How long before Sexton drops Marrone as a client?

eball

You seem to be very agitated about this discussion. If I'm an agent and one of my clients has gone from being a "truly" hot HC candidate (when the Bills hired him), to being passed over for what is now approaching double-digit jobs and likely to remain an assistant, I start wondering why I want my name associated with him.

You don't have to agree, it's ok -- but please dispense with the tirade.

Agitated? Not really. As most everyone has pointed out, an agent does not drop a paying client. Marrone is paying his agent currently. It doesn't matter if he is a HC or not, Sexton is getting a cut right now. No one in the NFL will judge an agent by the clients he doesn't get HC jobs for. That is just a really silly idea. Agents don't get guys HC jobs anyway.

Can you name a single agent who has fired a client for not getting a HC job?

Clients fire agents.

Not agitated--just curious as to how you could get this so wrong.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bigblueview.com/2016/1/13/10760180/ny-giants-coaching-search-rumors-doug-marrone-front-runner-ben-mcadoo-hue-jackson

So I guess we should still follow in the Schefter mantra of Marrone being one of the top 3 coaching candidates this year? He was dead wrong on every one of his projections for Marrone which, in my opinion, demonstrates how he let personal gain get in the way of reason and logic. As such, I'll disregard his "tweets and news" from now on (as many throughout the sports world are also questioning his motives).

I never said Schefter isn't a complete moron, or that you should follow his every word, but this idea that Marrone isn't thought of as a potential HC in this league by other teams just because he took an opt out clause in his contract is just Bills fans going through the "jilted Ex phase"

And as i said earlier, how many other HC candidates have been passed over for 12 other openings? How many teams passed on Jackson and Gase last season? Schwartz and Roman haven't even been asked for interviews for HC positions and they are guys Bills fans want running the team here. As I pointed out, a bunch of the positions this year already had guys in place that were rumored as the top choice either before or at the time of the last HC being fired. The fact that there are teams interviewing him and he is being considered in some cases show that he isn't blacklisted like some wish

but this idea that Marrone isn't thought of as a potential HC in this league by other teams just because he took an opt out clause in his contract is just Bills fans going through the "jilted Ex phase"

I think it is more than that. If he just opted out of his contract and left classy, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But the way he opted out was very unprofessional, and I just haven't seen that before since that dude jumped from atlanta and left notes in the locker rooms and didn't tell anyone.

Marrone didn't tell any of the players we was jumping ship after he was preaching togetherness and what not. He never thanked the organization, the fans, the city, etc. Very classless all around. It is the very image of a polarizing figure. And I am sure this is negative influencing his employment options. I really think the jets wanted him until they saw the way he left and was disgusted.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were times they talked contract, and he wanted to put in an opt out clause and he got laughed at. I don't think the HC talks went that far, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came to that he would request it.

Agitated? Not really. As most everyone has pointed out, an agent does not drop a paying client. Marrone is paying his agent currently. It doesn't matter if he is a HC or not, Sexton is getting a cut right now. No one in the NFL will judge an agent by the clients he doesn't get HC jobs for. That is just a really silly idea. Agents don't get guys HC jobs anyway.

Can you name a single agent who has fired a client for not getting a HC job?

Clients fire agents.

Not agitated--just curious as to how you could get this so wrong.

I haven't "gotten anything wrong" -- I asked a question because I believe the world of sports agents is as much about relationships as anything. Sexton loses credibility when he consistently props up a guy who has now been turned down TWELVE times for HC jobs since he quit on Buffalo. Nobody wants to touch him. I can't give you an example because this is unprecedented -- both Marrone quitting and his subsequent (what appears to be) blackballing. It really looks like teams are interviewing him as a "favor" to Sexton. My premise is not as crazy as you want to make it appear. At some point Sexton could say, "look, Doug, this isn't working. If you still want to be a HC either go back to college or find another agent." I'm not saying it's likely -- just that it's possible.

I'm actually a little surprised Sexton hasn't tried to find Doug a job in college anyway -- that's the realm in which Sexton is really best known. It's probably because Doug is insisting he can get an NFL job.

In my business I "fire" clients all the time who make unreasonable demands -- despite the fact continuing to represent them would make me money at some point. It ain't just the dollars and cents.

It is obvious after all of his interviews over the last two years yielding nothing that he is not a good candidate for NFL HC. Not only were his offenses and OLs terrible though that was his "area" of expertise, but he showed quite explicitly that he's a fraud and not a leader of men, which is far from desirable when looking to hire the face of a franchise. He also showed a telling lack of confidence in himself to build a winning team when he left because he had two years left on his contract when he quit. He didn't think he could perform well enough to earn an extension and saw the opt out as the safe option. So he left. Not someone I would hire even for a normal job. If he felt he couldn't work with Whaley that is another bad sign. Every team involves the need to find a way to work with other key players in the organization. Marrone's Saint Doug crap and outbursts of "just fire me!"... Then taking off after 2 years shows that he's not willing to try.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@evansilva

Fact that Doug Marrone was actually discussed as a "hot" head-coaching candidate is a real tribute to his agent. Impressive puffery.

It also speaks volumes on how certain media "insiders" are sheep who follow along that exact narrative because they really don't understand how utterly unqualified he really is.

I haven't "gotten anything wrong" -- I asked a question because I believe the world of sports agents is as much about relationships as anything. Sexton loses credibility when he consistently props up a guy who has now been turned down TWELVE times for HC jobs since he quit on Buffalo. Nobody wants to touch him. I can't give you an example because this is unprecedented -- both Marrone quitting and his subsequent (what appears to be) blackballing. It really looks like teams are interviewing him as a "favor" to Sexton. My premise is not as crazy as you want to make it appear. At some point Sexton could say, "look, Doug, this isn't working. If you still want to be a HC either go back to college or find another agent." I'm not saying it's likely -- just that it's possible.

I'm actually a little surprised Sexton hasn't tried to find Doug a job in college anyway -- that's the realm in which Sexton is really best known. It's probably because Doug is insisting he can get an NFL job.

In my business I "fire" clients all the time who make unreasonable demands -- despite the fact continuing to represent them would make me money at some point. It ain't just the dollars and cents.

So teams interview Marrone as a favor because they like Sexton, but at the same time Marrone has hurt Sexton's reputation....how?

Again, teams don't hire a HC based on an who his agent is. EVERY owner and GM knows who every candidate is already. You have yet to describe how Sexton has been harmed--no one cares if he has one client that teams don't want as HC. Who doesn't understand that it's the agent job to sell ("prop up") his client?

This makes no sense at all. Why wouldn't Sexton be satisfied to continue to get a commission representing Marrone as a coach other than as HC? Do you think anyone he deals with thinks less of Sexton because a single client of his was;t offered a HC ob? No, you don't really think that.

You can't name a case where an agent fired a paying client because the agent failed to find the client a better job. Why isn't Marrone firing his ineffectual agent? And what "unreasonable demand" has Marrone made of Sexton?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Too bad for the guy.

I laugh when people tell me Marrone quit on the Bills. While technically true, i think Pegs got what he wanted. I think and i might be wrong, Pegs even saved a little money with Marrone quitting vs firing him. Please correct me if wrong.

i believe the story was that he asked for control over the 53 and they didn't give it to him, he asked for an extension for his assistants and they didn't give it to him, he asked for an extension for himself (with 2 years left) and they didn't give it to him. IMO he didn't trust himself to earn these things himself, so he bailed with the "golden parachute." I don't think they wanted to fire him, but they thought he needed to do more than 15-17 and no playoffs to get an extension. Edited by YoloinOhio

i believe the story was that he asked for control over the 53 and they didn't give it to him, he asked for an extension for his assistants and they didn't give it to him, he asked for an extension for himself (with 2 years left) and they didn't give it to him. IMO he didn't trust himself to earn these things himself, so he bailed with the "golden parachute." I don't think they wanted to fire him, but they thought he needed to do more than 15-17 and no playoffs to get an extension.

Yes, they were looking more for a guy who had gone 12-20 during that same period.

i believe the story was that he asked for control over the 53 and they didn't give it to him, he asked for an extension for his assistants and they didn't give it to him, he asked for an extension for himself (with 2 years left) and they didn't give it to him. IMO he didn't trust himself to earn these things himself, so he bailed with the "golden parachute." I don't think they wanted to fire him, but they thought he needed to do more than 15-17 and no playoffs to get an extension.

I hear ya, and have heard the similar story.

What ,if any, would of been the financial difference if the Bills had fired him vs him quitting? Again, i am not saying Pegs wanted to fire him.

I think it's pretty obvious that Marrone has f****d himself. The way he dipped thinking the grass was greener and he had the Jets job in the bag is proving to be the worst decision of his short NFL career. Unless he does an unbelievable job with the Jax OL next year I doubt he's ever mentioned as a HC candidate again.

How does a guy that gets this many interviews for HC jobs - not have any opportunities to be an OC as the fall back plan? He must not have very many friends in the league and/or he's not very respected as an offensive mind.

you already know the answer to that, my friend.

Am I counting right for the teams in the last 2 cycles that had the opportunity to hire Marrone but did not?

Jets

Fish

Browns

Titans

Raiders?

Broncos

Giants

Eagles

Bears

Bucs

Falcons

9ers

Over 1/3 of the league. Real hot candidate.

Wellll, according to "insiders" he was Top 3 and "the favorite for the Giants" job......can't believe all those teams passed on him. They must be stupit.

Am I counting right for the teams in the last 2 cycles that had the opportunity to hire Marrone but did not?

Jets

Fish

Browns

Titans

Raiders?

Broncos

Giants

Eagles

Bears

Bucs

Falcons

9ers

Over 1/3 of the league. Real hot candidate.

That would be correct with the cherry on top of Mularkey a three time loser getting hired over Maroon.

So teams interview Marrone as a favor because they like Sexton, but at the same time Marrone has hurt Sexton's reputation....how?

Again, teams don't hire a HC based on an who his agent is. EVERY owner and GM knows who every candidate is already. You have yet to describe how Sexton has been harmed--no one cares if he has one client that teams don't want as HC. Who doesn't understand that it's the agent job to sell ("prop up") his client?

This makes no sense at all. Why wouldn't Sexton be satisfied to continue to get a commission representing Marrone as a coach other than as HC? Do you think anyone he deals with thinks less of Sexton because a single client of his was;t offered a HC ob? No, you don't really think that.

You can't name a case where an agent fired a paying client because the agent failed to find the client a better job. Why isn't Marrone firing his ineffectual agent? And what "unreasonable demand" has Marrone made of Sexton?

You're just being argumentative for the sake of it -- I guess that's entertaining for you. I'm done responding.

You're just being argumentative for the sake of it -- I guess that's entertaining for you. I'm done responding.

If you're Mr. WEO you're argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. That's what you do.

If you want to save money on car insurance, switch to Geico. :w00t:

I think it's pretty obvious that Marrone has f****d himself. The way he dipped thinking the grass was greener and he had the Jets job in the bag is proving to be the worst decision of his short NFL career. Unless he does an unbelievable job with the Jax OL next year I doubt he's ever mentioned as a HC candidate again.

It seems to me that if we can all figure out Marrone's faults they have to be common knowledge in NFL circles...His agent does a good job keeping his name out there...Team are likely doing their due diligence...But in the end he ends up being pretty much exactly what they've heard he is... B-)

I'm just asking you to answer a simple question. You threw this out there as though it was a valid point yet you can't articulate an answer to a basic question regarding it's validity. Others have brought up the same question.

But OK.

If one owned an NFL team, why would you hire Marrone knowing that he quit on another team and took his golden parachute the way he did. This is St. Doug, we are talking about - not Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Nick Saban . . . . There are plenty of other candidates out there without having to hire someone who quit on his team/owner.

Marrone miscalculated big time. He obviously has not given a satisfactory explanation re what happened to any of the owners/teams with whom he has interviewed.

Guy took bad advice

He took his own advice. He believed that he had a backdoor agreement on the Jets job. They got nervous over a tampering charge so they looked for a different option. In the end it worked out for the Jets. They dispatched Rex. Got a better replacement and DM ended up sabotaging himself. Poetic justice.