Pats wheeling and dealing, trade for Martellus Bennet

FireChan

You linked me to team head to head and it looks like you're right. Since forever, we are not the worse than rest of the league (I assume this is true cause why else would you link it).

But I guess I assumed there was some cutoff here. I used Brady's career as the cutoff. These are his splits from the same website.

And I was right for my pre defined period (I know it looks bad but I promise this was my criteria in my original post). His winning % against not the AFC east is 75.6% which is worse than 77.9% against the AFC East. Worse (from our perspective), his 89.2% winning percentage is way worse than the rest of the league.

Sorry I didn't specify the time period we were talking about, but for the past 15 years, the patriots have been MEASURABLY better against the bills then the rest of the league.

Edited by YattaOkasan

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are doing it wrong Kelly!

if you poop the pants the weight stills on the scales. Goodness Man !

Lotsa handwringing here.

getting ahead of ourselves a tinch aren't we ?

It just another TE.

and he ain't no Dray Dray.

Dude why didn't you tell me that before i went through 12 packs of underwear. Target rep is starting to worry about me. Your so funny.

At the end of the day, like most of the time, you're probably right. I see this as a transition year for us. Not rebuild but a year where if we have the right coaches, a year to gain cohesion.

And then there is always Drey Drey, Clay Clay, and Gray Gray (no wait he is gone)

You linked me to team head to head and it looks like you're right. Since forever, we are not the worse than rest of the league (I assume this is true cause why else would you link it).

But I guess I assumed there was some cutoff here. I used Brady's career as the cutoff. These are his splits from the same website.

And I was right for my pre defined period (I know it looks bad but I promise this was my criteria in my original post). His winning % against not the AFC east is 75.6% which is worse than 77.9% against the AFC East. Worse (from our perspective), his 89.2% winning percentage is way worse than the rest of the league.

Sorry I didn't specify the time period we were talking about, but for the past 15 years, the patriots have been MEASURABLY better against the bills then the rest of the league.

Yeah, I was too lazy to crunch the Brady era records.

The Patriots keep on reloading while we sit here cash strapped. It is what it is. The only real shot that we got is to have a very successful draft. What the Bills have to do, no matter how they do it, is make our front seven on defense very formidable. Our back 4 is more than adequate so make sure that Brady doesn't have time to sit there and pick us apart. We need LBers that can cover these quick outs and have our DL get to him within 2 seconds. If they can't get to him then at least have good pressure on him and have our hands up so maybe we can get some tipped passes for turnovers. Nothing would be worse than to see our own Hogan stick us in the short game.

Nothing ingenius about this plan and I realize that it's easier said than done but it's our best shot at holding that offense down to reasonable points. On offense we need to control the clock with our good ground game with some splashes of shots down the field. Until we can at least split our season games with them we'll never make it to the play-offs. We need better LBers, if not then we're sunk.

This could be good for the Bills overall. Hear me out.

As long as Brady is there we lose to them whether they have Gronk and Chandler or gronk and Bennett, Chris Hogan or Randy moss. It doesn't matter. Chalk up the two losses and focus on he other 14.

As long as Brady is there we are always striving toward a wild card berth.

This gives the Pats the better chance to beat everyone else in the AFC too, which helps our WC chances. The last thing we want if we are in the WC hunt is for the Pats to get knocked off by jets, Fish, Texans, Steelers, etc.

#glasshalffull

Note: they also have 11 draft picks :/

Edited by YoloinOhio

Occasionally BB hits on one of these malcontented screwballs.........but not usually.

I still can't believe he traded Chandler Jones and that people think that a late second round pick and a dud offensive guard was reasonable compensation.

Maybe Jones is on the edge of a long suspension or something but there isn't a pass rusher that good in the entire draft this year.

If the Bills traded Dareus for that junk we'd be rirpshitt.

I'm with you, I don't get the concerns here. Bennett (and his brother on the Seahawks) are both certifiably nuts. There is a reason no one wanted Martellus: he's deranged. He's the equivalent of rolling a grenade into the locker room. This is his fourth team - wonder why?

And I agree about the Chandler Jones debacle. Why would you get rid of an invaluable defensive chess piece like that for a low 2nd round pick and an injury-prone washout guard? Are you kidding me? I get the upcoming salary cap issues but to me, you find a way to keep one of the best defensive players of his generation.

My guess? Brady and Belichick know they have two years left and then they'll both ride into the sunset and leave a tire fire behind them.

How do they have so many UFA's....? Is this why they always get an absurd number of comp picks?

For this Bennett deal, I am very ambivalent. Sorry for so many quotes (I like to keep my post count low, but the quality high).

No idea how they got that many UFA's. I can only assume it was planned.

I don't know how but I feel pretty sure you could statistically prove that the Pats are worse against the other 30 teams (particularly the 27 teams outside our division). If that counts as measurable then I guess we could fire up JMP and the wiki on poison distributions (I think that's this)

I'm ok with them drafting 5 lineman if they draft no CBs. I have to believe their CB depth bites them soon. If we could keep TEs in to block their good rushers (not so good after losing Jones), then Sammy should be able to beat half their secondary anywhere on a play action.

...? Are you actually happy on a bills forum that the Patriots might layoff a bad contract? I hope Amendola holds out this TC and they have to give the rest of their cap to that guy. Were you upset the Pats signed Hogan for too much when the Bills would have likely not matched a smaller offer?

I'm also surprised by the move. I think no matter what TT gets more time which more importantly exposes the Pats 2ndry

How do they have so many UFA's....? Is this why they always get an absurd number of comp picks?

For this Bennett deal, I am very ambivalent. Sorry for so many quotes (I like to keep my post count low, but the quality high).

It's a bold strategy, Cotton

If you want to be the best you beat the best.

I have no opinion about the Patriots moves. Simply put if we are a good enough team we will win, if not more of the same.

IMO It doesn't matter because i have 0 faith in Rex's ability to adapt to anything

They make mistakes but unlike our front office they strike a MUCH better balance between present and future. The way the Patriots work is all about sustainability. Doug Whaley has no concept of that.

OBD is never responsible for anything they do. If their decisions don't work out it's probably bad luck. Or injuries. Or bad coaching.

Of course, they're the ones hiring the HC's. And they're the ones picking the players.

Every 3-4 years the process starts anew and therefore, we've got to give them more time. Because it's the previous regime's fault.

Our only hope is Brady hits the same wall at 38 that Peyton did and starts throwing ducks on all passes over 10 yards

That's still only 159 of his 624 pass attempts to fall off (from last season). Brady is already distinctly average 11+ yards downfield.

Edited by Blokestradamus

After trading for TE Martellus Bennett, New England signed former Chicago LB Shea McClellin to a three-year deal, a source tells Adam Schefter. McClellin, 26, ranked third on the Bears with 81 tackles last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/patriots-land-shea-mcclellin/

replaces Jerod Mayo, who retired. Also, he is turrible.

Another Chicago - NE connection, DT Akiem Hicks left in FA, ironically to Chicago.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@jasonlacanfora

Would not expect Pats to release Danny Amendola soon. Trying to rework his deal to keep him around. Exploring that thoroughly first

I'm sure he'll play for under market value like the rest of them so they can afford the Chris hogans and Shea McLellins of the world.

Edited by YoloinOhio

As I have said before......the only thing that really makes the pats genious in their off season moves is they have Tom Brady

They have NOT been good in either their drafting overall or their their free agent pick ups....but when you have a hall of fame QB behind center....it covers up a lot of that.

If Brady ends up losing to father time (who is undefeated) all the genious moves could blow up in their faces.

The problem is....Brady has been staying one step ahead of father time.

I'd only worry about Bennett and Long if we're having this discussion a couple years ago.

Both haven't done a thing in years and Bennett has gotten himself removed from three teams now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see both cut before the season.

I'd only worry about Bennett and Long if we're having this discussion a couple years ago.

Both haven't done a thing in years and Bennett has gotten himself removed from three teams now. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see both cut before the season.

Long maybe. Bennett will likely stick thinking he'll be Aaron Hernandez in 2011. But he'll likely be a cancer in the locker room trying to get his catches so that he can hit FA next year and score big on what will probably be his last contract.

Edited by Doc

I completely disagree. They just gave up another elite dLine player in Jones which will turn out to be just as bad as the Seymour trade.

If you think Chris Long isn't a huge downgrade you haven't been watching him play. As far as Bennett goes, we will see what kind of impact he has when he's getting 2 targets a game and starts his act again.

Poor drafters, poor traders. Its Brady a great TE and some role players.

We played em tough last time. Was proud of our D and what Rex and Thurman did to Brady. Next year we close the deal.

Seymour was a bad trade?

The got Solder with that 17th pick. And through a series of subsequent trades (since they now had 2 1st rounders in 2011) with the Saints, they parlayed that into more picks in the 2012 draft that ultimately led to Chandler Jones and more wheeling dealing that led to Hightower.

What was that about being bad drafters, by the way?

After the pats traded Seymour, they won the division 7 straight years, went to the playoffs every year, played in 3 AFCC games, won 2 and won a SB.

After the Raiders traded for Seymour, he stole over $40 million and played only 2 full seasons. He was out of football 3 years later. During his time with the Raiders, they won 5,8,8 and 4 games.

How did the pats suffer on that deal?

Seymour was a bad trade?

The got Solder with that 17th pick. And through a series of subsequent trades (since they now had 2 1st rounders in 2011) with the Saints, they parlayed that into more picks in the 2012 draft that ultimately led to Chandler Jones and more wheeling dealing that led to Hightower.

What was that about being bad drafters, by the way?

After the pats traded Seymour, they won the division 7 straight years, went to the playoffs every year, played in 3 AFCC games, won 2 and won a SB.

After the Raiders traded for Seymour, he stole over $40 million and played only 2 full seasons. He was out of football 3 years later. During his time with the Raiders, they won 5,8,8 and 4 games.

How did the pats suffer on that deal?

All their wheeling and dealing is fine. But they win because they have one of the top 3 QB's (if not the best) of all time. And one of the best head coaches of all time. The rest of their roster is always decent, but not always great. I think overall it was better early in their 15 year run with the likes of Bruschi, McGinnest, Seymour, Moss, Troy Brown, et al. Now of course they have Gronkowski-who all time great. Hightower, Collins, Edelman are very good. And the rest kind of all know their roles. But are not spectacular.

But what sets them apart is how they go about their business. The "Patriot Way" is always for the good of the team. They do not keep problem players around. They do not tolerate guys w off the field issues. They do not tolerate guys who play half heartedly on the field. They do not tolerate complainers in the locker room. Its the Patriots way or the highway. The team is always bigger than any one player. Unless their name is Tom Brady. But even he is a team guy who only cares about winning. Guys like Mario Williams, Pac Man Jones, Vontez Berfict have no place in Foxboro.

The Patriots, Detroit Red Wings and the St Louis Cardinals are the three best organizations in professional sports. Anyone beg to differ?

But regardless, lets kick the Pats ass this year for a change. No talk Rex. Just action.

great weapons for Brady and they improved their O-line! Yeah, they figure out a way to stay under the cap and make the playoffs every year and we can't figure out how to even be a threat.

Cooper doesn't improve their OL.