How long before Sexton drops Marrone as a client?

eball

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think he and his agent aren't checking out the market in both the college and pro ranks? That's what agents do.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2014/12/21/7430209/michigan-coach-search-list-doug-marrone-buffalo-bills

My point is that "reports" are only as reliable as the author/source....Hmmmmm, just wondering who told LaCanoforo that Marrone was on a short list for the Michigan gig. Maybe it was.......nahhhhhhhh

House listing agents love to show a fix'er upper before they show the real (more expensive) bounty. In this sense, Marrone is the perfect client. Sexton can start by showing teams Marrone, the fix'er upper, and then follow him with a real, more attractive candidate. By the time the team is done interviewing Marrone, they'll be so desperate and depressed that they're certain to hire the next candidate they're shown.

Sadly, Brandon got excited about the renovation job. He must love picking out floor tiles...

It should be remembered that when Brandon, Whaley, and Mary Wilson (or whoever else) interviewed Doug, he could market himself as the former OC of the turn-around Saints and the successful turn-around HC of a college program - so he looked like a nice house, already renovated, no new floor tiles necessary. It was only AFTER he got his shot as a 2 year head coach of the Bills that people had reason to question whether the plumbing and wiring were up to code.

Someone should ask Shady McCoy the same question... make like Elsa and just let it go.

Imo

Wait, what am I missing here? Shady been tap-dancing on Kelly's pink slip?

My point is that "reports" are only as reliable as the author/source....Hmmmmm, just wondering who told LaCanoforo that Marrone was on a short list for the Michigan gig. Maybe it was.......nahhhhhhhh

My point is that agents and clients are very often behind the scenes looking at job openings. More often than not the overtures from colleges/pro teams and vice versa are not known to the public.

My point is that agents and clients are very often behind the scenes looking at job openings. More often than not the overtures from colleges/pro teams and vice versa are not known to the public.

This seems to be less true as time moves forward with so many leaks from informed sources via social media, etc.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Marrone is widely considered one of the top three head coaching candidates in the NFL.

People here may not want to hear it but Marrone will get another shot. I'm glad he left but don't understand all the animosity.

Face it...Schefter is throwing shitt on the wall and hoping it sticks. I could start a thread saying Tom Coughlin is the leading candidate for a head coaching job....when he gets one, will I look like an expert/insider?

If you had a PITA client taking up 10% of your time whining about how he needs to be considered for jobs waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy above his worth and that same client was earning you 1% of your income, you'd drop him. Time is money and Marrone wastes time. That's the theory behind dropping a client anyway.

Yup, and don't completely discount the knock to an agent's credibility if he keeps pushing a tainted prospect.

I don't understand your position on this issue? Why would he give up on Marrone as a client, even if he remains as a coordinator in this league. You don't think that the agent for DM can't be approached for a college job? It was reported that Marrone was a serious candidate for the Michigan job before Harbaugh was selected.

Your disdain for DM is understandable because of the way he left the organization. My position on his departure is different from yours. My belief is if a person is not happy doing what he is doing and where he is doing it then (in any type of profession) that person not only has a right to leave (as his contract stipulated) but should leave.

What I can say for sure is that Marrone did more with a lesser roster than the babbling Rex did with a better roster. That must really get your goat.

Marrone did not prove to be an effective HC and has now been turned down more times than FireChan in high school. He's poison. Don't make this about your crusade against Rex.

Yup, and don't completely discount the knock to an agent's credibility if he keeps pushing a tainted prospect.

Marrone did not prove to be an effective HC and has now been turned down more times than FireChan in high school. He's poison. Don't make this about your crusade against Rex.

Your premise makes no more sense now than when you started this thread. No one would ever hold anything against an agent for pushing a client (tainted?). Everyone knows how this works.

And do you really believe a HC is hired or not based on his agent's input?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Serious question -- Maroon has become something of a cancer, it seems, in the prospective HC candidate world. Interviews for lots of jobs, gets none. Can't get out from under the way he left Buffalo -- sorry, $4M doesn't explain it -- and more and more people have come to realize he's something of a tool.

If I'm Sexton, and Marrone doesn't get one of the remaining jobs and has to crawl back to OL duties in Jacksonville, I think my stint with him is done.

Did Marrone steal your lunch money as a kid? Time to move on man!

Your premise makes no more sense now than when you started this thread. No one would ever hold anything against an agent for pushing a client (tainted?). Everyone knows how this works.

And do you really believe a HC is hired or not based on his agent's input?

Agents drop pain-in-the-ass clients all the time. Unless Sexton and Douggie have a great personal relationship I simply offered the opinion that the return isn't worth the effort. You don't agree -- fine with me. It was a valid topic for discussion.

If I were an owner and entertained the idea of hiring this guy, the first thing I'd ask him would be why did he take the $4million and leave Buffalo in the lurch? He'd have to answer that pretty convincingly in order to be given a shot at the second question. In fact, I'd want a written response to that question before I'd grant him an interview at all.

If you had a PITA client taking up 10% of your time whining about how he needs to be considered for jobs waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy above his worth and that same client was earning you 1% of your income, you'd drop him. Time is money and Marrone wastes time. That's the theory behind dropping a client anyway.

Who says Marrone is whining?

I doubt if Sexton is working very hard on Marrone's behalf. He's set up a few interviews, answered a few inquiries, probably plugged Marrone a bit when he's been on calls.

Marrone was a mediocre HC here in Buffalo but he's still employable in the NFL. As long as he is, it makes sense for Sexton to keep him on as a client. Agents make money on any coach who can land a job, not just head coaches.