia dome or the Metrodome.

Edited by Augie

I would be greatly saddened by a dome stadium. Everyone's eyes get big, thinking about the superbowl, but let's be honest...we would never ever ever host one.

Something similar to Heinz Field is more appropriate for this fan base and region. Embrace the tradition of the outdoor game, its one of the last things we have that even resembles our past.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't really remember a time when bad weather has worked to the Bills' disadvantage either. I am shocked with some of the responses on here. I would be pretty devastated to see the Bills play in a dome.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: