Whaley & Rex End of Season Presser; 1 Year to Fix the Team?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounded to me like the bills are prepared to surrender all their draft picks, pursue no outside free agents and keep 100% of the roster in tact.

Rex and Dougs favorite word of the day?

Confidence.

It's kinda the GB and Pittsburgh model. Draft well and keep your top end talent.

It's kinda the GB and Pittsburgh model. Draft well and keep your top end talent.

As it should be.

Now only if we keep drafting well

I understand the handcuff of spending so much last year, sounds like to me that it'll be a defensive heavy offseason

Edited by AlwaysBilleve

More importantly, draft a franchise QBs who hangs around for 12-15 years.

In all seriousness, though, the Bills seem pretty set at QB for the time being. Taylor is a smart, playmaking leader that no DC wants to face. He was great yesterday in tough conditions against a great run defense.

Edited by dave mcbride

In all seriousness, though, the Bills seem pretty set at QB for the time being. Taylor is a smart, playmaking leader that no DC wants to face.

The 2nd year is so key. Teams watch video and make big adjustments. RG3 (injury was a big part) and Nick Foles are two guys who struggle to follow up successful years.

But it was a nice start for Taylor. Our offense needs to be more consistent. Far too many 3 and outs and lags in scoring.

Jerry Sullivan already has his "Pay the man" column written. Just like he did for Fitz.

He's such an annoying little geek.

In all seriousness, though, the Bills seem pretty set at QB for the time being. Taylor is a smart, playmaking leader that no DC wants to face. He was great yesterday in tough conditions against a great run defense.

I would bet the shore up what they can this draft & FA while riding TT out. We should know within the first couple months of next season what we need to do. Hopefully a cap increase and dead money off the books we can go after a few FAs and god forbid make a move in the draft to grab a QB if TT is not the answer. If he is... B-)

The 2nd year is so key. Teams watch video and make big adjustments. RG3 (injury was a big part) and Nick Foles are two guys who struggle to follow up successful years.

But it was a nice start for Taylor. Our offense needs to be more consistent. Far too many 3 and outs and lags in scoring.

He's such an annoying little geek.

TT showed me a lot in that Jets game. He played great in what was a very meaningful game against a team with a near-elite defense.

TT showed me a lot in that Jets game. He played great in what was a very meaningful game against a team with a near-elite defense.

Don't disagree. I do think Taylor gets a pass more than past Bills Qbs. He had 7 games of less than 215 yards passing, including 6 under 200. We used to rip Qbs for that.

That said, he has great poise and his td to int ratio is tremendous. That is a hard stat to repeat however. Right now, I see Taylor as a good game manager but not a qb who can carry a team. That's why I would wait on an extension.

Don't disagree. I do think Taylor gets a pass more than past Bills Qbs. He had 7 games of less than 215 yards passing, including 6 under 200. We used to rip Qbs for that.

That said, he has great poise and his td to int ratio is tremendous. That is a hard stat to repeat however. Right now, I see Taylor as a good game manager but not a qb who can carry a team. That's why I would wait on an extension.

OK, for comparisons sake, Aaron Rodgers, considered one of the top, if not the top, QBs in the NFL, had 6 games of less than 215 yards and 3 games under 200 yards. He finished with 31 TD passes and only 8 INTs. He did not have a great year by his standards but this was his 8th season as starter. The team had a poor year but may have not made the playoffs without him.

I think Tyrod had a similar impact on the Bills season. Time will tell if he can repeat or improve on what he did this season.

The Bills need to let go of Harvin and Goodwin as they can't stay healthy as well as Hogan who is slow and inconsistent. They need a real #2 WR and better depth at WR. Maybe then, we'll see Taylor's passing yards go up.

Whaley on Tyrod: "We Believe in Him" (1:02)
The Bills general manager and head coach talk about Tyrod Taylor getting a contract extension.

Rex on Defense: "We Expect Better Results" (2:21)
The Bills head coach talks about how the familiarity with the defense after one year, will help moving into 2016.

In fairness he did make that point in the context of how important that is in the modern NFL.

Can't believe I just defended the team. :lol:

HA ! we got you finally ?

Bobby April Jnr.

Good Man.

he was in over his head. Linebackers are not ST's when on defense.

he forgot or something.

whats Pepper doing..

I had hoped until a few days ago for a Whaley press conference where he announced that Rex was fired.

Your right about that. Yet despite that and many other negatives, Ryan is still around. Go figure.

yep . go figure..

I think Tyler Dunne is great -- as good as any local NFL beat reporter in the country right now.

agreed.

The rest are being dragged down by the few

In fairness we had a top defense in 2014. Even with no changes at all, say Marrone and Schwartz still here, the likelihood of not making some fairly significant changes to the defense after two years is probably low. Or the alternative is, keep the D intact for two seasons, and watch it quickly go from top 3 to bottom 3 by holding onto players too long.

Very sad that a top 3 defense has to be rebuilt.

Someone didn't like Whaley's comment--

Whaley on rumors of discord: "It's tabloid reporting when things don't go well. Controversy sells. We've been unified from day one."

@bytimgraham

16 years of tabloid reporting.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think it's a natural progression. Start off a bit cautious, gain experiance and start to trust your eyes.

Next year we'll see more risk taking, and production, as he grows.

Edited by SWATeam

Hmmmm, listening to the clips from Rex and somehow all I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Yes Rex, we know you want to win for the community. How about extracting your head from your ass and actually do it instead of talking about it. As we learned from all your blather this year, words are cheap you asshat.

We can agree on that.

We've seen far too many Trend Downward's and JP Losman's in Buffalo to not know that film exposes every weakness in a QB.

The team has to self scout and identify and address Tyrod's weaknesses.

Offseason priority #1 is making him look BETTER next year.......not to just hope he matures and can repeat what he did this year.

Running the ball with power and being able to hit the deep ball with great regularity make it really hard to favor resources one way or the other..........and the run threat from the QB adds an element.

But he needs some other targets in here that he can make trust throws to if he is going to start resembling one of those elite QB's who can beat you when he needs to throw in 30-40 times.

Regarding complaints of Tyrod's passing yards per game... keep in mind he gained 568 yards on the ground, second most on the team. And the team as a whole led (or close to) the league in rushing. Tyrod didn't need to throw 300 yards a game to be productive. His total production was about 260 yards per game between passing and rushing. Compare to someone like Cousins, who so many are in love with... he averaged 260 ypg passing, and 3 ypg rushing.

Regarding complaints of Tyrod's passing yards per game... keep in mind he gained 568 yards on the ground, second most on the team. And the team as a whole led (or close to) the league in rushing. Tyrod didn't need to throw 300 yards a game to be productive. His total production was about 260 yards per game between passing and rushing. Compare to someone like Cousins, who so many are in love with... he averaged 260 ypg passing, and 3 ypg rushing.

doesnt matter to me. Teddy B threw 19 times last night for 99 and they beat the great Aaron Rodgers (at Lambeau) to win the NFC north and will host a playoff game. Wilson and Kap both bottom of league in pass attempts the years they went to the SB. It's a passing league... Sure. It's an everything league! Rivers was 2nd in the league in passing yards and won 4 games. Edited by YoloinOhio

Are people on here going to start believing that we're not actually going to really overhaul the D players yet? Whaley and Rex made that abundantly clear today. I think Mario's gone but we're not going to go full tear down / rebuild mode.

I'm sure tomorrow's PC will involve talking about how they wanted to make the playoffs but their end of season wins against a moribund Dallas team and the Jets give them hope for the future.

What won't be addressed is how, with the same management in place, the result will be different in 2016.

They also won't talk about why it's acceptable to spend 125M+ in guaranteed money this season to go 8-8.

Management needs to be held accountable for getting the tools and failing to make the playoffs despite playing the NFCE and AFCS.

My pre-emptive apology for being a "hater." :lol:

Are you a union employee?

Whaley on rumors of discord: "It's tabloid reporting when things don't go well. Controversy sells. We've been unified from day one."

@bytimgraham

Of course Tim Graham would get his panties in a twist over that comment. He is one of the most guilty parties when it comes to using innuendo and questionable sourcing to stir the pot with unsubstantiated gossip, generating clicks for his tripe. He is just about the worst "journalist" I have ever seen.

Are people on here going to start believing that we're not actually going to really overhaul the D players yet? Whaley and Rex made that abundantly clear today. I think Mario's gone but we're not going to go full tear down / rebuild mode.

I disagree to an extent.

First off....the other day Whaley said they needed another playmaker on D.

I think that would be a LB.......I think Rex would like to have a David Harris type ILB.

I also think that they will be looking for a NT and a 3-4 DE.

I think Mario, Kyle and Bradham will be gone and that Preston Brown might end up as a reserve.

The players they have can do it in stretches but undersized players at those DL spots in particular are more likely to wear down and get injured so I think they will address them.

They might stand pat at safety..............they actually do like the physical ability of Duke and Meeks.

Graham ended up getting posterized a few times but he actually had a really good year and was the most active player on D.

I also think that they may pick up Calvin Pace to team with Lawson if he's as cheap as he should be.

If something were to happen to Hughes then Pace can actually rush the passer a little.......which Manny can't.

And oddly enough, Buffalo was 7-0 in all of the games he passed for less than 215 yards.

He didn't need to pass for more than that. The offense was designed to be balanced and not require big passing days.

@bytimgraham

That's incredibly disingenuous of Timmah. Just because there has been discord before doesn't at all mean there is now, and Rex, in his first year shouldn't be held accountable for what discord happened before him. There is really nothing to believe that Rex and Whaley do not get along. It's impossible for a HC and a GM to agree completely on every move. I have screaming arguments with some of my cowriters and we both would say honestly that we get along fabulously.